SM OU Metronome Lele Offense ♛ (Peaked #1) ♛

Hello Smogon! I hope everyone is doing well <3
Today I have a special team for you and it's one of the best offense teams I have ever made.
I had a very huge success with this team and peaked #1 on the OU ladder Before I start with the team process I want you all to join my discord server.

https://discord.gg/CXqM9a5

And without further ado let's start with the team breakdown :D

I wanted to build a team around tapu lele because it is one of the best stallbreakers this meta has to offer.
Truly an incredible pokemon with fantastic breaking ability with very few switchins is just what i needed to break
any balance/stall team i face on the ladder and usually i face stall/balance on high ladder which is a great matchup
for this pokemon.

When i started seriously playing competitive pokemon back in 2014, one of my favorite teams consist of the Mega-Gardevoir/Latias combo
for the healing wish ability. This combination is still very powerful in USUM. However, it's not always necessary considering that the majority
of offensive pokemon outspeed Tapu-Lele in this meta. I would use healing wish in scenarios where im facing a bulky balanced team or stall
when my Lele has taken quite a bit of damage from status/residual damage. That way i can keep up the pressure and easily win the game.

Tapu fini was one of the most underrated pokemon in OU. It started to get alot of usage lately because of it's great utility in taunt/nature's madness
being able to damage so many of the metagame and being able to switch into alot of dangerous threats such as zard-x/greninja.
Honestly you can run both def/spdef depending on your team and it will suite you very well regardless of the spread.

Landorus-t needs no introduction. It's one of the very few S tier pokemon in Ou. It patches up alot of the holes that my team seems to struggle with
such as physical setup mons. It's also one of the best defensive pivots/sr setters in the game.

One of the more interesting sets on this team is sub/coil Zygarde. Definitely an unexpected set and a very powerful one indeed. It shuts down alot of the fast
electric types such as tapu koko and being able to easily tank hpice/dazzling gleam from it. It can also be a good breaker vs rain and pokemon like chansey/ferrothorn because after +1 gyro ball doesn't break the sub and chansey doesnt break it either with seismic toss. Overall a very decent pokemon and makes the team more solid.

Finally, I needed a good sweeper on my team and came to thought none other than this beast. Sg Magearna can shred through any team once you get rid of their steel-type. It can easily tank magma-storm from heatran along with other effective moves. It is incredibly bulky and pairing that with incredible breaking power in z-fleur cannon it certainly is a force to be reckoned with.

The Sets.

Hilda (Tapu Lele) @ Metronome
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt

My main breaker on this team. Absolute menace for stall/balance and can lure in it's counters (tran/ferrothorn).
Metronome has received a huge buff this gen being able to get plus 2 after 5 consecutive moves.
Pair that with psychic terrain and there are really no switchins beside celesteela and even then it takes alot from t-bolt.
I tend to use it very recklessly because if it gets weakened enough i can healing-wish it back later on.

Skarlet (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic

Mega-Latias provides excellent quick utility for the team and can survive for very long even without Recover.
Defog is crucial for magearna to clean-up late game and can relieve alot of pressure against more offensive builds.
It can also check alot of pokemon like protean-greninja which gives this team so much trouble. Usually it can tank icebeam and is able to revenge it with draco.
SD Kartana also can become a huge issue for this team and mega-latias is the only pokemon that can revenge kill it.

Kisame (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 16 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

When i built this team there was no question that landorus-t was exactly what I needed. A defensive pivot with great offensive presence and utility is just way too good.
Being able to check common threats like zard-x & pretty much any physical attacking pokemon out there its a true beast and a perfect addition to this offensively-structured build.

Naomi (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Nature's Madness

With my bulky-offense team structure it's very clear that alot of insanely fast threats are able to tear through every single pokemon on this team.
That's where Tapu Fini comes in. Mega Alakazam can easily shred this team if it weren't for tapu fini and I made it specially defensive because landorus already has a role of being a physical wall for the team. However, it can also tank a +2 acrobatics from hawlucha if it's not weakened enough. Overall a very solid pokemon and it really pulls the team together providing excellent coverage moves & taunt to prevent rocks/status.

Madara (Zygarde) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

Making a debut with a very unusual and underrated set is Zygarde. I invested max HP on it because i wanted to make sure that it can tank alot of hits such as hp-ice from Tapu Koko and it can even take a moonblast from scarfed Tapu Lele. A very bulky pokemon with very little countermeasure to it once you get a substitute with 1 coil it is very hard to deal with once your on the receiving end. Thousand arrows/Extremespeed provide excellent damage dealing tools and subcoil makes it easier to win against bulkier builds in general.

Evil wind-up toy (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Fleur Cannon

And finally, we have Shiftgear Magearna. I cannot possibly count how many times this pokemon saved me in sticky situations. It truly is my hero being able to easily clean up late-game especially against offense, being able to outspeed scarfed landorus after shiftgear and basically sweep through any team once you get rid of their steel type with Tapu Lele. It has excellent synergy with Lele/Zygarde and can outclass alot of common threats. Also, It can deal with Stickyweb pretty well if you lead off with it against shuckle and get the boost after you kill it. Basically one less thing you have to worry about when using this team :)

Conclusion

I had alot of fun playing with this team on the ladder and i hope you do too!
If you have any questions or suggestions be sure to message me on my discord server (link above). I would love to hear your feedback on this wonderful team. I hope you enjoyed this post as i put alot of effort into making it. And until next time i will catch you guys later :).

Evil wind-up toy (Magearna) @ Fairium Z
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Fleur Cannon

Hilda (Tapu Lele) @ Metronome
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt

Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic

EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 16 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Naomi (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Nature's Madness

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

By far the biggest threat to the team. I can deal with the scarf varient decently but you have to not let it get an SD at all cost.

Lele can't 2hko this with t-bolt. Usually i find a way to widdle it down.

Becomes kind of an issue after 2 SD's

+
This core is not that hard to break with Lele but it can give the team some trouble without it.

Last edited:
Nice team and RMT, but I just have one small but important thing to suggest:
Make a list of threats to your team. It is really important to know what a team is weak to for other players to ,kind of, adapt to those weaknesses.

For example: Your team doesnt seem to do too good versus Steela or Kyurem-Black. Those you could include.

Nice team and RMT, but I just have one small but important thing to suggest:
Make a list of threats to your team. It is really important to know what a team is weak to for other players to ,kind of, adapt to those weaknesses.

For example: Your team doesnt seem to do too good versus Steela or Kyurem-Black. Those you could include.
But aren't all teams weak to Kyurem or Steela? xD
I guess ill make a threat list for you guys if you want but a good ladder player will ALWAYS find a way around these threats.
Nobody should auto-lose to threats unless you get completely counter-teamed.
I only faced one guy on the ladder with Kartana/Celesteela stall. That matchup i can't win 90% of the time its just impossible.
But thank you for leaving this comment i really appreciate it <3

I guess ill make a threat list for you guys if you want but a good ladder player will ALWAYS find a way around these threats.
I only faced one guy on the ladder with Kartana/Celesteela stall. That matchup i can't win 90% of the time its just impossible.
Update: I just included the threat list.

I explicitly mentioned those, because they can be walled. Im not saying that theres a better solution, but yea your team is weak to those and they do have counters/checks. And yea, mons that p much cannot be checked defensively are mons like mawile or banded iron tail zygarde, which you also seem to be weak to. So, i probably would also include that.

But again, props for the team. Its p nice otherwise

Last edited:
That replay where you were fighting Chansey was priceless. If it's true you could live longer by laughing, I'd live to be 200 years old just from that replay.

Anyways, I want to talk about your Kartana problem. I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as funny for you if you got schooled by it – and given that Kartana is frequent, it's something you should look into. I know not if Latias is a sufficient answer to it.

You could consider Hidden Power Fire on Landog, as I see little need for Hidden Power Ice (only Zygarde appreciates Landog getting weaker, but this is the Coil set so IDK if it's needed even in that case). This would be helpful in the event Latias gets overwhelmed by some nonsense like Dazzling Gleam Koko. Koko does look a little menacing, but at least you're not 6-0'd by it.

Anyhow, that's all I have to say other than that replay was comedy gold.

That replay where you were fighting Chansey was priceless. If it's true you could live longer by laughing, I'd live to be 200 years old just from that replay.

Anyways, I want to talk about your Kartana problem. I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as funny for you if you got schooled by it – and given that Kartana is frequent, it's something you should look into. I know not if Latias is a sufficient answer to it.

You could consider Hidden Power Fire on Landog, as I see little need for Hidden Power Ice (only Zygarde appreciates Landog getting weaker, but this is the Coil set so IDK if it's needed even in that case). This would be helpful in the event Latias gets overwhelmed by some nonsense like Dazzling Gleam Koko. Koko does look a little menacing, but at least you're not 6-0'd by it.

Anyhow, that's all I have to say other than that replay was comedy gold.
I was in tears while facing that guy lmfaoooo
I faced him a couple of times before which made it extra funny hahah. We actually ended up becoming friends after so no hard feelings there xD
He's actually number 1 right now so lets wish him the best on his endevours <3

And about the Kartana problem, I was thinking about replacing hpice with Fly on landorus, because it gives me something for hawlucha aswell.
But they can always switch out after i do that move so there's also that.
Overall my landorus set covers both pokemon really well as it gets off the intimidate on kartana so latias can take a hit on switch and also u-turn out on hawlucha to kill it with fini. Besides, having hpfire on landorus makes it useless against hawlucha as i have to always switch out if they have roost.

Thank you for leaving your feedback though i really appreciate all the comments ;)

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, cool team! I only have 1 suggestion because the team looks solid tbh:

Scarf greninja > Fini. Fini you were great in early sm, but actually you are horrible, sorry :(. Scarf greninja give you speed control which you havent on your team and also spikes, because you are not going to defog many times with your lati withiut defog. It also helps you to have a mon that can revenge kill kartana with ice beam.
Test it and say me how it works!

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hello!
Really cool team, defog Latias is pretty interesting with healing wish. I've been using it for a while and it's definitely a surprisingly good pokemon. That metronome Lele is definitely a fun tool to break past chansey, good job!

I can understand the goal of the team which is basically to wallbreak with lele and sweep with magearna, however I think u could tweak it a bit and get a similar result. The idea would be to get rid of tapu fini which doesnt synergize at all with the rest of the team, because it doesnt help at all vs ammonguss, ferrothorn and tapu koko which are quite dangerous to your team. Ferrothorn can also switchin for free vs lando, tapufini and spam leechseeds. Of course u can taunt or play aggressively, but a team with 2 dragons and 3 fairies and no Ferro answer can have a hard time vs ferro- based teams. Fini isnt overall a great pokemon unless u need a defogger able to punish heatran and greninja. You don't even use it with defog so I think that part of the team can be improved by using:

AssaultVest Magearna > Tapu fini

Evil wind-up toy (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch

This set fits perfectly in offense and pairs extremely well with landorus T. It provides a switchin to tapulele and AlakazamMega which basically wreck ur team, while pivoting and sharing great synergy with zygarde, mainly vs tapukoko which will be scared of using Hpice and seeing a magearna switching in and starting to pivot into lele and zygarde. Hp fire is much needed so ferrothorn wont have many switchin opportunities, contrary to the tapufini version. Mag also beats opposing SG magearna which can sweep ur team with tbolt and icebeam.
However by doing this i'm taking away your wincondition.

ChoiceScarf Kartana > SG magearna

Naomi (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Defog / Knock off

Kartana is one of the best winconditions of SMOU, while being an extremely reliable revenge killer. The ability to stop ferrothorn in its leech seed spam and spike stacking is definitely awesome in a team packing various dragons and fairies. Even though it isnt obvious until u have tested it on the field, TapuLele+Kartana is an incredibly potent core: Lele always does his job of pulverizing steel types and heavily weakening Magearna, to the point where Kartana can freely spam leafblade and sweep.
Kartana also provides a decent answer to opposing Kartanas, if u make the right plays with landorus to scout for leafblade and pivot with your kartana then.
Defog is helpful to directly remove ferrothorns hazards, but if you arent confortable with two defoggers, knock off is the right choice so as to prevent celesteela from easily stalling your team.

Now I would like to suggest something really helpful for your celesteela matchup:

ElectriumZ Tapu lele > metronome

Hilda (Tapu Lele) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder

252 SpA Tapu Lele Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 156 SpD Celesteela: 344-406 (86.6 - 102.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Good to know: 252 SpA Tapu Lele Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 220-259 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not much to explain, I just got rid of metronome which is fun but not really useful since tapu lele switchins will immediately force it out or force the use of a coverage move like ferrothorn, heatran and other steel types. Z thunder guarantees a kill vs celesteela which is the top threat to your team: even if your oppo knows you are Z thunder he wont have an other choice than going teela because everything else will probably be Ko'd by psychock or moonblast.

I hope I helped improving your team, by using a much needed celesteela lure, and tweaking the tapufini and lategame sweeper part. The team features a really cool synergy as a DFS offense, which are quite rare but capitalize on overwhelming opposing steels mainly: thats why I beg your pardon for changing Lele's item so as to better pressure the monster that celesteela is.

See ya:)​

Chansey and Mew are going ot be harder to break past without a metronome: however most mews are used with a celesteela so thats a vicious circle, while chansey can wall tapulele. Thats why you could try using Toxic>Espeed on Zygarde to better handle defensive teams, especially with healing wish support:

EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic

The spread outspeed adamant bisharp.

Important: If they run mew it will be as a zygarde counter, thats why toxicing it means tapu lele is suddenly able to 100% beat mew. Synchronize sucks, but again healing wish is awaiting...

Tapu Lele @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Evil wind-up toy (Magearna) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Naomi (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Toxic
- Thousand Arrows

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)