item: Expert Belt
ability: Synchronize
nature: Rash
evs: 112 Atk / 220 SpA / 176 Spd

Why this set deserves to be on the site
  • Great coverage
  • Surprise factor
  • Can lure in many of Mew's regular counters and catch them off guard
  • Can break down common cores to a point where the rest of your team can sweep through
  • Great power off the bat without having to use a boosting move

Overview
  • 176 Spd EVs give Mew enough speed to outrun 252 Timid Heatran, Lucario, Dragonite, most Celebi, etc.
  • 220 SpA + Rash gives Mew a lot of power behind its attacks
  • 112 Atk lets Mew severely dent Heatran, Blissey, Chansey, etc. and KO 252 HP Tyranitar
  • With Mew's 100/100/100 defenses, it can still take hits pretty well even without invesment

Additional Comments
  • Life Orb can be used for more power on neutral attacks, although with Mew's great coverage, Life Orb can just wear Mew down instead of helping it
  • Flamethrower can be used for improved accuracy, although Fire Blast packs a larger punch
  • Thunderbolt can be used to hit Starmie, Jellicent, etc.
  • Psyshock could be used to hit Pokemon such as Gastrodon harder

Teammates, Checks, and Counters
  • Works well with sweepers that appreciate Pokemon being gone that this set lures in and kills (Heatran, Tyranitar, Scizor, weakened Blissey, etc.)
  • Helps if you have a spinner, as it will prolong Mew's life span
  • Status can cripple or wear down Mew, preventing it from being used to its full potential
  • Starmie, Slowbro, and Jellicent can deal with variants lacking Thunderbolt
  • Reuniclus sets up on Mew
  • U-Turn spam from Pokemon such as Landorus will break down Mew quickly

I'd add Chansey as a check. Superpower is only going to be doing 39%HP - 46%HP on the first hit, and it's going to get significantly weaker as its use is continued. I'd imagine Chansey would get in a Softboiled and negate any previous damage. I'm not exactly sold on the idea of using a Modest nature on this set for that reason too. You're making the sole Physical attack on this set weaker by doing so. I suggest using a Rash nature instead, as not much will threaten its Special Defence like Scizor and other U-Turners can its Defence. I Ran this calculation (Superpower vs Chansey), and it's a more significant chunk of damage done, going from 39%HP - 46%HP to 43%HP - 51%HP damage done. This could be the difference in a 2HKO/3HKO and a 3HKO/4HKO.

I really don't think that Mew has the direct power to pull off a mixed attacker set honestly. With Life Orb, it might be able to, but SD or NP Mew work better as wallbreakers/sweepers.

I'd add Chansey as a check. Superpower is only going to be doing 39%HP - 46%HP on the first hit, and it's going to get significantly weaker as its use is continued. I'd imagine Chansey would get in a Softboiled and negate any previous damage. I'm not exactly sold on the idea of using a Modest nature on this set for that reason too. You're making the sole Physical attack on this set weaker by doing so. I suggest using a Rash nature instead, as not much will threaten its Special Defence like Scizor and other U-Turners can its Defence. I Ran this calculation (Superpower vs Chansey), and it's a more significant chunk of damage done, going from 39%HP - 46%HP to 43%HP - 51%HP damage done. This could be the difference in a 2HKO/3HKO and a 3HKO/4HKO.

I really don't think that Mew has the direct power to pull off a mixed attacker set honestly. With Life Orb, it might be able to, but SD or NP Mew work better as wallbreakers/sweepers.
Sorry, Modest was a mistake, I meant to put Rash.

This set isn't directed to sweep, but more path the way for sweepers by catching their counters off guard.

Mew was kept in ubers for 4 generations due to it's unpredictability, and yet the only sets anyone ever uses are the stall-breaker, and occasionally the nasty plot one, so I think that this is a pretty great idea. However, I think that surprise factor is pretty much detrimental to this set's success, and if I run into a mew not holding leftovers, alarm bells are going to go off for sure. I was theorizing about a sub-punch set the other day, and I'm wondering if it might be more effective here, simply for more surprise value, the ability to easily beat both Bliss, and Chansey, and some form of recovery to ofset it's average speed and currently uninvested bulk. Here's the set I was toying with:

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 40 SAtk / 96 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/ Fire Blast

The Evs may be a bit sloppy and it might not be what you were going for, but hey it's food for thought. It OHKO's 252hp / 252def Chansey 100% and has the bulk to set up on a plethora of mons. the max hp investment required for 101 subs takes away from the actual power, but the bulk let's you stick around and let's you set up subs on a few slower or bulkier mons. The EVs also offer a bit less speed only hitting 260 to outpace Dnite. Hard countered by Jelly, Bro, and Starmie with recover, but it's pretty easy to take advantage of those with other mons like Celebi and Ferrothorn.

Tl;dr: , weird set I thought about the other day, might be worth a shot. Bulkier than the proposed one, so idk if it's really what you were going for. Still opens holes, and lures stuff in. Also hi Thundur.

First, I want to get this off of my chest:
220 SpA + Rash gives Mew a lot of power behind its attacks
Without LO, or any boosting item, 320 Special Attack isn't all that threatening, once you take Mew's typing and Speed stat into account. The player using Mew has to predict well, or risk being forced out, and possibly quickly worn down by residual damage.
Can break down common cores to a point where the rest of your team can sweep through
FerroCent beats this; Chansey, if used in any defensive core, can beat this; and Gastrodon really laughs at this set. Offensive cores usually have enough bulk and / or Speed to not constantly be forced out by this Mew. The huge loss in speed (328 to 280) and power (no LO) greatly hampers Mew's survivability and offensive potential.
--------
Nowhere in the OP do you state why this set isn't put to shame by, not only Mew's already staggering surprise factor, but other mixed attackers. Infernape and Mienshao are great examples of offensively-based Pokemon that will often go mixed in order to deal with certain threats; their great offenses and speed give this particular Mew set very tough competition.

Mew's Nasty Plot and stallbreaker sets, by themselves, differ enough that it's already intractable for standard teams to regain momentum lost due to misassumptions, let alone cover both sets fully. It doesn't help that this set shares the same checks and counters with Mew's other offensive sets (Jellicent, Starmie, ScarfTar, etc). After Mew uses Psychic [and isn't recovering damage from Leftovers] it's very safe to assume that the Mew in question is not a defensive variant. Consequently, the opposing player will not switch in a Pokemon that generally cannot do much damage, in order to prevent Mew from potentially getting multiple free boosts. Sure, a mixed attacking Mew is able to net one or two kills, but not due to the opposition being "surprised". This set, while unexpected, does not have the tools needed to capitalize on misplays and forced moves, more efficiently than Nasty Plot or Baton Pass Mew; i.e, this set boasts a mid-risk, low reward deal when compared to Mew's other options.

To put this into a clearer perspective: Mienshao, for example, is able to effectively break defensive Pokemon in two, without the need of a surprise factor, and usually does not care much about taking smaller amounts of damage, due to Regenerator. Mienshao is able to mix up its moveset a bit, utilizing its ability and support movepool (Baton Pass), in order to overcome its typical problems (Ghosts). Infernape does not suffer from 4MS as badly as Mew, due to its great dual STAB options, and can hammer through many of its typical checks with a single moveslot change. Nasty Plot Mew doesn't face any problems that this set can trounce -- bulky waters, Lati@s faster Pokemon in general, residual damage, and weather. Simply put, this set simply does not stand out from Mew's already used options, and thus, imo at least, has no need to be included in Mew's OU analysis.

tl;dr, Mew already has more than enough options to give it the advantage against a team that misplays against it. There's really no reason to drastically low Mew's offensives, especially considering that there are many better options available.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm not too sure about this set. Chansey can easily take a Superpower and just keep recovering, as Blissey if it is at -1. Also, one advantage of Mew over Azelf is its bulk, but after a Superpower; Scizor, Tyranitar and many others can come in and just Puruit for the kill. Also Mew is pretty weak (split 100/100 offenses aren't great) so this set relies on its coverage, which admittedly it has, to hit hard. Without max Speed though, it can't be a good cleaner (which is what Pokemon with great coverage should be doing).

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't like it. It feels like it's trying to be a bad Azelf. Bulk is nice, but not on a Pokemon that's trying to do what this set is, and it has a lot of problems with the fact that its main STAB is so damned weak neutrally.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to reject this.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

Yeah I'd honestly always prefer Nasty Plot. All this really have is Superpower (which doesn't even help against Chansey compared to +2 Aura Sphere) and a tiny extra surprise factor.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's too late to have any positive opinion on this, so, I'm sorry. If I were to use any set reminisce of this, it would probably be some kind of Three Attacks set with Life Orb, and either Nasty Plot or Roost.

QC Rejected (3/3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)