UU Mienshao

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
[OVERVIEW]

Mienshao is a good fast pivot due to its access to U-turn and Knock Off in conjunction with Regenerator and an Assault Vest, allowing it to constantly pivot in and chip foes throughout a game. Furthermore, its high Speed lets it outspeed metagame staples such as Hydreigon, Celebi, and Nihilego, which greatly bolsters its ability as a pivot, and its pure Fighting typing enables Mienshao to check some of the tier's key threats in Hydreigon and Kyurem. Mienshao can also switch into other special attackers more easily due to its resistance to Stealth Rock and its increased special bulk from an Assault Vest. However, its typing also leaves it vulnerable to several key attacking types in Fairy, Flying, and Psychic, and it struggles with foes such as Mega Altaria, Moltres, and Latias as a result. While Mienshao may be able to switch into some special attacks due to its Assault Vest, it has minimal physical bulk, which makes it vulnerable to priority moves from Scizor, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt and faster physical attackers like Terrakion and Zeraora.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: High Jump Kick
move 2: Knock Off
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Fake Out
item: Assault Vest
ability: Regenerator
nature: Jolly
evs: 100 HP / 156 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

High Jump Kick is run due to its high Base Power, enabling Mienshao to OHKO Hydreigon and Empoleon. Knock Off enables Mienshao to remove the items of its switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Alomomola, and Primarina. U-turn lets Mienshao act as an offensive pivot, which can help it in unfavorable matchups against Pokemon that resist its moves or aren't crippled by Knock Off such as Mega Altaria and Mega Slowbro. Fake Out chips faster foes that threaten to KO Mienshao, such as Mega Beedrill and Infernape, and provides it with a way to pick off extremely weakened sweepers such as Dragon Dance Kommo-o. It is also extremely effective at racking up chip damage when stacked with poison or burns.

Set Details
========

100 HP and 156 Special Defense EVs combined with an Assault Vest allow Mienshao to take Devastating Drake or a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Hydreigon or a Draco Meteor from +1 Latias. An alternative spread of 132 HP / 136 SpD / 240 Spe hits the same defensive benchmarks while sacrificing some Speed for HP to help in the matchup against physical attackers. Regenerator enables Mienshao to be a consistent pivot throughout a game so it can consistently check Hydreigon and other special attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Mienshao should be used primarily to pivot into special attackers like Hydreigon and Nihilego. It can also be switched into passive Pokemon such as Blissey that it doesn't fear much from; however, it must be wary of status. Once on the field, Mienshao should try to pivot out and generate offensive momentum with U-turn. It can also use U-turn to capitalize on the switches it can force against top-tier Pokemon like Hydreigon and Empoleon. Mienshao should attempt to stay healthy throughout the course of a match to ensure it can consistently check what it needs to. Pivoting or switching it out to recover health with Regenerator after taking an attack helps with this, but it should avoid taking strong attacks unless necessary. If a Pokemon that relies heavily on its item to function, such as Suicune or Choice Specs Primarina, is predicted to switch in, using Knock Off to punish it and thus lessening a threat to Mienshao's teammates is preferred as opposed to switching it out immediately. Against defensive teams, Mienshao functions best as a means to cripple key stall staples and passive Pokemon like Alomomola and Quagsire with the removal of their items, which can make it easier for its more offensive teammates to break through them. Despite Mienshao's lack of offensive investment, it can be used to KO certain frailer offensive threats like Lucario due to its naturally high Attack combined with a high-Base Power STAB move. It must scout for Protect users that can force it to lose 50% of its HP, however, such as Empoleon and Nihilego. Mienshao can be used as an effective switch-in to Volt Switch from Mega Manectric due to its high special bulk and ability to regain HP through Regenerator and pivoting.

Team Options
========

Mienshao fits best on offensive and bulkier or balanced builds alike that need a fast pivot capable of taking on Dark-types. It pairs extremely well with other Regenerator users, such as Amoonguss and Slowbro, to form a strong Regenerator core that aids and strengthens Mienshao's pivoting ability. These partners can also help Mienshao due to their high physical bulk that enables them to check strong physical attackers like Terrakion for it. Mienshao does not have the offensive presence to be able to break through bulkier teams and cores effectively, so it pairs well with strong wallbreakers like Mamoswine, Choice Specs Primarina, and Choice Band Crawdaunt. In return, it can pivot these slower Pokemon into play without them having to take prior damage. Due to the number of switches forced by Mienshao, entry hazard support helps it further punish opposing switches; Stealth Rock setters such as Mega Steelix, Gligar, Nihilego, and Nidoqueen make good partners. Additionally, the latter two can set up Toxic Spikes, which pair extremely well with Fake Out from Mienshao. Flying-type checks like Mega Aerodactyl, Rotom-H, and Diancie can patch up Mienshao's weaknesses to key offensive threats in Moltres and Togekiss, and Mienshao can provide pivoting and Knock Off utility for them in return. Mienshao is susceptible to all forms of status, preventing it from performing its role adequately. As a result, clerics such as Florges, Blissey, and Togekiss make good partners. Entry hazards can prevent Mienshao from being able to survive powerful attacks due to the chip damage they provide; thus, pairing it with hazard removal options such as Empoleon, Tentacruel, and Florges is beneficial. Priority moves from the likes of Scizor, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt can pick off a weakened Mienshao due to its low physical bulk, so pairing it with physically defensive priority checks such as Mega Aggron and Suicune helps alleviate this.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mienshao can opt to run a more offensive set of High Jump Kick / Knock Off / U-turn / Poison Jab with maximum Attack EVs and the Reckless ability combined with a Choice Band, which functions best on Sticky Web teams, but despite its additional power, this directly competes with Terrakion, which is faster and has a secondary STAB option that threatens typical Fighting-resistant foes. The same set can also be run with a Choice Scarf, but it becomes a lot weaker and struggles to compete with Choice Scarf Infernape as a pivot, which has better coverage and secondary STAB options as well. Stone Edge can be run to punish Flying-types, such as Moltres and Togekiss, that otherwise switch into Mienshao for free.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Aside from removing their items and pivoting out of their attacks, Mienshao is left helpless against Pokemon like Primarina, which can fire off a strong attack; Florges, which can remove entry hazards or heal itself and its teammates; and Mega Altaria, which can set up a Dragon Dance or attack.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Moltres, Togekiss, and Crobat resist Mienshao's STAB attack, can switch in without any major issues, and force it out. Mega Aerodactyl struggles to switch in but is faster and can force Mienshao out with potential Flying-type STAB moves.

**Physical Attackers**: Mienshao is threatened significantly by faster physical attackers it can't effectively pivot out of, such as Terrakion, as well as key priority users, such as Scizor and Crawdaunt.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Due to Mienshao's relative lack of offensive presence, it cannot break through Pokemon such as Alomomola, Hippowdon, and Jellicent, and these Pokemon can all cripple it with some form of status. However, none of these Pokemon appreciate the removal of their items.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[martha, 384270]]
- Earlier versions by: [[faded love, 241308], [Highways, 304564]]
- Quality checked by: [[Nuked, 382658], [Hilomilo, 313384], [A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157]]

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi, I'm your biggest fan, amcheck nwn

Overview
  • “offensive pivot” is a stretch. Mienshao has 0 atk investment and it’s damage output is underwhelming because of it. Idk if i’d go all the way to defensive pivot. But I wouldn’t explicitly say it’s an offensive pivot.
  • I definitely wouldn’t say Mienshao checks Krook. It’s not a knock absorber, it’s item is important to effectively check shit like Hydreigon. On top of that it can’t switch into EQ.
  • Reword the last point a bit. Yes everything you’re saying is true but it’s not as simple as just things that move before it. Physical attackers in general give it trouble, especially because it has 0 atk investment, it’s not like it just wins 1v1 vs every phys attacker that doesn’t outspeed it.
Moves
  • Replace Moltres for Mega Slowbro as another example. Moltres isn’t foreign to running lefties and even when it doesn’t, Flame Body can be annoying for Mienshao U-Turning.
  • I don’t really like either of these examples for Fake Out. Mienshao lives any hit from most Lati variants from full, and in scenarios where you’re not full hp it means you’ve probably been on the field for at least a turn… making Fake Out not a move you can use anyways. Also the chip you get on Terrak w/ Fake Out is like absurdly trivial. Even after the Fake Out chip, you’re not in range of Hippo EQ, Slowbro Scald, etc. So imo replace them both owo.
Usage Tips
  • While Mienshao does pivot into dark type moves very well n shit, it’s absolutely not a Knock Off absorber. When you mention things like Krook and Muk you make it seem that way. Losing it’s AV makes it significantly less useful as it can’t come in on nearly as much.
  • I definitely wouldn’t say it can switch into passive mons such as Hippo and Bronzong. Bronzong maybe but it takes 60-70% from Hippo EQ.
  • Maybe not be so specific with Blissey, Alo, and Quag. Mienshao can cripple pretty much any fat mon whether it’s something seen more on balance like Swampert, or Alo on stall. Remove the direct mention of stall and just say fat mons, and name some fat mons.
  • Definitely remove the Mega Sharpedo mention for 2 reasons. Most of the time it’ll probably be at least +1 speed and can OHKO you with Psychic Fangs. And even if it isn’t at +1 speed it can just protect on your HJK and you’ll take 50%.
  • Maybe mention how it can kind of be used as a volt switch absorber due to it being able to regen all the hp back and more by just U-Turning out.
Team Options
  • This breaker point is good but idk about the Mamoswine mention. Mamoswine is very splashable on like offense oriented teams while Mienshao is used a lot on bulkier teams. Regen spam teams/BOish balance. A lot of the time when building this mon you really can’t afford to plop an aoa Mamoswine, especially because of the scizor weakness stacking.
  • I would definitely change the 2 examples in Chesnaught and Jellicent. Imo Slowbro is a bulky water that pairs infinitely better w/ av shao than Jelli does. So idk why i’d use Jelli when I could use bro unless I DESPERATELY need a spinblocker and taunt for whatever reason. The Chesnaught mention is just stacking fighting types for no real reason. Fighting spam isn’t bad in UU but idk why I’d use Ches + Mienshao when Amoonguss is an option.
  • Mention birdy checks like Maero, Diancie, etc. The regen spam core has no switch ins to fly z Moltres.
Other Options
  • Remove the Hydreigon mention. It’s pretty unfair to compare scarf shao to scarf drei. You’d use them in two diff situations while building completely. Infernape is it’s main competition and that’s because of it’s ability to check Scizor, being faster, better defensive and offensive typing, etc etc. Mienshao just hits harder.

Hi, I'm your biggest fan, amcheck nwn (fake, this is actually me)

Overview
  • “offensive pivot” is a stretch. Mienshao has 0 atk investment and it’s damage output is underwhelming because of it. Idk if i’d go all the way to defensive pivot. But I wouldn’t explicitly say it’s an offensive pivot.
  • I definitely wouldn’t say Mienshao checks Krook. It’s not a knock absorber, it’s item is important to effectively check shit like Hydreigon. On top of that it can’t switch into EQ.(Replace with either Nihilego or Kyurem)
  • Reword the last point a bit. Yes everything you’re saying is true but it’s not as simple as just things that move before it. Physical attackers in general give it trouble, especially because it has 0 atk investment, it’s not like it just wins 1v1 vs every phys attacker that doesn’t outspeed it.
Moves
  • Replace Moltres for Mega Slowbro as another example. Moltres isn’t foreign to running lefties and even when it doesn’t, Flame Body can be annoying for Mienshao U-Turning.
  • I don’t really like either of these examples for Fake Out. Mienshao lives any hit from most Lati variants from full, and in scenarios where you’re not full hp it means you’ve probably been on the field for at least a turn… making Fake Out not a move you can use anyways. Also the chip you get on Terrak w/ Fake Out is like absurdly trivial. Even after the Fake Out chip, you’re not in range of Hippo EQ, Slowbro Scald, etc. So imo replace them both owo. (Replace Lati with Mega Beedrill since it always leads and replace Terrak with Volcanion since often you'll use it on slower mons like it to put them in range of HJK)
Usage Tips
  • While Mienshao does pivot into dark type moves very well n shit, it’s absolutely not a Knock Off absorber. When you mention things like Krook and Muk you make it seem that way. Losing it’s AV makes it significantly less useful as it can’t come in on nearly as much.
  • I definitely wouldn’t say it can switch into passive mons such as Hippo and Bronzong. Bronzong maybe but it takes 60-70% from Hippo EQ. (Definitely replace this Hippo mention but Bronzong is prolly fine unless you can think of a better example)
  • Maybe not be so specific with Blissey, Alo, and Quag. Mienshao can cripple pretty much any fat mon whether it’s something seen more on balance like Swampert, or Alo on stall. Remove the direct mention of stall and just say fat mons, and name some fat mons. (Alo and Quag fit well under fat mons also but you'd just HJK a blissey)
  • Definitely remove the Mega Sharpedo mention for 2 reasons. Most of the time it’ll probably be at least +1 speed and can OHKO you with Psychic Fangs. And even if it isn’t at +1 speed it can just protect on your HJK and you’ll take 50%.
  • Maybe mention how it can kind of be used as a volt switch absorber due to it being able to regen all the hp back and more by just U-Turning out. (This is true, and you can even list some volt users)
Team Options
  • This breaker point is good but idk about the Mamoswine mention. Mamoswine is very splashable on like offense oriented teams while Mienshao is used a lot on bulkier teams. Regen spam teams/BOish balance. A lot of the time when building this mon you really can’t afford to plop an aoa Mamoswine, especially because of the scizor weakness stacking.
  • I would definitely change the 2 examples in Chesnaught and Jellicent. Imo Slowbro is a bulky water that pairs infinitely better w/ av shao than Jelli does. So idk why i’d use Jelli when I could use bro unless I DESPERATELY need a spinblocker and taunt for whatever reason. The Chesnaught mention is just stacking fighting types for no real reason. Fighting spam isn’t bad in UU but idk why I’d use Ches + Mienshao when Amoonguss is an option. (Bro also forms the Regen core which is hella annoying and probably worth mentioning when you replace)
  • Mention birdy checks like Maero, Diancie, etc. The regen spam core has no switch ins to fly z Moltres.
Other Options
  • Remove the Hydreigon mention. It’s pretty unfair to compare scarf shao to scarf drei. You’d use them in two diff situations while building completely. Infernape is it’s main competition and that’s because of it’s ability to check Scizor, being faster, better defensive and offensive typing, etc etc. Mienshao just hits harder.
Do all that and also replace one of the mentions in Physically Defensive Pokemon because these mentions hate knock a little too much as a whole.

am check

[Overview]

- Mienshao is a good fast pivot due to its access to U-turn and Knock Off in conjunction with Regenerator, allowing it to constantly pivot in and chip foes throughout a game.
I wouldn't call Mienshao a "good fast pivot", instead I think you should call it "a niche utility pivot", or something along those lines at least.

It also fails to adequately damage many physical attackers due to its lack of Attack investment.
I think you meant to say physically defensive walls instead of physical attackers.

Access to Fake Out is probably something notable enough to mention.

[Set Details]

- 100 HP and 156 Special Defense EVs combined with an Assault Vest allow Mienshao to take Devastating Drake or a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Hydreigon, or it can also survive +1 Latias's Draco Meteor.
Also 2 Draco Meteor's from Choice Scarf Hydreigon most of the time without Stealth Rock damage.

- Regenerator enables Mienshao to be a consistent pivot throughout a game so it can consistently check Dark-types and other special attackers.
Mention Hydreigon instead of "Dark-types", because the other 3 common Dark-types (Krookodile, Mega Sharpedo, and Alolan Muk) are physical attackers, and Mienshao really struggles to check them.

[Usage Tips]

- Mienshao should be used primarily to pivot into special attackers like Hydreigon and other special attackers it can punish like Nihilego. It can also be switched into passive Pokemon such as Blissey and Bronzong that it doesn't fear much from; however, it must be wary of status.
Gyro Ball from Bronzong has a good chance to 2HKO Mienshao after Stealth Rock damage, the same goes for Psychic, which is run every once in a while.

- Mienshao can be used as an effective switch-in to Volt Switch from Mega Manectric, Zeraora, and Rotom-H due to its high special bulk and ability to regain HP through Regenerator and pivoting.
I don't think you should mention Zeraora or Rotom-H here. Zeraora can, and most like will use Plasma Fists if you're using Mienshao to take a Volt Switch and Rotom-H can use Will-O-Wisp or Toxic to significantly cripple Mienshao.

[Team Options]

- Flying-type checks like Nihilego, Rotom-H, and Mega Aerodactyl can patch up Mienshao's weaknesses to key offensive threats in Moltres and Togekiss. Mienshao can provide pivoting and Knock Off utility for them in return.
I'd add Diancie here as well because it's probably one of the most sturdy Flying-type checks available.

I also think you could add a bullet about hazard removal, because Mienshao is bothered a lot by hazards actually, mainly because they give Hydreigon the ability to OHKO/2HKO it pretty reliably.

[Checks and Counters]

**Fairy-types**: Aside from removing their items and pivoting out of thier attacks, Mienshao is left helpless against Pokemon like Primarina, Florges, and Mega Altaria, which can switch into Mienshao several times and force it out.
I think "which can switch into Mienshao several times and force it out" is rather redundant so you could probably remove it.

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Implement Jordy's AM check with the exception of the following proposed change:
I wouldn't call Mienshao a "good fast pivot", instead I think you should call it "a niche utility pivot", or something along those lines at least.
Mienshao's becoming a lot less niche lately, so I'd instead say something between those phrasing options. "Good utility pivot" sounds the best to me. Otherwise solid work Jordy!

Overview
* I think it'd be useful to sprinkle in a few more mentions of Assault Vest throughout this section. The first and third bullet points would be specifically good to add mentions to, since this would give readers a better feel for Mienshao's niche and what specifically it does in the meta. Right now I'm not sure I'm seeing enough references to its ability to sponge special hits well, so this would also patch up that issue.

Set/Moves
* Volcanion isn't faster than Mienshao, so I'd replace that example with something like Infernape.
* I would give Poison Jab a mention here since even with the lacking investment it can 2HKO Florges, Togekiss, and offensive Mega Altaria sets after Stealth Rock damage, which adequately lures in a fair amount of Mienshao's switch-ins.

Set Details
* I'd give an example other than Latias's +1 Draco Meteor since its +1 Psychic or unboosted Psyshock will OHKO Mienshao regardless.

Usage Tips
* 'special attackers like Hydreigon and other special attackers it can punish like Nihilego' - a little confused by the wording here. Couldn't both just be listed as special attackers? Also I'd give one or two more examples here if you can.
* 'It can also use U-turn to capitalise on the switches it can force agaisnt top-tier Pokemon.' - give examples of said Pokemon.
* Adding onto what Jordy said about your listed examples of Volt Switch users, I really think the only applicable examples for Mienshao are Mega Manectric and Rotom-C and maybe Magneton, but it isn't too relevant. Any other Volt Switch pivot has a way or two of crippling it.

Team Options
* Your listed examples of Stealth Rock setters are all purely defensive. While this isn't bad it isn't a super accurate reflection of the builds Mienshao can fit on so I'd replace at least one of the examples with an offensive setter or just add another example in.
* Replace the Diancie mention with Blissey. While Diancie is getting better recently, Blissey is still a very important Pokemon to bring up when mentioning clerics and this would be replacing the least currently relevant example.

Other Options
* Add Stone Edge here as a way of super effectively damaging some Flying-types that could otherwise switch in on Mienshao, like Crobat, Togekiss, and primarily Moltres. Be sure to state its main drawbacks, though.

Checks and Counters
* Adding onto what Jordy said about your Fairy-type sentence, I think you can replace what he said to take out with some elaboration as to what the listed Fairy-type examples can do once in play. Primarina can fire off an attack, Mega Altaria can set up, and Florges can either force Mienshao out with Moonblast or use a utility move to support its team.
* Crobat may not be as relevant as it used to be, though I would still mention it in Flying-types since with its typing it's a pretty capable check to Mienshao.
* Say in the line on physically defensive Pokemon that none of the listed examples appreciate the removal of their items.

Good work! 2/3 when this is implemented :)

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
3/3
[OVERVIEW]

Mienshao is a good fast pivot due to its access to U-turn and Knock Off in conjunction with Regenerator and an Assault Vest, allowing it to constantly pivot in and chip foes throughout a game. Mienshao has high Speed, outspeeding key metagame staples such as Hydreigon, Celebi, and Nihilego, which greatly bolsters its ability as a pivot. Its pure Fighting typing enables Mienshao to check some of the tier's key threats in Hydreigon and Kyurem. It also helps it switch into other special attackers more easily due to its resistance to Stealth Rock and its increased special bulk from an Assault Vest. However, its typing also leaves it vulnerable to several key attacking types in Fairy, Flying, and Psychic and struggles with foes such as Mega Altaria, Moltres, and Latias as a result. While Mienshao may be able to switch into some special attacks due to its Assault Vest, it has minimal physical bulk, which makes it vulnerable to priority moves from Scizor, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt and faster attackers like Terrakion and Zeraora. It also fails to adequately damage many physical attackers due to its lack of Attack investment. Current sentence makes no sense, rephrase just so it states that Shao struggles against the many physical attackers that it cannot beat one-on-one. It doesn't struggle because of its lack of attack investment, it struggles because it's physically frail and many physical attackers are faster than it or have priority or have beneficial typings.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Specify why the power of High Jump Kick over weaker, more reliable fighting-type moves like Drain Punch is far preferred on Assault Vest Mienshao, as this is a resource for newer users and this could definitely be a source of confusion otherwise. List some KOes HJK specifically gets bc of the power. You don't need to mention Drain Punch by name or anything, just state why HJK's high power necessitates its use. Permission to add this given by Amane Misa. Knock Off enables Mienshao to remove the items of its switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Alomomola, and Primarina. U-turn lets Mienshao act as an offensive pivot, which can help it in unfavorable matchups such as against Pokemon that resist its moves or aren't crippled by Knock Off such as Mega Altaria and Mega Slowbro. Fake Out chips faster foes that threaten to KO Mienshao, such as Mega Beedrill and Infernape, and provides it with a way to pick off extremely weakened sweepers such as Dragon Dance Kommo-o. It is also extremely effective and racking up chip damage when stacked with poison or burns.

Set Details
========

100 HP and 156 Special Defense EVs combined with an Assault Vest allow Mienshao to take Devastating Drake or a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Hydreigon, or it can also survive +1 Latias's Draco Meteor. An alternative spread of 132 HP / 136 SpD / 240 Spe hits the same defensive benchmarks while sacrificing some Speed for HP to help in the matchup against physical attackers. Regenerator enables Mienshao to be a consistent pivot throughout a game so it can consistently check Hydreigon and other special attackers.

Usage Tips
========

- <remove thisMienshao should be used primarily to pivot into special attackers like Hydreigon and Nihilego. It can also be switched into passive Pokemon such as Blissey that it doesn't fear much from; however, it must be wary of status. Once on the field, Mienshao should try to pivot out and generate offensive momentum with U-turn. It can also use U-turn to capitalise on the switches it can force agaisnt top-tier Pokemon like Hydreigon and Empoleon. Mienshao should attempt to stay healthy throughout the course of a match to ensure it can consistently check what it needs to. Pivoting or switching it out after taking an attack due to Regenerator helps with this, but it should avoid taking strong attacks unless necessary. If a Pokemon that relies heavily on its item to function, such as Suicune or Choice Specs Primarina, is predicted to switch in, using Knock Off to punish it and thus lessen a threat to Mienshao's teammates is preferred as opposed to switching it out immediately. Against defensive teams, Mienshao functions best as a means to cripple key stall staples and passive Pokemon like Alomomola and Quagsire with the removal of their items, which can make it easier for its more offensive teammates to break through them. Despite Mienshao's lack of offensive investment, it can be used to KO certain frailer offensive threats like Nihilego and Lucario due to its naturally high Attack combined with a high-Base Power STAB move. Scout for potential Protect users such as Empoleon and Nihilego, as they could otherwise cause Mienshao to take heavy damage. Mienshao can be used as an effective switch-in to Volt Switch from Mega Manectric due to its high special bulk and ability to regain HP through Regenerator and pivoting.

Team Options
========

Mienshao fits best on offensive and bulkier or balanced builds alike that need a fast pivot capable of taking on Dark-types. It pairs extremely well with other Regenerator users, such as Amoonguss and Slowbro, to form a strong Regenerator core that aids and strengthens Mienshao's pivoting ability. These partners can also help Mienshao due to their high physical bulk that enables them to check strong physical attackers like Terrakion for it. Mienshao does not have the offensive presence to be able to break through bulkier teams and cores effectively, so it pairs well with strong breakers like Mamoswine, Choice Specs Primarina, and Choice Band Crawdaunt. In return, it can pivot these slower Pokemon into play without them having to take prior damage. Due to the number of switches forced by Mienshao, entry hazard support helps it further punish opposing switches Stealth Rock setters such as Mega Steelix, Gligar, Nihilego, and Nidoqueen make good partners. Additionally, the latter two can set up Toxic Spikes, which pair extremely well with Fake Out from Mienshao. Flying-type checks like Mega Aerodactyl, Rotom-H, and Diancie can patch up Mienshao's weaknesses to key offensive threats in Moltres and Togekiss. Mienshao can provide pivoting and Knock Off utility for them in return. Mienshao is susceptible to all forms of status, preventing it from performing its role adequately. As such, clerics such as Florges, Blissey, and Togekiss make good partners. Entry hazards can prevent Mienshao from being able to survive powerful attacks due to the chip damage they provide; as such, pairing it with hazard removal options such as Empoleon, Tentacruel, and Florges is beneficial. Add a bit for shit that checks strong priority users like Scizor and Crawdaunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mienshao can opt to run a more offensive set of High Jump Kick / Knock Off / U-turn / Poison Jab with maximum Attack EVs and the Reckless ability combined with a Choice Band, but this directly competes with Terrakion, which is faster and has a secondary STAB option that treatens typical Fighting-resistant foes. Mention that CB generally requires sticky web support and that the one upside it has to terrak is higher power. The same set can also be run with a Choice Scarf, but it becomes a lot weaker and struggles to compete with Choice Scarf Infernape as pivots, which both have better coverage and secondary STAB options as well. Did you mean to have a second example here or what Stone Edge can be run to punish Flying-types, such as Moltres and Togekiss, that otherwise switch into Mienshao for free.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Aside from removing their items and pivoting out of thier attacks, Mienshao is left helpless against Pokemon like Primarina, which can fire off a strong attack, Florges, which can remove entry hazards or heal itself and its teammates, and Mega Altaria, which can set up a Dragon Dance or attack.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Moltres, Togekiss, and Crobat resist Mienshao's STAB attack, can switch in without any major issues, and force it out. Mega Aerodactyl struggles to switch in but is fastr and can force Mienshao out with potential Flying-type STAB moves.

**Physical Attackers**: Mienshao is threatened significantly by faster physical attakcers it can't effectively pivot out of, such as Terrakion, as well as key priority users, such as Scizor and Crawdaunt.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Due to Mienshao's relative lack of offensive presense, it cannot break through Pokemon such as Alomomola, Hippowdon, and Jellicent, and these Pokemon can all cripple it with some form of status. However, none of these Pokemon appreciate the removal of their items.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Nuked, 382658], [Hilomilo, 313384], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Mienshao is a good fast pivot due to its access to U-turn and Knock Off in conjunction with Regenerator and an Assault Vest, allowing it to constantly pivot in and chip foes throughout a game. Mienshao has Furthermore, its high Speed (RC) lets it outspeeding key metagame staples such as Hydreigon, Celebi, and Nihilego, which greatly bolsters its ability as a pivot, (comma) and its pure Fighting typing enables Mienshao to check some of the tier's key threats in Hydreigon and Kyurem. It also helps it switch into other special attackers more easily due to its resistance to Stealth Rock and its increased special bulk from an Assault Vest. However, its typing also leaves it vulnerable to several key attacking types in Fairy, Flying, and Psychic, (AC) and it struggles with foes such as Mega Altaria, Moltres, and Latias as a result. While Mienshao may be able to switch into some special attacks due to its Assault Vest, it has minimal physical bulk, which makes it vulnerable to priority moves from Scizor, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt and faster physical attackers like Terrakion and Zeraora.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

High Jump Kick is run due to its high Base Power, enabling Mienshao to OHKO Hydreigon and Empoleon. Knock Off enables Mienshao to remove the items of its switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Alomomola, and Primarina. U-turn lets Mienshao act as an offensive pivot, which can help it in unfavorable matchups such as (redundant enough) against Pokemon that resist its moves or aren't crippled by Knock Off such as Mega Altaria and Mega Slowbro. Fake Out chips faster foes that threaten to KO Mienshao, such as Mega Beedrill and Infernape, and provides it with a way to pick off extremely weakened sweepers such as Dragon Dance Kommo-o. It is also extremely effective at racking up chip damage when stacked with poison or burns.

Set Details
========

100 HP and 156 Special Defense EVs combined with an Assault Vest allow Mienshao to take Devastating Drake or a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Hydreigon (RC) or it can also survive +1 Latias's a Draco Meteor from +1 Latias. An alternative spread of 132 HP / 136 SpD / 240 Spe hits the same defensive benchmarks while sacrificing some Speed for HP to help in the matchup against physical attackers. Regenerator enables Mienshao to be a consistent pivot throughout a game so it can consistently check Hydreigon and other special attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Mienshao should be used primarily to pivot into special attackers like Hydreigon and Nihilego. It can also be switched into passive Pokemon such as Blissey that it doesn't fear much from; however, it must be wary of status. Once on the field, Mienshao should try to pivot out and generate offensive momentum with U-turn. It can also use U-turn to capitalize on the switches it can force agaisnt top-tier Pokemon like Hydreigon and Empoleon. Mienshao should attempt to stay healthy throughout the course of a match to ensure it can consistently check what it needs to. Pivoting or switching it out after taking an attack due to Regenerator helps with this, but it should avoid taking strong attacks unless necessary. If a Pokemon that relies heavily on its item to function, such as Suicune or Choice Specs Primarina, is predicted to switch in, using Knock Off to punish it and thus lessening a threat to Mienshao's teammates is preferred as opposed to switching it out immediately. Against defensive teams, Mienshao functions best as a means to cripple key stall staples and passive Pokemon like Alomomola and Quagsire with the removal of their items, which can make it easier for its more offensive teammates to break through them. Despite Mienshao's lack of offensive investment, it can be used to KO certain frailer offensive threats like Lucario due to its naturally high Attack combined with a high-Base Power STAB move. It must scout for Protect users that can force it to lose 50% of its HP, however, such as Empoleon and Nihilego. Mienshao can be used as an effective switch-in to Volt Switch from Mega Manectric due to its high special bulk and ability to regain HP through Regenerator and pivoting.

Team Options
========

Mienshao fits best on offensive and bulkier or balanced builds alike that need a fast pivot capable of taking on Dark-types. It pairs extremely well with other Regenerator users, such as Amoonguss and Slowbro, to form a strong Regenerator core that aids and strengthens Mienshao's pivoting ability. These partners can also help Mienshao due to their high physical bulk that enables them to check strong physical attackers like Terrakion for it. Mienshao does not have the offensive presence to be able to break through bulkier teams and cores effectively, so it pairs well with strong wallbreakers like Mamoswine, Choice Specs Primarina, and Choice Band Crawdaunt. In return, it can pivot these slower Pokemon into play without them having to take prior damage. Due to the number of switches forced by Mienshao, entry hazard support helps it further punish opposing switches; (SC) Stealth Rock setters such as Mega Steelix, Gligar, Nihilego, and Nidoqueen make good partners. Additionally, the latter two can set up Toxic Spikes, which pair extremely well with Fake Out from Mienshao. Flying-type checks like Mega Aerodactyl, Rotom-H, and Diancie can patch up Mienshao's weaknesses to key offensive threats in Moltres and Togekiss, (comma) and Mienshao can provide pivoting and Knock Off utility for them in return. Mienshao is susceptible to all forms of status, preventing it from performing its role adequately. As such a result, clerics such as Florges, Blissey, and Togekiss make good partners. Entry hazards can prevent Mienshao from being able to survive powerful attacks due to the chip damage they provide; as such, thus, pairing it with hazard removal options such as Empoleon, Tentacruel, and Florges is beneficial. Priority moves from the likes of Scizor, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt can pick off a weakened Mienshao due to its low physical bulk, so pairing it with physically defensive priority checks such as Mega Aggron and Suicune helps alleviate this.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mienshao can opt to run a more offensive set of High Jump Kick / Knock Off / U-turn / Poison Jab with maximum Attack EVs and the Reckless ability combined with a Choice Band, which functions best on Sticky Web teams, but despite its additional power, this directly competes with Terrakion despite its additional power, (readability) which is faster and has a secondary STAB option that threatens typical Fighting-resistant foes. The same set can also be run with a Choice Scarf, but it becomes a lot weaker and struggles to compete with Choice Scarf Infernape as a pivot, which has better coverage and secondary STAB options as well. Stone Edge can be run to punish Flying-types, such as Moltres and Togekiss, that otherwise switch into Mienshao for free.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Aside from removing their items and pivoting out of thier their attacks, Mienshao is left helpless against Pokemon like Primarina, which can fire off a strong attack; (SC) Florges, which can remove entry hazards or heal itself and its teammates; (SC) and Mega Altaria, which can set up a Dragon Dance or attack.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Moltres, Togekiss, and Crobat resist Mienshao's STAB attack, can switch in without any major issues, and force it out. Mega Aerodactyl struggles to switch in but is fastr faster and can force Mienshao out with potential Flying-type STAB moves.

**Physical Attackers**: Mienshao is threatened significantly by faster physical attakcers attackers it can't effectively pivot out of, such as Terrakion, as well as key priority users, such as Scizor and Crawdaunt.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Due to Mienshao's relative lack of offensive presense, it cannot break through Pokemon such as Alomomola, Hippowdon, and Jellicent, and these Pokemon can all cripple it with some form of status. However, none of these Pokemon appreciate the removal of their items.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Nuked, 382658], [Hilomilo, 313384], [A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
standard colors+purple
[OVERVIEW]

Mienshao is a good fast pivot due to its access to U-turn and Knock Off in conjunction with Regenerator and an Assault Vest, allowing it to constantly pivot in and chip foes throughout a game. Furthermore, its high Speed lets it outspeed metagame staples such as Hydreigon, Celebi, and Nihilego, which greatly bolsters its ability as a pivot, and its pure Fighting typing enables Mienshao to check some of the tier's key threats in Hydreigon and Kyurem. It also helps it Mienshao can also switch into other special attackers more easily due to its resistance to Stealth Rock and its increased special bulk from an Assault Vest. However, its typing also leaves it vulnerable to several key attacking types in Fairy, Flying, and Psychic, and it struggles with foes such as Mega Altaria, Moltres, and Latias as a result. While Mienshao may be able to switch into some special attacks due to its Assault Vest, it has minimal physical bulk, which makes it vulnerable to priority moves from Scizor, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt and faster physical attackers like Terrakion and Zeraora.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

High Jump Kick is run due to its high Base Power, enabling Mienshao to OHKO Hydreigon and Empoleon. Knock Off enables Mienshao to remove the items of its switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Alomomola, and Primarina. U-turn lets Mienshao act as an offensive pivot, which can help it in unfavorable matchups against Pokemon that resist its moves or aren't crippled by Knock Off such as Mega Altaria and Mega Slowbro. Fake Out chips faster foes that threaten to KO Mienshao, such as Mega Beedrill and Infernape, and provides it with a way to pick off extremely weakened sweepers such as Dragon Dance Kommo-o. It is also extremely effective at racking up chip damage when stacked with poison or burns.

Set Details
========

100 HP and 156 Special Defense EVs combined with an Assault Vest allow Mienshao to take Devastating Drake or a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Hydreigon or a Draco Meteor from +1 Latias. An alternative spread of 132 HP / 136 SpD / 240 Spe hits the same defensive benchmarks while sacrificing some Speed for HP to help in the matchup against physical attackers. Regenerator enables Mienshao to be a consistent pivot throughout a game so it can consistently check Hydreigon and other special attackers.

Usage Tips
========

Mienshao should be used primarily to pivot into special attackers like Hydreigon and Nihilego. It can also be switched into passive Pokemon such as Blissey that it doesn't fear much from; however, it must be wary of status. Once on the field, Mienshao should try to pivot out and generate offensive momentum with U-turn. It can also use U-turn to capitalize on the switches it can force agaisnt against top-tier Pokemon like Hydreigon and Empoleon. Mienshao should attempt to stay healthy throughout the course of a match to ensure it can consistently check what it needs to. Pivoting or switching it out after taking an attack due to recover health with Regenerator after taking an attack (you don't take the attack due to regen) helps with this, but it should avoid taking strong attacks unless necessary. If a Pokemon that relies heavily on its item to function, such as Suicune or Choice Specs Primarina, is predicted to switch in, using Knock Off to punish it and thus lessening a threat to Mienshao's teammates is preferred as opposed to switching it out immediately. Against defensive teams, Mienshao functions best as a means to cripple key stall staples and passive Pokemon like Alomomola and Quagsire with the removal of their items, which can make it easier for its more offensive teammates to break through them. Despite Mienshao's lack of offensive investment, it can be used to KO certain frailer offensive threats like Lucario due to its naturally high Attack combined with a high-Base Power STAB move. It must scout for Protect users that can force it to lose 50% of its HP, however, such as Empoleon and Nihilego. Mienshao can be used as an effective switch-in to Volt Switch from Mega Manectric due to its high special bulk and ability to regain HP through Regenerator and pivoting.

Team Options
========

Mienshao fits best on offensive and bulkier or balanced builds alike that need a fast pivot capable of taking on Dark-types. It pairs extremely well with other Regenerator users, such as Amoonguss and Slowbro, to form a strong Regenerator core that aids and strengthens Mienshao's pivoting ability. These partners can also help Mienshao due to their high physical bulk that enables them to check strong physical attackers like Terrakion for it. Mienshao does not have the offensive presence to be able to break through bulkier teams and cores effectively, so it pairs well with strong wallbreakers like Mamoswine, Choice Specs Primarina, and Choice Band Crawdaunt. In return, it can pivot these slower Pokemon into play without them having to take prior damage. Due to the number of switches forced by Mienshao, entry hazard support helps it further punish opposing switches; Stealth Rock setters such as Mega Steelix, Gligar, Nihilego, and Nidoqueen make good partners. Additionally, the latter two can set up Toxic Spikes, which pair extremely well with Fake Out from Mienshao. Flying-type checks like Mega Aerodactyl, Rotom-H, and Diancie can patch up Mienshao's weaknesses to key offensive threats in Moltres and Togekiss, and Mienshao can provide pivoting and Knock Off utility for them in return. Mienshao is susceptible to all forms of status, preventing it from performing its role adequately. As a result, clerics such as Florges, Blissey, and Togekiss make good partners. Entry hazards can prevent Mienshao from being able to survive powerful attacks due to the chip damage they provide; thus, pairing it with hazard removal options such as Empoleon, Tentacruel, and Florges is beneficial. Priority moves from the likes of Scizor, Mamoswine, and Crawdaunt can pick off a weakened Mienshao due to its low physical bulk, so pairing it with physically defensive priority checks such as Mega Aggron and Suicune helps alleviate this.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mienshao can opt to run a more offensive set of High Jump Kick / Knock Off / U-turn / Poison Jab with maximum Attack EVs and the Reckless ability combined with a Choice Band, which functions best on Sticky Web teams, but despite its additional power, this directly competes with Terrakion, which is faster and has a secondary STAB option that threatens typical Fighting-resistant foes. The same set can also be run with a Choice Scarf, but it becomes a lot weaker and struggles to compete with Choice Scarf Infernape as a pivot, which has better coverage and secondary STAB options as well. Stone Edge can be run to punish Flying-types, such as Moltres and Togekiss, that otherwise switch into Mienshao for free.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Aside from removing their items and pivoting out of their attacks, Mienshao is left helpless against Pokemon like Primarina, which can fire off a strong attack; Florges, which can remove entry hazards or heal itself and its teammates; and Mega Altaria, which can set up a Dragon Dance or attack.

**Flying-types**: Flying-types such as Moltres, Togekiss, and Crobat resist Mienshao's STAB attack, can switch in without any major issues, and force it out. Mega Aerodactyl struggles to switch in but is faster and can force Mienshao out with potential Flying-type STAB moves.

**Physical Attackers**: Mienshao is threatened significantly by faster physical attackers it can't effectively pivot out of, such as Terrakion, as well as key priority users, such as Scizor and Crawdaunt.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Due to Mienshao's relative lack of offensive presense presence, it cannot break through Pokemon such as Alomomola, Hippowdon, and Jellicent, and these Pokemon can all cripple it with some form of status. However, none of these Pokemon appreciate the removal of their items.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157]]

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)