SV OU Miku Gang (Balance Team ft.Primarina/Skeledirge/Rillaboom core) [Peaked #8, 86.0 GXE, 1961 ELO]

singer gang.png

leaderboard.png
PrimarinaIsOU.png

Teambuilding process
:skeledirge:, why favorite fire starter, has been buffed with two incredible new tools : Scorching Sand, 70bp ground move with 30% burn chance as well as Alluring Voice, a 80bp fairy:move. DLC2 brought along :primarina:, one of my favorite mons as well, that got two new incredible tools : Psychic Noise, 75bp :psychic: move that blocks healing (leftovers/g.terrain included) for 2 turns and Flip Turn.
:rillaboom: gained grassy glide back a few months ago, but didn't played much DLC1 cause fuck Gambit.

:skeledirge: + :primarina: + :rillaboom:
The starting point. From the get go, :skeledirge: shuts down most physical threats even those with EQ coverage thanks to :rillaboom: g.terrain support (ex: :dragonite:, :gouging-fire:, :ting-lu:, :landorus:, etc.) while most special attackers must respect :primarina:. G.Terrain also helps prolong :primarina:'s longevity.
They complement each other remarkably well against cheese like tera ground :volcarona:/:serperior:, as if the opponent decides to commit against :skeledirge:, :rillaboom: will simply have to pick them up with grassy glide.

:skeledirge: + :primarina: + :rillaboom: + :samurott-hisui:
The first issue I wanted to address regards psychic and ghost types, who I had no answer against, especially the pervasive :gholdengo: and :deoxys-speed:. No one better than Hammy in order to punish every :gholdengo: switch-ins with unavoidable progress 90% of the time. However its real value lies in the fact that's its the best answer against :deoxys-speed: leads, while being very efficient if scarfed against :ninetales-alola: and :ribombee: leads.

:skeledirge: + :primarina: + :rillaboom: + :samurott-hisui: + :archaludon:
Four painful dead angles were physical grass that can hit :skeledirge: SE (:meowscarada:, :ogerpon-wellspring:, :rillaboom:, etc.), volt switch mons (:zapdos:), toxic (:gliscor:) and that pesky :kingambit:'s always lurking... If only a new mon was introduced that could constantly handle every one of them...
Enter :archaludon:. What an incredible mon. And his potential raises exponentially with g.terrain support because it starts walling :gliscor: and more broadly simply refuses to die. Every lazy VoltTurn pivot will get punished with a mighty +1 defense boost and the threat of an even mightier body press. God I love this mon. And bonus point, he can set SR for you. And bonus bonus point, he can phaze with dragon tail which conflates nicely with his own SR and Hammy's spikes (a hazard stack that can get semi-protected thanks to :skeledirge: spin block and constant pressure against :corviknight:). :fairy: are immune of course, but they won't be celebrating much before getting hit by a stab steel move in the face.

:skeledirge: + :primarina: + :rillaboom: + :samurott-hisui: + :archaludon: + :great-tusk:
My team utilizes lots of non-boot items, so I needed some hazard control. No one more efficient than good old Tusky. He also helps knocking off items, has a usefull immunity against electric types and serves as a second line of defense against :kingambit:. He got a very handful new toy too (Temper Flare) that I was eager to try out.

Team Analysis

tumblr_8cae35267b2e403f062bcd9e86ee72e8_0969fe15_540.jpg

Primarina @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic Noise
- Flip Turn
- Moonblast
- Surf

Laughs at the face of :darkrai:, :walking-wake:, :iron-crown:, :iron-valiant:, :heatran:, :greninja:, :enamorus:, :archaludon: and many more, while either hitting back like a truck (2hko every single one of them) or pivoting out safely another progress enablers. A big help against rain teams.
Psychic Noise has been overall useless aside from blocking:clodsire: (but taking care of him can enable a :skeledirge: sweep so it is worthwhile).
No recovery and no leftovers aside from g.terrain and the hazard chip stacks up fast, so each one of her entrances must be meaningful. Which isn't that difficult cause again, she hits like a truck, but setting up hazards the fastest possible is still crucial as primarina's life is on a timer and so must be the opponent's special threats.
Tera fairy primarina is my only consistent answer against special electric types, and serves as a last line of defense against :raging-bolt: in the event that Tusk is down.
Incredibly fun to play, it feels like a cute Otter shaped ressource that you have to constantly manage.

tumblr_eea52ea61f3824d657deab4448738863_4300e3b2_540.jpg

Skeledirge @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Alluring Voice
- Scorching Sands
- Torch Song
- Slack Off

The anti-snowball snowball. he puts a stop to :volcarona:, :serperior:, :zamazenta:, :iron-moth: and all physical set-up dragon types, all the while threatening to be a wincon.
Alluring Voice and Scorching Sand helps him get immediate damage against the threats it checks (very handfull vs poisonning/defense drop/crit fishing and it minimizes the amounts of slack offs you must use before having enough Torch Song boosts (vs :gouging-fire:)).
Having a decently strong fairy move forces most dark types (and :walking-wake:) to respect Dirge as he's not a sitting duck anymore. And once all offensive poison types are taken care of, tera Fairy :skeledirge: becomes an incredible potent wincon.
Leftovers instead of boots helps minimize the number of Slack Offs used per encounter as :skeledirge: gets heavily solicited.

tumblr_47ea327788b997189443c370b3b9457e_c42ff69f_540.jpg

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn

The heart of the team. Losing him means losing the game, not only because he's the key player vs the most egregious threats in the tier right now thanks to grassy glide revenge kill, his terrain enables the whole defensive gameplan : keeping the teammates healthy and halving the damage of the loathesome earthquakes.
Knock Off is great in order to enable :archaludon: hazard stack + phazing wincon. And he's a solid wincon himself with Tera grass grassy glide or wood hammer spam against stall teams.

samurott-hisui.gif

Samurott-Hisui @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ceaseless Edge
- Flip Turn
- Razor Shell
- Knock Off

Usually leads the game, either by setting up spikes, by pivoting out or knocking off :ninetales-alola:'s light clay. Against ghost heavy teams (:gholdengo:), I try keeping him alive in order to have a progress enabler revenge killer, or an emergency switch-in. My go-to answer against :slowking-galar: and psychic types as well. It just feels nice to stop caring about what your opponent will do next cause whatever he chooses you'll be advancing your gameplan anyways. All while sniffing paint and eating loads of bananas cause oonga boonga.
The exception to the Hammy=lead rule encompass sun teams (lead with :great-tusk:) and :gliscor: teams (lead with :rillaboom: to immediate switch to :archaludon: if indeed Gliscor is the opponent's lead).
Tera water can help net some kills in late game cleaning scenarios that involve flip turn and razor shell.

archaludon.jpg

Archaludon @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Body Press
- Flash Cannon

Touched on it in the teambuild process, I LOVE how he completely obliterates :kingambit:. Tera fighting boosts body press damage and leaves no room for :kingambit: shenanigans.
He's the main wincon : either pressing or phazing the opponent's mons to death. Flash Canon punishes rude fairy types who won't get phazed as well as do non negligeable damage to :gliscor: and :great-tusk: who try to remove your stealth rocks.
That's why he'll be often on the field, keeping him healthy with grassy terrain is a must.
He's also the only line of defence against :ogerpon-wellspring:, :meowscarada: and :weavile:. On the flip side, he's completely helpless against ghost and poison types like special :dragapult:, :slowking-galar: and more notably :gholdengo:.

landorus-tusk-v0-8b0a5qvtvyla1.png

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Temper Flare
- Headlong Rush
- Knock Off

He's here for one job, cleaning those damned hazards. Temper Flare OHKO :gholdengo: if he spin blocked you the previous turn. If I really want those hazards down and I'm unsure if :gholdengo: is scarfed or not, Tera Steel is here for the rescue. Temper Flare erases :corviknight: and :enamorus: from existence too if they switch in a Headlong Rush the turn prior. The price to pay resides in a absolute worthlessness versus :gliscor:, though even with Ice Spinner having to play the protect/scouting game with :gliscor: is a loss in my book. :dragonite: fears you far less too, but the other teammates deal with him fine.
He can function as a wincon after one rapid spin, and he's a potent :raging-bolt: revenge killer.

Threats

VS :terapagos:
A menace that's on everyone's mind, you must either harness its power or succumb to the depths of madness. However he doesn't give this team too much trouble as long as the ressources are managed properly. No one mon can check him by itself, none are able to revenge kill him of course, but with proper coordination he usually falls down unless the opponent outplayed me and chipped my defence plan a little too much.
None of my mons is passive against him for a start (flip turn pivot, knock off, damage, phazing, etc. even :skeledirge: can pull up his weight), therefore he usually doesn't have time to set-up for 2 turns, sometimes not even once. Either he uses calm mind, so :samurott-hisui: and :great-tusk: outspeed him and deal non negligeable amounts of damage that bring :terapagos: to :rillaboom: grassy glide KO range, or it uses rock polish, fail to OHKO my mon who deals enough damage back before dying for :rillaboom: to pick up the kill.
Also putting up at least one layer of hazard must be a priority against teams with :terapagos: because leftovers :terapagos: can be very troublesome if they start with full health (:primarina: flip turn's damage gets offset, :terapagos: gets his full health and resistance back, which means that for all intent and purposes that :primarina: becomes set-up fodder).
Overall and basically, :rillaboom: (and its grass tera) and a healthy mon need to be kept alive to deal with :terapagos:.

VS :gliscor:
:archaludon: needs to be kept healthy with terrain, and stealth rocks must be set. Else it will be very hard to break him before your whole team succumbs to poisonning.

VS :gouging-fire:
If you lose :skeledirge:, you lose the game, especially if the opponent has a sun teams. Do not send dirge without the grassy terrain set first (usually I send dirge, then switch back to rilla to get the terrain up while the opponent clicks earthquick, then return back to dirge).

VS :volcarona:/:serperior:
Once again, :rillaboom: can't die before these two pests are dead. Can't let them tera without consequences.
:skeledirge: shuts down their progress, and :archuladon: can serve as an emergency plan (if rocks are up on your side of the terrain and you can't afford to send dirge for example) by phazing them out with dragon tail. And of course, if :volcarona:/:serperior: decide to Tera to brute force with a ground/water/whatever tera, :rillaboom: will revenge kill them.

VS :gholdengo:
Having :archaludon: or :skeledirge: in front of a :gholdengo: revenge killer is the most unconfortable position this team can be in. :primarina: can tank a few hits, even after a +2 boost, but she can't answer back with a 2HKO herself. :samurott-hisui: can only switch in once as he gets 2HKO by make it rain.
That's why matches against teams with :gholdengo: feel like a race against the clock where I need to have worn down the opponent's team enough before my 2/3 ":skeledirge:/:archaludon: to :primarina:/:samurott:" interactions ressource dries up.

VS :zapdos:
Don't have any answers except praying to deal enough chip throughout the game to be in :archaludon: body press / :rillaboom: grassy glide / :skeledirge: snowball range in the late game. Chip can be dealt with :archaludon: Dragon Tail, :samurott-hisui: flip turn and hopefully a knock off prediction by :rillaboom:.

Last edited:
Thank you for such a fun team! Just started playing the new dlc today and thought the team looked fun. Currently 6-0 with 3 being actual 6-0s. Really fun team!

quick edit into this (I’m not the best OU player, normally high around 1600s and tilt back to 1400s is my range) already 15-0 with this team, into the high 1300s. I absolutely love this team!

Attachments

Last edited:

serperiorr

formerly someidiot19
this team is fucking sick, love how running 4 starters is viable. If ur down to try something unorthodox, might I suggest tera rock terablast rilla to snipe zap, moltres, volcarona since even w/ arch zap gets free momentum with volt. Not sure if this set would work in practice but maybe worth a shot. :tyke:

I know it ruins the 4 starters gimmick of the team, but:
:samurott-hisui: --> :deoxys-speed:

DeoxysS keeps the speed control/revenge kill potential of SamurottH (even better against Serperior and Enamorus actually as Psycho Boost puts them easily in rillaboom KO range) while being able to set spikes and SR (!!!), freeing Archaludon of his only non-attack move
--> AV :archaludon: can be used, and a move slot is freed (for dark coverage against Gholdengo and SlowkingG or for nuke dracometeors).
And zapdos becomes less of a problem as it will fear DeoxysS.

Wow! This team is so fun to use I've only lost 1 game out of 10+ on ladder. I also really love it because it features the 4 starters that I've chosen for my playthrough of each of their respective games, so it coincidentally feels so personal for me :)

I know it ruins the 4 starters gimmick of the team, but:
:samurott-hisui: --> :deoxys-speed:

DeoxysS keeps the speed control/revenge kill potential of SamurottH (even better against Serperior and Enamorus actually as Psycho Boost puts them easily in rillaboom KO range) while being able to set spikes and SR (!!!), freeing Archaludon of his only non-attack move
--> AV :archaludon: can be used, and a move slot is freed (for dark coverage against Gholdengo and SlowkingG or for nuke dracometeors).
And zapdos becomes less of a problem as it will fear DeoxysS.
How to check + revenge kill gholdengo at the same time ???????

This will be the last time I comment on this post I promise lol. I just wanted to express my thanks for this team one last time. I’m a fairly average player and I got to go 19-0 with this team. And I could still be undefeated (no disrespect to my opponent they did all the things they needed to to win) if I kept my emotions in check and played the way I had the whole way through that undefeated streak. To get to the 1500s with only one loss has been very fun and something I would have never expected. Just wanted to give you one more shoutout because I was trying this team more for the meme of 4 starters but I’ll probably stay on it quite a while because of how well this team has treated me and all the fun games. Thanks again. ❤

Attachments

This will be the last time I comment on this post I promise lol. I just wanted to express my thanks for this team one last time. I’m a fairly average player and I got to go 19-0 with this team. And I could still be undefeated (no disrespect to my opponent they did all the things they needed to to win) if I kept my emotions in check and played the way I had the whole way through that undefeated streak. To get to the 1500s with only one loss has been very fun and something I would have never expected. Just wanted to give you one more shoutout because I was trying this team more for the meme of 4 starters but I’ll probably stay on it quite a while because of how well this team has treated me and all the fun games. Thanks again. ❤
Awesome dude! And really glad you vibed with the team! The pilot is as important (if not more) as the plane, so your performance is first and foremost a testimony of your skill growth.
If you intent on sticking with the team comp a bit longer, don't hesitate to tweak items, moves, IVs/EVs, and even mons to experiment and accomodate it to the meta / fix its inherent issues ; it's another facet of laddering up that's incredibly fun and rewarding!

Having a lot of fun with this team! One question, how come you decided to invest 36 evs into skeledirges speed over defense?

Roller K

detached
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
I really like the look of this team a lot! 4 starters on one team is a big flex. The high peak shows its strength and consistency. Everything at its core works well, but I’d like to suggest some ways to potentially optimize the team further. Feel free to pick and choose what suggestions you like; none of these will drastically change the way your team plays, but it could help out in certain matchups. Pokepaste is right below.

My version: :skeledirge: :rillaboom: :samurott-hisui: :great-tusk: :archaludon: :Primarina:

Changes

1. :rillaboom:: You stated that losing :rillaboom: essentially loses you the game. Sometimes, max speed is quite nice to have, but you usually use Grassy Glide on fast Pokemon and Wood Hammer to break slow walls. Giving up some speed and investing in HP will help greatly with :rillaboom:’s longevity throughout the game as it will eat more hits. 96 Speed EVs allow you outspeed :gliscor: and Pokemon trying to speed creep the scorpion.

2. :great-tusk:: You stated you struggle greatly with :zapdos: and initially used Tera Steel to check :gholdengo: in a pinch. Tera Electric is a tech I used toward the end of DLC1 to great success, and it’s performed well in tournament too. I have not used this tera much in DLC2, but it seems perfect for your team. Also, you already have two Knock Off users in :rillaboom: and :samurott-hisui:, so I feel like Knock Off is not needed on the set. Ice Spinner is very valuable for :zapdos:/:gliscor:/:dragonite:/:roaring-moon:/:hydrapple:/:rillaboom:, and while you have checks to all these barring :zapdos:, I feel like you’ll get more value from Ice Spinner. If you decide Ice Spinner isn’t giving you much value, you can keep Knock Off or change it to Close Combat / Bulk Up. If you go with Bulk Up, make :great-tusk: Tera Fire to better handle :gouging-fire:/:volcarona:, become immune to burn, and boost the power of Temper Flare.

3. :Primarina:: Psychic Noise helping against :clodsire: may be reason enough for you to keep it on the set, but I feel like you have your outs against it. Draining Kiss seems like a more consistent pick for the set because you can keep :Primarina: healthier throughout the match, especially if you use Tera Fairy. The healing from Draining Kiss combined with Grassy Terrain will keep :Primarina: at high health for a while, and it can cause them to make safer plays to their Fairy resists to minimize Draining Kiss healing, which you can exploit with Surf or Flip Turn. All the healing would be a poor synergy with Torrent, so I changed the set to Liquid Voice + Hyper Voice so you can punish Substitute users.

Overall, I really like the look of your team, and I hope you consider these suggestions! I’ll make sure to try it out soon :)

I really like the look of this team a lot! 4 starters on one team is a big flex. The high peak shows its strength and consistency. Everything at its core works well, but I’d like to suggest some ways to potentially optimize the team further. Feel free to pick and choose what suggestions you like; none of these will drastically change the way your team plays, but it could help out in certain matchups. Pokepaste is right below.

My version: :skeledirge: :rillaboom: :samurott-hisui: :great-tusk: :archaludon: :Primarina:

Changes

1. :rillaboom:: You stated that losing :rillaboom: essentially loses you the game. Sometimes, max speed is quite nice to have, but you usually use Grassy Glide on fast Pokemon and Wood Hammer to break slow walls. Giving up some speed and investing in HP will help greatly with :rillaboom:’s longevity throughout the game as it will eat more hits. 96 Speed EVs allow you outspeed :gliscor: and Pokemon trying to speed creep the scorpion.

2. :great-tusk:: You stated you struggle greatly with :zapdos: and initially used Tera Steel to check :gholdengo: in a pinch. Tera Electric is a tech I used toward the end of DLC1 to great success, and it’s performed well in tournament too. I have not used this tera much in DLC2, but it seems perfect for your team. Also, you already have two Knock Off users in :rillaboom: and :samurott-hisui:, so I feel like Knock Off is not needed on the set. Ice Spinner is very valuable for :zapdos:/:gliscor:/:dragonite:/:roaring-moon:/:hydrapple:/:rillaboom:, and while you have checks to all these barring :zapdos:, I feel like you’ll get more value from Ice Spinner. If you decide Ice Spinner isn’t giving you much value, you can keep Knock Off or change it to Close Combat / Bulk Up. If you go with Bulk Up, make :great-tusk: Tera Fire to better handle :gouging-fire:/:volcarona:, become immune to burn, and boost the power of Temper Flare.

3. :Primarina:: Psychic Noise helping against :clodsire: may be reason enough for you to keep it on the set, but I feel like you have your outs against it. Draining Kiss seems like a more consistent pick for the set because you can keep :Primarina: healthier throughout the match, especially if you use Tera Fairy. The healing from Draining Kiss combined with Grassy Terrain will keep :Primarina: at high health for a while, and it can cause them to make safer plays to their Fairy resists to minimize Draining Kiss healing, which you can exploit with Surf or Flip Turn. All the healing would be a poor synergy with Torrent, so I changed the set to Liquid Voice + Hyper Voice so you can punish Substitute users.

Overall, I really like the look of your team, and I hope you consider these suggestions! I’ll make sure to try it out soon :)
Great additions!
:primarina: psychic noise also helped against Amoongus (though I didn't know at the time that it blocked giga drain), but you're perfectly right, drain kiss might have been far more useful, especially now in a meta where fairy spam is fearsome. Tera fairy AV :primarina: with drain kiss might be a promissing wincon, especially with the rise of freeze dry :kyurem: And against :amonguss:, you can simply flipturn.
Not convinced on liquid voice over torrent, as sub mons are usually dd dragon types, pressure mons (:suicune:) or :serperior:, which do all resist water.
Though with that new addition, the EV spread might need to change with more Sp.Att. investment (in order to inflict massive damage against :darkrai: for instance)

:great-tusk: might be a good idea to experiment with tera electric and ice spinner, though technically if I have to waste a tera against :zapdos: it might as well be for tera fairy :primarina:. Knock off helps for the :archaludon: phazing wincon, and he's the only non-scarfed user of the move, but it's true that :dragonite: can get very troublesome.

As for :rillaboom:, the stat spread eclipses the old one (except against another rillaboom), thank you!

I stopped laddering up, so I'm extremely grateful some people like you are still using and developing Primarina against the shifting meta!
And once you try out the team, I would be eager to have your feedback on how you felt it holds up against the current meta :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)