Milotic [QC 1/2]

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:bw/milotic:
[SET]
name: Mixed Defensive
move 1: Scald
move 2: Dragon Breath
move 3: Recover
move 4: Haze
item: Leftovers
ability: Marvel Scale
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

Milotic makes for a decent mixed wall, capable of stopping notable threats such as Calm Mind Clefable, Dragapult, Choice Specs Aegislash, and Chandelure. However, it faces very strong competition from the tier's other bulky Water-types, namely Toxapex and Gastrodon. Milotic sets itself apart from them by having slightly better mixed bulk and the ability to punish threats like Dragapult, Kyurem, and Dracovish, which are hit by Dragon Breath. Haze prevents Clefable, Jirachi, and Snorlax from setting up in front of Milotic. The given EV spread allows Milotic to survive two Shadow Balls from Choice Specs Aegislash after Stealth Rock. Marvel Scale boosts Milotic's Defense once it gets afflicted by status, making it way more difficult to break for threats like Excadrill and Dracovish.

Milotic fits best on bulky teams looking for a strong check to threats like Aegislash, Dragapult, and Life Orb Clefable. Pokemon like Kommo-o and Hippowdon do well against Electric-types like Rotom-H and Zeraora, respectively, and they appreciate Milotic checking the likes of Calm Mind Clefable and Dragapult. Powerful wallbreakers like Hydreigon, Excadrill, and Terrakion are capable of overwhelming Milotic; the likes of Clefable and Hippowdon respectively can check them defensively, while Pokemon such as Dragapult and Conkeldurr may handle them offensively.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Egor, 439341]]
- Quality checked by: [[curiosity, 443485], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ]]

Last edited:
[SET]
name: Mixed Defensive
move 1: Scald
move 2: Dragon Breath
move 3: Recover
move 4: Haze
item: Leftovers
ability: Marvel Scale
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

Milotic makes for a decent mixed wall, capable of stopping notable threats such as Calm Mind Clefable, Dragapult, and Choice Specs Aegislash. perhaps it's worth mentioning chandy here since it's one of the few mons that can switch into sball reliably However, it faces very strong competition from the tier's other bulky Water-types, namely Toxapex and Gastrodon. Milotic sets itself apart from them by having slightly better mixed bulk and being less passive against threats i'd rather you phrase this as "having the ability to punish threats" here since "less passive" just kinda feels weird here ngl like Dragapult, Kyurem, and Dracovish, which are hit by Dragon Breath. Haze prevents Calm Mind Clefable could be worth mentioning that you also beat sub cm rachi and lax here from setting up in front of Milotic. The given EV spread allows Milotic to survive two hits specify sball specifically from Choice Specs Aegislash after Stealth Rock. Marvel Scale boosts Milotic's Defense once it gets afflicted by status, making it way more difficult to break for threats like Excadrill and Dracovish.

Milotic fits best on bulky teams looking for a strong check to threats like Aegislash, Dragapult, and Dracovish. i don't particularly like this mention here since while you do beat it 1v1, you can't particularly switch into it unless multiscale has been activated and even then you'd ideally have to be burnt to actually beat it; any form of poison is shit because you have to deal with hazards + poison chip which can put it into range of two rends a lot more often than you'd think and obviously para is even worse since the chance just not getting off a heal is bad. I'd rather you mention something like lo clef specifically since it actually checks it. Pokemon like Kommo-o and Hippowdon do well against Electric-types like Rotom-H and Zeraora, respectively, and they appreciate Milotic checking the likes of Calm Mind Clefable and Dragapult.
Setup attackers like Hydreigon, Excadrill, and Terrakion are capable of overwhelming Milotic; the likes of Clefable and Hippowdon respectively can check them defensively, while Pokemon such as Dragapult and Conkeldurr may handle them offensively. I mean can imply that these mons can set up on milotic since you're specifically mentioning setting up and none of these mons can particularly afford to do that, probably better off specifically mentioning strong wallbreakers.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Egor, 439341]]
- Quality checked by: [[curiosity, 443485]], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

large tyler.gif

QC 1/2

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
did ty, ready for the 2nd check

Great analysis above. But I was just wondering - why isn't Ice Beam listed as an alternative move? Dragon Breath feels so weak at times and is rather specific in its application. Ice Beam has greater overall utility and as neutral coverage that no Pokemon is immune to (and that occasional freeze hax might just turn the tables around).

Also, Competitive has great use in the OU metagame as well with all the stat-drops and Sticky Web flying around, thereby instantly transforming Milotic into a hard-hitting tank that wouldn't succumb easily. It also makes Milotic a sponge for the Mystical Fires directed at grass types such as Ferrothorn.

Egor

RoAPL Champion
Great analysis above. But I was just wondering - why isn't Ice Beam listed as an alternative move? Dragon Breath feels so weak at times and is rather specific in its application. Ice Beam has greater overall utility and as neutral coverage that no Pokemon is immune to (and that occasional freeze hax might just turn the tables around).

Also, Competitive has great use in the OU metagame as well with all the stat-drops and Sticky Web flying around, thereby instantly transforming Milotic into a hard-hitting tank that wouldn't succumb easily. It also makes Milotic a sponge for the Mystical Fires directed at grass types such as Ferrothorn.
1. Dragon Breath notably hits Kyurem and Dracovish, both of which don't really mind taking Ice Beam, while still damaging Dragapult and Hydreigon. Also nice paralysis chance.

2. Stat drops actually aren't that common in OU, and anyway Milotic benefits from a potential Defense boost way more than from a Special Attack boost.

1. Dragon Breath notably hits Kyurem and Dracovish, both of which don't really mind taking Ice Beam, while still damaging Dragapult and Hydreigon. Also nice paralysis chance.

2. Stat drops actually aren't that common in OU, and anyway Milotic benefits from a potential Defense boost way more than from a Special Attack boost.
Hi

1. While I agree Dragon Breath hits Kyurem and Dracovish super effectively, it doesn't undermine nor affect Ice Beam's effectiveness against other pokemon generally. In this regard, I think Ice Beam deserves to be mentioned as an alternative. Besides, Milotic is at most a soft check for those aforesaid pokemon (think Freeze Dry and Fishious Rend (especially if banded and in rain) which can overpower Milotic).

2. Disagree. Sticky Web is aplenty and the random Defog / Shadow Ball / Psychic / Crunch/ Mystical Fire / Play Rough/ Spirit Break can all cause stat drops accordingly (these moves are common enough in standard OU); not to mention Incineroar is also on the rise and Parting Shot is still rather frequently used. The Special Attack boost can turn some 3HKO into 2HKO and likewise, some 2HKO into OHKO, which would all be useful in any case. Therefore, Milotic benefits from Special Attack boost just as much as a Defense Boost, without having burns sapping away its health and random para haxes giving its opponents free turn(s) to boost.

Last edited:
Just my view (I use Milotic quite extensively in OU so I generally know what I am talking about here):

I think Milotic's defensive set still works well in OU. Dragon Breath is officially obsolete and should be replaced with either Ice Beam or Toxic. Flame Orb is also a viable item besides Leftovers. It really makes Milotic a lot sturdier on the physical side, thereby prolonging its survivability on the field.

Also, I would like to suggest an offensive build for consideration:

Milotic @ Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
Nature: Timid
EV: 252 Sp Atk/252 Speed/4 Def

OR

Nature: Modest
Alternative EV spread: 152 HP/ 80 Def / 220 Sp Atk / 56 Speed --> all the defence EV can be poured into Speed or go 252 Sp Atk and pour the remainder into Speed.

Moves:
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Flip Turn
- Recover

With Flip Turn, Milotic can now pivot out of threats it can't handle and help clock momentum for the team. Competitive serves to deter defog users and helps raise Milotic's Sp Atk when the opportunity arises, allowing Milotic to hit harder. This seems like a good build for teams looking to have additional coverage and especially for bulky offence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)