Mimikyu Discussion

Yeah I guess it's more like a free sash since it's likely still vulnerable to status.
And unfortunately Mimikyu doesn't have the raw power to get away with running a lum offensive set, so I think that we'll just have to fully commit to never running lum on it.

Its stats are far more solid than I expected, and since it will always take at least one attack, the amount of Pokemon it can set up on is higher than one would think.

Swords Dance (or Z-Splash if you so much want to use it) seems to be the way to go, thanks to that free turn (will need to come on a kill or through slow pivoting), solid Ghost/Fairy STAB coverage and access to Shadow Sneak.

Its attack stats are surprisingly good, but sadly a Swords Dance set will have trouble breaking Steels. Shadow Claw can only get you so far. Perhaps it'll run Wisp or Taunt instead?

Would a super effective hit trigger weakness policy on the hit Disguise eats? Mimikyu could have some fun gimmick sets with that plus Swords Dance/Hone Claws I suppose.
That is an excellent question. Seeing as Weakness Policy doesn't activate when a Pokemon is behind a Substitute, probably not.

Its attack stats are surprisingly good, but sadly a Swords Dance set will have trouble breaking Steels. Shadow Claw can only get you so far. Perhaps it'll run Wisp or Taunt instead?
Try calcing SD + Z-Shadow Claw and see if those problem Steels are still problematic.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Barring Skarm, Mimikyu doesn't have too much trouble breaking Steels.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 220-261 (56.9 - 67.6%)

Heatran can't beat this if it switches in on SD

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 156-185 (44.3 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mimikyu seems legitimately scary, lmao

Shadow Sneak Z (100 BP) calcs vs Sand Rush Excadrill

+2 252+ Atk Adamant Mimikyu Shadow Sneak Z vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 418-493 (115.7 - 136.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Jolly Mimikyu Shadow Sneak Z vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 382-450 (105.8 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

No Mold Breaker means you can technically SD in its face than sneak, but have fun getting flinched or nuking the wrong Pokemon. Either way the point is SD + Z-Ghost crystal lets you go for a pretty crazy priority nuke.

I feel that either SD Life Orb or this is the way to go because Splash Z is does less damage than than SD Life Orb anyway.

I think people suggested splash for the speed boost. Less damage but you go first is a viable trade off. I'd prefer just going for SD though.

This guy would be interesting if switched in to block rapid spin. You essentially get two free turns to SD if their spinner needs to switch out.

Doesn't seem worth it at all then.
It's worth it for single player, seeing as how i am trading my starter for a Mimikyu egg >.>

I can see some mons that otherwise can't get SD benefitting from it though. Too bad there's no troll set for it with Wobbuffet though.

It's worth it for single player, seeing as how i am trading my starter for a Mimikyu egg >.>

I can see some mons that otherwise can't get SD benefitting from it though. Too bad there's no troll set for it with Wobbuffet though.
it's single player, most people have like 1 maybe 2 pokemon

i suppose its fragile to skill link users like Cloyster, thankfully its ghost type so Mega Heracross and Cinccino are no threats at all

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Leech Life / Facade

Disguise gives you a free SD if you safely switch in, dual STAB is nice, and 80 BP Leech Life gives longevity.
I like it
I'd slash Substitute alongside Leech Life and Façade tbh. You get a free Sub up and at the cost of 25% of its health, Pykumuku is free to SD in the next turn without worrying about status whatsoever.

I'd slash Substitute alongside Leech Life and Façade tbh. You get a free Sub up and at the cost of 25% of its health, Pykumuku is free to SD in the next turn without worrying about status whatsoever.
The Tapu with misty terrain can block status too. And although the they're both fairy type their secondary type protects them from sharing weaknesses. Water resists steel and ghost resists poison. So that's a good alternative.

All those Pokémon names with "k" and "y" and "u" get confusing, I know :P
Ooh lmao.
The Tapu with misty terrain can block status too. And although the they're both fairy type their secondary type protects them from sharing weaknesses. Water resists steel and ghost resists poison. So that's a good alternative.
With doubles in mind yeah, I could somewhat see that working, but in singles it would be a painfully slow and risky set-up: Turn 1 - Switch Tapu-Fini in; Turn 2 - Switch Tapu-Fini Out and Mimikyu in (and hope disguise doesn't get bopped, which it most likely will); Turn 3 - Swords Dance; Turn 4 - Profit. Keep in mind that you gotta do this in 5/8 turns max or otherwise you won't benefit from Misty Terrain's effect, which is the whole point of it.

Besides, they don't really synergize all that well together. Offensively Mimikyu does nothing for Tapu-Fini and defensively they do not patch up each other's weaknesses at all: Tapu Fini is weak to Poison which Mimikyu takes neutral damage from, but is still weak to Steel; Mimikyu is weak to Steel which Tapu-Fini takes neutral damage from, but is still weak to poison. See? You break this core with a simple 50/50 guess and even if you guess it wrong, you still hit them for neutral damage so it's win-win for your opponent either way.

I want to confirm here that Z moves do not retain priority, so we unfortunately aren't getting priority Shadow Sneak Z =/

Ooh lmao.

With doubles in mind yeah, I could somewhat see that working, but in singles it would be a painfully slow and risky set-up: Turn 1 - Switch Tapu-Fini in; Turn 2 - Switch Tapu-Fini Out and Mimikyu in (and hope disguise doesn't get bopped, which it most likely will); Turn 3 - Swords Dance; Turn 4 - Profit. Keep in mind that you gotta do this in 5/8 turns max or otherwise you won't benefit from Misty Terrain's effect, which is the whole point of it.

Besides, they don't really synergize all that well together. Offensively Mimikyu does nothing for Tapu-Fini and defensively they do not patch up each other's weaknesses at all: Tapu Fini is weak to Poison which Mimikyu takes neutral damage from, but is still weak to Steel; Mimikyu is weak to Steel which Tapu-Fini takes neutral damage from, but is still weak to poison. See? You break this core with a simple 50/50 guess and even if you guess it wrong, you still hit them for neutral damage so it's win-win for your opponent either way.
Don't think of it that way. Build a team that hates status effects and just take advantage of the terrain when it's available. Don't focus on switching out and losing your free SD when Mimik gets hit

Sexy Ghost/Fairy typing with solid defenses and decent support options? Sign me up, I hope this thing is good in VGC.

Despite it's underwhelming stats, Disguise and it's unique typing give it some relevance along with Swords Dance + Shadow Sneak. Having 3 immunity gives it opportunities to set up or switch and mantain your free sub. 90 attack is not good, though workable with SD and may sweep when it's checks and counters are removed or weakened. Though not an easy task to accomplish. Looks like an interesting niche poke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)