Minimizing Weaknesses -- XY OU Bulky Offense Team

Introduction

The inspiration for this team was to create a team that does not share any type weaknesses and also has an offensive presence. This isn't my first experience with team-building, but I also wouldn't consider myself an expert. So far, this team has been mildly successful, peaking at around 1500 on the ladder, but it's far from perfect. I want to improve it. Any feedback is appreciated!

Team Preview

Team Analysis

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

My physical sweeper. Multiscale allows him to usually tank at least one hit, but entry hazards can be a problem. With two DD boosts, or even just one, he can be very powerful. Outrage is hard-hitting STAB, EQ for coverage against Heatran and Aegislash, Extreme Speed is fairly powerful priority, which is useful for finishing off weak enemies since he's not that fast. Lum Berry is usually for curing confusion after Outrage, but it's also helpful for taking care of burns and paralysis. Pretty standard EVs.

Weaknesses: Ice (4x), Rock, Fairy, Dragon

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 28 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Bulky physical attacker. Probably most useful member of my team. Hits hard with Huge Power. Knock Off is useful for easing prediction, Play Rough and Waterfall are strong STABs with fairly good coverage, Aqua Jet is priority to make up for his poor Speed. Choice Band is for extra power, and getting locked into a move isn't that bad because all his moves are powerful and he's more of a hit-and-run attacker anyway. EVs are for odd HP to minimize entry hazard damage and 28 Spd to beat Tyranitar.

Weaknesses: Grass, Electric, Poison

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SDef / 40 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Roar
---> Stealth Rock?

Specially defensive. Very useful Talonflame counter. He can also absorb Fire moves directed at Scizor. Lava Plume for STAB and burn hax, Earth Power for other Heatrans and CharX (have to watch out for EQ though), Toxic for residual damage, which is very helpful against Tflame and CharY. Roar for enemies that boost or use Subs. Air Balloon sometimes comes in handy, but it's usually popped pretty early. Standard EVs for Specially Defensive Heatran. 0 Atk IVs, although Foul Play usually isn't a problem, but why not.

***I don't have any hazards on this team, so I was thinking of changing Roar to Stealth Rock. This might be weird though because I have a Defogger. Thoughts?

Weaknesses: Water, Fighting, Ground (4x)

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Bulky special attacker. Very bulky once he Mega-evolves, which isn't hard to do, and pretty powerful. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are strong STABs, HP Fire is for Steel-types, especially Ferrothorn and Scizor, and anything else that resists his STABs. Synthesis is very helpful recovery, which keeps him healthy along with Giga Drain. This guy gets countered easily by Blissey/Chansey and Gothitelle, which is a problem. Standard EVs for outspeeding Azumarill and Mawile.

***I was thinking of adding Roar to this set, but I don't know what that would replace. Any advice?

Weaknesses (once M-Evolved): Flying, Psychic

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Physically defensive. Only one weakness, which is nice. Nowhere near as bulky as his Mega, but oh well. He is my only way of getting rid of entry hazards, which is necessary for Dragonite. Defog is useful whenever I can get it off, Knock Off for predictions, Bug Bite is very strong STAB, Bullet Punch is pretty strong STAB priority. Although he has nice physical bulk, he is very weak to special moves. He might be the weakest link on my team, but I can't find any good alternatives. EVs are standard, for odd HP.

Weaknesses: Fire (4x)

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Fast special attacker and revenge killer. This guy has pulled me out of many tight spots. He's so frail he can survive only one turn before using his Sash, but that's almost always all he needs. Magic Guard means that entry hazards don't break his Sash. Psyshock is his primary STAB attack, which hits Chansey/Blissey and Conkeldurr. I hate Focus Blast's accuracy so much, but he needs it for Tyranitar and Steel-types. Shadow Ball rounds out his coverage against enemies like Aegislash. HP Ice is for a lot of threats like Gliscor, Garchomp, Dragonite, etc. EVs are standard.

***I am considering replacing with Aegislash as per Kazuma Yato's advice.

Weaknesses: Ghost, Dark, Bug

Conclusion

Possible issues:

*No hazard-setters
*Only one sorta weak defogger
*Susceptible to status

As you can see, once Venusaur Mega-Evolves, no two Pokemon on this team share a type weakness. I tried to avoid really overused Pokemon like Rotom-W. I know this team still has a lot of room for improvement, so if you have any ideas to make this team better, please let me know. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
A really solid team and premise in fact I have an RMT going up soon with that same premise but anyway onto the rate.
My only problem is with Alakazam, while Sashkazam is a great addition to many teams, this team isn't one of them as your team handles almost any sweep situation perfectly.
I recommend Aegislash over Alakazam and while I noticed you said you avoided super OU heavy mons like rotom-w and it may ruin the premise of your team I really think Aegislash is a great mon for you to have as Ghost is an amazing typing this gen hitting many many many teams neutrally and for big damage!
Anyway, remember that this is just a suggestion but I really push you to at least test it I'll leave the set below and have fun :D.
~Kazuma

Aegislash (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SAtk / 16 Spd
Rash Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon / Iron Head
This is my personal set.
And if you were curious, I run 16 Spe is just to speed creep slower Aegislash :D

A really solid team and premise in fact I have an RMT going up soon with that same premise but anyway onto the rate.
My only problem is with Alakazam, while Sashkazam is a great addition to many teams, this team isn't one of them as your team handles almost any sweep situation perfectly.
I recommend Aegislash over Alakazam and while I noticed you said you avoided super OU heavy mons like rotom-w and it may ruin the premise of your team I really think Aegislash is a great mon for you to have as Ghost is an amazing typing this gen hitting many many many teams neutrally and for big damage!
Anyway, remember that this is just a suggestion but I really push you to at least test it I'll leave the set below and have fun :D.
~Kazuma

Aegislash (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SAtk / 16 Spd
Rash Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield
- Flash Cannon / Iron Head
This is my personal set.
And if you were curious, I run 16 Spe is just to speed creep slower Aegislash :D
Thanks for your advice! I'm pretty fond of Alakazam, but I'll test run an Aegislash and see how I like it. I don't care if it ruins my premise if it's good! I look forward to seeing your team with the same premise.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey belabourer

This looks like a really solid team already so I just wanted to give a few quick suggestions that could make it better. Charizard Y looks like a pretty big threat to your team. The only things on your team that can take Sun boosted Fire Blasts are Azumarill and Heatran who can be taken out by Solarbeam and Focus Blast respectively. To patch this up, try a Life Orb Latias over Scizor with a moveset of Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Healing Wish / Defog. Latias resists Fire Blast, Solarbeam, and Focus Blast which are the main coverage moves used on Charizard Y and has the special bulk as well as damage to switch in, tank a hit, and then take out Zard Y with Draco Meteors. Latias also provides the Defog support that Scizor and can provide additional support from Healing Wish, letting you bring back a Pokemon that would otherwise have been taken out. It works well with Alakazam if he takes damage that does not bring him down to his Sash, he can be Healing Wished back to full health and have his Sash intact. If you want coverage instead, you can use Thunderbolt over Healing Wish for Skarmory, Azumarill, and such.

On Heatran, I'd definitely go with Stealth Rock in the last moveset. Stealth Rock is crucial for your team as you want to be on the offensive and force switches, so the entry hazard damage will rack up. It also helps turn certain 2HKO's into OHKO's and 3HKO's into 2HKO's etc. for your sweepers. Additionally, it helps with your Zard Y weakness who takes a ton of damage every time he switches in. If you want to use Roar on Heatran, I'd use it over Earth Power.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish / Thunderbolt
- Defog

Reactions: fx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)