Minority's Monopoly Guide

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Disclaimer: Monopoly is usually not a very fun game, but like with many things, being drunk makes it better.

Since I've been staying inside more lately I've been subject to playing some Monopoly, and it reminded me of when I used to play the game seriously. This guide should be useful / interesting to newcomers and veterans alike who want to increase their chances at destroying their friends and family at this notoriously infuriating game. I broke it down into a few different sections, read what appeals to you.

Gameplay by Skill Level
Games tend to play out differently based on the skill of the players. I’ll outline the three common situations and what usually happens as an introduction to the game's progression.

1. All Novices
Properties are usually bought by whoever landed on them, trades occur consistently, and the first one to end up with a CG (Color Group) usually wins. Games tend to last longer because properties are underdeveloped and value is destroyed, either at auctions or through mortgages and demolition.

2. Novices and Skilled Players
Skilled players almost always buy all properties they land on and take advantage of weaker players in trades. Usually the more skilled player will get a CG early with enough cash to develop it and subsequently wipes everyone else out due to one foolish trade. Games are often short.

3. All Skilled Players
Every player almost always buys every property they land on. Buying typically occurs until all the properties are bought. Rarely is cash traded for property, and only in the context of promoting or reducing player's development power. Trades rarely occur unless a player gets a CG or all Railroads out of it. There is often one big trade that involves several players. After the trade those involved will usually be left with a CG or two in addition to a sum of money that is large enough to build, but not so large to get very many houses. Often times the housing market is immediately stalled and every house is auctioned off one after the other until none remain. From there on the dice rule.

Common Misconceptions
1. "The game goes on forever"
Only with house rules. Without house rules (more on this ahead), and quick players of decent competence, Monopoly games usually last 90 to 120 minuets.

2. “Boardwalk is the best, cuz it’s like right next to Go, and you have to like, pay $2000 dollars
In most contexts and by most metrics (more on this later) Boardwalk is not the best property, and its strengths are often as early game leverage in trading or crippling others in the late game.

3. “The Orange CG is the best CG because it’s the most landed on and has the highest return of investment
While these are true and serve as powerful metrics, the best CG depends on context and there are many situations where other CGs are favored. For example, all else equal and with equal luck, the owner of a developed yellow CG will bankrupt the owner of a developed orange CG.

4. “Railroads are overrated
Ignore the heathens. The railroads are some of the best early game investments you can make and will help fund your CGs while also draining your opponents.

5. “Never buy Utilities
A common misconception in regards to higher level play. While the Utilities are the most useless properties in the game they are usually worth the $150 price tag. I would rarely pay more for them at auction, but if you buy the Utilities you will get your money back, it just usually takes a good chunk of the game. The Utilities can justify their value due to the fact they can be mortgaged. Also try to think of the utilities in the context of paying $300 to take $500 from opponents.

6. “I can just win by getting a CG and putting three houses on each property before anyone else
Either you have incredible luck every game (use it in blackjack instead), or your opponents are fools, therefore this is an unrealistic "strategy" in the context of getting consistent wins over a wide range of players.

House Rules
Most people who play Monopoly play it wrong because they add in house rules (and almost always bad ones) which are the reason many people think games of Monopoly go on forever. The biggest common offenders are Free Parking and Double for landing on Go, which drastically inflate the cash players hold, therefore making it nearly impossible to bankrupt players. Some house rules can be fun or even increase the competitive merit of the game, so I’ll briefly cover some of the more popular / better house rules that are around.

1. Free Parking
A player who lands on the Free Parking space earns all income from taxes and cards that force payment. Sometimes a large sum is added on top of this, most commonly a $500 bill. This rule drastically increase game length, makes building houses / hotels easier, and adds another element of chance to disrupt normal progression of the game.

2. Double for Landing on Go
A player gets double their Go money for landing on Go. This makes the game last longer and arbitrarily increases player salary.

3. Double Salary
A player gets $400 for passing Go instead of $200. Extremely potent when combined with Double for Landing where a player gets $800 for landing on Go. Same effect as above.

4. Immunities
Players are allowed to pardon other players from paying rent. Most of the time I suggest not playing this rule, especially with less experienced players. This rule can force more game focus on building relationships for trading or future immunities post-trade. For example, I could make a trade where both my trading partner and I ended up with a complete CG, but their CG is cheaper to develop. As part of the deal I don’t have to pay him rent 3 times when I land on their property so that I have a fair shot at building up my more expensive CG. Some people try to argue that immunities are allowed by the rules, and to them the response is, “Immunities are the same as loans between players” and therefore specifically forbidden by the rules.

5. Reverse Order
The starting order for rolling is reversed after the first turn is completed for everyone since rolling first is a huge advantage. After all the players take one turn the person who rolled last rolls again and the order proceeds in the opposite direction that it started in. This helps give the player who rolls last a chance to own some property before every property in the rolling range is already acquired. I would suggest playing this rule with groups larger than 4.

6. Take a Chance
A player does not have to pick up a chance card when landing on the Chance space, and may simply choose to stay put on the free space. This rule can be interesting, but slow down the game a touch.

7. The Teleporter
If a player lands on Go they may teleport to any space on the board instead of collecting their $200. This rule adds more random chance to the game and makes it easier for players to acquire a CG.

8. Auctions Only
Every time a property is landed on it goes up for auction, unless the player who landed on it wants to pass, and then the property remains un-owned. This is an interesting variation to play because it places more emphasis on estimating property value and future trading skills rather than chance of the roll.

9. Incarcerated
Players are not allowed to collect rent in jail. Say goodbye to the endgame haven.

10. Mercy
When a player is able to obtain a certain amount of money in cash the game is over and that player is the winner. Usually this sum is around $5,000.

11. Hostile Takeover
If a player offers X times (usually two or three) the listed price for a property in a trade and the property owner declines then both players roll the dice. The player with the higher roll decides if the trade occurs or not. This rule helps prevent the clash between the aggressive buyer and the defensive seller, but can eliminate some of the strategy of trading.

12. Time Wasting Fines
Every time a player rolls a die off the table or into houses or hotels only to mess them up, they must pay $50 to the bank. In practice this helps make the game move a little bit faster as it both drains funds and players roll more carefully.

13. Trading Rules
Essentially a rule for any serious play already, trades can only be initiated by the player making the offer on their turn and only before they have rolled. Additionally, only players involved in the trade are allowed to comment on the trade, which stops people from screaming from the sidelines that the trade doesn't fit into their plan.

Color Groups
What properties you get to start with are mostly decided by the dice and its unrealistic to always shoot for a specific CG; however, understanding their strengths and weaknesses will help contextualize how you trade and what you're willing to pay. I've calculated some of the most important metrics in regards to the CGs, presented below.

1. Purple (Med/Bal)
Traffic: Very Low
Price to Develop: Very Low ($620)
Breakeven Time: Very Slow (21.93 Rolls with Hotels)
Availability: Excellent
Crippling Ability: Very Poor ($28.31 Per Roll with Hotels and $450 Max)

The first CG is the cheapest and often easiest to obtain in the game. Its primary use is as a mid-game method of funding a more powerful CG. Never focus on getting this CG alone, as it lacks the power and efficiency to carry you through the game. If you are lucky enough to acquire this CG without trading, use it to immediately corner the housing market and to siphon your opponent’s Go money. If controlling the housing market becomes unimportant, slap some hotels down to maximize their rate of return. I reiterate how easy it is to get this CG as it only requires two properties to complete and most players, even skilled ones, aren’t especially concerned with allowing other players to obtain it. Like the railroads the Purple CG will help fuel your real CG.

2. Light Blues (Or/Ver/Conn)
Traffic: Low
Price to Develop: Low ($770)
Breakeven Time: Fast (11.71 Rolls with 9 houses)
Availability: Great
Crippling Ability: Poor ($110.28 Per Roll with Hotels and $600 Max)

This is the best early to mid-game CG to have. The price to develop is extremely low when compared to similar early investments and allows you to command a third of the housing available. Players who are to buy or trade into this CG early on have a good chance at winning the game. However, like the Purple CG its crippling power is very limited, so there must be focus on obtaining another, more powerful CG. Nevertheless, this CG is a solid moneymaker, despite not being landed on too often. A couple payouts is sufficient to take a position in another CG through auctions, trades, or if you’re lucky; bankruptcy. These properties are also usually acquired quickly since players start at Go, meaning that all three have probably been bought up before many of the other CGs. Like the purples, most players, especially less experienced ones, aren’t too concerned with letting the Light Blue properties go in trades since their wrath is limited. Often times even experienced players will trade me some Light Blues for CGs such as the Reds and the Oranges, and often times I manage to take all their money before they were able to slap down more than six houses.

3. Magentas (StC/St/Vir)
Traffic: Moderate
Price to Develop: Moderate ($1,340)
Breakeven Time: Moderate (13.02 Rolls with 9 houses)
Availability: Good
Crippling Ability: Good ($171.73 Per Roll with Hotels and $900 Max)

Similar to the Orange CG, but not as good. I’ve never really been a fan of the Magenta CG, but it’s still a good investment in the early or mid-game. Magentas are a good backup CG to shoot for when all your hopes and dreams fail. They’re fairly cheap and can dent opponents pretty good. They get landed on a good amount of the time, but aren’t nearly as reliable as the Oranges or the Reds due to their payout and location since it’s too close to jail to be frequently landed on. Unlike the previous CGs the Magentas are actually strong enough to ride with for the duration of the game, but it's difficult to pull off.

4. Oranges (StJ/Tenn/NY)
Traffic: Very High
Price to Develop: Moderate ($1,460)
Breakeven Time: Very Fast (9.5 Rolls with 9 houses)
Availability: Poor
Crippling Ability: Great ($241.10 Per Roll with Hotels and $1,000 Max)

Today even many casual players realize the power of the Orange CG, which makes it that much more difficult to obtain. This CG is landed on very frequently due to its location from jail, and not only has a fantastic return on investment, but is also fairly easy to develop. Like the Magentas I wouldn’t recommend trying to ride this CG for the entire game, but it's easier to do if you can play it right and don’t get horrid luck. The crippling power of the Oranges is substantial, and can keep opponents trying to develop more expensive CGs at bay. During the early phases of the game the Orange CG has insane power, but it's much more difficult to develop than the Purple or Light Blue CG. If you are lucky enough to obtain the Orange CG early and also have enough cash for nine houses, victory is practically assured.

5. Reds (Ken/Ind/Ill)
Traffic: High
Price to Develop: High ($2,030)
Breakeven Time: Fast (11.47 Rolls with 9 houses)
Availability: Poor
Crippling Ability: Wonderful ($261.60 Per Roll with Hotels and $1,100 Max)

The first of the powerhouse CGs, which can bankrupt players in a single turn. The Red CG is the most landed on powerhouse CG in the game and for that reason is quite possibly the best mid to late game CG. It's much harder to develop than any of the previous CGs, and often requires the support of Railroads or one of the previous CGs. A risky but high return strategy focuses on developing this CG immediately. Illinois Ave. is the most landed on property on the board, the CG it’s only a roll or two from jail, a Chance card sends you to this CG, and many of the other Chance and Community Chest cards put you within rolling distance from this CG (Advance to St. Charles Place, Pennsylvania Railroad, Electric Company). Like the Oranges most people know the strength of the Red CG and it's difficult to obtain. Combined with how easy the Reds are to land on makes completing this CG very difficult. Breakeven time is fast, meaning that your investment of $1,350 for nine houses is returned quickly. Don’t be afraid to trade away the Yellows and Greens for the Reds, often times it will pay off.

6. Yellows (Atl/Vent/Marv)
Price to Develop: High ($2,150)
Breakeven Time: Fast (11.85 Rolls with 9 houses)
Availability: Ok
Crippling Ability: Wonderful ($262.30 Per Roll with Hotels and $1,200 Max)

These play very similar to the Reds, but are more lethal. They are slightly more expensive to develop and also hard to get, but yield great rewards of good traffic and high rate of return. Most players will have a hard time slapping down nine houses on the Yellows, leaving this CG as a definite middle to late game investment. Like with the Reds, a lesser CG or the Railroads are often required to fully develop this CG. People land on it fairly often, but not as much as the Reds and the Oranges. If you can’t get a stake in it for the late game, make blocking this CG from others a priority if possible as landing on any of these properties, even with only three houses, is brutal. The Yellow CG is one of the best late game CGs to have because it commands more than the Reds, is much easier to develop than the Greens, and is landed on much more frequently than the Dark Blues.

7. Greens (Pac/NC/Penn)
Price to Develop: Very High ($2,720)
Breakeven Time: Slow (14.71 Rolls with 9 houses)
Crippling Ability: Excellent ($290.30 Per Roll with Hotels and $1,400 Max)

From the most generalist view, the greens are the worst CG in the game. They're the most expensive properties to develop and it will be practically impossible to do so early on. There are many games where I've seen less experienced players trade everything to end up with the Greens and about $1,000 in cash, only to build five houses, land on developed Light Blue or Oranges, and have to sell back their houses to be left with nothing. Greens can be traded for moneymaking properties such as Railroads or CGs on the first half of the board, and their high-ticket prices make them look appealing to novice and sometimes veteran players; use this to your advantage. Going for the Greens is usually a last resort. However, if you manage to acquire this CG and can build 9 or more houses on it, your opponents will take a vicious beating courtesy of their unmatched crippling ability.

8. Dark Blue (Park/Board)
Price to Develop: High ($1,950)
Breakeven Time: Fast (12.38 Rolls with 6 houses)
Availability: Good
Crippling Ability: Wonderful ($159.00 Per Roll with Hotels and $2,000 Max)

The common belief among inexperienced players is that the Dark Blues are either the best because they have the highest price tag, or are the worst because they are never landed on. Both are false. The Dark Blues aren’t fantastic, but are good properties. Their greatest strength is their ability to cripple; three houses Boardwalk commands $1,400, more than any hotel in any other CG in the game. Although it is difficult to land on this CG, they are so punishing that it's often impossible for unlucky opponents to ever recover. Another huge advantage that the Dark Blue CG has is that there are only two properties, making it much easier to obtain. This CG is such a notorious gamble that it coined “Boardwalk or Bust”.

9. Railroads
Traffic: Very High
Price to Develop: Low ($800)
Breakeven Time: Moderate (13.01 Rolls with all 4)
Crippling Ability: Very Poor ($84.96 Per Roll with all 4 and $400 Max)

One of the best moneymakers in the game, the railroads will fuel your CGs while slowly draining your opponents. Because there are four of them and your opponents aren’t very likely to give you more than two without giving up a CG, it can be rather difficult to get them all. In many situations it will be worthwhile giving up a CG to your opponents to get all four Railroads so long as they don’t have much cash to develop with. People tend to be variable with how they value Railroads and give them up more or less easily than others, so don’t be afraid to offer and trade around with them and alongside other properties. Railroads are helped by the fact they are landed on so frequently and that there are several Chance and Community Chest cards that send you to Railroads at double rent. Even more powerful is the fact that every single time your opponent picks up the dice they are in range of a Railroad and at risk of paying you $200. Combine this with the Railroad shuffle strategy and you have a group of properties that can be more brutal than some CGs. The affordability of Railroads is just icing.

10. Utilities
Price to Develop: Very Low ($300)
Breakeven Time: Very Slow (49.58 Rolls with Both)
Availability: Excellent
Crippling Ability: Very Poor ($7.37 Per Roll with Both and $120 Max)

The worst properties in the game. The Utilities are mild moneymakers; seven dollars per roll mild. They are worth buying at their listed price unless you really explicitly need that money to develop or trade. Utilities siphon a bit of your opponents cash and prevents their income from going as far, but they are generally pretty useless. Don't be afraid to trade them around or mortgage them since they aren’t especially important.

Strong Strategy
Alright, so all this information is nice, but how do I actually beat people? Just remember that Monopoly is a volatile game and that even the best players loose games to bad luck (if only there were some other games where that's a thing). With that said, using this strategy or similar principals will greatly increase you chances of winning, especially against casual players. This assumes that you are playing with four or five people and that they are all competent at the game.

1. Hide Your Cash and Properties
A minor point, but don’t have your money separated into sorted stacks and laid out on the table. Hold all your cash and properties in your hand and always conceal how much cash and what properties you have. Your opponents will have a much harder time strategizing and planning trades if they cannot remember what properties you bought and how much cash you have. I usually tuck my cash and property stack under my thigh whenever it's not in use so that no one can see it without being at risk of being called out for checking me out (ha). Other experienced players will be hiding their stack too, so make sure you keep track of what they have, either mentally or on paper.

2. Buy Every Property You Land On (Almost Always)
Every property is worth the ticket price and will be valuable to someone, meaning that your investment will be returned, and more. The only times you should decline to buy a property if you know it can be bought for cheaper at auction. In higher level play, with the exception of late-game properties, the only ones I commonly see cheaper than ticket price are the Utilities, which often go for $120-$140 at auction. Every property is at the very minimum worth the mortgage value, so never pass up a chance to bid lower than that no matter how poor you are. If you go to jail, buy your way out so long as there are properties un-owned. The exception is if there are houses built anywhere other than on your property, then stay in jail for as long as possible.

3. Build Relationships
Monopoly is (somewhat) about people skills. If you appear too competitive or too large of a threat your opponents will be less likely to trade with you, or will give harsher deals, which will make it much more difficult to win. Don't pass up opportunities to help people out, break bills for them, or loan them a dollar or two for small rents so that they don’t have to break larger bills (technically against the rules but most people don’t care if its just a dollar or two). Be relaxed at the table and (try to) have a good time playing.

4. Make a Plan
The earlier and more flexible, the better, After several turns you should start to get an idea of who will end up with what properties along with what players are trying to prioritize. Decide what CG / railroads you're aiming for, preferably one that performs better in the early game. If you are lucky enough to get a CG without trading do your best to drain opponents early while mitigating risk. Don't be afraid to offer trades (that are somewhat) in your favor early on; very sharp opponents will largely ignore these, but they can ease you into the trading process more easily later or even give misinformation of your intentions.

5. The Big Trade
Once all or most of the properties are acquired a big trade between multiple players becomes inevitable. Your focus so far should be to ensure you're a part of this trade, even if it means that your opponents end up a little better than yourself; being left out without a CG is even worse.

Best realistic scenario is that at the end of this trade you end up with a CG that is cheap to develop and you have enough cash to fully develop it. Ideally you will walk away with the light blues, magentas, or the oranges with about $700 to $1000 cash on you (this is difficult, especially with the oranges). If I can’t secure these I'll often aim for the railroads or for the purples with a few mismatched properties and about $600 or more cash (easier negotiating, but worse odds). The next best shot is usually going for the reds or yellows with as much cash as your opponents will allow you with, usually not more than $1000. If this is your path you can go ahead and trade off most or all of your mismatched properties to try and get as much cash as possible since doing so is less risky since you yourself own a strong CG. Acquiring the dark blues or greens is much better than acquiring no CG, but it's typically not ideal. Be especially smart and meticulous about when and where you build the houses, hope people land on them, and hope that you can build up to three houses before you're forced to tear any down. In most games I seem to end up with the light blues or the purples because most people, especially less experienced opponents, don’t consider them a threat and are quick to let them trade. Oranges, Reds, and Yellows are high-demand and frequently the centerpiece of the big trade.

For other tips, don’t be afraid to trade more valuable properties for cheaper ones. I often trade away yellows, greens, and dark blues for the light blues or railroads, just make sure your opponents aren't left with enough money to get three houses on any strong CG. Good players will not give away anything in the big trade unless they get a CG or railroads out of it, along with enough cash to build at least a few houses. Sometimes you’ll get properties that are useless to you but can be traded to those left out of the big trade, so don’t panic if your opponents complete strong CGs like the Reds or Yellows while you’re only left with three railroads, two-thirds of a CG and a miss-matched property or two. Only in rare circumstances should you trade everything you have to end up with a single CG and little money to develop it with, as this is often a volatile and subsequently vulnerable position. If possible, prioritize holding onto one or two properties of a strong CG to lock it up into the future.

6. Housing Development
After the big trade most people will have a CG and are ready to build. With strong players the housing market is clogged up immediately and the rights to build the individual houses are auctioned off to the highest bidder. I typically allow the first few houses to pass because these and the last few tend to be the ones paid the most for. I usually pay no more than about $75 for the rights to a single house. Try and secure the rights to at least seven houses if you have a strong CG (this allows one property with three houses on it, which is when the rent jumps drastically and is most efficient). After you have all the houses that you need don’t be afraid to rack up the prices for the other people bidding, especially those who are close to getting seven, eight, or nine houses. Remember to hold enough money to build the ones you bought plus at least $300 extra to survive landing on your opponents’ houses or railroads. BE A SLUM LORD. If there is a housing shortage don’t build hotels EVER. If you were lucky enough to be the only person with a CG you should still (usually) not build hotels and instead dominate housing before anyone gets a chance to buy. This is another place where the light blue CG excels; if you can get it early, slap down twelve houses for a cheap $600 and watch opponents fight post-trade over the few remaining houses. Proceed to bid up the prices and no one will have enough for even three houses on a single property, let alone ever seeing a hotel. The only time that I would recommend building a hotel is when the game is down to only two or three players and housing is controlled equally; at this point how much your opponent pays is more important than how much housing you control.

7. Strong CGs and Risk Management
Moving into the late game you should have accumulated some cash and may have even bankrupted an opponent or two. Focus on choices that maximize your ability to obtain or develop a strong CG, the higher crippling, the better. Sometimes you can either trade around to get the remainder of a CG (doesn't happen often with experienced players) or you can wait to bankrupt a player or two for their CG. If you do trade, it will most likely be a swap where three or so people complete the remaining CGs. Built up your strong CG as soon as possible, but be mindful about player locations and retaining a certain amount of cash for opponent CGs so you don't destroy value through demolition. Ideally, ensure you can afford the worst rent on the board once without having to bulldoze houses, however more complex probability-based assessments are common at high level. Only build when players are within rolling distance of what you’re building. Ultimately aim for three or four houses on your second CG. If there aren’t enough houses in the bank, convert your twelve houses (Or eight if you have the purples) on your first CG into hotels and use those twelve houses to build on your new CG so that no one can build with them.

8. Last Turns
If you’ve made if this far you had not terrible luck and only two or three players are left. If you acquire additional CGs build them up carefully against what your opponent has on the board and remember to only build up when your opponent is in range. If you have the railroads and are short on cash implement the railroad shuffle strategy; have all the railroads mortgaged except the one that is within your opponent’s roll, if they land on it they still have to pay $200 while you can invest the other $300 into housing or as backup cash so you avoid bulldozing houses. As your opponent moves around un-mortgage the railroad closest to them and mortgage the other, which costs a mere $10, well worth the chance to take $200 from your opponent every turn. If you are able to control at least twenty six of the thirty two houses at any point, then you have practically won. Luck of the dice rules from here, so focus on optimizing your probability of gaining rent while minimizing your risk of demolition.

Crux

Banned deucer.
While Monopoly was originally designed to critique the excesses of capital, it is threads/strategies like this that demonstrate how thoroughly it has been corrupted. Rather than focussing on the structures that incentivise individualistic actions like bankrupting others for leisure, we formalise and perfect them so as to upset our family members. The game of Monopoly, I think, is truly emblematic of the methods of late capitalism, and important for how we conceive of and mobilise in this age. We cannot use the tools that were given to us by the capitalist class, nor can we use the tools that have been coopted by them. In that sense, Monopoly has been transformed into a metaphor for liberalism and identity politics, which now focus exclusively on the individual. The house rules that you decry actually focus more power on the collective - allowing the group to formulate its own resistance to the inherently capitalist structure. In that context, your repudiation of them is very problematic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)