ORAS OU Misfortune: A Shedinja VoltTurn Team (1400+ ELO)

(credit to MBLOCK on deviantart)
Hello Smogon! Danceoff from the ladder returns to the forums! This is my RMT for the team I used to get to 1400+ for the first time in OU. Let's look into the team!

I know people have used Shedinja to great effect long before I have, but I feel like I can bring something new to the table.

Of course, I wanted to build my team around Shedinja. His unique ability, Wonder Guard, allows him to hard counter the likes of Mega Lopunny, the Lati twins, Keldeo, and other OU threats which is quite a niche, making him an efficient pivot.

From there, I needed Pokemon that would be able to give safe switch-ins to Shedinja and whoever else I'd add to the team, and also that would be able to see what threats come in through Shedinja's Baton Pass, including Pursuit Trappers like Bisharp and Tyranitar. Landorus-Therian took care of both of them, especially considering Intimidate. Rotom-Wash was a good pick from there, completing a 3-way VoltTurn core. Rotom-W also takes care of Gliscor and Mega Gyarados's that can threaten the current core we have.

From there, a few things would've been a problem, mostly hazards and stall in general. I found a way to combine Stallbreaker and Defog Mew, and while it's not to much of a Stallbreaker (considering the removal of Taunt), it still retains Will-O-Wisp and Knock Off, which can cripple some mons, as well as being able to take non-super effective hits and heal.

Quite a few things would pose a problem to my team, including Chesnaught, Mega Latias, Mega Sableye, and some others. Things that Unaware Clefable could easily handle. Since some of my team members are easy to setup on, Clefable serves as the counter to those. Serperior, Belly Drum Azumarill, basically every dragon, and Manaphy are completely handled by Clefable. Overall adds checks and counters that my team would otherwise be squashed by.

After all of this, I still needed a Mega Evolution and an offensive wincon. Since my team was good at waiting out, forcing switches, countering, and all of this on Stealth Rocks, at some point the opponent's team would be weak. On top of that, his checks like Mega Slowbro, Gliscor, Mega Altaria, Heatran, etc. were easily taken care of by Clefable and Rotom. His ability to destroy so much at +2 was an extreme help to the team in the end.

The Team

Shedinja @ Focus Sash

Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass
The key to the team is Standard Focus Sash Shedinja. Shedinja serves many purposes on this team. For starters, it's an efficient scout on many switch-ins. Shedinja allows me to switch in on Pokemon and either force switches or scout status or super-effective moves. If I know they have to switch, I can Baton Pass to switch-in myself, I can Will-O-Wisp in order to cripple the switch-in, and I can Shadow Sneak. Despite not being able to hurt it, Shedinja takes 0 from Mega Lopunny, due to his Wonder Guard ability, and cripple her himself. On top of that, he serves as an alternate switch-in to Latios, say Clefable is down, as well as Megagross. In the situation an opposing mon as a surprise coverage move, I have my focus sash. I opted for Sash instead of Safety Goggles because Goggles are mostly to take on Hippowdon, as TTar has Pursuit to counter you anyways, whereas Sash allows you to take mostly anything. Max Attack in order to do as much as possible from a Shadow Sneak (as Shedinja beats Gengar due to priority and sash), and speed in order to outspeed some things and because lol what else am I going to invest it into? Overall, Shedinja was a fun Pokemon to experiment with, and turned out to be useful in showing moves and switches for my team to exploit.

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
Part one of the VoltTurn core, Landorus-Therian provides itself as my lead. Using Stealth Rocks and U-Turn, Landorus is able to set up rocks and escape danger. Against lead Chansey, it's a guaranteed 2HKO after Knock Off. When dealing with the common Ferrothorn lead, Landorus can 3HKO with Earthquake, something that is hard to do without the Soft Sand, and the Soft Sand is helpful because there's no catch to spamming Earthquake. With some of Landorus's common counter leads, such as Skarmory and Gliscor can be dealt with. With Gliscor, it's a 50/50 situation if the Gliscor has Protect, between Knock Off and Stealth Rock, and ultimately comes down to what the Gliscor will do to the team switch-in and damage wise. Meanwhile, Physically Defensive Skarmory is easily dealt with by Rotom's Hydro Pump and Volt Switch. Problems to Landorus include Ice Punch Tyranitar, Sash Weavile, and many bulky water types. Things which can easily be taken care of by our next Pokemon...

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers

Ability
: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature​
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

A pain to all that oppose it, Rotom-Wash is the second part and one of the key components of this team. Using his double stab and Will-O-Wisp, Rotom-W acts as an extreme physical wall, especially considering his defensive stat. Take Mega Gyarados, a Pokemon that threatens the other 2 parts of the switching core, being Shedinja and Landorus-T, which is handled simply by Rotom-Wash and can live a Crunch until +3. Pokemon also able to be taken on by Rotom include Talonflame, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and other things that could kill Landorus and Shedinja. Pain Split is obligatory recovery and has the added bonus of being able to take on Chansey. Interesting things Rotom can do include Will-O-Wisping and then Volt Switching, as mostly WoW will force a switch.

So now we have our core, but we really can't deal with stall teams much. That, and we don't have any hazard control needed for Shedinja to be effective. Therefore, we have next...

Mew @ Leftovers

Ability
: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
Stallbreaker Defog Mew is a Pokemon that while it may look strange it's actually been an interesting mon to use. For starters, Ferrothorn isn't a fan of this set. Not only can its item be knocked off (and Leftovers / Rocky Helmet is pretty significant), Thunder Wave is synchronized or Will-O-Wisped, and Defog destroys it's setup. On top of that, Mew has an efficient way to recover in Soft-Boiled. Defog is an important asset to the team. Firstly, say there are hazards, all the switching the team does will hamper the team's ability to function well, as they slowly get into OHKO ranges. Knock Off and Will-O-Wisp can cripple opposing mons easily, allowing more switching in between the opposing team and more damage :D. Of course, Mew doesn't necessarily die easily. Therefore, Mew can break stall, but not as well as normal Stallbreaker Mew.

With both an answer to stall and hazards, our team could still be weakened, and we don't have a universal way of recovering. We need a cleric. We also need something that can handle any situation that gets thrown at it. Thus, we have...

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability
: Unaware?
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold
Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
The second wall of pink on this team is Clefable. Due to its new Fairy typing, Clefable now checks quite a lot of things, and is a hard counter to Dragon-types, as Clefable can switch into at least 1 of their moves and force switches. I chose a physically defensive variant because of late-game Talonflame, as Rotom is likely dead by the time Talonflame comes into play, while Clefable probably won't be. As well as being a wall, the ability Unaware means that setup sweepers have a tough time against Clefable, and while there are probably better Unaware sets than this, WishTect and Heal Bell also add the niche of Clefable being a cleric, and since it can switch on setup sweepers that most likely are heavily weakening the rest of my team, 197 HP to any of them is helpful. Also, some mons, especially stall, will likely be trying to cripple my team, which is where Heal Bell comes in. Heal Bell being amazing and curing my whole team is great for battling stall teams. Also, being able to almost freely pass wishes, with very few things OHKOing it, Clefable provides itself as a very good wall and cleric, better than Chansey because of her reliance on her item to remain defensive, while Clef doesn't have that.

So our team is looking pretty defensive at the moment. We've got a lot of forcing switches and Rocks and getting just the small edge on the opposing team. Can we get a Pokemon that can take advantage of rocks and serve as an offensive win condition?

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X

Ability
: Blaze --> Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
My offensive win condition, late-game sweeper, and Mega Evolution is Mega Charizard X. As a surprise to the opponents considering my mostly defensive team, Charizard takes advantage of my team's ability to switch under hazards. Even with Mew and hazards down, Charizard can still punch holes in teams due to his Dragon Dance setup and double STAB on top of Tough Claws. At +2, Flare Blitz OHKOs Chansey, which can be a major problem to the team, as well as pretty much OHKOing and outspeeding the entire meta. Despite the recoil damage from Flare Blitz, Charizard can heal himself with Roost. Say Flare Blitz is resisted, Dragon Claw can probably kill as well from a boost, all without taking any recoil. Not much else needs to be said. Jolly to be as fast as possible and kills everything.

That's All Folks!

Extra Things
Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

A few things with editing and things freaking out in this writeup, but hopefully it doesn't bug you too much.

Thank you for reading! I know it's a lot in comparison to other RMTs out there, but hopefully it's still enough information to inform you about my team and hopefully you can advise me on what's wrong and what can be fixed. Thank you for reading!

-Danceoff.

So the first thing im noting is that you only have 1 wincon. Setting up with Char X is the only lategame sweeper you've got; this makes you're ability to clean very match up dependent.

So, Im gonna recommend you change your clef to Magic Guard calm mind. This checks a lot of the same stuff, and helps give your team so speed control with Twave. I use LO as the item since clef has good bulk, doesnt take damage from toxic/burn, has reliable recovery, and needs a boosting item to make up for its uninvested spA. Leftovers is also a good option. This set is a good wincon and can annoy opponents mid and early game by throwin out twaves. Heres the set i recommend:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

Well clef does help your matchup versus stall, your "stallbreaker mew" doesnt do much actual stall breaking. Anything that can tank knockoffs doesnt care about it, and all stall teams have at bare minimum 1 cleric to heal off any burns it tosses out. So, im gonna make the weird suggestion of running Choice Specs Rotom-Wash. You can use Trick over painsplit to cripple a lot of stall mons, none of whom like to be locked into 1 move. I'm not 100% certain about this but its the easiest way to improve your stall match up.

Hope this helped!

So the first thing im noting is that you only have 1 wincon. Setting up with Char X is the only lategame sweeper you've got; this makes you're ability to clean very match up dependent.

So, Im gonna recommend you change your clef to Magic Guard calm mind. This checks a lot of the same stuff, and helps give your team so speed control with Twave. I use LO as the item since clef has good bulk, doesnt take damage from toxic/burn, has reliable recovery, and needs a boosting item to make up for its uninvested spA. Leftovers is also a good option. This set is a good wincon and can annoy opponents mid and early game by throwin out twaves. Heres the set i recommend:

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

Well clef does help your matchup versus stall, your "stallbreaker mew" doesnt do much actual stall breaking. Anything that can tank knockoffs doesnt care about it, and all stall teams have at bare minimum 1 cleric to heal off any burns it tosses out. So, im gonna make the weird suggestion of running Choice Specs Rotom-Wash. You can use Trick over painsplit to cripple a lot of stall mons, none of whom like to be locked into 1 move. I'm not 100% certain about this but its the easiest way to improve your stall match up.

Hope this helped!
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll get onto testing them ASAP.

However, I have a question; If I add Specs Rotom, what am I going to do with Mew? Should I change it to the standard Defog set? Should I replace it?

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll get onto testing them ASAP.

However, I have a question; If I add Specs Rotom, what am I going to do with Mew? Should I change it to the standard Defog set? Should I replace it?
I think you should keep mew; it's one of the better defoggers in the tier. The standard defog set should be fine.

✧✧✧Hi, Anime_Fan here✧✧✧

Great job on the team. It seems to me that you've really given it some thought, so I'll try my best to help out as best I can.
That said, let's get started; here are a few pointers about the team:
  • Your team is weakened by DD users with anti-fairy coverage e.g. Zard-X, Weavile, Haxours and Kyruem Black (they can have poison or steel coverage).
  • The team could do with addition hazard removal and means of beating Sand Summoners e.g. Tyranitar (Sandstorm will KO Shedinja dead lol).
  • Powerful stall breakers can potentially 6-0 the team e.g. Serperior, RD Manaphy (with Energy ball) etc.
  • Powerful Wallbreakers weaken your team e.g. Volcanion, Bisharp, Charizard Y (once Zard-X is defeated).
  • Shedinja doesn't serve a purpose on your team i.e. everything it's immune to are walled by your current team.
Note: Since Shedinja's the price member of the team, would you consider replacing Charizard-X with Mega Sableye? It's bulky Magic Bounce would be beneficial.

= Ideal Partners

Here are a few changes you might like:
[Replace Mew]♛
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell / Defog
- Roost

I recommend Togekiss as your fairy-type of choice over Clefable. It's ability to Stall break and beat Serperior is extremely beneficial for your team (because Serperior could potentially 6-0 your entire team). It's access to Heal Bell would also come in handy for supporting your teammates by curing their status. Heal Bell also allows it to beat Chansey.
[Replace Rotom W's set]♛
Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

This set benefits from Clefables Wish-support as it lacks Pain Split. It does however offer a means of crippling opposing Zard-X who could easily weaken your walls. The reason I recommend this build is for its ability to counter Volcanion and Bisharp (who're prominent threats to your team). It still retains it ability to check and wall many flying type Pokemon such as Tornadus-T, Pinsir and Talonflame.

[Replace Landorus-T's set]♛
Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

This Landorus-T build is a hybrid inspired by the offensive and defensive set. With a Yache Berry you'll be able to absorb ice type assaults from the likes of Mega Manetric and Thundurus, and KO it them back with either Earthquake or Stone Edge.

Notable Pokemon...

Mega Sableye's has a great ability and typing that works well with Shedinja. Since Shedinja will be target for most Status moves such as Willowisp and Toxic, Mega Sableye could easily bounce those status back at the foe. If using Mega Sableye, I recommend replacing Zard-X. M-Sableye also goes an excellent job in deterring the foe from setting up hazards, this give Shedinja many opportunities to enter play.

Dugtrio's ability in removing Tyranitar would benefit Shedinja so much. Since all it takes is 1 Sandstorm damage to KO Shedinja, Dugtrio would be incredibly useful for beating TTar, the infamous summoner of Sandstorms. This would have also benefited Latios by removing or weakening every Pursuit trapper in game.

+

Latios and Latias would have made great Defoggers for the team as they resist the majoiry of what the team is weak against e.g. Charizard Y. They'd also benefit from Dugtrio's ability in being able to remove Tyranitar, Bisharp, Heatran, Volcanion, Magnezone and Mega Diancie etc.

Seismitoad forms such a great core with Stall Breaker togemiss for it's ability to switch into Mega Manetric and potentially wall Volcanion (lacking HP grass).

P.S: With all due respect, I don't believe Shedinja works on an offensive team. To use Shedinja I sincerely recommend Mega Sableye and Dugtrio support. LOL, the crowed Pokemon I mentioned before ironically form a great Shedinja team xD

✧✧✧Hi, Anime_Fan here✧✧✧

Great job on the team. It seems to me that you've really given it some thought, so I'll try my best to help out as best I can.
That said, let's get started; here are a few pointers about the team:
  • Your team is weakened by DD users with anti-fairy coverage e.g. Zard-X, Weavile, Haxours and Kyruem Black (they can have poison or steel coverage).
  • The team could do with addition hazard removal and means of beating Sand Summoners e.g. Tyranitar (Sandstorm will KO Shedinja dead lol).
  • Powerful stall breakers can potentially 6-0 the team e.g. Serperior, RD Manaphy (with Energy ball) etc.
  • Powerful Wallbreakers weaken your team e.g. Volcanion, Bisharp, Charizard Y (once Zard-X is defeated).
  • Shedinja doesn't serve a purpose on your team i.e. everything it's immune to are walled by your current team.
Note: Since Shedinja's the price member of the team, would you consider replacing Charizard-X with Mega Sableye? It's bulky Magic Bounce would be beneficial.

= Ideal Partners

Here are a few changes you might like:
[Replace Mew]♛
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell / Defog
- Roost

I recommend Togekiss as your fairy-type of choice over Clefable. It's ability to Stall break and beat Serperior is extremely beneficial for your team (because Serperior could potentially 6-0 your entire team). It's access to Heal Bell would also come in handy for supporting your teammates by curing their status. Heal Bell also allows it to beat Chansey.
[Replace Rotom W's set]♛
Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

This set benefits from Clefables Wish-support as it lacks Pain Split. It does however offer a means of crippling opposing Zard-X who could easily weaken your walls. The reason I recommend this build is for its ability to counter Volcanion and Bisharp (who're prominent threats to your team). It still retains it ability to check and wall many flying type Pokemon such as Tornadus-T, Pinsir and Talonflame.

[Replace Landorus-T's set]♛
Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

This Landorus-T build is a hybrid inspired by the offensive and defensive set. With a Yache Berry you'll be able to absorb ice type assaults from the likes of Mega Manetric and Thundurus, and KO it them back with either Earthquake or Stone Edge.

Notable Pokemon...

Mega Sableye's has a great ability and typing that works well with Shedinja. Since Shedinja will be target for most Status moves such as Willowisp and Toxic, Mega Sableye could easily bounce those status back at the foe. If using Mega Sableye, I recommend replacing Zard-X. M-Sableye also goes an excellent job in deterring the foe from setting up hazards, this give Shedinja many opportunities to enter play.

Dugtrio's ability in removing Tyranitar would benefit Shedinja so much. Since all it takes is 1 Sandstorm damage to KO Shedinja, Dugtrio would be incredibly useful for beating TTar, the infamous summoner of Sandstorms. This would have also benefited Latios by removing or weakening every Pursuit trapper in game.

+

Latios and Latias would have made great Defoggers for the team as they resist the majoiry of what the team is weak against e.g. Charizard Y. They'd also benefit from Dugtrio's ability in being able to remove Tyranitar, Bisharp, Heatran, Volcanion, Magnezone and Mega Diancie etc.

Seismitoad forms such a great core with Stall Breaker togemiss for it's ability to switch into Mega Manetric and potentially wall Volcanion (lacking HP grass).

P.S: With all due respect, I don't believe Shedinja works on an offensive team. To use Shedinja I sincerely recommend Mega Sableye and Dugtrio support. LOL, the crowed Pokemon I mentioned before ironically form a great Shedinja team xD
Thank you for this! A lot of information, the team might go through a full redesign lol.

Quick question, You said in Togekiss I should replace Mew with her, but then go to say it should be the fairy of choice over Clefable, and then Rotom-Wash saying it benefits from Wish support. Which is it? Do you recommend I switch Clefable to something as well? And if you meant to say replace it with Clefable, what should I replace Mew with as Togekiss is a stall breaker? Just a little confusion.

Thank you for this! A lot of information, the team might go through a full redesign lol.

Quick question, You said in Togekiss I should replace Mew with her, but then go to say it should be the fairy of choice over Clefable, and then Rotom-Wash saying it benefits from Wish support. Which is it? Do you recommend I switch Clefable to something as well? And if you meant to say replace it with Clefable, what should I replace Mew with as Togekiss is a stall breaker? Just a little confusion.
lol, you're welcome.

...and yes, I would recommend replacing Mew with Togekiss. You need a stall breaker, and mew is prone to pursuit trapping. Without mew, Shedinja and Charizard-X are most likely dead with Stealth Rock on the field.

Best of luck again! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)