Mission: Typhlosion

Hey everyone, I'm back with another RMT in RU! My last team was my first in the tier and was rather obvious, but this team sheds some light on an underrated threat: Specs Typhlosion. My favorite out of the 2nd gen starters, I was thrilled to see it surviving in the RU metagame. I decided to try the Choice Specs set since it's already fast (and isn't the scarf set kind of lackluster offensively?) and it worked wonders. I haven't played with the team for a week (not feeling well) and the score has been going down point by point, but I have reached over 1800 with only about 36ish battles under the belt. Three of the losses were just understanding how to use some of the Pokemon. So here is the team!

Team Building

First, I wanted a fast and powerful sweeper that wasn't used enough and isn't necessarily a glass cannon. I turned to Typhlosion immediately once I saw it low on the August stats. Now I have a powerful special wall breaker that can beat anything.

Next I needed a classic FWG core. These three perform nicely. Rotom-C also is a specially-oriented revenge killer. With Rotom-C covering Ground-, Water-, and Rock-types, Kabutops is able to spin away and tank Entei's attacks.

Now I wanted a Pokemon that could break walls for Typhlosion. Though both Gallade and Aggron occupied this spot, I chose Hitmonlee and Absol to be my physical sweepers here.

Finally, I needed something to get Gallade in check and to ease the pressure off of Rotom-C and Kabutops to take hits. Uxie also is my current lead. This team has done very well so far, and I'm impressed in what they can do together.

This is my peak, although it isn't the highest I've gone (I think I won one more game before taking a break and getting sick). For this being only my second actual team, I'm proud of myself for this tier.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

This spot used to be occupied by Uxie, however its lack of offense and generally unneeded paralysis convinced me to change. Mesprite provides nearly as much bulk while bringing some offense to the table. Stealth Rock is what almost every lead needs, of course. This is why Molters, Entei, and Typhlosion are lesser threats. Psyshock hits Gallade and other Fighting-types harder than Psychic. Also, special walls are caught off guard. Ice Beam is to hit Druddigon and Tangrowth harder than the other set. Ice Beam also gets other Stealth Rock setters out earlier (plus, this is a great move for Taunt Aerodactyl). U-Turn is to keep momentum and hit Slowking for passable damage. Mesprit may not have the defensive prowess that Uxie has, though its ability to apply offensive pressure while still tanking is just as good--if not better.

Kabutops @ Lum Berry
Trait: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Kabutops is my offensive setup spinner of course. Kabutops never fails in spinning since it can take any spinner one-on-one. Swords Dance is used to set up once the opponent switches into something that can take a hit. However, once I'm at +2, the team is scared of this menacing sweeper. Rapid Spin is the main use of Kabutops since it gets rid of the Stealth Rock problem with Typhlosion. Aqua Jet kills weakened threats and gets the last word in before Kabutops faints. Stone Edge is for nice damage that stacks up, though the output is good enough for Entei, Moltres, and Typhlosion. Kabutops has never let me down.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

I have to include my favorite scarfer in RU! Anyway, Rotom-C is basically the answer to bulky waters (who do not want to take repeated Thunderbolts, nor one Leaf Storm). Rotom-C gives me a wonderful scout that can also tank electric hits very well. Levitate also lets Typhlosion have a safe switch-in. Also, Rotom-C is resistant to Water-types, so the weight for Typhlosion is lifted. Leaf Storm obliterates bulky waters, while Thunderbolt is the spamming move. HP Fire hits Tangrowth, Escavalier, Ferroseed, and Durant for a lot of damage. This makes Rotom-C a great check to many offensive threats. Rotom-C has the tools it needs to become something great some day.

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Typhlosion is underrated. This is precisely why I basically based my team on it. Choice Specs Eruption basically 2HKOs the whole tier that doesn't resist it. Focus Blast allows Typhlosion to get Rock-types and just coverage in general. I use HP Grass to cover Slowking (the wall to this entire set) and Rhydon. I used to have HP Rock for Moltres, but I guess I don't really need it since Moltres is so weak to rocks. Fire Blast is a reliable (can I even say that about Fire Blast?) move to use as back up for Eruption. I cannot believe how strong Eruption is on the Pokemon. I have some damage calcs to show everyone:

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 288-340 (103.97 - 122.74%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Gallade: 288-340 (88.07 - 103.97%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Druddigon: 177-209 (50 - 59.03%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Uxie: 259-306 (73.16 - 86.44%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Of course, this is saying that rocks are not on the field, but about 80% of the time I've been able to either put too much pressure for hazards or Kabutops got rid of them. Be careful with Typhlosion, its Eruption is lethal.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Hitmonlee is the newest addition to my team. This guy replaced Gallade, although I'm now wondering if I should regret that. Hitmonlee's goal is to come in and revenge kill with Mach Punch. The Fighting Gem will activate. From there on, we have a fast and powerful sweeper because of Unburden. Close Combat is a very dangerous move for both sides, however I have Pokemon that can work around priority. Stone Edge hits Flying-types, while Earthquake rounds the set off for coverage. Hitmonlee has actually done pretty well. This spot is very open to ideas. I've been circulating between Hitmonlee, Gallade, Tauros, and Aggron. I'll take any physical suggestion for a physical wallbreaker.

Absol @ Dread Plate
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Absol almost cracked Top 10 in last month's usage stats. I must admit that I can see why. Absol has even lower speed than Gallade, yet its Dread Plate set is better than a Choice Scarf? Yes. Absol has many tools that separates it from a speed stat (although I like the investment, don't get me wrong). Sucker Punch is the main reason to use Absol sometimes, especially with Super Luck. With the most powerful STAB priority in the tier, Absol can go through Pokemon such as Galvantula without having to sweat at all. Another reason a scarf isn't needed is that there is paralysis support from Uxie. Night Slash usually gets me the KO on Slowking (due to the critical hits) and Pursuit gets Pokemon that are switching out. I used to have Fire Blast here. To be honest, I've never even used Superpower. I'm figuring it's for Aggron, but I haven't needed it yet. Absol cleans up late game and does super well. I guess by now you guys know it just has Super Luck!

Thanks for reading all the way through! I'll tell you the struggles of my team. Gallade is only risky if Typhlosion isn't at full health. Druddigon can cause problems, but it can be worn down over time. Status is probably the worst part. I have literally never seen Amoonguss, so I haven't needed a Sleep Talker, but I'm figuring that If I were to enter the 1850 stats that I would need to find one. Poison also limits the longevity of Pokemon, though I can find ways around that. Other than that, I haven't really found a problem against any of my opponents. I'm really wanting to keep Typhlosion since it is the basis of my team...I hope you can understand. I'm glad you all read my RMT and I hope you'll be able to help me on it!

Edit: Gallade is not as much of a threat at the moment. Status is what plagues this team, though Kabutops can soak it in once and Typhlosion switches into burns.

Last edited:
Hi congratz on your peak! This is a real solid team. Here are few things you can change to improve your team.

1) Trick for Thunderbolt (Rotom) Trick can cripple many stall pokemon and i think it's more useful for you as you can use volt switch to keep up the momentum even without T-Bolt.
2) Changing Absol for Magneton. Your team dosen't like Spiritomb, and Magneton can set a sub and then knock it out or force it to switch The set is here:

Magneton @ Eviolite
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spa
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

With 0 Speed IVs, allows Magneton to have a free life orb, as it will most probably movelast. T-Bolt hits hard, Volt switch for momentum, and Flash Cannon for more coverage.

I think HP Grass would be more useful on Typlo, as Moltres's resistance to Eruption/ Fire Blast is rather futile with your rocks up.

Lastly all the best for you! :) That's all from me good luck with your team.

Thanks for you suggestions!

I will switch HP Grass back on Typhlosion.

For Rotom-C, Thunderbolt is a spammable attack that I really need if I'm the last Pokemon. Trick is nice, but when it was on the set, I never got to use it. I think I might stick to Thunderbolt.

I will try the Magneton set you gave me for sure. However, Gallade, Fire-types, and Ground-types will have no problem going through it. I already have two weaknesses to Ground, so if I have another (regardless of the two immunities), there will be a lot of pressure on two Pokemon. Also, Absol has the power to knock offensive Gallade out in one hit while Magneton doesn't want to take a Drain Punch / Close Combat. I'll still try it, though, since Magneton is a great Pokemon.

Thank you for reading my RMT and I appreciate the help!

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a p. solid team you got here and I love the use of Choice Specs Typhlosion. That being said, there's a couple of things I will suggest:

If you keep Hitmonlee (I know you've been switching between it, Gallade, and a couple of others) then I would recommend using Pursuit over Fire Blast on Absol. While this would give Absol less utility with breaking physical walls, it would allow Absol to remove Ghost- and Psychic-type Pokemon for your kicking friend there as it gets stopped cold by them currently. With this move, I would also try out Dread Plate over Life Orb as 3 of your moves would be Dark-type moves if you put Pursuit over Fire Blast. Lastly, without a special attack, running a Jolly or Adamant nature would be advised as there would be no reason to keep Special Attack up.

While Uxie certainly is good for the team in spreading paralysis, you have 2 priority users and a Scarf user, which kind of makes the paralysis support redundant imo as you'll usually have the answer for faster threats anyways. So, considering this is more of an offensive team, I would suggest that you replace Uxie with Mesprit. While Mesprit doesn't have the almighty bulk Uxie does, base 105 defenses are still nothing to scoff at, but it also provides some offensive presence for your team. It maintains Stealth Rock and U-turn utility for your team while giving you a more offensive response for stuff like Gallade and Sigilyph. Here's the set:

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

If you want, you can experiment a bit with the offensive moves. Psyshock can work over Psychic to beat Gallade more easily and Ice Beam works better alongside Psyshock.

Solid team and great use of Specs Typhlosion!

Absol:

Pursuit --> Fire Blast
Dread Plate --> Life Orb
Jolly/Adamant nature --> Naive nature

Uxie --> Mesprit

@EonX- When I saw your name, Mesprit was the first thing that came into my mind haha.

But once it did, it made me realize that Mesprit is basically Uxie with more offense. I'll definitely try this set since Uxie loses its niche after the beginning of the game. I'll probably try the Psyshock/Ice Beam set since that gives me a way to beat Gallade easier and also hit Lead Druddigon for super effective damage.

As for Absol, I'm not sure why I didn't even try that in the first place. Since I have two other (Typhlosion and Rotom-C) fire-type move users, I don't really need a third. I'll go ahead and change that now. Though if I do end up switching Hitmonlee, I may revert back just so I can beat Escavalier (I had to use Superpower for the first time today).

Thanks so much for the rate and I appreciate the help!

Edit: All of your suggestions have helped! Though I accidentally forgot to change the Mesprit set from Psychic/T-bolt and lost a match. Then I had a streak of losing but I'm getting the hang of it again.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)