ORAS OU Mistaken's Might (Balance) Peaked 48-7

My goal was to create the most effective team possible around one of the most effective pokémon. Simple! Charizard-x has been ranked S for as long as I can remember. Boasting great stats and a nice ability to compliment it. Along with one of the best typings possible.
The Team

Building Process (How I Think)

SSI:

NSI:

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

Looking at charizard's counters I realized that charizard pairs best w/ a pokemon that can break fatter teams because the majority of charizard x's checks are used on fatter teams not offense. The question turned into what breaker best compliments charizard, and the answer I came up with is manaphy. Manaphy pulls apart all of charizards checks, and in return charizard helps vs manaphy's checks and counters.

Weak

These were the mons that could stop charizard and manaphy (keep in mind I had not yet decided manaphys moveset). So now I knew that I wanted something that could help vs these mons. I decided the best options were...

Ferrothorn was chosen as it was the pick that seemed to compliment the other two the most. Ferrothorn had type synergy FireWaterGrass, and it checked all of the threats except for hp fire kube, hp fire latios, serperior, and venusaur. Now that I set up the best possible partner for the offensive core charizard x + manaphy, I needed to help add a backbone to this core that could help it check everyone mon in the meta without making the team too defensive and bulky. Keep in mind with charizard x a reliable way to get rid of hazards is mandatory so I really only have 2 slots that are open the 3rd slot is far more restrictive.

This core could not wall (there were others but they were either rare or not worth mentioning yet)

Best Options:

Landorus-t was selected as its scarf variant either countered or checked almost every single mon on that list. It was the an extraordinary addition. Scarf Landorus-t is always good, but it helped this team so much. It let it gain much needed speed and allow it to check many threats.

Still very weak to:

Still slightly weak:

Best Options Defensively:

Best Options Offensively:
(
instead of manaphy)
Best options for the team remover:

/

Picking clefable was hands down the toughest choice I had to make throughout making the entire team. The reason it was picked over slowbro was its ability to help vs torn, alakazam, and weavile even though it can not help as well vs keldeo. after testing slowbro is better as mega alakazam is not too common and lando still checks and most of the mons live a hit as well as slowbro being able to get regenerator.
Zapdos was chosen to help beat serp and check bisharp. Slowbro checked keldeo and metagross.

Still weak to:

This is actually what the final version of the team ended up looking like. Although zapdos and slowbro were the two options that checked the most mons you have to realize that just being able to beat every mon is not all you need to win. After testing a lot of options for the final 2 mons like clefable and latios, mandibuzz and sylveon, slowbro and mandibuzz, I realized that this team needed to have good offensive pressure just as much as it needed switch ins and one is not more important than the other. So I decided not having switch ins for serp and tornadus-t would have to do, Tornadus-t does not get any free switch ins vs my team except vs choice locked eq landorus and non boosted manaphy. The rest of the team simply kills torn. Serp is a bigger issue since it switches in on waterfall/jet azu and manaphy and p much gets a kill since landorus-t is my only real answer. Overall I believe these last 2 mons made for the most solid overall team. Even though there are still ways to improve this team, I still believe that all of these mons have numerous reasons why they were selected and why they do well for this team.

Still weak to

After RMT'ing I tested a bunch on the ladder and found out that clefable was such a good fit. Azumarill was outshining manaphy in almost every game, and with clefable I had a great answer for tornadus along with mandibuzz, and an extra ok check for lopunny along w/ landorus-t and mandibuzz. Clefable also helped put the nail in keldeos coffin, no way it is getting through chople ferro, azumarill, and clefable. Clefable further helped spread status that could help charizard get an easier sweep.

Ladder Proof

In Depth

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
The king of ou, charizard-x, Charizard x is packing a bulky spread with a dragon dance sweeping set. This team was built around beating charizard's checks and counters making it so charizard x can sweep. Charizard is the teams answer for electric types like mega manectric, raikou, and magnezone, along with ferrothorn and scarf landorus-t who can also help vs raikou and manectric. Charizard also helps the team handle charizard y since its great typing allows charizard to wall of its moves except for focus blast or the rare earthquake. Charizard is a very nice win condition that has great sweeping capabilities when rocks are not on the field. Charizard also walls mega scizor, volcarona, and victini as well as checking mega venusaur and bisharp. So overall charizard is a great pokemon that has great defensive and sweeping capabilities

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
Clefable is actually a better partner than manaphy. Clefable can help take the pressure of mega manectric off of charizard-x as well as relieving the pressure of tornadus-t off of mandibuzz, and the pressure of mega lopunny off of just landorus-t and mandibuzz. Clefable was all around the better pick as a status absorber, latios counter, and a nice twave spreader. Clefable spread allows it to help vs weavile if it dosnt get flinched and lets clefable help vs keldeo and alakazam. Clefable can also twave venusaur which makes it easier for mandibuzz and charizard to wear it down and set up on it. Clefable is in fact the best answer to what the team needed. Clefable is a great pokemon in 6th gen and is one of the best pokemon in ou. With access to a great ability and a nice movepool clefable is quite the beast.

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
Ferrothorn is the first of our two "glue" Pokemon. Ferrothorn has great typing and is able to hit water types and fairy types hard with gyro ball. Ferrothorn is the stealth rock setter and can set up leech seeds to sap back some health coupled with leftovers recovery. Ferrothorn punishes volt-turn as it resists both moves and can set up hazards to deter switches, while u-turning damages the u-turner with iron barbs. Ferrothorn helps the team handle suicune, gyarados, raikou, rain teams, as well as handling togekiss, weavile, landorus-t, latios and latias (if not packing hp fire), starmie, gardevoir (soft check), dragonite (non fire punch), dragalge, manaphy, azumarill, kyurem, mega altaria, and crawdaunt. It is very nice for one pokemon to be able to handle so many others. Ferrothorns great stats and good moves allow it keep the majority of the metagame in check.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
landorus-t is #2 in usage for ou for a good reason. Although scarf landorus-t is not as common as it was in xy it is still a very nice addition for this team as it gives it much needed speed and a ground immunity. Landorus is also immune to electric type moves and can provide momentum with u-turn. Landorus-T is running 232+ speed so it outspeeds jolly scarf drill, but can still get the slower u-turn off on opposing scarf Landorus-T's. Landorus-T helps handle hawlucha, beedrill, terrakion, talonflame, pinsir, excadrill, metagross, tyranitar, heracross, dragonite, garchomp, diggersby, and charizard x. Landorus-t can check lopunny, electric types such as magnezone, raikou, mega manectric, gyarados, mega aerodactyl, infernape, mega medicham, diancie, and opposing landorus. Overall landorus-t was a great addition that helped provide momentum and intimidate support for a team that need speed and momentum.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt/Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog
Mandibuzz is the fifth member of the team and serves as the second "glue" Pokemon holding our team together. Mandibuzz was chosen over any other Pokemon because of its special typing, access to Defog and great defensive stats. All those traits combined allow it to effectively fulfill everything this team needed. Sand teams have a difficult time breaking it between Overcoat negating Sand damage, Foul Play easily 2HKOing Excadrill. The EV spread is designed to handle all the threats this team needed extra insurance against: Defense EVs allow it to avoid the 2HKO from attacks such as Jolly Pinsir Return (most of the time), Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird, Jolly Garchomp Outrage after Stealth Rock and probably many more. There are honestly too many to list as Mandibuzz' excellent typing and defensive stats allow it to go toe to toe with almost everything that doesn't carry a STAB super-effective move. The Speed EVs allow it to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. The set is rather standard. Roost, Foul Play and Defog are staples, and for good reason: They allow Mandibuzz to do its job the most effectively by providing recovery, some offense and hazard control respectively. Taunt allows it to prevent Stealth Rock from slower Pokemon such as support Tyranitar and Heatran as well as faster leads that can't beat it such as Garchomp without Swords Dance. It also helps a lot by preventing Chansey and Mega Venusaur from healing up and Skarmory from Defogging in a stall matchup. Mandibuzz also helps as one of the only hoopa-u counters. Along with countering hooopa-unbound mandibuzz is also able to help this team vs bisharps, gengar, and mega alakazam. Mandibuzz holds the team together with its great defensive stats.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Although it was the last member added, Azumarill fills the very important roles of being a secondary Dragon check, revenge killing stuff with Aqua Jet and just generally smashing everything in its way. It also switches into Keldeo somewhat well, and even provides a back up check against powerful sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Sand Rush Excadrill. As for why I am using Choice Band Azumarill over one of the other sets, I really felt that this team would lack some much needed offensive pressure. While Assault Vest still hits decently hard and would provide us with more safety against keldeo and tornadus-t, I felt that I would lack the ability to break full stall, especially if they utilize Skarmory, Quagsire, alomomola, or amoongus, or all of them. With a Choice Band, Azumarill can just easily force its way past both of those with just a little bit of prior damage. Belly Drum is a pretty average set anyway, and it doesn't fit this team. Azumarill is a nice addition to the teams offensive firepower while still contributing to the teams defensive capabilities as it handles keldeo and weavile as well as checking many other pokemon.
Past Member
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam Rain Dance
- Scald
- Energy Ball Psychic
Manaphy acts as a balance breaker that can weaken charizard's checks. Charizard walls bulky grass and electric types that trouble manaphy, and in return manaphy walls the ground and water types that trouble charizard. Manaphy is equipped with rd psychic for venusaur. Manaphy can help beat sableye, gliscor, landorus-t, gliscor, and heatran. When manaphy gets to +3 Spa then manaphy can break rotom-w, slowbro, azumarill, and clefable along with other balanced pokemon that are slower than it. Base 100 speed tier is quite important so max speed is being used. Psychic can hit amoongus hard a long with venusaur and stall does not have anything for rd manaphy anymore besides clef. Charizard compliment each other well and both are effective verse a large amount of balanced builds.

Threat List
Serperior is a little threatening to the team, since I do not have any solid switch ins and serperior comes in on azumarill. Scarf Landorus gets free u-turns verse this and Charizard can take a dpulse and revenge kill it but serp is still quite the annoying mon. Serperior is also tanked by mandibuzz.

Metagross is frustrating to handle especially if packing ice punch. Mandibuzz and Landorus-T can both do loads of damage to metagross and live a hit, however if stealth rocks are up, metagross can 2hko mandibuzz with meteor mash, or if metagross gets the boost with meteor mash it can also become threatening. Clefable can twave metagross if it tries to switch in on it, and metagross does not appreciate switching into a banded waterfall.

Biggest Threat. In exchange for being able to handle most of the threats in the metagame better this team lost the capability to really break stall, taunt mandibuzz, charizard x, and band azumarill are the only real breakers, and all of them lose to well built stall. Charizard x cant break quagsire, azumarill can't break skarmory, and mandibuzz is walled by sableye.

Nasty Plot togekiss is a threat. Takes advantage of the fact I do not have a good flying resist. I have scarf lando-t to check it, but stone edge never hits. Charizard x can flare blitz togekiss but it will only do around 70, and if rocks are up charizard itself wont take a +2 air slash.

Closing Words
I hope you guys enjoy the team and find it fun and enjoyable to use. I am fairly satisfied with how the team turned out. I wish I could make the threat list a little smaller though. Edit: I succeeded in making the threat list smaller, but lost some breaking capabilities in the process.

Importable
blasting off again (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Meowth thats right (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Make it double (Ferrothorn) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

prepare 4 trouble (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Team Rocket (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog

Prepare to Fight (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Last edited:
Hi, cool team!

Between Ferrothorn and Azumarill, I don't think your team has much trouble with Ground types. Instead, you could try replacing Manaphy with CM Raikou. CM Raikou has excellent synergy with Mega Charizard X, with Mega Charizard X being able to lure in and weaken Ground types like Hippowdon and Landorus-T, while Raikou helps with bulky water types and also weakens Heatran for Charizard-X. This change also helps you with handling Mega Venusaur, Azumarill, Manaphy, and Keldeo, and provides you with speed control against faster teams, as well as with your threatlist of Torn-T and Keldeo.

Hope this change helps!

Hi, nice team here but i do have some suggestions for it :

First, i'd suggest to use Latios instead of Mandibuzz, why ? just because its one of the best entry hazard remover of the metagame, it have a better offensive pressure and can be used as a pursuit bait for your Charizard-X, it can also lure Heatran which is the main counter to your Charizard-X since you don't have Earthquake on it. Its also faster than many annoying threats which can be annoying for your team like Keldeo (if Azumarill get burned and if he spam Hydro Pump against Clefable for exemple but its pretty rare), Manaphy (if Azumarill is weaken and if he is using Hp Fire, Manaphy can be very annoying) and M-Medicham (it will give you an new offensive check to it).

I agree with yuruuu, you should run Raikou instead of Clefable, it will allow you to check that annoying Talonflame and to Tornadus-T for your team, it have an excellant synergy with Charizard-X since he can lure Ground types for Raikou, Raikou also forms a voltturn core with Landorus-T which is pretty good to gain the momentum.

Just use a Chople Berry on Ferrothorn, it will allow you to don't being overhelmed by wallbreakers such as M-Gardevoir, M-Alakazam and Gengar. It can also help you a little bit vs Azumarill with Superpower and to lure Keldeo.

Knock Off is defintively a better move on Landorus-T because its spammable, annoy many mon of the tier, good coverage and a better utility in general.

With both of Ferrothorn and Charizard, Serperior isn't really a problem for the team.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Hope i helped :pirate:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)