Move Misty/Electric/Grassy Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florges doesn't look like it's touching the ground to me. Maybe that's the criteria they use?
The poke still has to toch the ground to get the health boost, ill set up the terrain with flor and then test with venasaur.
These moves do seem to be complicated

These moves remind me of the pledges from last gen. Interesting, but not very useful in practice. If the effects were permanent once activated, I could see them being useful, but as they are, it really doesn't seem worth the moveslot.

These moves remind me of the pledges from last gen. Interesting, but not very useful in practice. If the effects were permanent once activated, I could see them being useful, but as they are, it really doesn't seem worth the moveslot.
In Singles maybe. But in doubles, they will be pretty good.

Misty terrain can prevent quick feet / guts / toxic boost / poison heal / rest from activating.
Hmm that's a decent boost, mainly that it stops rest and anyone using toxic orb/Poison heal/Poison Boost or FLame orb/Guts.

And are we sure no item boosts the duration of these moves? has anyone tried Light clay? or other items?

Maybe the criteria for "Grounded Pokèmon" is the same used for Sky battles?
(And,regarding Florges not getting the boost,only STAB Users?)

Also,are both effects linked to the Pokèmon's altitude or just one? (Like Zapdos firing boosted Thunders but still getting the Sleep status)

These moves, combined with the like of gravity and trick room, requires too much turns to set up in singles, game freak may have to concern extending their duration by 1-2 turn.

Or they should create abilities that instantly set up the field, may be

Btw, I definitely foresee some use of misty terrain to temporarily check draco meteor and outrages, poison block Gliscor could be interesting but may not be realistic unless it completely pauses the status.

For grass, Mega-Venesaur and Rosarade are nice candidate combined with giga drain and toxic in terms of stalling, Gogoat doesn't learn it itself so I guess the use is limited in doubles.

Ampharos gets Electric Terrain from breeding.
Has it been confirmed that happens to a sleeping Pokémon when they switch in while Electric Terrain is down? Rest might be a viable healing solution for an ET user's teammates if so.

Geta92

formerly -GetaX-
Did anyone test if Electric Terrain activates cell battery?
If this works you would pretty much have a Dragon Dance Electivire with Vital Spirit and Adaptability.

Electivire (M) @ Cell Battery
Trait: Motor Drive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Electric Terrain
- Wild Charge / Thunder Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

It's come to my attention that Electric Terrain goes well with rain ("thunderstorm" conditions), while Grassy Terrain goes well with sun ("sunny meadow" conditions). The former provides +50% full accuracy Thunder (as well as accurate Hurricane for dealing with pesky Grass and Dragon types which would otherwise resist your +50% coverage), while the latter offers +50% no-charge Solarbeam in addition to ramping up the healing effects of moves like Synthesis and rendering Hurricane highly inaccurate. Naturally this is mostly useful in doubles (the effort required to set both conditions and keep them set in singles is not going to be worth it!), but the effects could potentially be quite nasty, especially considering the existence of Drought/Drizzle.

EDIT: I also realized that Sun/Grass buffs up both Fire Pledge and Grass Pledge for doubles, which is amusing.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Nature Power is both now a TM and affected by these Terrain moves. I plan on testing this via Wi-Fi battles (if I can ever get around that since school is such a chore to me...). I'll let you know sometime! ^v^

Am I the only one who gets slightly irritated when everybody on here calls any move that even remotely deviates from the formula of "it does damage, lol" as 'gimmicky'?
I mean, I can understand that these moves aren't going to be the best competitively. That much isn't hard to infer; although in doubles some teams could gravitate towards the effect of, say, Grassy Terrain to allow a Pokemon such as Gogoat to perhaps set up more easily, these moves aren't going to be seeing much use regardless. It's true that some teams could specialize to benefit from these moves, and I am excited to see what those teams look like. But I definitely don't expect to see these moves on any random team, and much less singles teams.

Am I the only one who gets slightly irritated when everybody on here calls any move that even remotely deviates from the formula of "it does damage, lol" as 'gimmicky'?
I mean, I can understand that these moves aren't going to be the best competitively. That much isn't hard to infer; although in doubles some teams could gravitate towards the effect of, say, Grassy Terrain to allow a Pokemon such as Gogoat to perhaps set up more easily, these moves aren't going to be seeing much use regardless. It's true that some teams could specialize to benefit from these moves, and I am excited to see what those teams look like. But I definitely don't expect to see these moves on any random team, and much less singles teams.
I think the thing is that "not the best competitively" is what they're calling gimmicky. I was irritated at first too, but gimmicky basically means you're not using it for any reason other than to use it: other options would produce better competitive results, so from a purely "I'm trying to win" perspective, there's no reason to use it.

"Gimmicky" basically means that this strategy can take some players by surprise and win that way. However, in the overall perspective, there are better strategies you could be using. I don't see this taking Doubles/Triples by storm, when there are much better/safer things to do.

I think the thing is that "not the best competitively" is what they're calling gimmicky. I was irritated at first too, but gimmicky basically means you're not using it for any reason other than to use it: other options would produce better competitive results, so from a purely "I'm trying to win" perspective, there's no reason to use it.
"Gimmicky" basically means that this strategy can take some players by surprise and win that way. However, in the overall perspective, there are better strategies you could be using. I don't see this taking Doubles/Triples by storm, when there are much better/safer things to do.
Okay, I think that explains it better.

And yes, while these moves will still be rather impractical in doubles/triples/even rotation battles, I am starting to think they could, if nothing else, be fun to play around with in triples. As somebody stated earlier, combining terrain and weather could be experimented with, and in triples, a drought/drizzle Pokemon could set up weather, a second could set up the terrain, and then a third sweeper (plus maybe the weather setter) could use the boosts to shoot Thunders at the opposing team or perhaps use the Fire/Grass Pledges.
It's a shame not many people play triples, because there are a lot of things you can't do as well in singles or doubles.

I saw no topics about these moves, but I reckon they're worth discussing.

From Serebii :

Electric Terrain (Electric, Status, 10PP) : The user electrifies the ground under everyone's feet for five turns. Pokémon on the ground no longer fall asleep.

Grassy Terrain (Grass, Status, 10PP) : The user turns the ground under everyone's feet to grass for five turns. This restores the HP of Pokémon on the ground a little every turn.

Misty Terrain (Fairy, Status 10PP) : The user covers the ground under everyone's feet with mist for five turns. This protects Pokémon on the ground from status conditions.

Grassy Terrain seems to be the most useful of the three, could be a great support-move to carry on stall team for that added recovery. That said there are hidden effects, for instant Misty Terrain supposedly reduce damage from Dragon-Type attacks for it's whole duration (according to a NPC anyway, I couldn't test it).

Thoughts?
I have only had the chance to use Grassy Terrain with Floette (learned at level 27). I noticed it nullifies sandstorms damage each turn, which is 1/16 of the users health approx. It's safe to say that grassy terrain heals 1/16 of the users health which can be substantial when coupled with other healing powers like leech seed, giga drain, left overs, etc. I've used the move only in casual gameplay and it has helped me stall out my opponent revive vital health to my main swinger and make a comeback. I didn't notice the power of any of my grasss type moves increase when battling but I could be mistaken. As far as competitive play I think it will add a fun tool to stall teams but overall I don't know if it's enough to really define the battle. Overall it's been a fun move to play and stall heal, especially when combined with leach seed and wish.

I have only had the chance to use Grassy Terrain with Floette (learned at level 27). I noticed it nullifies sandstorms damage each turn, which is 1/16 of the users health approx. It's safe to say that grassy terrain heals 1/16 of the users health which can be substantial when coupled with other healing powers like leech seed, giga drain, left overs, etc. I've used the move only in casual gameplay and it has helped me stall out my opponent revive vital health to my main swinger and make a comeback. I didn't notice the power of any of my grasss type moves increase when battling but I could be mistaken. As far as competitive play I think it will add a fun tool to stall teams but overall I don't know if it's enough to really define the battle. Overall it's been a fun move to play and stall heal, especially when combined with leach seed and wish.
Grassy Terrain heals the opponent too unless they are Flying/Levitating.

It's not something you want to give to a Mega Kangaskhan, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)