VGC Mixed Anti-Trickroom Team

Okay, so this is my team (I know it's series 8, and restricted mons are allowed. I tried a few like Dusk Mane and Zygarde, they haven't worked out better than the mons I have now.)

Coalossal @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Steam Engine
Level: 50
EVs: 120 Def / 138 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Body Press
- Flamethrower
- Rock Slide
- Protect
Coalossal's role is a sweeper and a sort-of anti fire mon. It's coverage is suprisingly good, and steam engine paired with some of my other mons can be really helpful. Body Press is a good attack coming off of my higher defense while staying physical, ensuring that special walls don't hard wall me.

Rillaboom @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 100 HP / 150 Atk / 160 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Snarl
- Grassy Glide
- Taunt
The main purpose of Rillaboom is that of a support mon. Grassy surge helps a lot of my mons with their ground weaknesses (Like Coalossal and Heatran) and grass coverage is really nice. Top that off with Snarl and Fake out and Rillaboom enables a lot of my mons.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 SpD
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head
- Protect
Corviknight's role is mainly as an Anti-Intimidate mon and also a tailwind setter. I opted for Tailwind as my main form of speed control because I found that it helps me more than my opponent 7 times out of 10. Iron head is useful stab against fairies and is overall more effective than body press. Brave Bird is strong and provides a beefy Max Airstream if needed.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 250 Def / 160 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Scorching Sands
- Protect
Heatran's role is the most interesting in my team barring 1 mon. Lava Plume synergizes well with Coalossal and provides good damage when dynamaxed. Flash cannon is always good for steel coverage, and Scorching Sands is a good alternative to Earth Power, also providing ground coverage.

Tapu Fini @ Mystic Water
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 60 HP / 120 Def / 230 SpA / 100 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Scald
Okay, you can clearly see that this Tapu Fini is unique, and I'll explain why it is. First, Telepathy allows me to spam spread moves like Lava Plume without fear of a burn (damage is minuscule). Surf can be used to activate Steam Engine, and Scald can be used as a crippling pseudo-support move due to the burn rate. Haze is definitely the most weird thing about this set. There are a lot of teams that can just set up in my face, and minimize chansey would hardwall this team without it. Also Haze in inadvertently counters moves like Eerie Impulse from shutting down sweeps. Combine that with max moves being jank and Haze is an important tool in the long run.

Mimikyu @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 200 HP / 148 Def / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Pain Split
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
This is the weird mon I was referring to. The reason Mimikyu is weird is because it isn't really ever used. I primarily utilize it as an Anti-Trickroom mon that scares the opponent in Preview. They'd see this Mimikyu, look at the rest of the team, think I'm running hard trick room, and boom, Corviknight tailwind lead. Mimikyu can also safely set up Trick Room against a tailwind or Icy Wind team.

I'm still looking for ways to improve this team, like maybe searching for a restricted mon that can replace Mimikyu while also being good outside of Trick Room, like maybe dialga. Any criticism is nice, and I will be taking them into consideration while teambuilding.

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, this is gonna be a long one.
First of all let’s analyze your team, it is certainly really studied and has lots of good ideas in it, but most of them are too niche to shine in this kind of metagame. This team lacks strong damage dealers and gets absolutely wiped out by Sun teams because of his slowness.
We need 3 things to make this team better:
1: more damage output
2: faster method to trigger weakness policy and steam engine
3: a restricted that scares away some mons that might give you trouble
I’ll try to fix your worst matchups as much as I can.
But before mentioning building issues, I’ll spend some words on your coalossal set, all your sets are creative and I can see what you want them to do, but you also have to understand that they don’t do their job in the best possible way.

:Coalossal:
This big guy is a huge wincon, and if your opponent doesn’t have counterplay against it you win easily.
Your set is cool but coalossal being a dynamax machine means that you can’t afford to use him mixed and have to focus on either special or physical attacks.
my changes to this set would be:

(physical set)
Evs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 12 SpD / 84 Spe
Nature: Adamant
So, 84 speed make sure you surpass Calyrex ghost when triggered, 124 Atk with adamant nature
are needed to keep your offensive presence, the other evs can be distributed depending on what you want to endure.
Moves
Fire punch over Flamethrower, to simply hit harder on a physical set
I’d prefer high horsepower over body press to gain the SpD boost and not having a low bp move when dynamaxed.

(Special set)
Evs: 252 HP / 172 SpA / 84 Spe
Nature: Modest
Coalossal’s special special sets are more of the same thing as physical sets but with special evs so I’m not gonna explain any further.
Moves
Ancient power over rock slide to hit harder as well as solar beam over body press for the good coverage.

Now that we mentioned the big guy, let’s talk about the others.

:rillaboom:
Your rillaboom is quite strange but I find it interesting, I’ll just say that you might need wood hammer over snarl for extra damage and knock off over taunt but those are player’s choices.

:corviknight:
I suggest to drop this one, too passive for this hyper offensive meta and gets destroyed by regieleki and thundurus. Maybe add tornadus or whimsicott if you need tailwind support, I really can’t see any utility in corviknight at the moment, even the anti intimidate effect is worthless if you go for a special coalossal.

:heatran:
is pretty much ok, maybe adjust the spreads to your changes in the future and use heat wave over lava plume in order to not hit your rillaboom and earth power over scorching sands since you’ll need that higher base power.

:Tapu Fini:
This Tapu Fini si pretty much useless in this meta, while haze is really valuable, neither having calm mind nor protect makes it extremely frail and weak against restricteds. I’d suggest a suicune (that also has the tailwind you said to need) or a Gmax lapras to put up aurora veil when you don’t bring Coalossal.

:mimikyu:
Zacian-C is a really good mon in this team if you apply previous changes, so in my opinion it takes Mimikyu’s place.

Let’s work on a strategy to trigger your coalossal’s weakness policy, we’ll drop corviknight in order to trigger it quickly.
The first method is Aqua Jet Urshifu-R but it’s not really consistent and loses by fake out+Supereffective attack.
The second method is Surf Dragapult, a way more fitting mon in my opinion that also provides ally switch and helping hand. But it loses against faster mons like Shadow rider and Zacian-C.
Choice is yours.

Well, hope you enjoyed the reading, I know I made a lot of changes but the current meta is way stricter than before. Feel free to disagree with my opinions and we’ll discuss that together

Last edited:
I really like most of the ideas given here, but I feel like I should probably explain a few key things.
1. Coalossal should have definitely had Ancient Power, this is a special set. :coalossal:
2. Suicune is definitely something I will consider adding to this team. :suicune:
3. The main point of Corv was not just tailwind support. I might change Coalossal to be physical, but if I keep it, corv is my only physical attacker. Top that off with very useful flying coverage and max airstream, and it supports my team even without tailwind.(Also Mirror Armor helps because Intimidate gets put back onto most Physical Attackers like incin) :Corviknight:
4. I personally don't see how Zacian can benefit this team. I'm not saying it can't, just from what I've seen it's speed is too much to effectively serve Mimikyu's role. :Mimikyu:
5. Tapu Fini is my only fairy coverage, and is actually fairly effective from what I've played. Given, it doesn't have some staple things, and I might slot in protect instead of surf at one point to see if it works (But not calm mind, it's counter intuitive) :Tapu Fini:
6: I legitimately didn't see Earth Power in teambuilder on Heatran ;-; :Heatran:
Everything I haven't really covered I either agree with or don't think it's worth mentioning due to you saying it's player choice. However, I will try out other restricted mons. I feel like dialga might actually work better than mimikyu or maybe even dusclops if I'm feeling weird that day. You have actually shown me things that I overlooked, like heatran not having earth power, or specing Coalossal to physical, thanks for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)