MLB 2013 Season Thread

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I just realised Fielders contract has 7 years @ 24m a year on it. Fuk...from a baseball perspective I don't mind the trade but having Fielder till 36 isn't ideal. Left handed power hitter in Texas should be good for +40 HR though :-)

from an actual movement of value the trade isn't as much of a ripoff as people think. I think Texas comes out okay especially based on what they were looking for. The biggest problem is obviously the backend but at least they got some compensation. The real winner is Detroit's ability to have financial freedom, especially when Fielder was a bit expendable with Martinez and Cabrera

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Stallion it's more like 7 years @ 20 million if you count the 30 million the Rangers got back. That's actually below market price for a player of Fielder's caliber (perennial All-Star and 4-5 WAR).

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stallion it's more like 7 years @ 20 million if you count the 30 million the Rangers got back. That's actually below market price for a player of Fielder's caliber (perennial All-Star and 4-5 WAR).
Prince has exceeded 5 war once in his career and has had 3 years sub 2... hes an impressive 12.8 war and 3.8 wins above average over his last 4 years combined... a very slightly above average player is not worth that kind of money (yes theres the 6 million = a win number, but practically speaking the price of a win on the free agent market is roughly 4-5 for short term deals and 3-4 for long term deals...). Regardless of this even if you go full out positive for the rangers and say he has none of his bad years. he's a roughly 4 and a half win player for a couple years, trailing off until hes maybe a 2-3 win player by the end of the deal? at best 3.5 win/year seems the absolute maximum, and 20 million for 3.5 wins is a lot

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would've liked McCann....aside from that one year of Napoli we haven't had an awesome catcher since Pudge. How much was the contract? I bet the Yankees forked out +100millon, which would make me feel better

If it was any other team I'd just write off a 37 year-old guy who costs you a draft pick but I feel like the Yankees will make the Dodgers payroll look like the Marlins once they stop dicking around this 189 thing.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the problem with the angels is at least as much the gm as scioscia, much as he's a pretty bad manager as well.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
the problem with the angels is at least as much the gm as scioscia, much as he's a pretty bad manager as well.
pretty sure they have bigger problems than scioscia... like having two of the top five worst contracts in baseball along with an abhorrent pitching staff.

in other news the twinkies got nolasco, kinda cute i guess

I would defend the Pujols deal in terms of it paying itself back in the short term (fans were super happy before he started playing for them + TV money) and the Hamilton deal in a vacuum wasn't terrible, but man if you're signing Joe Blanton to a guaranteed rotation spot sign Hunter instead, rush a minor leager to RF, do whatever you gotta do to fix that.

Current in baseball: Tigers make a legitimately stupid move by any measure, trade pitcher who has been at least a top 15 pitcher over past 3 years for marginal return value. Curious fan of Blue Jays moi wonders where the hell his team was on a deal like this.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Current in baseball: Tigers make a legitimately stupid move by any measure, trade pitcher who has been at least a top 15 pitcher over past 3 years for marginal return value. Curious fan of Blue Jays moi wonders where the hell his team was on a deal like this.
more like where were any of the other 28 teams? awful deal for the tigers

Nats have a great staff on paper heading into next season. Fister was solid in the AL and should only benefit playing in the NL. Nice grab for the Nats giving up very little.

For the Tigers, could they be freeing up payroll for a big move?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
well shit the one day i'm not really at my computer everyone goes on a trade spree...

but holy fuck did the A's make out like bandits with the Gentry / Gregerson / Johnson deals.

Stallion

Tree Young
Hahaha Ellsbury pulls a Bambino. And what a terrible contract for a player whose value is tied to his speed. And the Yankees reportedly wouldnt top 175m for Cano, still can't get over how stupid this is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)