ORAS UU Monkeys and Bats and Ducks (Oh My)

Monkeys and Bats and Ducks (Oh My)

Intro

Hey! Gravioli here, it's been a while since I've posted one of these, and this is only even my third RMT. Anyways, I was derping around in UU, when I discovered the sheer power that is choice specs adaptability Porygon Z. I paired up two more pokémon that I thought would work well as an offensive core, put in a suicide lead and bulky support, and then added UU's obligatory scarfed Darmanitan (Seriously, though, I've seen one of these things on literally every match I've fought!) I expected it to crash and burn like the majority of the other teams I've created, but a few matches on the UU ladder and I discovered that this team actually seemed to work! I've finally picked out one of the few gems from all of the piles of crap that are my PS teams. Anyways, although I like this team, it can always get better, and for that reason, I'm putting it up here, for the world of smogon to critique and construct upon my team. Anyways, I'm starting to ramble, lets get to the point.

Process

I started off with this little beastly duck, gave it some glasses and let it smash a hole in many teams. 'Nuff said.

It needed some support though, often getting ohkoed by super effective, boosted and powerful neutral effective moves. I needed a reliable switch in, one who would remain untouched by fighting type moves and who could dish out some serious pain. I went with Crobat, who 4x resists fighting and can switch in on even the most powerful close combats, High jump kicks and focus blasts. With a choice band, it can also bring in the pain with a stab brave bird.

I also needed a way to hurt rock and steel types, due to Porygon-Z's lack of coverage for them. I went with a strong, mixed infernape sets who can beat physical walls with overheat and special walls with Flare Blitz and CC. Plus, handy priority in mach punch.

Next, my favourite suicide lead joined the crew. Packing massive speed, taunt, stealth rock and an insanely strong explosion, Azelf was a surefire member of my new team.

Support is important, no question. WoW and T-wave seriously threaten my team, and aromatherapy nicely put a stopper on them. Plus, Florges' high hp partnered with wish can make for nice team healing.

A scarfed darmanitan outspeeds nearly anything but itself, making a nice revenge killer or late game sweeper, so I gave it the last slot on my team without hesitation.

Sets

Porygon-Z

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

With Adaptability, specs and 252 SpA Evs, this thing hits like a truck with tri-attack. Shadow Ball is used over dark pulse for coverage on ghosts as it can hit fighting and fairy types for higher damage, in the case of being locked in or needing to hit Lucario or Coballion. Trick is to give a supportive pokémon your specs and completely screw them over, and Thunderbolt is just added coverage.

Crobat

Crobat @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Cross Poison
- Defog
- U-turn

Another strongly offensive choice item pokémon? Yeah, these guys work will together, with crobat able to switch in on fighting moves and dish out some real pain with brave bird. U-turn is to add momentum and to pivot out, cross poison is a nice secondary stab, and defog is this team's hazard removal. The only problem with it is that you need to switch out afterwards.

Infernape

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat

A mixed life orb attacker, Infernape can dish out louds of pain with overheat, on common physically defensive steel types such as Mega Aggron. He doesn't mind the SpA drop, as afterwards, he can start hitting physically with priority, and two powerful stab attacks. At first, I thought about running grass knot, but all of my moves help me out too much to get rid of. If only pokémons could learn five moves.

Florges

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Toxic

Poor Florges, it's the least important member of my team. That being said, it's still quite useful. Florges can switch into many resisted and/or special moves, and can toxic poison the enemy, heal paralysis, burns, toxics and even sleeps throughout the team and also dish out okay damage with moonblast, all the while healing up itself and it's team with wishes.

Azelf

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Explosion

A very typical suicide lead set, built to set up rocks, possibly prevent opposing rocks from being set and maybe even take out a pokémon with it's hard hitting explosion. It has knock off too get rid of an item that I foresee causing problems, or punish ghost type switch ins on the explosion. It can't hit rock and steel types very well, but it does it's job.

Darmanitan

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Just your average scarfed Darmanitan, this guy hits extraordinarily hard, reaches an insane 475 speed and can revenge kill and late game sweep. Flare Blitz is used for the main stab attack. Superpower for a risky coverage move, not to be used too frequently but very powerful when it is used, Rock slide for a surprisingly powerful coverage move, when boosted by sheer force, and U-turn for pivots and revenge kills.

Weaknesses

The team is anything but perfect, and there are a few counters who can mostly destroy my team. There are three main ones who I'm always scared of when I see my team preview.

M-Beedrill

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability:Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run/Knock Off
- U-Turn
- Protect

This monster can outspeed most of my team and ko it to hell. If it's a lead or gets switched in at the beginning, Azelf's explosion can deal with it. If it gets past that, however, often I'll need to sac off a near dead team member or Florges to get a free switch into Darmanitan, who can outspeed and OHKO with flare blitz or rock slide, depending on the situation. Tri-Attack from Porygon-Z ohkoes, but it gets 2HKOed by poison jab or U-turn. This would be less of a problem if not for U-turn switching it out. Crobat is only possibly 2HKOed by Knock Off, which makes it a viable check with Brave Bird. It can still be a very dangerous monster to deal with, and Darmanitan is the only one who can reliably beat it.

Feraligatr

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability:Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD /252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch/Dragon Dance

My team has two frail fire types, no grass types, no electric types and only one super effective move against water types. Normally this isn't a problem, as I don't have many difficulties with other water types such as Suicune, I have less troubles with DDance variants, but they can still really intimidate my team if I don't dispose of them fast.

M-Aggron

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability:Filter
EVs: 252 Hp / 16 Def / 240 SpDef
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

This guy isn't so much a threat, as much as a pain in the ass for my Azelf to deal with. It resists Earthquake and Knock Off does literally nothing, leaving Azelf to taunt, set up it's own rocks and then destroy itself for nothing. It's a pain, but infernape has a 43% chance to OHKO with overheat, and if it doesn't earthquake the ape in return, it can strike back and strike back with literally anything. Slight details change depending on the variants, but Infernape can still certainly deal with this one.

Conclusion

So, that was my team. If it was any good, let me know. If it was garbage, let me know. Just make sure to let me know how it was and how I can improve it. I'm still somewhat new to the competitive scene and am always looking for ways to get better. Thanks! Also, if you're wondering why I use the BW sprites, I just think that they look nice. (Plus, when actually playing on PS, it doesn't lag my computer and phone as much.)

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there nice team you have there. Here's a few changes I'd like to suggest:
  • I understand Choice Band Crobat hits hard, but your team needs to check Fighting-types as well as Mega Beedril which can just U-Turn on Crobat and weaken it without Crobat ever healing. Therefore, Black Sludge Crobat over Choice Band is optimal because it can switch into Beedrill and can heal off the damage while still hitting hard with Brave Bird. It also makes removing hazards easier for you since you don't need to switch into hazards, remove it and then be a fodder.
  • Infernape doesn't seem like it will do much since it lures Chandelure 90% of the time and your team does not have anything for Chandelure as well. Your team also appreciates to be able to revenge kill Feraligatr after a Dragon Dance boost. On the other hand, your team still appreciates having a hard hitting Fighting-type Pokemon to deal with Curse Snorlax. Therefore, the best option is to run Choice Scarf Mienshao over Infernape because it gives you nice speed control and gives safe switches to the teammates since Mienshao forces a lot of switches. It also has Knock Off, so Chandelure doesn't usually want to switch into it. High Jump Kick is a good spammy move too and can hit a number of Pokemon very hard.
  • I don't see why you have a Florges on a HO team, it loses momentum which is very important for a HO team. On the other hand, I do realize you are weak to Hydreigon and setup sweepers in general, especially since Florges is a setup fodder for Slurpuff. Also, the Florges set cannot check Dragon Dance Salamence and it can be very dangerous against your team if it can setup on the Crobat locked in Defog. Therefore, the ideal option is to run Whimsicott over Florges since it can stop setup sweepers, check Suicune, as well as check Salamence and Hydreigon, while not losing any sort of momentum for your team.
  • As for Darmanitan, I understand it hits very hard, but it also dies too quickly and is very frail. Your team also appreciates a strong priority move while still hitting very hard, and having a better bulk than Darmanitan. So, Entei over Darmanitan is the optimal choice since it can spread burns with Sacred Fire, have a nice priority in Extremespeed and Stone Edge can hit Chandelure which occasionally switches into Entei.
Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Giga Drain

Hope I helped :toast:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty interesting Fire spam HO team you have here, though I would change a few things to make it better.

First off, I'm not sure what the deal is with that Infernape set, but it's not looking too optimal with just dual STAB and no coverage, I'd strongly recommend making it the standard mixed set with Grass Knot and Earthquake. The reason I picked these two coverage moves in particular is because it helps Infernape lure in and beat your other Fire type's (whether you choose to heed Arifeen's suggestion of Entei over Darm or not) biggest checks, including that one chandelier like Pokemon that currently gets a ton of free switches on this team and gets a kill every time its inside. as well as the occasional Arcanine which can be pretty annoying to deal with. Nobody really sees EQ Ape coming and suddenly their Sacred Fire/Flare Blitz check is gone, meanwhile GK lures in and eliminates Suicune which is really a blessing for your team considering how easily it switches in and spams Scald on your team.
While I do like Arifeen's suggestion of Scarf Mienshao to strengthen the matchup vs offense and Mega Aero in particular, I feel like it takes away from the main archetype behind the team, which is Fire Spam, and it doesn't really address your Suicune problem (Porygon-Z only goes so far against a well-played Cune that isn't overzealous in trying to set up).

I agree with Arifeen that I do not think Florges really has a place on such an offensive team, and that CB Crobat is pretty unnecessary.
I also notice you don't have a Mega Pokemon and as I mentioned before you're extremely weak to Mega Aerodactyl.

Perhaps something you could do is replace Crobat and Florges entirely and instead add Whimsicott like Arifeen suggested as your main emergency check to other offensive teams (Feraligatr is mentioned as a huge weakness on this team), however I would make it a bit more defensive with Stun Spore to better check the offensive threats you're weak to (Stun Spore mainly being a last ditch effort against Aero and other fast offensive threats like Beedrill), as well as having a slower U-turn for momentum, and lastly I'd like to suggest fighting fire with fire by adding Mega Aerodactyl as a possible alternative to your Crobat.

While you can certainly stick with Arifeen's suggestion of Black Sludge Crobat as your Defogger/Mega Bee check and be set, Mega Aerodactyl isn't as afraid of Beedrill's Knock Off as Crobat, can at least tie with other Aerodactyl, and has other notable pros such as benefiting more from mixed Infernape's support, actually outspeeding Mega Bee and also Scarfed Chandelure, Scarfed Gardevoir, +1 Gatr, and Mega Sceptile.
In addition, Aerodactyl effectively handles what I like to call the rise of UU's fat BO fliers (Salamence, Zapdos, Crobat, and Mandibuzz, all annoying to deal with), weakens bulky Grounds like Gligar and Donphan with Aqua Tail, and deals with other Fire types like Rotom-H, opposing Entei, and the occasional Moltres that may act as soft checks to your Fire spam core and are annoying to your team in general, as well as simply applying more offensive pressure overall than Crobat and strengthening your match-up versus other offensive teams that much more.

Sets:
Infernape @ Life Orb
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty or Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Grass Knot
- Overheat

88 SAtk Evs allow you to 2HKO Suicune with GK after Rocks, the nature doesn't really matter since Ape is frail either way, but Naive I guess lets you take physical priority like Sucker Punch better, so I'd go with that.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Tail / Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Defog
- Roost / Wing Attack

The moves are up to your preference here honestly, since this is HO you may not find Roost as valuable and instead opt for an accurate hit on Beedrill and actually being able to hit Fighting types. Wing Attack > Aerial Ace for more PP.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Stun Spore
- U-turn

tl:dr
GK and EQ MixApe > your Ape
Defensive Whimsicott > Florges
Mega Aerodactyl > Banded Crobat

Thats all I have for you, hope I helped.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
At first glance this seemed like an offense team with a random Florges slapped onto it, and honestly, that's how this team pretty much is but I see some defensive potential for a bulkier team although based on the current 'mons you have, I don't think trying to transition into that is optimal so I'll just try to optimize some of the sets and attempt to make the team weaker to a few things, including those on your threatlist.
  • First up, I think we should address the elephant in the room. Having Whimsicott > Florges helps against Feraligatr and Water-types in general while also giving you another U-turn user for momentum while retaining your Fairy-type. Florges kills momentum, making it a very bad choice on hyper offensive teams.
  • I suggest having Nasty Plot Infernape > current set, as having mono-dual STAB for both specially and physically offensive seems completely unnecessary and your team currently lacks a win condition, which is pretty mandatory on any offensive team so this fits perfectly.
  • I also suggest going Sky Plate Crobat > current set, as this allows you to switch-up moves and have Roost, making it better suited to deal with Beedrill while Sky Plate makes up for the loss of Choice Band power-wise.
  • Mega Swampert > Darmanitan seems like a good option here, as it gives you a Ground-type to be able to have a slightly easier time against VoltTurn teams while also making you slightly less weak against Aerodactyl and Entei
Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain / Stun Spore

Pretty standard Whimsicott set, although the last slot is completely optional. I prefer having Energy Ball / Giga Drain to be able to deal with the likes of Suicune better but Stun Spore is also an option to be able to deal with the likes of Mega Beedrill better. Energy Ball provides nice power for the likes of Mamoswine and Feraligatr when necessary but Giga Drain gives Whimsicott more longevity so if you were to choose between the two it's your choice there too.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot / Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave

Pretty standard NP Ape. Grass Knot allows you to hit most Water-types for super effective damage, especially Slowking and Jellicent, which Focus Blast can't hit while Focus Blast is a nice and powerful STAB attack that allows you to break through the likes of Snorlax, Blissey, etc while also dealing with most Water-types that don't resist the STAB combination. Your choice.

Crobat @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Taunt / Pursuit

I don't have Defog here because having a suicide lead + Defog is very counterproductive and you should be more focused on preventing hazards from happening with Azelf anyhow. Cross Poison's a pretty mediocre option considering it only hits Pokemon hit by 4x damage harder than Brave Bird and is a waste of a slot. Roost gives recovery so Crobat has more longevity to deal with the threats you need it to deal with; Beedrill, Fighting-types. Taunt allows Crobat to help out against more defensively inclined playstyles while also preventing hazards and status, so that's nice although you could run Pursuit to be able to smack Beedrill on the switch if you feel that's better.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Power-Up Punch
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance

I chose a PuP MegaPert set here because being able to hit Grass-types for s/e damage didn't seem to big of a deal to me considering you have a Crobat and being able to boost to where you can deal massive damage to about anything seemed to complement the rest of the team well.

Reactions: nv
Hey! Just woke up a little while ago and it's nice to see so many suggestions. First, the Infernape switch is definitely for the better. I honestly don't know what I was doing with flare blitz on it, and though it appreciates mach punch on weakened scarf users, max speed heliolisk and others, the coverage does prevent chandelure from absolutely destroying my team. Second, the mega aero choice is hard, as fighting type moves hit it for decent damage, limiting the switch ins on fighting moves, but I've decided to make the switch, as it is an all around better pokemon. As for switching out darmanitan, that's something I'm not quite ready to do, as darmanitan has saved too many clutch games to count. As for whimsicott, this is where things get complicated. I agree with Kreme's comment that Florges makes zero sense, and by the time I read this, I had already replaced it, but for doublade. I thought that a SD pursuit doublade could counter mega beedrill properly, and while I haven't met a mega beedrill since the addition, I'm beginning to detect that it won't do as good a job as I'd hoped, especially against knock off variants. I thought about running an acro fletchinder, but the whimsicott set sounds pretty good too, although it sure as hell can't stand up to one of mega beedrill's poison jabs (it literally does around 200% damage). I think the downsides of fletchinder are: Nearly no support on the whole team, further emphasizes my weakness to rock, damn frail. And the downsides of whimsicott are: Mega beedrill is still a bitch to nearly everything, less coverage and power. It'll take a while for me to decide, but if anybody has any ideas as to why one would definitively be superior, shoot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)