Other Metagames [Monotype] A Mega Aggron Mono Rock (Peaked 1768 #4)

Hey all! Bitana here, more commonly known as Phoenix Bit, here to RMT the team I used in the LTLC Ladder Challenge :D. Most people who know me know that I am a Rock main, and that I really enjoy playing the type, despite it's disadvantages. The truth is, during the teambuilding of this team, I thought: "Hmm. How can I make the most water-weak Rock team imaginable..."

The sets:

Fairy Killer (Aggron) (F) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Curse/Fire Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Since the initial idea was to be as Water-Weak as possible, my mega of choice is Aggron!
While many consider it to be inferior to Mega Diancie, I've always thought that this thing has a niche in that it provides rock with a Scizor check that is NOT also the only scarf heracross AND Mega Pinsir check! (In Mega Diancie teams, the check to all three of these Pokemon is just Rhyperior)

As for the set, Heavy Slam is STAB which, with the EV investment in attack, has a good chance to OHKO Mega Medicham after rocks (That is, after it takes you down to 17% from HJK). Alongside this, the choice between Fire Punch and Curse depends on whether you want to lose to Mega Scizor carrying Superpower, or have a harder time against Snarl Mega Sableye variants. (Curse also helps in that, if you curse up as Mega Gallade SD's, on the next turn, you OHKO it.)

Steel Killer (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor/Iron Head/Quick Attack

Terrakion is this team's main wallbreaker and revenge killer. As the name would suggest, it is one of this team's best options for the Steel MU. STAB banded Close Combat has a good chance of 2HKOing Skarmory, and it will always do so if rocks are up. Along with this, Stone edge can do around 47% to skarmory, 2HKOing it if it is not running Lefties. I, personally, find EQ to be essential in having a chance against Doublade steel, while also hitting Aegislash. As for the other moves, X-Scissor allows you to 2HKO Slowbro if rocks are up, Iron head gives aditional support for vs Fairy, and QA can be nice priority to revenge kill weakened Azumarill, or other low HP mons. (Zen Headbutt is also an option, but it ONLY hits Mega Venusaur)

Ground Killer (Omastar) (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Air Balloon Omastar is my absolute favorite set for Rock. While some may consider it niche, or inferior to sash, I find that the ability to setup on Choice locked Excadrill on ground, or setup at ALL if rocks are up, to be invaluable. The moveset is fairly self explanatory, with Surf for the main safe STAB, Ice beam for coverage and HP grass for Seimitoed and Gastrodon. (Earth Power is an additional option if you really wanna hit Empoleon and Toxicroak for some reason)

An additional note on Omastar: It is the team's ONLY special attacker, meaning that it must be played with carefully. If the opponent is using Mega Sableye, leading Omastar and smashing up is generally the team's best way to deal with it, as they will either try and burn or CM. You then get a free Surf of, which should do around 50%. Then predict CM and surf again, or Recover and Smash up one more time.

Fighting Killer (Rhyperior) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

This is one amazing Pokemon. It WILL put in work in every battle you have, unless you're playing water.
WP Rhyperior is, in my opinion, the best set Rock can use. While some may say that Leftovers or even Custap berry might be better, I believe the power brought by WP is something you can't pass up. Being able to OHKO Mega Gallade after it drain punches, or OHKO Mega Medicham after HJK is something Rock cannot pass up. (EQ is even able to 2HKO slowbro after your WP is activated)
I run Max Hp, Max Defense Impish to allow me to almost always survive Mega Medicham's HJ, even after rocks.

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 348-411 (80.1 - 94.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Psychic Killer (Tyranitar) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 120 HP / 64 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dark Pulse/Ice Beam/Pursuit
- Flamethrower

Tyranitar is one of those Pokemon that Rock relies on constantly. It is one of the best Pokemon Rock gets, aside from arguably Terrakion, and because of that it has to do a lot of jobs for Rock. On this team, that job is being a Sp. Def tank. The spread I use is customized to fit the moves I'm using.

First of all, a Sassy nature with 120 HP EVs and 252 Sp. Def EVs allow Tyranitar to survive Landorus-I's Focus Blast (Shoutouts to Sirskit for that). Alongside this, 72 Sp. atk allows Tyranitar to 2HKO standard defensive Skarmory with flamethrower 100% of the time. Along with this, it OHKOs Landorus-I with Ice beam, and also 2HKO's Slowbro with Dark Pulse. The rest of the EVs are placed into attack to give Crunch and Stone edge some power.

Ultimate Weapon (Shuckle) (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Knock Off

My lead almost 100% of the time, except maybe when I'm facing Water, in which case I should be clicking X. This Pokemon's job is almost always setting up Sticky Webs so that Terrakion can actually act as a revenge killer instead of just a wallbreaker. Webs also facilitate an eventual Omastar sweep, which is always nice. Stealth Rocks is self-explanatory (Click it vs Flying!). Encore is necessary so as to prevent people from setting up on Shuckle instantly, and Knock off is there because it's the second best move in the game.

Shuckle's running Max Physical Defense because if I need it to tank some Sp. def hits, generally Tyranitar can ensure sand is up, which increases it's sp. def by 1.5x.
It also allows Shuckle to always live Mega Medi's HJK after Fake out.
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 150-177 (61.7 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Threatlist:

This is a long one. This is ROCK after all.
Have fun vs this thing. The ONLY reason you might want to consider X-Scissor Terrak and Dark Pulse T-tar is how horrible the matchup vs this is if you don't. You do NOT have a Scald switch in!
If you see this in Water, save yourself the time and click X.

Fun fact, I lied. You DO have a chance vs a water variant, mostly SS Water. If you manage to predict PERFECTLY with Terrakion, they do not have any switch in to it, so you get to spam CC. Still a super hard matchup though, but you can at least give it a shot if you have time.

As would be a expected of a team without Mega Diancie, Fighting can be a bit of an issue. Particularly if you're unlucky and they have SD breloom. Basically, your spore switch in is Aggron, if they mach as you switch it in you lose. The good news is, if you don't get unlucky with heavy slam and curse, the matchup is certainly doable. Just remember Keldeo is a bitch and your way of dealing with it is having webs up to OHKO it with Terrakion's CC.

This thing. I hate it. I hate it beyond belief. This team's only way of dealing with a DD Mega Gyarados is Curse Mega Aggron. You have to curse up alongside it as it DDs, which normally would not be a problem, except for the fact that these things can run Taunt, meaning you lose, gg. Even IF it's not running Taunt, if it happens to Crunch Defense Drop, Waterfall Flinch or god forbid CRIT your Aggron, you lose, gg. If you don't have Curse, your only hope will be to double into Terrakion every time this comes in and guess right between Stone edge and CC.

I find it hilarious how despite how much I tried to prepare for Steel, I can EASILY still lose to it! Superpower Mega Scizor is one bitch and a half, if you don't have Fire Punch you lost turn 1. Excadrill is a annoying to deal with if it predicts between EQ and Iron Head correctly, and Bisharp almost prevents you from setting up webs. The good news is that if they don't have doublade, Terrakion runs through their team, and you at least get two checks to all their physical threats, instead of being worn down by hazards. Still won't be easy though.

I would continue, but Rock's weak to everything so I don't see the point :P

Replays:

I didn't save many replays during my LTLC challenge sadly, but you'll at least get to see the team in action with some other ones I have 0_0;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-317958593 Vs. Water (Not a good one)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/origin-monotype-135286 Vs. Ground
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-315217455 Vs. Ice (Poor ice .-.)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/origin-monotype-117559 Vs. Steel
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/origin-monotype-112034 Vs. Psychic
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/origin-monotype-96322 Vs. Fighting
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/origin-monotype-91818 Vs. Dark (Hax = Ez win)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-302784608 Vs. Dragon

Well, hope you liked my take on Rock. I'd gladly accept any suggestions to improve! :D
(Sorry if I made scrub RMT mistakes, I sack at these ;-;)

Last edited:
Hey dude, grats on peaking the highest in LTLC for rock! I'll update the site as soon as I get the chance! (Btw, even though the contest is over, you can still ladder with you're ltlc alt, since it's already sitting high. Gives you more bragging rights to put on here ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)