Side Monotype BLT IV - Finals (Won by the Snowpoint Staravias)

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Last edited:

Kev

Part of the journey is the end
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Predictions since its finals:

Slateport Scorpions (2) vs Snowpoint Staravias (4)
SS: Fylkir Pudin vs Floss - Ssnls champ vs gens champ which should be a pretty interesting matchup. They also have the exact same record in the tour so far. Giving the edge to Floss since I've seen him do more in SS personally. Also, he brings stupid sets that always end up being used in the right matchup somehow so he has that surprise factor. However, Fylkir can win if he asks me for my Morgrem team I suppose.
SS: K3ppr vs kythr - The better of the two twins, also he didn't have to write an essay after a loss during this tour
SS: Ferno vs Mateeus - Why is bird boy, the manager slotted in the finals... regardless there is no staravia in SS, and while its not like staravia is getting a win anyways, he definitely wont win without it
SM: Chaitanya vs DugZa - Won the last encounter, is undefeated and does have the circuit ribbon I guess
ORAS: Crashy vs Riku Sakuraba - Only really giving it to riku since he has a better record, including the win in the last encounter, plus hes like really really lucky
BW: GotCookies vs Yami - say gg

It physically pains me to bold a team led by Mateeus, so please prove these wrong Scorpions

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Slateport Scorpions (4) vs Snowpoint Staravias (2)
SS: Fylkir Pudin vs Floss - The Nexus showdown runback. Floss winning Monotype Seasonals and Fylkir winning Monotype generations, both sporting 3-2 records and both being very solid players and builders in their games make this a very hard match to predict. But in my opinion, I think that Fylkir has the edge here due to him having a more flexible type usage pool and superior knowledge of SS MU's.
SS: K3ppr vs kythr - The runback from week 1. K3ppr may have the better record but he has fallen to kythr before, so I think this match might be just as tight. However I think the edge goes to kythr due to his proven flexibility and superior playing ability, despite his lesser record.
SS: Ferno vs Mateeus - Mateeus is the superior player to Ferno here but due to Ferno's unorthodox builds mat could be taken for a loop. But if we were to base this is an average MU, even with gimmicks, I think Mat should take the win here.
SM: Chaitanya vs DugZa - Chaitanya was the best SM player last gen and while Dugza may have his stolen ribbon this will be chait's chance to show who's really the best USUM player.

ORAS: Crashy vs Riku Sakuraba - Crashy has the superior knowledge and playing ability as opposed to riku, but riku has decent support that has allowed him to win many times in the past. Despite this I still think Crashy gets the edge here.
BW: GotCookies vs Yami - GotCookies has been turning up this tour and I think his momentum will carry on to this match, especially since Yami has been demoralized from previous losses. I hate to say it like this but GotCookies will win due to his head being in the game.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: Grats ravia's!

Last edited:

64 Squares

Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push miracle whips
is a Tiering Contributor
Predicts since its finals, and I know most of the people:

SS: Fylkir Pudin vs Floss: Fylkir is heat af both in the builder and gameplay wise. Floss won the ssnl i think so he's probably lucky af which will make the game close, but ultimately Fylkir should be able to beat the hax and prevail.
SS: K3ppr vs kythr: What a matchup. Can it be a tie? Id give k3ppr the slight edge as he has a better record. Also Kythr beat k3ppr earlier, so i think k3ppr will even the series to prove he isnt the inferior twin.
SS: Ferno vs Mateeus: Ferno started off hot but is on a rough streak right now, I dont know too much about either so I gotta go with the guy who has the smaller losing streak heading into the finals.
SM: Chaitanya vs DugZa From what I've seen, DugZa is heat af (5-0 in this tour and won the last ribbon). Also idk if chait is ever gonna be the same after i beat him with the bug boys (life orb physical galvantula was the star, s/o fylkir) in a room tour final the other week.
ORAS: Crashy vs Riku Sakuraba: Haven't heard of riku before but they're 4-1, so they must be fire. Crashy is solid too and he smashed me in gens (to be fair I didn't know what the fuck i was doing since I never played gen 7 or 6 mono before) so I'll give just a slight edge to the Riku.
BW: GotCookies vs Yami: Cookies is surprisingly positive while Yami is sporting an awful 1-4 record. However, cookies is unviable so I gotta go with Yami

on to the most important predictions you will read for this round

Slateport Scorpions (6) vs Snowpoint Scorpions (0)
SS: Fylkir Pudin vs Floss - Damn we are really having a rematch in basically every game, insane. he did win the ss seasonals but i am prepared for floss bringing wack sets and even though he beat me last game i reckon i can win, maybe ill even bring big copperajah who knows, it is on the vr finally so you fuckers cant talk shit about the GOAT
SS: K3ppr vs kythr - the battle of the clones again, kythr won last time but k3kkr has had a better record so far in the tour and imo should take this here, he is the luckier of the two as proven countless times. yes im still angry about it k3 fuck you
SS: Ferno vs Mateeus - ferno has been fucking insane in this tour, she was also the only one to get a win vs this team last time we played and lets be real shes only playing mat. also they somehow managed to permabench blinkboy after he got them 2 wins without a loss??? mat really is a tyrant
SM: Chaitanya vs DugZa - damn dugza is really undefeated, how did you guys let this happen? regardless it should be a great game between these two, both are fantastic sm players but i think chait will win this one
ORAS: Crashy vs Riku Sakuraba - Riku has been great this tour as i expected but crashy has been on a hot streak winning 3 games on the trot so im backing him to beat riku in what should be a great game
BW: GotCookies vs Yami - goat cookies really living up to his name after his first round loss, and while that loss was to magma, magma hasnt won a game since then so i think hes going to come in and win it here

Thunder

Kingku ke charan pranam
Predictions from a guy who betted against dugza and floss that they won't win-
Slateport Scorpions (6) vs Snowpoint Scorpions (0)
SS: Fylkir Pudin vs Floss - Fylkir has got alot of great matchups this tour and since this filthy gen is all about matchups, I can see fylkir claiming this one. Fylkir choice band tox is gonna guide him to win trust me.
SS: K3ppr vs kythr - The battle of the twins. Kythr might have won last time but k3ppr has a better record and gonna use his luck to grab the win this time
SS: Ferno vs Mateeus - I still don't know how ferno agreed to play ss. But trust me ferno is gonna use his beefing powers to grab the win in this matchup.
SM: Chaitanya vs DugZa - Dug might be undefeated but chait is gonna end dugza's streak and grab the win as he is ready for all occa berry bisharp that floss is gonna throw. Also chait is the GOAT.
ORAS: Crashy vs Riku Sakuraba - Going to be a great match. Riku has been good this tour, but crashy has been in great form and is going to carry his last 3 match winning run.
BW: GotCookies vs Yami -Magma might have won last but that was magma's only win and cookies is coming in this match with great momentum, while yami is coming with a losing streak. Cookies is going this momentum into a win.

SS: Fylkir Pudin vs Floss - This is great match between SS Mono elite. While Fylkir happens to be one of my favorite users, his heat will get predicted and countered by the head of the staravias RnD.
SS: K3ppr vs kythr - I think both players are quite evenly matched and both have outplay potential. Like many SS games, I expect the result to be decided by the matchup and prep. Loser will be immortalized as the other’s clone. I think Kythr will get the matchup though, he has less patterns than K3ppr.
SS: Ferno vs Mateeus - While I think Mateeus will have superior preparation and ability, ferno has been on a rampage this tour and no one has been safe. I expect hax, early/no ggs and a lot of trash talk.
SM: Chaitanya vs DugZa - Chaitanya famously destroyed circuit tours last year but lost in playoffs, to Dugza’s benefit. This might be the most anticipated game this week but I truly believe the psycho Nexus prep will pull through.
ORAS: Crashy vs Riku Sakuraba - Throughtout these predictions I have been flattering Staravias prep but this is in no way to undermine the Scorpions who have incredible players. I believe this is one matchup which crashy can outplay and win since Riku has a few of his wins owed to hax.
BW: GotCookies vs Yami - Idk what is happening behind the scenes for Staravias but after prepping for Yami for a few weeks, let me tell you, this slot is very winnable for the Scorpions. However I expect the Staravias to fix the issues they’ve been having recently and pick up a win here.

Either way this has been a great tournament, many thanks to all of the hosting staff, managers and ofc players.

ggs staravias. Sucks to go from a 2-1 lead to a 2-4 loss but it is what is it. Nonetheless, I had a fun season this blt. I'll do some quick s/o

Chaitanya- pretty much the "manager" of the team. Thanks a bunch for helping the team out and providing everybody with teams and advice. We definitely could not have made it this far without you help. Was fun to team with you and hopefully we can team again :). Also good luck with being our TL.
Ferno- You were a beast within the first few weeks of this tour but unfortunately went downhill after w3. Was nice to have you on the team. Hopefully I don't see you locked/infracted again for your wack shit lol.
Crashy- Glad to have you on the team man. You started off a little weak but got us some key wins in the latter weeks. Sucks you couldn't clutch again in finals but I hope you learned from your games this BLT and can be even more successful here on out.
K3ppr- Same to you, glad to have you on the team and for getting us some key wins in the latter weeks. You made some mistakes in some of your games here and there so I hoped you learned from them and can apply that to more of you games here on out. Hope to see you make MPL this year and do well.
Fylkir Pudin- The man himself. The spiciest of memes and predictions. Pleasure to have ya on the team. Also hope I can see you make MPL this year and do well
GotCookies- You may act dumb sometimes but your a cool person to talk to. Thanks for clutching up in BW in the latter weeks and hope I can see u starting or at least a sub for BW this MPL
The Thunderbirds- Didn't get to talk to you much since we are opposite timezones but you seem like a really nice and chill person. Sorry you got some awful mu's and that this tour didn't go you way but don't let this discourage you. I think you got some real potential.
Wyn- Sucks we couldn't officially have you on our team but thanks for being a fun lad in our team chat. Also sucks blt kinda went bad for you but please don't quit again :(.

Once again fun season and ggs. Hope we have a fun MPL this year and also hope ss mono gets better after DLC(cuz god it's so boring lol).

Ggs and congrats staravias, good run team I hope you guys learned something even though it was a disappointing end. I said what I wanted in cord but feel free to talk to me whenever.

Just wanna say I enjoyed building for gen 8 and I don't really think it's stale. Imo people aren't bothered enough to look for new viable tech to use. Gen 7 ruined our expectations, and maybe we sort of expected another extremely balanced metagame like we were used to in SM. This obviously isn't the case and gen 8 is a more matchup oriented tier, I don't think there's any denying that, but I personally found playing and building more enjoyable than I expected going into the tour. I'd encourage some of the oldheads to give it a real chance. DLC will probably make it 'better' but it could get more matchup oriented than it is now, which is honestly the nature of our tier, no matter how balanced we try to make it.

ggs and congrats again s/o wyn for help and jazzzz

Well, unfortunately it's time to say farewell to what have been weeks of not less than an incredible adventure for me. Being a rookie as a team tournament manager in major tours, I can say I had tons of new experiences - most good, others... unfortunate - in this BLT ride. Anxiety on a 2-2 week tie, celebration after winning, disappointment when we got haxed, among others - this competition was packed of them. But in the end, I think I had overall what matters the most on every game, which is, well, having (loads of) fun. (obv bolstered by winning it all, let's not be hypocrites here). Truthfully, I wasn't too optimistic/motivated at playing mons at the start due to missing last year circuit playoffs by 1 point, disappointing tournament runs lately and some irl stuff, but as the weeks and the results went by, I can say I want to play this game more and improve on it, mainly because of how proper playing, prepping and teamwork can lead to big, remarkable victories like this one. In fact, it is my obligation to make some shoutouts to the protagonists of this thrilling run:

DugZa you're just fucking amazing. Aside from you being, well, dumb 99% of the time, you were practically our savior in past-gen teambuilding and useful in overall preparing. It's inspiring to see how you've risen as a player since I knew you last year (lmao you were basically an azure noob haha), and teaming up with you again would be a blessing because of how much you've done. Winning the ribbon was definitely no fluke from your showing this BLT in my opinion, and with your humility you can really go far in this community. and stop using gay stall water that archetype sucks ass lmao

Floss aside from you being a ultra fatass, you're the fucking SS GOAT atm. Most of current gen teambuilding went on your hands, and no surprise we got an impressive result at it. You definitely are on your way to being one of the best Monotype players (in all gens, not just SS) in my opinion, and thank you for controlling dugza during the tour lmao idk how would I get thru all of this without u to make him not spam stall water/ pass stall water to ppl every single week

kythr unfortunately your record wasn't better because of unfortunate matchups and hax, but I think you had some great games in the tournament (and won the fucking final match for us). I think you've came really far from the [redacted] days lmao. Bar the time you and Floss prepared outside of team chat (lol don't ever do that again u fool), you've been of great help in our SS slots while chilling with us as a friend overall. Hope you make it into MPL, you deserve it!

Riku Sakuraba THE ONE AND ONLY ORAS SAVIOR, OMFG! Bro I think out of all our slots, you surprised me the absolute most. Putting you to play ORAS was honestly a gamble I took at the start of the tournament, and oh boy did it work well. Aside from a tad of hax in some games, you fucking rocked it at ORAS my man. Just gotta work on your self-confidence a bit; you have the skill to back it up, trust me <3

Yami I'm not going to lie your final record wasn't what I was expecting from you, but don't take it as the end of the world bro; it's just a game. You've been amazing in prep for old gens, and I don't think numbers summarize how good you are. I thank you a lot for staying with us even after not being on the best condition to play in the last weeks, and hopefully you get another opportunity to shine, you deserve it :)

blinkboy 2-0 GOAT, only undefeated boy in this team haha! Thank you for your clutch wins in weeks we tied, but you suddenly disappeared mid tour and left me quite worried given the state of the world rn. If you get to read this, take this as a thank you and tell me what happened, you literally vanished :(

ed wins you only got to play one week, sadly, but I understand you had some irl issues and you weren't motivated to play afterwards as you told me. Hopefully it goes better for you, I want to see you in action in more tournaments in Monotype :)

For other managers: thanks for making this competition fair, square and most importantly: fun. There's no good feeling in winning if your opponents aren't a real deal; all other five teams had good games against us and most importantly, had sportsmanship. I apologize for my overreactions with hax, wins or anything of the sort; it's a thing I'm working on not just here, but irl too.

To end it all, cheers and take care!

At first, I didn't want to do this because I don't have much presence on forums, but here goes. This tournament has been a rough ride from individual effort in the form of competing for 1st/2nd/3rd place in any room tours I could enter in from the group stage where the pressure builds and builds. At first, I was skeptical that I'd be able to do any good. I never liked team tours because the pressure of losing one match feels 10x heavier, but thanks to the team, they have helped me warm up to team tours a bit more. Even though I still dislike battling with all the team pressure, it felt good that I had a group of people to support, test, speculate, laugh, cry, and many other emotions I did not even know existed. These guys may (and that is a big may) have reignited a passion for learning Monotype in old generations. This was a fun tournament...anxiety-inducing, but fun. Now then, without further gross, sappy interruption, I want to shout-out some people.

DugZa: The one person who wouldn't let me john on purpose, but he is also the mastermind behind all the weird teams I have brought in this tournament. I cannot stress enough how outlandish his team ideas were, but in the end, they worked. Thank you, DugZa, for the teambuilding support, speculation, and new ideas. Besides all the flowery awards you've gotten as a result of your ingenuity, your skill and cleverness never cease to amaze me. It even scares me a little, but hey, you're a joy to watch, and I look forward to growing with you.

Floss: When it comes to ingenuity, this guy comes to mind as well. I have had the fortune to see Floss's teambuilding skills at work, and man, he scares me with some of his ideas. Floss has been both a big support in teambuilding, comic relief, and team testing. Floss helped me to destress before games, but then again, he does prank me from time to time. Anyways, the point is this: Floss, you rock. I hope to learn lots of cool sets from you. Also, thank you for steering DugZa from having me run Stall Water one week. Never again.

Mateeus: It is my understand that everyone has heard... Just kidding. Mateeus has also been a big support in the teambuilding process, team morale, and team testing. He has also been a great coach to me in our test battles to help me pick my battles better. You have helped me to think more about strategy and helped me to pay attention to details in battle more. I feel so honored that I was part of the team you managed. Thank you.

Kythr: He has been both my RU coach as well as a great friend supporting me in this tour. He has helped to boost my confidence in myself (even though my self-doubt still overpowers that). I enjoyed seeing you play both in RU and in Mono. This BLT experience has been fun since I think this was the first time we've been on the same team. Let's continue to go more not only in Monotype but in other tiers as well!

Yami: Yami has been the behind-the-scenes EV master of the teams build. He has also pitched ideas on what to bring for the weeks. We may have scared him a few times by throwing out teams with one unviable mon with a heat set, but all in all, he has been instrumental in helping the teams fare quite well in battle. In addition to DugZa, Floss, and Mateeus helping teambuild, Yami has been very helpful in narrowing down types and providing useful information of what mons work and what doesn't. His knowledge in old gens has really been beneficial and helped me to build my own teams even.

Blinkboy: We've only seen each other once or twice, but your record was literally perfect. I do hope you are safe wherever you are, and I hope to see you in the future whether it is on a team or in battle.

ed wins: Though we haven't seen each other except for that one week, I do hope that you are keeping well wherever you are.

Had it not been for their belief in me (if you could call it that), then I might not have been able to fare as well doing it alone. I truly thank each and every one of the members of the Staravias for their support and their strategy meetings. I hope to grow more with all of you and gain more confidence in myself.

I also want to thank the opponents and the other managers for the competitive atmosphere of the whole tour. This was my first(?) BLT tournament, and it still stands that I have much to learn and have a long way to go. I hope I can learn a lot more from all of you. Thanks for the experience! Until the next time.

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
Wasn't entirely sure how to go about this (first time), but gonna drop some s/os for the Ravias.

ed wins - You weren't around for long, but you were pretty chill in the short time I knew you for. Hopefully you manage to rekindle your interest in mons, because you can do pretty well when focused.

blinkboy - Damn, the only unbeaten member of the team. You were fire in both games, and I'm glad you ended BLT on a positive note. Although we haven't heard from you since Week 4, so hope you're staying safe if you see this.

Yami - I know when this BLT is looked back upon, people will look at the records, but I definitely feel that didn't reflect on how you played in most of the games, nor your presence in the cord. It's unfortunate that we couldn't get better support for you to bounce ideas off, but you still tried your best. You helped a chunk in ORAS, especially keeping DugZa's crazier ideas in check for the most part. Just make sure you stay out of trouble on forums for the next month or two, we've still got to wrap up an OMFL win.

Riku Sakuraba - I think having a great chat is underrated for team cords, especially considering that ours was much more active than others (from what I've heard). You were definitely one of the flagbearers in that regard, with your immensely positive chat presence bouncing off well on the rest of us. Also helps that you ended with the tied best record this tour, you're definitely improving as a player and it's great to see that tangible growth first-hand. Just make sure you get rid of your remaining self-doubt, and you're good to go.

kythr - You've really won every BLT you've played in so far, haven't you? I'm sorry for letting you down with prep in the regular season, it definitely felt like your slot got the worst matchups in regular season except the first week (admittedly, me slacking a bit at times didn't help), but you still pulled through with a decent record and the biggest win in the tour. Hopefully, people take note of your skills soon enough in the Mono community.

DugZa - First time we got to team up as players despite our history together, and it was a blast. Pretty much the MVP for our team, went unbeaten throughout the regular season and masterminded the combined 10-2 record in ORAS and SM. You've come a long way since your stage fright of last BLT, and it was great to team up with you. Hope to see you keep developing as a player and teammate, and you better stay on track and put some good work in MPL.

Mateeus_1 - Putting this team together was a bold move, and it paid great dividends for you. When a couple of our players had a few activity issues, you stepped up to the plate and clutched some key wins that helped us make and win playoffs (we don't talk about what happened in W5). You were great in providing suggestions for teams, helping provide test games, and setting a standard in terms of chat presence (which got a bit wild at times, I won't lie). Would love to see you manage in MPL, you fully deserve it for what you've done so far.

DugZa

Carpe Diem
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
Kind of late with shout-outs but the team deserves it for all the hard work and effort they put in across all six weeks. I’m no good with words, nevertheless I'll try my best. Firstly, ggs to Scorpions and all the other teams we played against. I must say the team server was extremely active, which is probably the biggest reason we did as well as we did, team spirit was at its best. Anyway, shout-outs to the best team I could've asked for this BLT.

Mateeus For your first time managing you did an exceptional job, everyone on the team would agree with me on that. Helped with prep for all the slots but more importantly you always kept us motivated even when we were frustrated with some unfortunate luck or just a bad game, and you're probably the main reason the team server was active from the get-go. Not to mention you also got us some key wins that helped us win. Thank you for drafting me and I really hope you manage in MPL, you deserve it 100%. Also, thanks for bullying Floss with me, for sure the highlight of our BLT journey together :psysly:

Floss Was really looking forward to teaming up with you in a smogon team tour and was completely worth it!!! SS building and prep was almost completely in your hands and as expected your teams delivered. You went from getting knocked out R3 of every seasonals to winning gen 8's first seasonals and cementing yourself as one of the better CG players. It's always nice to see people grow right in front of your eyes. Again, great job on the SS prep for all slots in every week. Was fun to have you in the team server, great chat presence and an even greater teammate. Hope to team up with you again in a future tour. More importantly, thank you for helping me prank Mat multiple times across all 6 weeks :bloblul:

kythr Third BLT ring eh? How do you do it, too good. Unfortunately some hax and bad MUs didn't help with your record but nice clutch in finals!! Your team presence was just great and your help in the SS slots was huge. (Water team in week 5 was kinda trash though, Floss can confirm) I'm glad we got to team up, you're a nice teammate and an even greater friend. (Next time don't prep outside of team server though :blobglare: ) I hope you get in to MPL, you truly deserve it. Oh yeah, one more thing....
2020-05-11 19_38_29-#wizengamot.png
I lied, you suck :psyangry:

Riku Sakuraba ORAS GOAT! Biggest steal of the draft for sure. 5-1, best record in the tour. You were kind of new to the whole scene at the start of the tour but man, you rocked it. The best part was building and putting together ideas and you were ready to use them regardless of how bizarre they were. Great chat presence in the team server, honored to have had you as a teammate. Just need to work on your self-confidence but apart from that you're amazing and I hope you continue to do well in future tours. Better use stall water, next time we team up ;w;

Yami I know your season didn't go as well as either of us would've thought but your record doesn't really show what you're truly capable of as a player. Your support in ORAS prep with teams, sets, EVs was vital for the success in that slot. As Floss said, unfortunately you didn't get the best support to team build and bounce ideas off so, apologies for that but you still did your best and some unfortunate hax and tough MUs didn't help your case. You were one of the most active people in the team chat and helped keep the server popping. Hopefully your next team tour goes better for you, good luck for OMFL, I hope your team wins.

blinkboy You did extremely well in the weeks you played and great job on the record for your first time playing monotype. Unfortunately we didn't really hear from you after week 4 and you haven't been on smogon in a while. Hopefully all is well with you.

All in all, was a fun tour mostly because of the epic team and their hard work. Team chat activity is greatly underrated in team tours from what I've seen but I think what led to our teams success was the loads of activity in the team chat. Again, huge shout-outs to everyone on the team it was extremely fun to team up with you guys and looking forward to team up with you guys in future tours. :heart:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)