Project Monotype Core Laddering Challenge Season 3: Challenge # 1

taken over from Namranan and approved by Eien
cohosting with Perish Song

Monotype Core Laddering Challenge Season 3!
Challenge #1
2 Cores, March 4th - March 17th

Ice

Mega-Abomasnow+Jynx
tag: CCS3ic
HoF Rankings:
Platinum: 1550+
Gold: 1400+
Silver: 1300+
Bronze: 1200+

Ghost

Marowak-Alola+Oricorio-Sensu
tag: CCS3Gh
HoF Rankings:
Platinum: 1550+
Gold: 1400+
Silver: 1300+
Bronze: 1200+

Note: Namranan is no longer the host of CLC so if you have any questions regarding cores or any core suggestions you can pm me on PS! on Starblim or Message me on smogon aswell.

To register to participate in a core challenge, you must reply to this forum with the proper information to be eligible! See the example post below for details. This also applies for submitting peaks (with that said please keep all of your information onto 1 post)! Otherwise, refer to the Index Thread for the official rules and info on this project.

There will be a second challenge along with obtaining the Hall of Fame Rankings. This second challenge is the competition for the best Win/Loss Ratio in 30 games with each core, i.e. at 30 games, take a screenshot of your record and post it in your registration as well. The team with the best record will be added to its own Hall of Fame.

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
Challenge Registration:
Ps! Name: Flossed Over
Laddering Alt(s): CCS3gh J, CCS3IC J
HoF replays/Peaks:

Last edited:
registration

ps! name: average fella
Laddering alt: ccs3ic xd
hof replays/peaks:
forgot to. heres a replay of me losing. bronze. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-871744843

this core has two mons that overlap on what is essentially the same role. i also got into multiple hopeless matchups because i can't afford to use teamslots on checking things and instead must use two things that beat a good matchup

Last edited:
Here is the team that I built for the challenge.

Basic thought process: Marowak was a standard Rocker, Jellicent was a water immunity and special wall, Sableye, Mimikyu, and Blacephalon were all standard sets. Thus, the only truly unique set was the Oricorio, which I also made a scarfer. With Mega Sableye, hazards hard usually a problem, thus it is fine to run a Scarf Defog set and you don't need to rely on it much, but it's still there if you need it. With a scarf, it hit a nice speed tier, and had decent stabs in Revelation Dance and Hurricane to weaken threats, making Blacephalon's job far easier than normal. Oricorio did not replace Blace as a scarfer, but rather added to Blace's role instead. Who knew Ghost could run two scarves and get away with it?

I'll just submit my team here too.

The idea behind this team was constructing a weather team around Abomasnow (like most ground teams around hippowdon). There's the weather abuser / spinner (LO Sandslash - Rock Slide can be used over EQ to have a better check to an unboosted Volcarona) and the necessary wall breaker (LO Kyurem Black). There's also the mandatory check to Scizor-Mega, which was Walrein (I didn't use Lapras because the MU vs water should be easier with Jynx, Kyurem B, and Abomasnow). I originally used Ninetales-Alola in Walrein's spot, but Aurora Veil wasn't all that necessarily and it was basically just asking to auto-lose the steel MU. Mamoswine was originally a scarf set w/o Rocks (the Rocks and Rapid Spin role was compressed into Sandslash), but removing Ninetales-Alola gave me a bit more liberty with my sets. I decided I didn't necessarily need Superpower to win the normal MU (Sandslash, Kyurem B were all pretty helpful) and Stone Edge was basically needed so that Char Y doesn't sweep the team. Rocks were more essential than Superpower and it helped a lot with the MU vs fire. I decided that I wanted Jynx to have some set-up sweeper set (kinda like the SD Garchomp set from Ground), and the dex analysis had a pretty good set that used Z-Lovely Kiss to boost speed. It also had some good utility (even if you already had used the z-move), which was something surprising to find out. It definitely helped net a few matches, but just a word of caution, it dies to nearly every priority move. It was a lot of fun using this team though :)

Edit: some interesting replays (bolded showcase Jynx)
vs Ground vs Electric vs Poison vs Fire vs Dark - 1 2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)