Other Monotype Fighting (Peak #14)

So... wow. This team took me way farther than I ever thought it would. I don't think I've ever come close to peaking this high on any ladder.

That said, there's always room for improvement, so that's why I'm posting about it here.

Danny (Infernape) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Overheat Flare Blitz

'Ey, chump! Over here!

Infernape here is my lead. His job is to shut down hazard setters, set up rocks, and (depending on the type matchup) punch a few holes in the opposing team. I've found that he's especially good at dealing with Skarmory. Taunt forces it to use Brave Bird, the recoil breaks Sturdy, and then he can just burn it to cinders with Overheat Flare Blitz. This move also helps it prevent potential spinners/ defoggers from removing his hazards.

Viktor (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Strike fast and hard, little man, or never strike at all.

I'll never forget the flying monotype team I encountered lower down on the ladder. Back when I was still testing out my team, I encountered a scarfed Togekiss that singlehandedly demolished me. Anything that wasn't OHKO'd was flinchhaxed into oblivion. "Never again!" I vowed.

So, in a nutshell, that's why this guy is here. His purpose is to get the leg up on Scarf users that every team in monotype seems to have. Besides the aforementioned Togekiss, he's also good at handling Scarf Chandelure, Scarf Staraptor, and a lot of threats that would speed creep him otherwise. He's also my primary check to Mega Pinsir, since he takes neutral damage from Aerilate Quick Attack.

Ito (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

You're just asking for trouble, buddy.

Conkeldurr's the rock of my team, for lack of a better word. He's a hell of a good status absorber, since burns only make him stronger and he doesn't really mind being paralyzed since he's already slow. Ice Punch provides coverage against a lot of Flying threats, particularly the near- ubiquitous Landorus and Landorus-T. Knock Off provides essential coverage against Psychic teams (especially Slowbro, who tends to give my team a VERY hard time) and Ghost teams.

Charles (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric] Grass

Come forth, knave, and feel the merciless sting of my blade!

Keldeo has the distinction of being the only Special based attacker on my team. Scald and Secret Sword are his primary STAB moves, of course. Scald is an invaluable tool against Doublade and Aegislash, which laugh at most forms of physical offense. Icy Wind is a nice move to spam against Flying teams, as well, as the slowing effect is invaluable to my other teammates. If Keldeo goes down, one of my other sweepers can come in and get the guaranteed first strike, continuing my offensive momentum.

I decided to switch from HP Electric to HP Grass, since the latter tends to be more spammable against Water monos (which often include Gastrodon).

Li Hua (Medicham-Mega) (F) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Bullet Punch

Without a strong mind, a strong body is useless.

By far the hardest hitter of my team, Mega Medicham provides two key assets to my team; strong priority, and immediate, earth- shattering power. Bullet Punch OHKOs Mega Diancie, which is always nice, and as for High Jump Kick... yeesh. She's cleared entire teams with that move. I opted to go for Psycho Cut instead of Zen Headbutt, since I hate hax and her power is insane either way.

Guillermo (Hawlucha) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick

If you don't believe in yourself, who's going to believe in you?

Hawlucha's my cleanup sweeper, and, more often than not, my team MVP. I can't tell you how many times this little guy has come in and saved my team from imminent defeat.

The EV/IV setup gives Hawlucha exactly 296 HP, so he'll eat his Sitrus Berry after two subs. Instead of going with the traditional 12 HP EVs, I decided to "cheat" by lowering the IV number, so I could max out both Attack and Speed. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?

As for the nature, I know Adamant is standard on most Hawlucha sets, but I think Jolly is really the way to go in this metagame. Jolly allows him to get the drop on meta-defining threats like Gengar, Latios and Keldeo, all of whom can speed creep Adamant variants.

Furthermore, it should be said that Hawlucha can absolutely wreck Mega Sableye. Substitute blocks any incoming WoW, and 110 BP Acrobatics gets the OHKO after a couple dances.

And that's my team! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Great team, just against flying play well and be careful cause landorus-T fucks on terrakion which is your main answer to flying teams

Interesting idea for Icy Wind on Keldeo. Most would just throw Ice Beam on it and call it done.

As with dust above me said, watch Landorous-T since it will end your day if it manages to drop Terrakion. Mega Slowbro with the right set up could also pose a great risk as well if Ito were to drop. Faries are obvious risks, but between Lu Hau and Viktor, most should drop.

Other than that, you should be set. I could make a point that the Sp. Attacking end leaves a lot to be desired as Charles is the only Sp. Attacker, but with Choice Specs you have /more/ than enough damage. Good team.

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
Interesting idea for Icy Wind on Keldeo. Most would just throw Ice Beam on it and call it done.

As with dust above me said, watch Landorous-T since it will end your day if it manages to drop Terrakion. Mega Slowbro with the right set up could also pose a great risk as well if Ito were to drop. Faries are obvious risks, but between Lu Hau and Viktor, most should drop.

Other than that, you should be set. I could make a point that the Sp. Attacking end leaves a lot to be desired as Charles is the only Sp. Attacker, but with Choice Specs you have /more/ than enough damage. Good team.
Unknown keldeo doesn't get ice beam

Thanks for the advice, you two!

Yeah, Lando-T can be a bit of a problem for me, but I usually know how to deal with him.

I used this team to see if I really got guts for playing more the Monotype ladder, unsurprinsingly a team made full of hard hitting mons of a very offensive typing got me fastly to 1400. However, I've been using Hawlucha with a different set because I don't feel comfortable putting subs against mono-fairys because of their Pixilate Hyper Voice.

Guillermo (Hawlucha) (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sky Attack
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick

Facing a mono-fairy once, I got to faint a Clefable by SDing in the switch, Sky Attacked first(to Unburden the herb off) and got a flinch, Acrobatics next and BOOM Clefable was gone.

Thanks for the advice, you two!

Yeah, Lando-T can be a bit of a problem for me, but I usually know how to deal with him.
With Conkeldurr I usually try to get his scarf off in the switch in with knock off or even hit him right after with Ice Punch, since it can take an EQ pretty easily. Switching Conkeldurr into Lando-T is not an easy task btw.

Hello, nice Fighting mono, I uh, think I might've run into you on the ladder. This is my first attempt at actually rating a team so bear with me .3.

I'm actually really liking the Infernape set, since it does fit well with Fighting's Hyper offensive style. However, I would recommend Overheat -> Flare Blitz. It still packs a lot of power, but it also has the benefit of possibly preventing the opponent from rapid spinning or defogging your hazards, since, at ~5% at least, Flare Blitz will faint Infernape. Then you could try getting Keldeo or Terrakion in with the free switch and just go ham.
Danny (Infernape) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Flare Blitz

For Conkeldurr, you could also try changing the EV spread from "248 HP / 252+ Atk / 8 SpD" to " 4 HP / 252+ Atk / 252 SpD" although you do sacrifice some physical bulk, it helps Conkeldurr take some serious special attacks, more so than the current spread.

252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 252-296 (71.7 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 344-408 (83 - 98.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Ito (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Everything else looks good imo. Grats on the peak!

Oh, and Mega Slowbro is banned in Monotype, Unknown648.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Yo nice team! It appears really solid already, I just have a couple of tweaks to suggest that may help :)

I agree with SirSkit that a spread of 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD (248 so you reach an even number iirc, so Assault Vest boosts it) is better on Conkeldurr. It allows it to take special hits much better, and threaten the opposing Pokemon back with its high powered moves.

The only other thing I can think of is Hydro Pump over Scald on Keldeo, as the extra power can often nab KOs and it just hits insanely hard with Specs. HP Grass is another option over HP Electric to hit Gastrodon and Quagsire, while still hitting the annoying Jellicent.

Solid team that you've already made very good, great job, and good luck!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

The new spread for Conkeldurr is working a lot better, and HP Grass on Keldeo is a godsend against Water teams. I'm going to try the Hawlucha and Infernape sets today to see if they work for me

truedrew

Banned deucer.
Hey there man that's a nice fighting team you have there although I must say I see any mega gard bopping your whole team as you have no switch ins. Also mega pinsir can run rampant as you have no SR

For this I suggest switching hawlucha with support cobalion as it provides amazing Sr and twave support and can easily run edge and iron head to take down 2 of your biggest threats
also if you don't mind mega gallade over medi due to its better bulk and sd sweepin opportunities

Nice team btw, I think I've seen this team on the ladder,
Imo I think a stealth rock suicide lead is better for infernape, but it's down to personal preference :)
Sash endeavor is a good strat also (I don't wanna go against SirSkit) but I prefer

Infernape @ Focus Sash
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Stealth Rock
Taunt
Flare Blitz
Close Combat

But as I said it's down to personal preference :) I'm sure InfernapeTropius11 will disagree as I haven't yet beaten his ass in mono.......... yet lol
Again, nice team and I hope it gets you further :)

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
After playing on the ladder with this squad, all I have to say is that hawlucha is insane. It does so much work against teams including mono flying. Nobody expects the nape set and I often find myself getting hazards up and 90% of the time getting an endeavor off which is pretty much a kill in itself. This team is loads of fun and Im really enjoying it. Cool team dude n_n

Quick update: The new Infernape set worked really well for me, so I'm going to update it in the OP.

The Hawlucha set, on the other hand... I mean, it's not bad, but Fairy teams are pretty rare nowadays and I think I prefer the sub-SD set overall. Still appreciate the suggestion, though!

Do you want a hazard remover?
You can use Hitmon__ brothers. I like Hitmontop the best, though.
Try this:
Hitmontop (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Fake Out
I kind of stuck some Smogon movesets together with my personal Hitmontop set.

Do you want a hazard remover?
You can use Hitmon__ brothers. I like Hitmontop the best, though.
Try this:
Hitmontop (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Fake Out
I kind of stuck some Smogon movesets together with my personal Hitmontop set.
I don't think he really needs a hazard remover as Fighting monos really only hate Sticky Web which isn't all that common, and Infernape's quick Taunt usually stops Sticky Web leads (aside from Mental Herb Shuckle).

Also, a really minor change, but I think it would be best to just forego the 4 EVs in HP for Infernape maybe? The set is kinda set around it having a lowered HP, but really, I doubt it'll have much a difference anyhow .3.

I don't think he really needs a hazard remover as Fighting monos really only hate Sticky Web which isn't all that common, and Infernape's quick Taunt usually stops Sticky Web leads (aside from Mental Herb Shuckle)
And Galvantula. For that one, I just have to pray that Infernape wins the speed tie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)