Gen 7 [Monotype] General Grass

Hi! I'm kinda new to competitive, and I've had some success with this team. However, I believe there are a few holes in this team, though I'm not sure where. I might need a support or utility Pokemon, but any advice or criticism is appreciated!

:sm/serperior:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

One of my favorite Pokemon to use, I'm sure it fits well with the team. Standard Contrary-Leaf Storm set, HP Fire for coverage, glare and substitute for utility, leftovers to compliment Serperior's respectable bulk. Only wondering if I should replace Leftovers with another item, maybe a half-health restoring berry (Iapapa, Mago berry, etc), or even if I should replace Substitute with another move. Not looking for much more advice on this one, but general comments are appreciated!

:sm/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes

Definitely keeping Ferrothorn, as it's one of the best leads in the game and certainly for grass. Standard Spikes and Gyro Ball, and I've found success with using Leech Seed. I'm wondering if I should replace Spikes with Stealth Rock, or another move with Stealth Rock, for Flying or Fire teams. I'm not sure if I should keep Protect, but it's good for scouting. Also looking for EV and Nature advice, specifically with HP/SpD investments.

:sm/venusaur-mega:
Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed

Its amazing bulk and good offense make Venusaur my core Pokemon, definitely the one I've had the most success with. Giga Drain, Leech Seed, and Synthesis provide great recovery, Synthesis especially with Sun teams. Sludge bomb for coverage against other grass teams, too. Pretty sure this set is fine, but advice is appreciated, specifically with my EV investments.

:sm/breloom:
Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Power-Up Punch

One of my new favorites to use. Spore provides an oppurtunity to gain momentum using a Technician-boosted Power-Up Punch, Mach Punch is obviously needed too. I'm wondering if I should replace Bullet Seed with another move, I'm thinking maybe Rock Tomb to counter 3 of Grass's 5 weaknesses, especially Charizard-Y, since I've never had to use Bullet Seed and it's pretty unreliable. I'm definitely keeping Power-Up Punch, though, it's fun to use.

:sm/rotom-mow:
Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Leaf Storm

I'm not sure if I should focus more on utility/support with Rotom-M. I've seen Will-O-Wisp used, should I consider replacing Leaf Storm with that, or another move? Actually, should I replace Trick with another move? Trick is good for crippling a wall, but I haven't found much use for it. Wondering if I should replace this one with another Pokemon. Volt switch makes Rotom very handy as a pivot, though, and Thunderbolt helps against Flying.

:sm/celebi:
Celebi @ Groundium Z
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Earth Power

Definitely the Pokemon I am the most keen to replace. I might as well include a Z-crystal, and I like having coverage and setup. However, I'm not sure if my team is too offensive, and I've been thinking about replacing Celebi with another Pokemon, maybe Whimsicott for more support/utility. I previously used Tapu Bulu in this slot, with Horn Leech, Zen Headbutt, Stone Edge, and Substitute. Grassy Terrain came in handy for Venusaur/Ferrothorn, but I felt Tapu Bulu didn't pull its weight.

Sorry if I'm not very familiar with competitive or even Monotype, but any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

edit: unlocked

Last edited:
Hi the_soviet_onion solid basis for a mono grass team, however, I do have some suggestions to make.

Major Changes

:Serperior: ---> :Decidueye:
Serperior ---> Decidueye

Slotting in a Swords Dance Decidueye over Serperior is a no-brainer, as it eases up the Psychic matchup greatly which Grass teams tend to struggle with otherwise, and all in all Serperior all in all does not help with many matchups in general. Roost gives Decidueye longevity and allows it to setup multiple boosts on passive threats. Spirit Shackle allows you to potentially trap threats in which you are able to setup easily on. Shadow Sneak is a strong priority move that can OHKO threats like Mega Gallade and Latios at +2, and Victini as well after Stealth Rock. Spooky Plate is the item of choice as this will further boost Decidueyes 2 attacking moves. Lastly, speed creeping Decidueye to 221 speed allows you to outpace Mantine who would look to Haze away your boosts.

:Rotom-Mow: ---> :Whimsicott:
Rotom-Mow ---> Whimsicott

Adding Whimsicott over Rotom-Mow alleviates the Dragon matchup which is another matchup in which Grass teams can find problematic. Knock Off allows Whimsicott to provide utility for the team in removal key items, such as Chansey and Porygon2's Eviolite, or Celesteela's Leftovers. Encore in conjunction with Prankster allows you to punish setup users as well as passive Pokemon. Pixie Plate is used to further boost Whimsicotts Moonblast, otherwise backed by a mediocre SpA stat.

Minor Changes
:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn

Overall, the set and Ev spread on Ferrothorn is close to optimal, but running Stealth Rock over Spikes provides more utility as you can hit levitating Pokemon. and Leftovers is far more valuable than Rocky Helmet as Ferrothorn appreciates all the passive recovery it can get in conjunction with Leech Seed and Protect.

:Celebi:
Celebi

The Celebi set needs, is to run Hidden Power Fire over Hidden Power Electric to put in massive amounts of work vs Pokemon such as Scizor and Ferrothorn on Steel teams. Also to free up a Z-move slot, Expert Belt would be a better option here allowing you to boost your moves, without the recoil of Life Orb.

:Venusaur-Mega:
Mega Venusaur

This team can often struggle with Flamethrower Celesteela, so adding Hidden Power Fire over Leech Seed on Mega Venusaur allows you to beat it 1v1 and also prevent you from being setup bait from Mega Scizor. Also Once you Knock Off Celesteela”s leftovers with Whimsicott it becomes even easier to deal with. An alternative Ev spread of 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD with a Calm nature, allows you to deal with special threats such as Greninja and Nidoking easier, as well as still be able to deal with physical attackers such as Excadrill and Mega Scizor.

:Breloom:
Breloom

Swords Dance Breloom can find itself being a powerful breaker or key win-condition. Changing Power-Up Punch to Stone Edge, allows Breloom to break through Celesteela, Mega Venusaur, and Mandibuzz with Rockium-Z. In addition, changing from a Jolly nature to an Adamant nature further increases Breloom's wallbreaking potential.

These are all the suggestions I have, good luck with the team!

:Decidueye: :Whimsicott: :Ferrothorn: :Celebi: :Venusaur-Mega: :Breloom:
(click on the sprites for the team)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)