Monotype Monotype Ground Team

First off id like to say that this is my first competitive team. After reading a lot about different formats and liking the idea of monotype i built this team based on the sample cores and, to my surprise, i liked it a lot. So id like some feedback.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Defensive Chomp is my usual lead and my counter to physical attackers. He's surprisingly bulky and can also take some special super effective attacks too. SR, Rough Skin and Dragon tail help to put some things in KO range for the sweepers, EQ for good damage and Fire Blast for coverage. Chomp can also sweep but, aside from setting SR, its main use is as an offensive physical wall of sorts, since RS and Rocky Helmet take 30% off their HP combining that with any attack is almost enough to at least put them in red, if SR is up and she survives the hit it's usually KO.

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Nidoking is the special sweeper and kind of a mixed bag. He's got great coverage and deals lots of damage, that's for sure. Many times Nidoking just KOs two or three mons in one hit, but in return sometimes he gets KOed before acting. I tried giving him a Choice Scarf but i didn't like it much. King can take on many mons thanks to its great coverage but being forced to switch out kinda kills he's usefulness for me. So while he's good something fast can take it down and since he's defenses aren't that good he can't take many hits.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower

The physical wallbreaker, switch in to ice attacks and priority user of the team Mamoswine is a good attacker and gives me many solutions. He pairs well with Chomp as a switch in, gives me a strong priority attack to deal with some otherwise troublesome mons, like Mega Gallade and some dragons, and with Super Power i can deal with normals and ferrothorn if King and Chomp are out. The only bad things are his kinda low defenses and that a Extreme Speed from Dragonite can kill it.

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Sludge Wave

The special wall, Seismitoad plays a vital role in the team. Without him i have no chance of winning against Water teams if either Kingdra or Mega Swampert are on high health under rain. Knock Off for Leftovers, Choice or Life Orb users and Alolan Raichu, Scald as main attack, Sludge Wave for grass and fairies, Earth Power to hit weaknesses. He can take many hits and helps with his burns and is one of the few checks to Tapu Bulu.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Fairy Killer, Speed Control, Spinner. Excadrill is my fast sweeper to deal with either fairies that King and Toad couldn't kill or mons that outspeed my other mons. He's resistances make it easy to switch in and thanks to the residual damage from Chomp or Toad's burns he can steal many kills mid to late game. EQ for solid damage, Iron Head for Tapu Killing and Rock Slide for Bugs, Flyiers and Mega Zards. He's a simple fast assasin.

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Lando is my setup sweeper to kill things late game or pick things that Excadrill didn't finish. If i need more power i use Sword Dance, if i need speed i use Rock Polish. EQ and Stone Edge give good coverage, and if i left a wall Z Power it away. The ground inmunity also helps to switch sometimes. Like Excadrill he's simple, effective and frail but requires help from his teammates, but when boosted he seems to be near unstopable.

Water teams are hell, Tapu Bulu and Mega Venusaur are my main problems against grass and Mega Gallade is hard to kill, since with Ice Punch KOs Lando and Chomp, and only Mamoswine with Ice Shard seems to be able to kill it. So what are your thoughts on the team? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'd like to ask what is the seismitoad spread for? Usually seismitoad wants to outspeed the azumarills in order prevent Azumarill from 6-0 ing you, that speed EV's are way too much for that purpose unless its for something else. You only need 64 speed on modest Seismitoads to outspeed opposing Adamant Azumarills. ( I'll also recommend you to run specs for it to check azumarills more efficiently )

This is a calc of specs seismitoad hitting an azumarill behind light screen. Its better to have an answer for azumarill which otherwise can just aqua jet your entire team after a belly drum.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill through Light Screen: 153-181 (44.8 - 53%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey Frostwulf, interesting Sandless HO Ground team, I have a few suggestions though. These suggestions are just mostly move/set changes with some slight EV tweaking to keep the team as similar to as you built it while making it more efficient.

/
>

Having Bulky Chomp as a the Stealth Rock setter made 0 to little sense on this team as it is HO and this is not really a set that belongs and drains momentum from the team, so I changed it to a HO Rocks lead. This is the set typically found on Dragon teams, however it works here without having to change to much of your team such as your Landorus-T set. This also gives you an emergency check against Mega Gallade, in case it carries Ice Punch however it rarely does nowadays.
Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

/ Thunderbolt>Earth Power & Substitute can be run over Flamethrower
So the reason I suggest Thunderbolt over Earth Power is because the team already has an abundance of Ground-type stab and does not really need Nidoking to run it, also Thunderbolt alongside Ice Beam allow it to break all Flying-type Defoggers, making it a very nice addition as something to Pressure hazard removers. The reason I say Substitute can be run over Flamethrower is because Flamethrower still has merit on this team because of Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Scizor, however Substitute allows it to easily threaten fatter teams especially Flying because of it being able to setup Substitute on a forced switch. Though this change is not as necessary as the others, but is nevertheless something to consider.
Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Substitute

/
>
& Knock Off>Superpower
Mamoswine is a good priority user for the team and does not really appreciate being Choice Locked so I changed its item to a Life Orb. With this alongside me removing Knock Off from Seismitoad for Grass Knot, I decided to give Mamoswine Knock Off as Superpower is not really necessary coverage for the team and only has a few small uses, mostly against Steel teams. Knock Off also allows Mamoswine to remove items such as Porygon2's Eviolite allowing the team to easier get rid of it as long as Choice users such as Greninja.
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

/
>
& Grass Knot>Knock Off
I'd like to ask what is the seismitoad spread for? Usually seismitoad wants to outspeed the azumarills in order prevent Azumarill from 6-0 ing you, that speed EV's are way too much for that purpose unless its for something else. You only need 64 speed on modest Seismitoads to outspeed opposing Adamant Azumarills. ( I'll also recommend you to run specs for it to check azumarills more efficiently )

This is a calc of specs seismitoad hitting an azumarill behind light screen. Its better to have an answer for azumarill which otherwise can just aqua jet your entire team after a belly drum.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Seismitoad Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill through Light Screen: 153-181 (44.8 - 53%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
176 Speed EVs and a Timid Nature hit 250 Speed, which allow it to outspeed Adamant Tapu Bulu. Which is pretty popular in the metagame right now, this spread is fine. Though I do have 2 suggestions for Seismitoad, firstly is to change the Assault Vest to a Choice Specs, this gives it the power that is actually necessary to break Azumarill behind a Light Screen with Sludge Wave, also Grass Knot lets it hit Pokemon such as Gastrodon and Mega Swampert which could otherwise give the team some trouble. Also 4 SpD allows Seismitoad to give Porygon2 a boost to Attack rather than Special Attack, its a minor nitpick but overall helps in the Normal matchup. If you wanted to give Seismitoad more bulk you could run EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe alongside a Modest nature, this is the minimum necessary to outspeed Jolly Azumarill.
Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave

/ Toxic>Rock Slide
This is honestly a quite small change however it is really nice. As now Nidoking has BoltBeam it can hit Flying-types for Excadrill and with Mega Charizard Y being almost non-existant it really isnt necessary for Excadrill to run this. Toxic on Choice Scarf might seem weird however it allows Excadrill to cripple switchins such as Mantine and allowing it to cripple Mega Sableye, thanks to Mold Breaker. Overall Excadrill really is not going to miss Rock Slide and sweepers and priority users like Landorus-T and Mamoswine appreciate having their targets worn down by Toxic.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

/ Jolly>Adamant
Last change is really quite simple, Adamant underspeeds to much such as non-boosted Kommo-o and the ever dangerous Vincune and even underspeeding Choice Scarf Greninja after a Rock Polish boost. Changing it to a Jolly nature remedies this as now it outspeeds both threats before a Rock Polish and Choice Scarf Greninja after a Rock Polish. Those few Pokemon really make Jolly the only set Rock Polish Landorus-T sets should use.

Anyway, cool team and hope you have fun using my new suggestions. If you have any questions about the changes I suggest me feel free to contact me on PS/Smogon/Discord.
Garchomp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Substitute

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)