Side Monotype Ladder Tournament V - Discussion Thread

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

Rules
Monotype Ladder Tournament is a part of the 2019 circuit, meaning wins in this tournament WILL count towards the Monotype Ribbon (
).

This tournament will consist of two stages:

1. The first is the actual laddering portion of the tournament, which will last an entire month. The eight participants with the highest ELO at the end of each week will be entered into the playoffs. If a player "won" for multiple weeks, the next highest rated person will be admitted into the playoffs.
Tiebreak Ruling: If two players were to have the same ELO for 8th and 9th place, the player that progresses will be the user with the highest GXE for example:
#8: MLT5B1 Havens - 1949 - 85%
#9: MLT5B1 Decem - 1949 - 84%

Tiebreak rules will declare MLT5B1 Havens as the 8th place user of the cycle.

If two players are tied in both ELO and GXE, then a best of three of SM Monotype will serve as the tiebreaker.

2. At the end of the laddering stage (stage one), the playoffs will start with the 32 top ladder players of the month. Pairings will be randomized. More information on format and rules are listed below. Since there is a possibility we will need substitutes for the tournament, we'll take the 9th and 10th people in each period and randomize them as subs if needed. If you qualify as #9 or #10, you are still able to participate in other cycles and try to qualify for the top 8 of a given cycle.
  • Before you start laddering, you MUST create a fresh alt and post the name with the tag for that cycle (don't forget to register the alt!). YOU MAY HAVE UP TO 3 ALTS PER ONE CYCLE.
Before participating in the tournament, take a moment to read the tournament rules:
Cycle 1 / Cycle 2 / Cycle 3 / Cycle 4

Feel free to open up discussion in this thread. This includes ladder trends, any sets or teams you'd like to show, as well as really any discussion about MLT V is welcome, just remember to post thoughtfully.

Last edited:

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Decem,the cycle ends tomorrow but i'm leaving the tourney,most of the participants decided to attack me on ladder like crazy,i were top 2 and that took me all focus and concentration and i tilted into the abysm,i simply can't battle,i decided to post this here instead of pm you because i want to make this public if this continue i will report to the higher globals of showdown,the other day rap yagurt called me a monkey and a room moderator did fucking nothing,never i'm gonna enter any tourney again because i know people will attack me over and over again.
Somaaa ignore them o; , Your too focused on what people in the comments say of your battles and you lose your focus and concentration while competing. You should've been reported it to higher globals if its bugged you this much ;-; Its online, people are gonna say stuff, people are going to talk s%$?, but you have to be a bigger person and separate reality compared to people/children memeing online behind a screen. Sorrry this happened tho :(

Rap Yogurt called me a monkey.Imagine if it was on
you...put you in my place...i can't battle properly when i'm extremely stressed.i'm very sad and angry,This peopld don't leave me alone,it is on ladder,pms,tourney battles,offenses,trolling,sniping me with ice and fairy,that's why i started using fairy,to protect me.

I often put modchat on as a try to stop them but my opponent go and voice them to speak,so i'm unable to do anything.
/hide battle, /ionext is probably the best way, along with ignore spectators and opponents. Or maybe wait till they are off ladder/report to a staff if he gets so bad would be my best suggestion.

tier

PUPL Champion
i mean perhaps you attacking people just playing ladder games and talking to their friends isnt the best course of action if you wish to be respected ya feel, https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-962239171 maybe tone down the toxicity and it will be reciprocated, just because someone beats you doesnt mean you flame them. I calm said nothing but lol, lmao, and speak to my friends and not you yet you were mad toxic to me like huh.

Rap Yogurt called me a monkey.Imagine if it was on
you...put you in my place...i can't battle properly when i'm extremely stressed.i'm very sad and angry,This peopld don't leave me alone,it is on ladder,pms,tourney battles,offenses,trolling,sniping me with ice and fairy,that's why i started using fairy,to protect me.

I often put modchat on as a try to stop them but my opponent go and voice them to speak,so i'm unable to do anything.
not sure why my earlier comment was deleted.. but in any case, soma just click on options and ignore specs and opponent, if you find the comments that annoying, unfortunately you cant control what people say on the net.

one thing that I noticed was that the meta was dominated by steel, electric and normal teams. Sabella was destroying kids with steel, i saw multiple people using electric and Trichotomy along with Prosaic were normal players.
The strength of these picks utterly removed fairy from the metagame, which seemed to open up the door for quality dragon teams to thrive.

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Echoing Eien I wanted to post the team I use in the first cycle well two teams that I had success with. So I do not usually play SM monotype much at all but with monotype generations coming to grand finals and playing the bo3 for a few weeks in monopl i have been a bit forced to learn it better than I had in the past. What i noticed right away was the abundance of dragon and fairy. I was only really comfortable with one team on the ladder for the first few days which was a water team. Click here. I felt like these two were pretty consistent until you reached the 1700s or so as i kept tilting down while using them I wasnt finding consistently winnable matches as water was just too passive and to readily prepared for. Something i was able to take away from it was that Specs Greninja was very potent on ladder. Many players assuming I was scarf or ebelt was easy to take advantage of while also having absurd breaking power with Hydro Pump in rain. I used a variety of Toxapex sets during my run including baneful/scald/toxic but this is the one I found the be the most useful when needing to be able to deal with Tapu Bulu. On Sunday I was at about 1700 in the morning and at around 9 O'clock pm I just started laddering on a whim with a newer team I'd been testing and tweaking, and it turned out to be really consistent. Click here. I used that team to reach 5th which is when I stopped. I noticed one of the worst mu's was Zard y. The key vs the few bad mus I felt this team had was to get hazards and rocks up early as it usually limits how much the threatening pokemon like Zard y, Victini and Volcarona can do. The team also requires you to be patient around Mega Sableye and try and burn it or forcing a para on it with jirachi. You could also run lum berry on bisharp and it will help much more vs dark. I think part of the reason I had so much success in the last 3 hours was due in part to running into alot of even or winnable mu's. Mainly dragon, psychic, water, Mega Aerodactyl flying, electric, and fairy. I did have a decent amount of fun laddering but sadly the competition wasnt all that fierce on ladder so I'm looking forward for playoffs to be exciting.

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Having spectated a lot of games on ladder and fought MLT players on my alt for video, I think I can post on this thread about what I have seen on the ladder so far in MLT.
To preface there are a ton of flying-type teams on the ladder mainly HO variants. Below I have posted the various variations of team I have commonly seen and some sets that are surprising!?

Flying-type teams:

Permission from chaitanya to talk about this team. This variant of Flying was used by chaitanya and has very good offensive tools to catch you off guard. The teams boosting core of DD Flyinium Z landorus-T and DD Lum Berry Dragonite showed its potential on the ladder as many players struggled to deal with this core. The team also has some form of defensive backbone in Celesteela [Sp.def] and pivot Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T with Defog. Mega Aerodactyl is Taunt, Stealth Rock with EdgeQuake combo for overall good coverage and lastly the Thundurus-T set saw some changes while laddering, at some point it was Choice Scarf with Grass Knot and later got changed to Agility + 3 attacks set with Metronome as item. Overall a great offensive team for the ladder.

This variant of HO saw a lot of usage on ladder from many MLT players. Nothing much to say about it since the team tries to cover as many matchups as possible with its squad. good team to quickly pass low ladder.

Similar variation as above however slight change of sets and team slots here. On this team it is Sub SD Hawlucha while the above one has DD or Agility + 3 attacks Thundurus-T. On this team, Dragonite runs a DD set with Dragonium Z while on the above variant it runs a Band set.

This Balance variant of Flying also saw good usage in week 1 in my opinion and it is pretty solid. Landorus-T is Speed control of the team with Rocks while Gliscor and Zapdos take the Defogger role. Band Dragonite and Mega Charizard Y wallbreaker core and defensive Celesteela to wear down teams.
There were more variants of Balance Flying on Ladder with Mega Charizard Y and Mega Aerodactyl.

Ground-type teams:
For Ground-type teams, I noticed Mega Steelix making its appearance on even sand Ground teams to counter the Fairy teams running around. Here is what the team composition looked like:

and then there was also this sand less Ground team :

This team has Clear Smog Gastrodon which allowed the team insurance against some common threats on the ladder such as Kommo-o with Kommonium Z and Z Celebrate Victini. This is my team actually and here it is if anyone wants it: https://pokepast.es/af4639926cac2931

Water-type teams:
I have seen a ton of different variations for Water on the ladder considering the fact that it is one of the most versatile type on the ladder. Here are some of the teams I noticed frequently:

Balance teams with Volt-turn core are pretty common now in my opinion but some teams went a step ahead to have a surprise factor and utilized Choice Scarf Rotom-W with Thunder Wave to catch threats like Kyurem-B while also compressing the role of a Defog user, this allowed Greninja to utilize moveset tailored to the teams need, some teams used Choice Specs greninja while others used Expert Belt.

Rain teams with decent defensive cores between Sp.def Empoleon and Toxapex are also pretty common as this allows the team with good utility support and frees up the slot on Mega Swampert to make it AOA set.

More offensive variants of Rain teams with Crawdaunt or Primarina / Azumarill made appearances here and there.
Noticed Kingdra being used again on Rain teams due to the low usage of Mantine. I saw 3 different sets for it on the ladder.
* Choice Specs * Sub DD with Dragonium Z [Saw usage in MPL too] * Agility + Focus Energy Cridra e-e
some more interesting sets which I noticed were Choice Scarf Primarina or Tapu Fini for the Dragon match up and CM + Block Mega Slowbro.

Steel-type teams:
Apart from the steel team Sabella posted above, I have also noticed good old steel teams like Klefki offense and priority spam steel.

Electric-type teams:
Nothing too interesting here to see, I just saw a lot of standard Electric with Alolan Golem or sometimes Magnezone over Alolan Golem. Sturdy Custap Berry Explosion Alolan Golem saw some usage on ladder with its pure HO like archetypeand I also came across Mega Ampharos Electric team..
/

Dragon and Fairy are getting a lot of usage and its mostly the standard teams for them however I saw some slight variations like on Fairy where Clefable ran some Cosmic Power + Calm Mind set.
Conclusion: Having shared what I have seen so far, I am eager to know more from other players about their experience and the different sets / teams they faced. All the best.

RE: MLTx23 winds and MLTx23 heals

MLTx23 heals forfeited a game on ladder to MLTx23 winds in order to boost the latter's ladder ranking. This is followed up by MLTx23 winds thanking MLTx23 heals and an attempt to hide the evidence. Boosting ladder ranking artificially is absolutely not allowed, as it goes against the mere point of holding ladder tournaments in the first place, and is a form of cheating.

TieR and Day Healer are disqualified from participating in MLT V for boosting. Any attempt to qualify for playoffs will be nulled. In addition to that, they may both receive a tour ban, although the length is still undecided.
Great! I'm glad something is finally being done about boosting.

Just to make sure the rules are 100% clear (I'd hate to be dq'd!), can you tell us which of the following scenarios would be considered boosting:

(Assume player A and player B are MLT alts in the 1700-1800 range)
1) Player A, using ghost, queues into player B using dark. Player A forfeits at preview due to the MU being an autoloss.
2) Player A, using grass, queues into player B using fairy. During the game, player A gets possessed and plays like an 1000, making obvious mistakes, and loses what should be an autowin on preview.
3) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During team preview, player A disconnects and times out.
4) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During the battle, player A has to use the bathroom and loses on time.
5) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During the battle, it becomes obvious at turn 10 that the battle will last at least 1000 turns and will be a PP stall war. Players A and B agree to a draw.
6) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During the battle, player B decides to artificially stall out the game, taking forever to move, and not finishing the game when he has to, etc. Player A is in a bad position, from which he will lose 95% of the time. Player A forfeits to save time and not spend 30 minutes hoping for a small chance to win.

Thanks! Just wanting to understand what exactly counts as boosting and what doesn't.

Entei

TIMMEHHHHHHHHHHHHhHhhhh
is a Tiering Contributor
Having spectated a lot of games on ladder and fought MLT players on my alt for video, I think I can post on this thread about what I have seen on the ladder so far in MLT.
To preface there are a ton of flying-type teams on the ladder mainly HO variants. Below I have posted the various variations of team I have commonly seen and some sets that are surprising!?

Flying-type teams:

Permission from chaitanya to talk about this team. This variant of Flying was used by chaitanya and has very good offensive tools to catch you off guard. The teams boosting core of DD Flyinium Z landorus-T and DD Lum Berry Dragonite showed its potential on the ladder as many players struggled to deal with this core. The team also has some form of defensive backbone in Celesteela [Sp.def] and pivot Rocky Helmet Tornadus-T with Defog. Mega Aerodactyl is Taunt, Stealth Rock with EdgeQuake combo for overall good coverage and lastly the Thundurus-T set saw some changes while laddering, at some point it was Choice Scarf with Grass Knot and later got changed to Agility + 3 attacks set with Metronome as item. Overall a great offensive team for the ladder.

This variant of HO saw a lot of usage on ladder from many MLT players. Nothing much to say about it since the team tries to cover as many matchups as possible with its squad. good team to quickly pass low ladder.

Similar variation as above however slight change of sets and team slots here. On this team it is Sub SD Hawlucha while the above one has DD or Agility + 3 attacks Thundurus-T. On this team, Dragonite runs a DD set with Dragonium Z while on the above variant it runs a Band set.

This Balance variant of Flying also saw good usage in week 1 in my opinion and it is pretty solid. Landorus-T is Speed control of the team with Rocks while Gliscor and Zapdos take the Defogger role. Band Dragonite and Mega Charizard Y wallbreaker core and defensive Celesteela to wear down teams.
There were more variants of Balance Flying on Ladder with Mega Charizard Y and Mega Aerodactyl.
I miss 3 years ago..

Just to make sure the rules are 100% clear (I'd hate to be dq'd!), can you tell us which of the following scenarios would be considered boosting:

1) Player A, using ghost, queues into player B using dark. Player A forfeits at preview due to the MU being an autoloss.
2) Player A, using grass, queues into player B using fairy. During the game, player A gets possessed and plays like an 1000, making obvious mistakes, and loses what should be an autowin on preview.
3) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During team preview, player A disconnects and times out.
4) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During the battle, player A has to use the bathroom and loses on time.
5) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During the battle, it becomes obvious at turn 10 that the battle will last at least 1000 turns and will be a PP stall war. Players A and B agree to a draw.
6) Player A and Player B queue into each other. During the battle, player B decides to artificially stall out the game, taking forever to move, and not finishing the game when he has to, etc. Player A is in a bad position, from which he will lose 95% of the time. Player A forfeits to save time and not spend 30 minutes hoping for a small chance to win.

Thanks! Just wanting to understand what exactly counts as boosting and what doesn't.
Can a member of staff answer this? He raises some valid scenarios which might be considered as free points and after the recent events it would be great if they could clear the air about things like this.
If I was to give my opinion :
1: I think any player trying to qualify for the MLT playoffs will try no matter the matchup so this should be looked into
2: Depending on the elo of the player this might be clear boosting or just a low ladder person just choking bad
3: Happens all the time tbh so it is difficult to classify a case like this boosting
4: Like my opinion on 1, an MLTer would not even queue for a game in a case like this especially when you get games within 1/2 minutes atm
5: Usually they go through with the pp war or one forfeits so idk
6: Hope we don't have many people like player B, but to be fair he has every right to take his time

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion

None if them in particular count as boosting, although many people try to keep playing and find a way out even if they hit a bad matchup of some sort; for example, trying to win with Mimikyu against Dark and hoping the opposing player plays badly even if the matchup at hand isn't great, instead of forfeiting turn 1. Timing out is the reason the timer exists in the first place, and drawing is fine if you really do think it is necessary. Timer stalling is also an issue in itself, and is an offense subject to server punishments. Don't really see how any of them could be considered boosting though, unless its something like throwing / timing out / forfeiting intentionally in order to give the opposing player the win and boost their elo. Sorry for the late response.

To add onto the discussion I've been laddering with Water, which works pretty well until you get something like Grass, which some people use on ladder for some reason. I've been toying with stuff like Rain offense, as well as bulky offense with Choice Scarf Rotom-W as well as fat. Also think Psychic is a nice pick on ladder right now because I haven't seen much Dark going around on ladder. On rain, I liked using Kingdra as it does well vs the more offensive stuff people like to spam like HO Flying, where you outspeed everything under Rain, as well as Dragon Dance Dragonite at +2, HO Steel without a proper Water resist where you can click your Water STAB comfortably as well as revenge kill boosted Celesteela, as well as Dragon where Dragon Pulse nails everything after Stealth Rock chip under Rain bar Mega Altaria.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)