Resource Monotype OM Mega-Thread

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Following MWP2, everyone who played at least 2 games of either Monotype AAA or Monotype STABmons in the tournament, and a few others, were invited to a (separate) chat to discuss what potentially needed to be banned for each metagame. Following the discussions, each thing discussed was put to a vote, of which the following were the results.

Monotype AAA:
Triage - 5 ban, 8 no ban, 1 abstain
Minior - 8 ban, 5 no ban, 1 abstain

Triage will not be banned, and with an 8/13 = 61.5% majority, minior will be banned.

Furthermore, as a clarification Psychic Surge is fully banned, meaning even Tapu Lele may not use it, even though it is a natural learner.

Monotype STABmons:
Magearna - 1 ban, 8 no ban, 2 abstain
Spore - 7 ban, 2 no ban, 2 abstain
Mega Pidgeot - 1 ban, 7 no ban, 3 abstain
Aerodactyl - 2 ban, 5 no ban, 4 abstain

Magearna, Mega Pidgeot, and Aerodactyl will not be banned, Spore will be banned with a 7/9 = 77.78% majority.

Furthermore, Thundurus was recently banned in regular STABmons. It will henceforce be unbanned in Monotype STABmons as its overwhelming effects are largely unseen in the Monotype metagame.

These rulings go into effect now, and will therefore be in place for Week 1 of Monotype WCoP.

Last edited:

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Trapinch was recently banned in regular LC (see here. However, Trapinch will remain unbanned in Monotype LC as it is not a constrictive force in team building due to no effective team support on Ground and it being largely repetitive without the ability to trap any particularly threatening Pokemon that the rest of its team cannot already deal with.

It does suck that Trapinch would still be outclassed by Diglett, who has a much better speed tier, ESPECIALLY for Cottonee, which it can trap and KO with Sludge Bomb to give its type a much better chance in the Grass matchup with mons like Drilbur in sand and Swinub. Of course there's the event that it can Memento, but removing it is still incredibly helpful nonetheless.

0 SpA Diglett Sludge Bomb vs. 36 HP / 40 SpD Eviolite Cottonee: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Overall, I don't really see Trapinch's presence as that important for LC Ground teams.

AAA team dump/discussion
Thought i'd drop off a couple of teams i've built for mono aaa in blt (both for qualification and for use between weeks) since I probably wont be playing future weeks due to my schedule. I had fun coming up with weird shit to use to counter typical threats of some types. I also wanted to potentially discuss/see the thoughts of other players on a couple aspects of the meta which i think could be unhealthy.

https://pokepast.es/02b5420f175d83f3
This was the team i brought for week 3 against toxanex. Originally Metariolu, Consort wanted to build a team around regenvest celesteela with the original end result having banded aerilate gyarados over mantine, but in the end i preferred mantines ability to make the team double defog + provide magic bounce support. Its fairly standard as far as aaa goes which is why i think it would make a decent sample. Char Y and Lando T provide good countermeasures to the electric mu. Char Y also helps a lot vs water, ground, and steel and can break common defensive cores on most types even without a SpA boost; and with a SpA boost is nuts, with substitute opportunities being plentiful with the pre mega elec immunity . Zapdos helps vs stuff like tapu fini and PH lax and the defensive core of celes/skarm/zap/mantine is rlly hard for most types to break down. Aerilate landot is speed control for the team. Knock > explosion to better the mu against an otherwise awful normal mu.

Another variant of this team i've made utilises unaware SpD celes and delta stream zapdos. Celes does the job of beating PH sweepers and zapdos becomes a nice tool against electric.
Replay VS Psy

https://pokepast.es/35306a86ac3f87d6
This was one of the two teams I built in week 1 to play arushiii. Again its a fairly standard team with a couple techs i wanted to point out. Psych up p2 was a countermeasure to Calm mind Stored power sweepers, with psych up handily being able to pass through sub and magic bounce. PH lax is fairly stupid in this tier and does so much work vs so many types its practically the best mon on the type in aaa.

Dazzling melo is a countermeasure to an otherwise glaring triage drain punch weakness(Braviary can handle typical drain punchers as well. Meloetta + Lop are essential in the steel mu).

In terms of tough matchups for the team. I'd say it definitely has problems with a well played celesteela and steel in general, even with mega lop. You could opt to go tbolt on melo or fire punch on snorlax to somewhat resolve this, but flying and steel usually pack ability elec immunities or fire immunities respectively so it can only do so much. I am currently experimenting with a subpunch lax set but that obv comes with its own problems. Other options include triage bewear > lop and intimidate > unaware p2

https://pokepast.es/ff3687dd7f178afa
Out of the 3 this is probably the most interesting so i'll need to do some more explaining. Empoleon, Tentacruel and Swampert make up the defensive core. Whats weird is that Emps acting as a physical wall and Swampert as the regenvester. I saw regenvest pert posted on the aaa thread and thought it would be an interesting mon to utilise on a water, being able to eat mold xurk energy ball for example, with it having a solid niche over AV manaphy given the elec immunity.

Between tenta, triple hazards and swampert elec has a tougher time than you'd initially think in this mu. Golisopod acts as a win condition of sorts but also has a typing which synergises well with the immunity core. While i dont remember exactly how i came to that spread I can say that this spread beats any tini besides band desoland 1v1/zcelebrate(which is walled by swampert). Knock off is just a general nuisance and can occaisionally catch poison heal mons off guard. Ash gren is still nuts in aaa and puts in the team on its back in the flying mu with rocks up. Band aerilate is nuts on anything with flying type and a half decent attack stat. I'll get into aerilate some more below, but anything not resisting has big trouble taking a return and lord knows you better hope you dont get a scald burn on it because facade manages to be even more stupid.

VS Ghost
VS Ice(BLT w1 game)

Now, onto potential problems with the meta. Right now, i think a couple types are made completely invalid and teambuilding is restricted too much by a couple threats. I'm not certain either way on these and if more experienced players than me could weigh in that would be great.

I am of the opinion(not necessarily strongly right now, its what i'm discussing it for). that this ability is simply uncompetitive. Looking at wcop replays, band aerilate is fairly common in a lot of mus for good reason: Insanely strong flying stab is fairly stupid and constricts teambuilding. In the replays, here, here, and to a lesser extent here you can see what happens to bulky teams when they dont bring an aerilate resist. On some types, thats not a problem(steel, flying, elec) but not even talking about types weak to flying stab(where even the most bulky neutralities get 2hko'd), water makes a nice example as it basically mandates you use 1 of rotom w or empoleon for a banded aerilate mon to not get a kill every time it comes in on a bulky build. Scald doesn't work because they just carry facade and fuck shit up even more.

No ate- has such widespread abusers like aerilate:

Aerilate - Landot, Lando, Gyarados, Salamence, Thundurus, Celesteela(maybe more i'm forgetting)
Refridgerate - Weavile, mamo(maybe?), Zeraora, Lucario - None of these are problematic for most types to deal with besides ones you'd expect(flying). Theres still countermeasures(delta stream, thick fat).
Pixilate - Koko(I'll get into that in a sec), Bulu, Entei - Bulu is not a problem due to its fairly slow speed tier. Its stabs are resisted by a decent amount of mons. Again entei can be handled by most types fairly easily.
Galvanize, Lucario - Koko, Zera, - again off the top of my head so i might be forgetting, but just use a bulky ground type lol.

In theory, a meta in which this is banned allows grass to actually become a good type. Flying remains a strong type. I think bug and fighting would become more widely used as well.I'm not decided for sure if aerilate deserves the ban but conceptually, i think thats a better metagame for sure.

Removed till i come up w a better argument than 'make dark viable lol'

...maybe i care too much about mono aaa:pikuh:

Last edited:
Hello all, it is time we talk about the biggest issue in the Monotype Stabmons tier. This issue would be the pure existence of Magearna, Mega Medicham, and to a lesser extent Keldeo.

So let's start off with an overall count from the current big monotype tournament: WCOP. In the 24 games up to this point, there have been 21 games that involve either a Mega Medicham or a Magearna. That is a crisp 88% of games up to week 6 have had one of the two. This is entirely too centralizing, as many types lack proper counterplay to these.
So, now that we have a usage number, we can start to look at other things.

First I will focus on Medicham. Medicham by itself invalidates the usage of both Ice and Rock, while to a lesser extent making Dark, Poison, Normal, Grass, and nearly all types of "Bulky" offense significantly less viable. Medicham is banned in regular monotype due to its lack of switch-ins and viable counterplay for a number of types, and it is just as bad in STAB too. I am sure others can add more commentary on specific matchups this mon just obliterates. Onto some calcs though.

Steel:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 229-271 (57.6 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 289-342 (96 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 186-219 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Doublade hard walls

Electric:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 309-364 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 176 Def Zapdos: 256-303 (66.6 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 262-310 (62 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Flying:
-1 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-Therian: 142-168 (37.1 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 229-271 (57.6 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 283-334 (87.6 - 103.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (Killed after Multiscale break)
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 244 HP / 20 Def Gliscor: 220-261 (62.5 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Ice:
Literally everything dies

Rock:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 292-346 (67.4 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dark:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Mandibuzz: 229-270 (54.1 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Sableye hard walls.

Fairy:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 240-283 (69.9 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 241-285 (85.7 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 250-295 (78.8 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Water:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 378-446 (124.3 - 146.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 325-384 (80.4 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert-Mega: 220-261 (54.4 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Normal:
-1 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Staraptor: 196-232 (52.8 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 338-398 (90.3 - 106.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Dragon:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 196-231 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 148-175 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

Poison:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Muk-Alola: 408-480 (98.7 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 342-404 (93.9 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Grass:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 342-404 (93.9 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Photon Geyser vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 241-285 (85.7 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
This is pretty much every relevant calc for this tier. Obviously a type like Ghost or Psychic is going to be able to have definitive, consistent counterplay, but still, 16/18 types effectively lack a way to consistently beat it, without teambuilding being restricted in some way.

In conclusion, ban Mega Medicham

Now, for Magearna. This one I am going to keep a lot shorter, because there is simply no reason I can think of to do calcs. This mon is 100% brainless, with the exception of like, fire, this Pokemon can make any matchup a winnable one given proper sets. Dark, Dragon, Fighting, Fairy, Normal, Psychic, Ice, Rock, Bug, Grass, Steel, Rock, and Electric all have legitimate possibilities of losing to a Magearna in nearly any game. This Pokemon is just far too centralizing to be allowed. The amount of counterplay to Magearna is just few and far between. I have no further comments, if it is asked for I will provide calcs but simply knowing anything about the tier is more than enough info. Ban Magearna as well. If more reasoning IS requested or needed I will supply

I will perhaps do an investigation on Keldeo in the future, though I think for now it is okay.

Anyways, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

0dbaa9ac6b46e8841028a546ca339504058ffe63_00.gif

I’m new to this particular thread. This is a team I threw together earlier

Format: Monotype STABmons (mono Ice)

Refrigerator (Sandslash-Alola) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Slush Rush
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

My Chain (Aurorus) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Power Gem
- Earth Power

White Witch (Froslass) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick

Pothead (Glalie-Mega) @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headbutt
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Moldy Bacon (Mamoswine) @ Icium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Slashy McSlasherson (Weavile) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit

I’m aware that this team is absolutely horrible.
*Delete this if this isn't allowed*

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Hello everyone! With numerous team tours and various Monothreat related events happening since the last Monothreat VR change, we thought now would be the perfect time to revise it for the last time due to SWSH coming out later this year. As always, if anyone has questions for the reason why we changed a certain Pokemon, feel free to message me! Although this is the last major remodel, notify me if you think we missed a Pokemon or one is deserving of a new rank. (Please use proof with your nominations if you do so in order for us to have a conversation if need be.) Thanks to Moosical, Nexecutioner, and Kev for making all the changes with me!​
Dark
- Alolan Muk (C -> B)
- Mega Tyranitar (B -> A)

Electric
- Zeraora (UR -> A)

Fire
- Emboar (D-> C)

Flying
- Celesteela (A-> S)
- Mantine (UR-> D)
- Pelipper (UR-> D)

Ghost
- Blacephalon (C-> B)
- Decidueye (C-> B)

Grass
- Shaymin (B -> A)
- Virizion (B -> A)

Ground
- Diggersby (B -> A)
- Mega Steelix (UR -> C)

Ice
- Kyurem (UR -> A)
- Sneasel (UR -> D)

Normal
- Mega Pidgeot (UR -> B)
- Meloetta (A -> S)
- Porygon-Z (A -> S)
- Snorlax (D -> C)
- Zangoose (D -> C)

Poison
- Haunter (UR -> D)
- Nihilego (A -> S)
- Whirlipede (UR -> D)

Psychic
- Alakazam (UR -> C)
- Jirachi (C -> A)
- Meloetta (A -> S)
- Slowbro (D -> B)

Rock
- Mega Aerodactyl (B -> A)

Steel
- Lucario (B -> A)
- Mega Scizor (UR -> D)

Water
- Golisopod (D -> C)
- Mega Sharpedo (D -> C)
- Mega Swampert (UR -> D)
- Pelipper (UR -> D)
- Rotom-Wash (B -> A)
Bug
- Buzzwole (C -> D)
- Durant (B -> C)
- Heracross (C -> D)
- Ninjask (C -> UR)
- Scolipede (B -> C)

Dark
- Alolan Persian (D -> UR)
- Incineroar (A -> B)
- Malamar (C -> D)
- Mega Absol (B -> C)
- Scrafty (C -> D)
- Sharpedo (D -> UR)
- Zoroark (D -> UR)

Dragon
- Guzzlord (D -> UR)
- Salamence (B -> C)
- Tyrantrum (C -> D)

Electric
- Luxray (C -> D)
- Magneton (D -> UR)
- Raikou (A -> B)
- Rotom (C -> UR)
- Rotom-Heat (C -> D)
- Rotom-Mow (A -> B)
- Tapu Koko (S -> A)

Fighting
- Cobalion (A -> B)

Fire
- Chandelure (C -> D)
- Darmanitan (B -> C)
- Entei (B -> C)
- Magcargo (D -> UR)
- Salazzle (D-> UR)

Flying
- Giscor (D -> UR)
- Mandibuzz (C -> D)
- Mega Aerodactyl (S -> A)
- Tornadus (D -> UR)

Ghost
- Drifblim (D-> UR)
- Froslass (B -> C)
- Golurk (A -> B)

Grass
- Alolan Exeggutor (D -> UR)
- Amoonguss (A-> B)
- Gourgeist (D -> UR)
- Mega Abomasnow (S -> A)
- Tapu Bulu (D-> UR)

Ground
- Gastrodon (B -> C)
- Gliscor (D-> UR)
- Landorus (S -> A)
- Mega Swampert (A -> B)
- Torterra (B -> C)

Ice
- Crabominable (A -> B)
- Lapras (D -> UR)

Normal
- Bewear (S -> A)
- Mega Audino (C-> D)
- Mega Lopunny (S -> A)
- Silvally (D -> UR)

Poison
- Nidoking (S-> A)
- Toxapex (B -> C)

Psychic
- Bruxish (C -> D)
- Hoopa (C -> D)
- Latias (D-> UR)
- Latios (D-> UR)
- Mega Alakazam (B -> C)
- Mega Slowbro (B -> C)
- Necrozma (A -> B)

Rock
- Aerodactyl (C -> UR)
- Carracosta (S -> A)
- Diancie (D -> UR)
- Lycanroc-Midnight (C -> UR)
- Mega Tyranitar (D -> UR)
- Rhyperior (A -> B)
- Shuckle (A -> B)
- Solrock (D -> UR)
- Stakataka (B -> C)

Steel
- Excadrill (A -> B)
- Jirachi (A -> B)
- Magneton (B -> C)
- Mega Steelix (D -> UR)
- Metagross (C -> D)

Water
- Alomomola (D-> UR)
- Mega Slowbro (C -> D)
- Tentacruel (C-> D)

In my never-ending quest to make STABmono Flying players regret using the sample, I have created another team, this time of the Electric variety!

Jolteon @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Judgment
- Electrify
- Substitute

Golem-Alola @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Accelerock
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Ascent
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Electrify

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Defog
- Toxic
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Freeze-Dry
- Strength Sap

A breakdown of the team:
- Rotom-Wash is a beast. It can run just about any move you want, but I went with Scald for extra PP as opposed to Steam Eruption, Freeze-Dry to deal with pesky Water-Ground types like Seismitoad that otherwise go unchecked, Volt Switch for EZ pivots, and of course Strength Sap. Other options include Searing Shot and Blue Flare for Ferrothorn, Oblivion Wing for MVenu, or Sleep Powder to take care of a potential threat.
- Zapdos can take any hit neutral hit from +3 Yanmega and answer back with a KO. It also effectively checks Scarf Water Spout Keldeo, and heals off most of the damage taken, crippling it for the rest of the match.
- Jolteon's amazing speed tier, access to judgement ice and ability of Volt Absorb make it a great user of Electrify + Substitute. Oddly enough, Electrify works on ground types so not even Lando can escape the stalling ability of Jolteon. However, Judgement Ice removes the need to stall against almost any ground types.
- Thundurus-I is an offensive powerhouse. It punishes the use of Kings Shield, Strength Sap and Parting Shot, some of the most useful moves in STABmons, and can break down even the toughest of walls with its dual stab + Knock Off for annoying Chanseys. Watch out though as even +1 defense isn't enough to save you from hits from Aerodactyl.
- As if three ground immunities on this team wasn't enough, I stuck Air Balloon Alolem on this team to deal with Scizor, Choiced Exca, and Ferrothorn. Also Stealth Rocks. If you dont have enough bulk on this team for your liking, Stunfisk gets SR and Shore Up for a decent specially defensive option.
- I legitimately didn't know what to use in the last slot, and I liked the way Zera's fighting coverage fit with this team. Consider options like Galvantula for extra speed control with webs and the option to Quiver Dance or Magnezone for insanely powerful Doom Desires.

Big Weaknesses:
- Has difficulty dealing with scarfers and speed boosters.
- If Rotom dies early, offensive Lando-T obliterates this team.
- Help I have no idea how to kill Magearna, and I don't think any of this checks Medi-Mega or Mawile-Mega none of whom should be legal except maybe Mawile but whatever

Last edited:
I had a go at making a Monotype Ubers team the other day. I haven't been able to test it against any other players yet, so I have only been able to use it against the bot. Here it is:

Click sprites for Importable.

It's a simple offensive team built around Mega Salamence and Naganadel sweeping. Dialga's set looks very weird, but there's method in my madness: with Assault Vest and the given EVs, it always lives a +2 Focus Blast from Geomancy Xerneas even after Rocks, and then OHKOes it back with Metal Burst. Arceus gives me a Defogger, which I need with Reshiram and Mega Salamence. Lastly, Reshiram gives me a Pokemon able to check Steel and Ice teams, 2 types Dragon normally struggles with.

Hey all, I'm back for another forum post about Monotype Stabmons. This time I hope to gain your attention and fix a couple of problems that very clearly plague the tier, and I am clearly not the only one who feels that the tier could use some balancing. Someone already stole my thunder and did a post for calcs on MMedi (which I thoroughly endorse banning), so I thought I should do some calcs focusing on offensive Magearna. Before we get started, lets make some things clear.

I will try and focus on Magearna's defensive checks i.e. mons that can switch in, avoid a 2HKO, and hopefully force it out. Due to Magearna's flexibility, I am going to make the assumption that, whether it's running Trick Room or Shift Gear, it'll probably be outspeeding whatever switches into it.

I will not be talking about Magearna's defensive sets and the mons that break it, because Magearna could always just... switch into one of the many defensive teammates it can have and eat your attack for basically free. Team support like Clefable, Screens Klefki, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Heatran and Doublade make most attempts to kill Magearna without a trapper futile. Also basically every trapper in the tier dies to Focus Blast or Moonblast after rocks so it hardly matters. With that out of the way lets go down the types alphabetically and look at what types do and don't beat this Chuckie rip-off.
Bug
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 212+ SpD Scizor-Mega: 98-116 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 0.5% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 131-155 (46.6 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Araquanid: 93-109 (27.4 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Dark
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 222-264 (73 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Muk-Alola: 112-133 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (sadly, CoilMuk does basically nothing to Magearna so you have to run AV and sacrifice one of the best offensive sets on the type to check Magearna. Also running AV means you lose to Diancie-Mega after minimal chip damage)
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 324-384 (76.5 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Dragon
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs Literally anything on Dragon 9999-9999 (100%) -- You win the video game

Electric
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 120-142 (31.2 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery.
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Fairy
I don't know what fairy is supposed to do against Magearna other than send out your own Magearna and hope they aren't running steel stab but whatever
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 116-137 (38.5 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Fighting
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 344-406 (89.1 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Fire
Volcarona sets up on Magearna for free but gets forced out by Heatran, so I'd say this one goes in favor of Fire
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 248-294 (76.7 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Fight Z OHKOs

Flying
252 SpA Magearna Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Mantine: 184-220 (49.1 - 58.8%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zapdos: 120-142 (31.2 - 36.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery but no one runs Dos or Mantine on STABs Flying
252 SpA Magearna Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Celesteela: 152-180 (38.1 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Any Magearna not packing Volt Switch loses to Celesteela, but if its running Calm Mind it can boost past any Beak Blast/Roost/Defog/Kings Shield Celesteela

Ghost
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 89-105 (27.8 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Jellicent: 109-129 (27.1 - 32%) -- 39.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 222-264 (73 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Grass
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Ferrothorn: 196-232 (55.6 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Venusaur hard walls and wins if it has HP Fire

Ground
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 132-156 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Ground has no issues with Mag

Ice
See "Dragon" section

Normal
Chansey hard walls, P2 and Type:Null check it.

Poison
Venu hard walls
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Muk-Alola: 112-133 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 99-117 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 98.7% chance to 3HKO

Psychic
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Victini: 77-91 (22.5 - 26.6%) -- 29.2% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Jirachi: 101-119 (25 - 29.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 218-260 (59.8 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rock
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 316-373 (72.8 - 85.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 348-412 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Magearna Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cradily: 248-292 (65.9 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Rhyperior and Cradily dodge 2HKO's under sand but if you need weather AND speed to be in your favor just for a CHANCE to kill Magearna there might be an issue.

Steel
Doublade, Cele(with steel stab), Heatran(if it goes first) and opposing Magearnas hard wall Magearna

Water
252 SpA Magearna Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Azumarill: 129-153 (31.9 - 37.8%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Trapper Azu can kill Magearna ONLY Mag it doesn't run Volt Switch
Pex shrugs off any unboosted hit, but volt switching into another threat like Ferro or Magnezone could prove troublesome.
252 SpA Magearna Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 160+ SpD Mantine: 184-220 (49.1 - 58.8%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Honestly, I will admit that the calcs aren't as clearly damning as with Mega Medi, since there are mons that can actually switch into Magearna unboosted. However unlike Mega Medi, Magearna can boost its speed, SpD and SpA with different moves, all of which mean it can make mincemeat of some of its softer checks such as Zapdos, Muk-Alola and Jellicent. Of course the hardest defensive checks are easily disposed of by teammates, specifically those with knock off since eviolite users make offensive Magearna sweat. However, Magearna could always be running a defensive set, so your opponent never knows which checks to keep around since only a few mons can check both (Heatran and Doublade come to mind.) I personally find this mon to be horrific to face, and very unhealthy for almost any monotype meta. In conclusion, I really want you to ban this thing.

Last edited:
Hey all, I've been working on a STABmono Fairy TR team to, hopefully, pull back the curtain on how busted our two unbanned Steel/Fairy types are, but unfortunately I've run into a roadblock. Y'see, fairy gets so many good slow Pokemon to abuse that its impossible to pick six for the job. In this thread I will post some sets and hopefully some of you can help whittle this squad down to six well-knit options.

Sylveon @ Earth Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Judgment
- Milk Drink
- Heal Bell

Honestly this might be the weakest of the options available, but its rare access to strong ground moves and ability to act as a cleric for MMaw, Mimi and Bulu is one of the reasons I heavily considered this Pokemon. Also gaining access to Wish, Calm Mind or different Judgement types such as Fire to lure in Ferro, Steela and Sciz was considered.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fire Fang
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

THIS Pokemon. is legal. And it doesn't even need stabmons move compatibility to be relevant. Its THAT good. Also even without Intimidate it eats a Gear Grind from MSciz barring no critical hits.
252 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Gear Grind (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mawile-Mega: 224-266 (73.6 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mimikyu @ Red Card/Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Brave Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief
- Play Rough
- Trick Room

A staple of Trick Room Offense on both of its types, Mimikyu's ability to set up unpunished is very appreciated by its teammates. It also hard counters speed boost Yanmega by stealing its boosts with Spectral Thief, then either hitting it hard with another thief, forcing it out with Red Card or Shadow Sneaking it to death if it has Life Orb. Sadly LO Mimi needs to roll max on Spectral (6.3% chance) and do 95 damage or more with Sneak (37.5% chance) to hit that important KO, so Red Card is probably better for that role if you want it to properly counter Yanmega.

Magearna @ Electrium Z/Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
Quiet Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room

Credit goes to Monotype Voice Preschooler Mia for the set :)

So why am I making YET ANOTHER post involving Magearna, this time with a set I never even touched on in my dedicated "Please-Ban-Magearna-I-Have-A-Family" post? Well because this one is a pure dedicated Flying counter! No mon on Flying underspeeds Magearna, and you could even opt for Shuca to allow you to set up on Lando-T. However, Electrium Z's ability to break Celesteela faster makes this a more viable alternative, and Magearna can likely lure Lando-T in just by existing if your opponent hasnt already scouted your set, meaning an easy ice beam. However now that I've revealed the set people might know not to do that... whoops.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off/Return
- Belly Drum

Yep. This thing is now an option for you in Trick Room, and it even underspeeds Pex so you can blast it before it hazes you. Knock Off vs Return is an arguement to be had, where Knock Off is more widely useful but Return hits MVenu and Pex harder, so its your call

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 288-339 (94.7 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 339-399 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Filler (Natures Madness/HP Ice are my go-tos but you can do whatever)
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room

Yeah I'm not gonna lie to you gamers. I don't super like this thing in STABmonos, even here in TR. Its got yet another ground weakness, its got a dreaded quad weakness to steel making it a dead slot in that matchup and against lots of leads, only one recovery move in moonlight which EVERY OTHER FAIRY MON GETS HERE, and Fairy has no need for more priority when it already has MMaw and Mimi. So why run this thing? Stealth Rock to break Dnite Multiscale and cripple Yanmega. However it dodges an OHKO from Defensive Lando-T PBlades which is kinda nice I guess.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Brave Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Zen Headbutt
- Stone Edge

What can I say. Its your average Band Bulu set except now it runs -Speed to thrive in TR (even though it still gets undersped by Pex in TR, which is why I didn't opt for SubSD or something). This is your only ground resistance that is even remotely relevant, so you'd better make it count if you run more than two ground weaknesses, which you probably will because of our next Pokemon's ability to help out Azumarill

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- King's Shield/Foul Play/Anchor Shot?
- Spikes
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Now I know what you're probably thinking: why on earth do you want Spikes Klefki in a meta dominated by Flying types? And my answer is idk I just wanted hazards and I dont super like Diancie on this team for rocks, especially since 3 TR setters seems a little excessive. Whatever, screens help vs Steel, and it allows Azumarill the ability to set up Belly Drum nearly uncontested.

Hopefully I can read your responses and cut two Pokemon off this list to make it a rounded squad of eight. More than likely Sylveon and either Diancie of Klefki will get cut, but I hope that their potential utility is recognized here. Thank you in advance for the assistance. :)

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heya! There is an issue with the code for "om. cap" or however it is, it unbans everything listed except Deoxys-Speed. DoW

Mono ghost stabmons because SPOOKTOBER

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Metronome
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Knock Off

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Long Reach
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Horn Leech
- Smack Down
- U-turn

Cofagrigus @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hex
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Anchor Shot
- Shadow Force

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Horn Leech
- Heavy Slam
- Rapid Spin

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Lava Plume
- Hex

Mono ghost stabmons because SPOOKTOBER

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Metronome
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Knock Off

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Long Reach
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Horn Leech
- Smack Down
- U-turn

Cofagrigus @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hex
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Anchor Shot
- Shadow Force

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Horn Leech
- Heavy Slam
- Rapid Spin

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Lava Plume
- Hex
Just in case this isn't a joke team...

On a Ghost team, every physical attacker should run Spectral Thief. It's the strongest physical Ghost move (bar Shadow Force, but takes 2 turns) and its secondary effect is insane. It can let you stop slower boosters dead in their tracks.

Mega Banette sucks. No argument, it's fucking terrible. Mega Sableye is a far superior choice on Ghost teams for its Dark and Ghost neutrality, better bulk and Magic Bounce. In STABmons it can use Parting Shot to safely bring in a teammate.

As you already have Dhelmise, you don't need Decidueye - its typing overlaps and there's not much reason to run both. As you're already covered for hazard removal, why not run Marowak-A or Golurk in that slot instead? Both can set up Stealth Rock and Spikes, and both benefit immensely from this meta, getting Shadow Sneak to patch up their low Speed. Golurk can abuse No Guard Precipice Blades, while Marowak has STAB V-create, which is so strong it cleanly 2HKOes SubCM Suicune after Stealth Rock.

Cofagrigus also sucks. Replace it with Mimikyu as that also helps in the Dark matchup. Spectal Thief coupled with Disguise is broken, it'll stop just about any sweeper that isn't Normal type or has Mold Breaker.

Not a fan of Doublade personally, but it can work with the right support. Again, Spectral Thief. Also I'd go with Iron Tail (No Guard) or Sunsteel Strike over Anchor Shot, as they're more powerful and the latter ignores abilities. As its STABs have almost perfect neutral coverage, you honestly don't need Sacred Sword most of the time. If you do need it, drop the Steel attack as Ghost + Fighting has perfect neutral coverage.

Dhelmise honestly looks fine, although again, Spectral Thief. You could ditch Assault Vest and give it Strength Sap if you want more longevity.

Blacephalon is unbanned in Monotype STABmons, so just use that instead. It's faster and more powerful. I'd recommend a Choice Scarf set with Eruption, Blue Flare, Moongeist Beam and either Trick or Hidden Power Ice in the final slot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)