Other Metagames [Monotype] Overpowered? (Dragon Mono, peak #13)

Overpowered?

Introduction:

Hey guys, i'm here with my first RMT on smogon. So I've been toying with this team for quite a while on the ladder and I gotta say its been pretty successful. I got around 1600 elo a few days ago (proof of peak: http://i.imgur.com/nWO8n6E.jpg btw forgive my shitty gxe; I test my teams on the same alt lmao;/) Anyway, I haven't got much else to say so hey lets start the RMT.

Teambuilding Process:

I originally built this team to test out WP DD Dragonite on Dragon. I've got to say its been pretty successful but there were times where I wished I had Lum Berry instead.

Garchomp is the support every dragon team loves to have. This thing's my lead 90% of the time and it solo's types like bug.

I opted for Latias as my third pokemon. It offers excellent utility between healing wish and defog, both of which greatly support Dragonite.

Next up, I added Salamence which is, imo, the best scarfer available to Dragon. It has yet to disappoint me and helps a lot vs opposing dragon. Its also great as a late game cleaner.

What dragon team is complete without Kyurem Black? This monster tears apart flying monos single-handedly and is much too powerful to ignore.

Another great support pokemon, AV Dragalge helps a TON vs fairies and is a great switch in to special attacks while hitting like a truck at the same time.

The Team:

Luffy (Dragonite) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

The star of the show, Dragonite is a beast if you can get a few DDs off which is surprisingly easy if you can preserve multiscale. DD Dragonite is an extremely underrated threat and is sometimes even unexpected because of the rise in popularity of Bandnite. Earthquake lets me deal with steel types besides Skarmory, while Extreme Speed is really nice to pick off the kill vs weakened pokemon.

Zoro (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

A pretty standard lead Garchomp set. 92 speed lets it hit 263 which outspeeds Breloom and Bisharp which is pretty nice to have overall. Fire Blast hits skarmory and ferrothorn while dragon tail is excellent for phazing. Between Earthquake and Fire Blast, Garchomp makes quick work of steel teams. Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin punish physical attacks pretty badly.

Robin (Hydreigon) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

I'm not entirely sure about this slot and I'm thinking of replacing it back to Latias. Hydreigon is nice to have vs psychic. Fire Blast hits steel types while Flash Cannon reks fairies. This also completes my double scarf core with Salamence but it doesn't do much for the team compared to Latias.

Nami (Latias) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish

I switched out Hydreigon for Latias after reading the comments. Latias supports Dragonite greatly with Healing Wish and Defog. Draco Meteor w/ Life Orb hits hard while psyshock bops spdef walls.

Sanji (Salamence) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

The second scarfer of the team, Salamence is EXTREMELY underrated. Its a great cleaner which just clicks outrage once you wear down its checks. Its also my best vs Mega Gardevoir but gets walled by Slowbro anyway. Moxie allows it to turn the tables of the match if you can get it in vs a pokemon you outspeed which is at low enough health.

Franky (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Substitute

A generic pokemon with an ungeneric set, this set may seem extremely weird yet it reks so many unprepared teams. Substitute can be clutch if you can predict your opponent to switch out expecting a scarf. BoltBeam coverage destroys flying types and I went for roost > outrage to increase its longevity.

Sogeking (Dragalge) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Dragalge is the glue that holds the team together. It forms a great core w/ Garchomp which punishes physical attackers while this walls pretty much any special attacker without psyshock. Draco Meteor hits HARD and Sludge Wave is the more spammable attack. Focus Blast bops steel types and even though it lacks power, HP Fire is great coverage cteaming steel for hitting stuff like scizor who try to set up on you.

: Mega Gardevoir plows through my entire team. Iron Tail Salamence is like the only thing I have for it and my opponent can just click Slowbro at that so thats sad.

: Kyurem Black forces me to sac at least one pokemon whenever it comes in so I can go into Salamence/Hydreigon to revenge kill it.

: Togekiss is the most infuriating thing ever. My only proper counter is sub Kyub which can't really switch in to dazzling gleam either. Dragalge can also take care of it but thats only if it doesn't paraflinch me to death which is unlikely knowing my luck.

: If I let mega Sableye set up, it can be infuriating to take out. Sub Kyub is a check, however shaky. Garchomp can Dragon Tail it out but besides those two, my team usually can't cope with Mega Sab.

If this spoiler doesn't work, I'm going to personally find and kill Dow.

For all the nerds who want to steal my team:

Luffy (Dragonite) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Zoro (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

Nami (Latias) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish

Sanji (Salamence) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail

Franky (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Substitute

Sogeking (Dragalge) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I'll try to make the list as short as possible because I don't have much time left; If I forgot about you, don't get angry just pm me I'll add you :]

LegendaryBoy, first shoutout to you of course you're the one who brought me into monotype and its been a great experience trying to git gud with you lmao ;]

vlmufa, ah the nerd who always tries to cteam me yet still loses every time jk jk you're a great player and I hate your stupid fairies

TheAce22, hate lucky players smh ill just shoutout you so you can't bug me anymore ;/ hmu w/ a r8 if real

Articuno I, I promised to give you a shoutout so here it is :D

Joshz, esteemed rmt voice please have a look at my team senpai

Other shoutouts I'm tired of writing lol forgive me

Stunfisk The Great, dusk raimon, Dream Eater Gengar, madman404, Wyn

I think those are the only ones that have a smogon so yeah gimme a rate imo :D

Edit: Woops, almost forgot scpinion add this to the beginners teams section y/n?

Conclusion:

Phew, that took a lot of time. Still, I hope I didn't fuck up the sprites lmao. Anyway this team seemed pretty solid when I used it but there's definitely room for improvement. Btw, the names are from One Piece.​

Last edited:
I'm not really a monotype expert, but I'll try to give a decent rate:

Between Salamence, Kyurem-Black, and most importantly Dragonite's Multiscale, I think you need to have some sort of hazard removal. Getting Latias back on the team seems great imo. I don't really know what to replace it for, but as you said, probably Hydreigon.

I don't really have much else to say, as I said before, I'm not the greatest at monotype. Maybe consider Lum Berry on Dragonite but I think the main change is getting Latias back on the team.

Hey bro, nice dragons! I don't have any major critiques, besides putting Latias or Latios on for defog, which is extremely vital for preserving kyurem, dragonite, abs salamence health. Otherwise, congrats on the peak! :)

Great team B33. I've been also experimenting with dragons lately (salamence in particular) and they are fun to play with. As said before, this team needs hazard removal since half your team is weak to rocks. At last I would recommend changing Dragonite's EV's into a bulkier verson.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

This spread makes Dragonite able to tank more hits, possibly for WP or anything really. It allows Dragonite to survive an icicle crash from a Mamoswine and shakes off stone edge from Terrakion leaving Dragonite with a good amount of HP so that it cannot get revenge killed as easily. The speed EV's are enough to outspeed Terrakion Diancie and Lati after a DD.

Other than that thats a great team and grats on your peak skrub. wish my Dragons worked just as good :[

I'm not really a monotype expert, but I'll try to give a decent rate:

Between Salamence, Kyurem-Black, and most importantly Dragonite's Multiscale, I think you need to have some sort of hazard removal. Getting Latias back on the team seems great imo. I don't really know what to replace it for, but as you said, probably Hydreigon.

I don't really have much else to say, as I said before, I'm not the greatest at monotype. Maybe consider Lum Berry on Dragonite but I think the main change is getting Latias back on the team.
Thanks for the rate man, I'm actually seriously considering changing Hydreigon to Latias now. Also, I'd rather keep WP on Dragonite because, like I said, its the main reason I built this team.

Hey bro, nice dragons! I don't have any major critiques, besides putting Latias or Latios on for defog, which is extremely vital for preserving kyurem, dragonite, abs salamence health. Otherwise, congrats on the peak! :)
Ty stun, what do you think can be a good Latios set with defog? I never actually used Latios for defog over Latias.

Great team B33. I've been also experimenting with dragons lately (salamence in particular) and they are fun to play with. As said before, this team needs hazard removal since half your team is weak to rocks. At last I would recommend changing Dragonite's EV's into a bulkier verson.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

This spread makes Dragonite able to tank more hits, possibly for WP or anything really. It allows Dragonite to survive an icicle crash from a Mamoswine and shakes off stone edge from Terrakion leaving Dragonite with a good amount of HP so that it cannot get revenge killed as easily. The speed EV's are enough to outspeed Terrakion Diancie and Lati after a DD.

Other than that thats a great team and grats on your peak skrub. wish my Dragons worked just as good :[
That seems like a nice idea, I'll try it out, thanks mang ;]

Thanks for the rate man, I'm actually seriously considering changing Hydreigon to Latias now. Also, I'd rather keep WP on Dragonite because, like I said, its the main reason I built this team.

Ty stun, what do you think can be a good Latios set with defog? I never actually used Latios for defog over Latias.

That seems like a nice idea, I'll try it out, thanks mang ;]
The only difference would be more power>healing wish/some bulk. I'll pass you a quick set

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam / Energy Ball / Surf
- Defog

Love this team bro. I almost won drag vs fairy. It was 3-1 and i had lati, kyu and mence. He had mega diancie. I fucking missed iron tail and lost...
Solid team tho, Dragalge is a monster in Drag VS fairy :D

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, I always like seeing more Dragalge and less random Scarf Latios on Dragon teams.
I noticed that you seem to be really weak to Psychic teams without Hydreigon, as no Choice Band Dragonite means that it'll very tough to break through the Mew/Slowbro Core. Because of this, and the fact that Latias already does a good enough job checking things that Dragalge does (like Keldeo), I suggest changing Dragalge to a more offensive set.

Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe to outspeed Hippowdon or 116 / 252 / 140 to outspeed Clefable
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

This set lets you wallbreak Psychic teams easier, along with putting in a lot of work vs Water teams and Dark teams as well.
Toxic Spikes are very helpful as just one layer makes it so much easier to break the Psychic core, and Dragon Fang gives enough power to muscle through powerful walls:
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 368-434 (93.4 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Mew: 260-308 (64.3 - 76.2%)
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 334-394 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Cool team, I always like seeing more Dragalge and less random Scarf Latios on Dragon teams.
I noticed that you seem to be really weak to Psychic teams without Hydreigon, as no Choice Band Dragonite means that it'll very tough to break through the Mew/Slowbro Core. Because of this, and the fact that Latias already does a good enough job checking things that Dragalge does (like Keldeo), I suggest changing Dragalge to a more offensive set.

Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe to outspeed Hippowdon or 116 / 252 / 140 to outspeed Clefable
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

This set lets you wallbreak Psychic teams easier, along with putting in a lot of work vs Water teams and Dark teams as well.
Toxic Spikes are very helpful as just one layer makes it so much easier to break the Psychic core, and Dragon Fang gives enough power to muscle through powerful walls:
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 368-434 (93.4 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Mew: 260-308 (64.3 - 76.2%)
252+ SpA Draco Plate Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 334-394 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Thank you, that seems like a very interesting change, I'll be sure to implement it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)