Move Priority, DP

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
SWChill said:
What determines the priority of switches?
First person to input their command switches first. It's been this way since RBY, though it didn't actually mattered until Advance.

Unlike in GSC, it is the faster phazer that phazes. In GSC, a Pokemon had to go last for phazing to work, so if a Tyranitar with 1 Curse and a Tyranitar with no Curses both used Roar, the non-Cursed Tyranitar would go first, and Roar would fail, and then the Cursed Tyranitar would go, and phaze out the other Tyranitar. In Advance and DP, however, the faster phazer uses Roar / Whirlwind, sending the enemy away, thus giving them no chance to try and Roar / Whirlwind you.
Just curious...why would the first roar fail? In GSC roar would only work if a pokemon went last?

Also, has anyone gotten better information on whether quick claw is in fact 1/3 activation, or what the percentage is?

Finally, this is a retarded question, but just to make sure, NO moves (quick attack, etc.) hit before switching besides pursuit, correct?

*edit* Finally, for completeness, does the focus punch charge message happen before pursuit if a switch has occurred?
i.e. tightening focus, pursuit, helping hand, switch, in order.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First person to input their command switches first. It's been this way since RBY, though it didn't actually mattered until Advance.
It matters in GSC if a Pokemon will die from Spikes or status as they switch in, and in RBY if a Pokemon dies from status (Poison and Burn are so rare, there, that this is uncommon).

Oh, and another possibly stupid question about priority -- if you pursuit someone using baton pass, teleport, or U-turn, you also go first, right?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just curious...why would the first roar fail? In GSC roar would only work if a pokemon went last?

Yes. Roar and Whirlwind only worked if the enemy went first. If you go first, Roar / Whirlwind fails, then they Roar / Whirlwind (there were also fewer priority levels; Vital Throw and Roar / Whirlwind had the same priority, so one strategy was a Curse Machamp with Vital Throw: Curse up so you're slower, then Vital Throw so they can't phaze you. I, myself, have used a few Curse + Roar Pokemon).

Also, has anyone gotten better information on whether quick claw is in fact 1/3 activation, or what the percentage is?

My bet is that it has remained at 18.75% chance to activate, but I haven't heard of any new testing.

Finally, this is a retarded question, but just to make sure, NO moves (quick attack, etc.) hit before switching besides pursuit, correct?

Correct.

*edit* Finally, for completeness, does the focus punch charge message happen before pursuit if a switch has occurred?
i.e. tightening focus, pursuit, helping hand, switch, in order.

Focus Punch charge would still go first.

Oh, and another possibly stupid question about priority -- if you pursuit someone using baton pass, teleport, or U-turn, you also go first, right?

I don't know about Teleport (but since it is only usable in wild battles and ends the battle, my guess is that if they're faster, that's it, the battle's over, but that's irrelevant to competitive battling, which is all I'm concerned with). With Baton Pass, however, if you're faster, you do normal damage to that Pokemon. If you're slower, they Baton Pass out, select a new Pokemon, and you do normal damage to that Pokemon. With U-Turn, if you're faster, you do normal damage to that Pokemon. If you're slower, they use U-Turn, you do double damage to that Pokemon, and then they bring in a new Pokemon.

Thanks, Obi.

And I'm a moron, apparently. I thought teleport "Switches user in trainer battles.", to quote a description...

Gah, this is hopefully my FINAL question on this:

so essentially, if you use Pursuit and they use U-Turn and you would normally go after them, Pursuit has 0.5 priority (so in Trick Room, you would have to be faster than them to get the boost, unless their Quick Claw activates or you are holding Lagging Tail / Full Incense or have the trait Stall)
If you're faster in trick room, you go last, thus getting the boost...but that would only apply if they're both "0 priority" moves, which they are...right?

I guess I didn't get what you meant by "0.5 priority" there.

so if my ninjask after 5 speed boosts uses batonpass and my opponents weavile uses pursuit, the pokemon I'm passing the speed to take normal damage?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
so if my ninjask after 5 speed boosts uses batonpass and my opponents weavile uses pursuit, the pokemon I'm passing the speed to take normal damage?
Yes. Baton Pass doesn't count as a switch- Whether the Weavile is faster than you or slower than you, Pursuit on a Baton Passer will hit regular damage. For U-Turn, Pursuit hits regular damage if the Pursuiter moves first, and does double damage if the U-turner moves first (so either way the U-Turner gets hit).

obi

formerly david stone
Gah, this is hopefully my FINAL question on this:

If you're faster in trick room, you go last, thus getting the boost...but that would only apply if they're both "0 priority" moves, which they are...right?

I guess I didn't get what you meant by "0.5 priority" there.
I tried to avoid using the terms "faster" and "slower", because under Trick Room, you want to be faster (and thus move after) to get the boost. Pokemon with Stall or those that are holding Lagging Tail / Full Incense will always get the Pursuit damage boost vs. U-Turners, unless the U-Turner also has Stall, Lagging Tail, or Full Incense (although if they both have Stall or both have Lagging Tail / Full Incense, you want to be faster to get the boost always).

Yesterday I was using a Heracross and Wish Jirachi and ended up in a sandstorm. So I used wish with Jirachi, then U-Turn (opponent was faster) and put Heracross in and Wish healed it from 6HP before sandstorm.

So Wish healing (assuming the Wish user is still alive) seems to come before sandstorm damage.

How about this for a crazy question:

2v2 battle, faster pokemon uses U-turn, but gets flinched by an even faster pokemon. At the same time, the other pokemon on the other team uses pursuit. :P

Does the pursuit happen first, then the flinch, resulting in pursuit doing move-first-double-damage and the u-turner not even moving? Or simpler, I assume pursuit can do double damage to a u-turner who then hurts themselves out of confusion if they're confused?

I just found out today that the Focus Punch charge message has a higher priority than running from battle. o.o;

obi

formerly david stone
If two Pokemon activate Quick Claw while Trick Room is in play, which Pokemon goes first?

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Metal Burst is a neat move that acts like Counter and Mirror Coat in one, but it needs to go last in order to be effective.
Copy and pasted directly from Aggron's analysis. Metal Burst has a normal priority, so you must go second for it to work.

okay, cool thanks. given aggrons speed, that shouldnt be too hard.
Along with bastiodons, anyways.. to answer obi's question I beleive that if you hold a quick claw under trick room you go first, this will need testing my theory on this is description is "there is a chance you may go FIRST when holding the quick claw".

obi

formerly david stone
My question was if two Pokemon were holding a Quick Claw under Trick Room, whether the faster or slower would go first. This was answered in the research thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)