Muk (OU) [Done!]

[OVERVIEW]

Muk is by no means a fantastic Pokemon, but it has a few unique traits that distinguish it as viable. Its large HP, Attack, and Special Defense allow it to have decent matchups versus Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune. Furthermore, its access to Curse and ability to outpace Snorlax mean that it has the potential to hold its ground against it in a one-on-one matchup. Since Muk can learn Explosion, it can be a decent fit on offensive teams centered around the move. The combination of Curse and Explosion solidifies Muk as one of the best Pokemon at forcing at least a trade, similarly to Curse + Explosion Steelix and Curse + Self-Destruct Snorlax.

However, Muk has a bad Speed tier, and as a Poison-type, it doesn't have many useful resistances. Besides Machamp without Earthquake and Heracross, it doesn't check any offensive threats well. If Muk is even slightly worn down, many faster Pokemon are capable of revenge killing it. Muk can have a hard time dealing with non-Steel-type Pokemon that resist Sludge Bomb and Explosion, which doesn't bode well, since Poison is not a great typing offensively. Pokemon like Gengar, Nidoking, Tyranitar, Golem, and Rhydon will give Muk a difficult time.

Because of this, it can be difficult to justify Muk's place on offensive teams over other Explosion users like Exeggutor and Gengar, which offer significantly more defensive utility and are more effective at luring Pokemon like Raikou, Snorlax, and Zapdos. However, Muk distinguishes itself by majorly threatening stall teams with its coverage, Toxic immunity, and ability to boost with Curse. Overall, as an Explosion user, Muk has the potential to get more than a one-for-one trade thanks to Curse, but its defensive utility is significantly lower than most other Explosion users.

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Sludge Bomb
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Explosion
move 4: Curse
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set aims to maximize Muk's potential versus top threats in the metagame like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou while also trying to cover as much ground as possible. Sludge Bomb is Muk's best STAB move, as it has strong neutral coverage, can be quite powerful with a Curse boost or two under its belt, and can spread poison decently well. Fire Blast can hit Skarmory and Steelix on the switch with high odds to 2HKO them and also hits Forretress for an OHKO. Explosion can be used in a pinch to remove most Pokemon from the battle. Curse gives Muk decent odds versus Snorlax in a one-on-one matchup and can also enable Muk to threaten Vaporeon, Machamp, Suicune, Misdreavus, and Electric-types with Sludge Bomb.

Team Options
=========

Muk fits best on offensive teams centered around Explosion. Cloyster is an important teammate that lays down Spikes for Muk, making it more difficult to switch into, and forces Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon out, like Rhydon and Golem. Vaporeon fits well with Muk, as it appreciates Muk's decent matchup versus Electric-types and ability to use Explosion. Tyranitar can use Pursuit to trap Gengar and Misdreavus, which can be nice because both Pokemon are immune to Explosion. If you're using Muk with a Pursuit trapper, a Snorlax set with Curse, Lovely Kiss, Double-Edge / Body Slam, and Rest can work effectively because Muk can serve as an emergency backup check for Electric-types in case Snorlax gets pressured while asleep. While Muk can take Thunder from Raikou and Zapdos reasonably well, it would prefer to only switch into it if necessary, as it would be forced into Explosion mind games earlier than it'd like. Muk also has some potential as a breaker on a more defensive team alongside Skarmory and Raikou, which works due to the lack of Pokemon that are able to completely wall it. Muk can support Curse Snorlax with a Fire-type move quite well, as it can often inflict poison on common checks like Rock-types and Misdreavus.

Houndoom is a niche pick, but it has decent offensive synergy with Muk because it can trap Ghost-types as well as Exeggutor and Jynx with Pursuit while resisting both of their STAB moves. In return, Houndoom appreciates Muk's Explosion to remove threats like Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, Suicune, and Vaporeon. Using Houndoom alongside Muk compounds a Ground-type weakness, however, so proceed with caution.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Giga Drain is Muk's most viable other option, enabling it to hit Rhydon and Golem for massive damage. Since Muk is faster than both of these Pokemon, it can even force them out if they're hit on the switch; it also hits Cloyster super effectively. However, without Curse, Muk will not be able to pressure Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, Suicune, Misdreavus, Vaporeon and even Psychic-less Starmie nearly as effectively. While Giga Drain alleviates pressure from the likes of Golem and Rhydon and can even serve to bait in these Pokemon, it can make Muk significantly less dangerous overall and force it to use Explosion to go for a trade much earlier in the game.

Besides Giga Drain, Muk doesn't have many other viable options. Dynamic Punch could be used to bait Tyranitar, other Rock-types, and also deal significant damage to Snorlax. Zap Cannon and Thunder can be used to spread paralysis and hit Skarmory and Cloyster, but other Pokemon are significantly better at doing this, and Fire Blast is much more consistent, especially against Forretress and Steelix. Thief can be used with no item on hand to steal a foe's item, but the loss of a coverage move or Curse is almost always not worth it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Rock- and Ground-types**: Tyranitar, Rhydon, Golem, Nidoking, and Marowak resist Sludge Bomb, shrug off Fire Blast, and can all threaten Muk with a powerful Earthquake; Rhydon, Golem, and Tyranitar additionally resist Explosion, but they would hate to get poisoned unless they carry Rest. If Tyranitar doesn't carry Earthquake, it might not be immediately threatening against Muk, which could stay in and try to inflict poison with Sludge Bomb. Rhydon and Golem resist Explosion, but they don't want to take a Giga Drain, although it's not nearly as common. Marowak and Nidoking need to watch out for Explosion, and Muk can also inflict poison on the former.

There are also a few niche defensive Rock-types that can check Muk quite well or at worst trade with it. Shuckle, Omastar, and Aerodactyl shrug off Muk's common attacks, resist Explosion, and carry Rest to cure poison from Sludge Bomb.

**Steel-types**: Skarmory and Steelix resist Explosion and are completely immune to Sludge Bomb. Steel-types need to watch out for Fire Blast, but occasionally the limited PP and accuracy can cause the move to be unreliable. While Steel-types don't check Muk well overall, they can still be very useful due to their Poison immunity and resistance to Explosion.

**Ghost-types**: Gengar and Misdreavus are immune to Explosion and shrug off all of Muk's other attacks, although Sludge Bomb can poison Misdreavus. Gengar and Misdreavus can threaten Muk with Hypnosis and even a combination of Mean Look and Perish Song, but Perish trap Misdreavus should only check Muk as a last resort, since it doesn't want to be poisoned. Without these moves, Misdreavus will struggle versus Muk because a +1 Sludge Bomb from Muk does more damage to Misdreavus than a Psychic does back to Muk. Gengar's Thunder does about as much damage to Muk as its Fire Blast does back, so this matchup without earlier-mentioned moves is about even until they trade when Gengar decides to use Explosion, assuming neither Pokemon switches out.

**Psychic-types**: Exeggutor and Jynx can hit Muk with an extremely strong Psychic or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder and Lovely Kiss. Neither of these Pokemon wants to take a Sludge Bomb or Explosion, however, so they must be careful when trying to check Muk. Starmie can switch into Muk relatively well and can 2HKO it with Psychic after Spikes while not minding Poison that much thanks to Recover; however, it risks trading itself with Muk, as Muk can often be paired with sweepers that want Starmie gone, like Vaporeon. Overall, Psychic-types can offensively threaten Muk but none can switch in safely.

**Bulky Special Attackers**: Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune can use Rest to cure poison from Sludge Bomb and wear down Muk to the point at which it will either use Explosion or be easily revenge killed by another teammate. That said, this can often be to the Muk user's advantage, as it often aims to trade with these Pokemon. Only use Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune to check Muk if you don't mind trading with it or if you have no other checks on your team.

**Umbreon**: RestTalk Umbreon can reduce Muk's Attack with Charm and check it quite well; however, it risks trading itself for Muk if the Muk user decides to use Explosion as Umbreon switches in.

**Cloyster**: Cloyster has very high Defense, so it can take advantage of Muk by setting up Spikes early-game; however, Muk could use Cloyster to set up Curse, potentially forcing it to use Explosion. Although Cloyster's Explosion doesn't OHKO Muk after one Curse boost, it still deals a large amount of damage.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Excal, 456373]]
- Quality checked by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Mafeking, 122460], [The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited:
Pokemon like Skarmory, Gengar, Nidoking, Tyranitar, Golem, Rhydon, and Marowak will give Muk a difficult time.
Since Muk's standard coverage move is Fire Blast, it doesn't have much trouble vs Skarm. Yes, it can check it but not often.
chip Tyranitar and Skarmory with Surf
not that relevant. As I stated above, you don't need to worry about Skarm. Tar will often switch out against Cloyster unless they either expect you to use Spikes, try to explode predicting a switch to e.g. an electric, or they have a coverage move like Thunderbolt to really hurt Cloyster, or another good justification for that decision to stay in.
Houndoom has unusually strong synergy with Muk because it can also use Pursuit to trap Gengar and Misdreavus, and resists both of Jynx's STAB moves; on top of that, with Roar, it can force Exeggutor into the battlefield and trap it as well, which can threaten Muk with its powerful Psychic or even its own Explosion
When you use both pokemon on the same team, you are stacking ground weaknesses (similarly to Tar). "unusually strong synergy" sounds like an exaggeration. Misdreavus doesn't check Muk that well since it's damage output is quite low (even should it have Psychic). Exeggutor and Jynx don't check Muk well even though they threaten it. It is not necessary to use Pursuit support to remove them (but of course it's still nice to have it).
Snorlax with Fire Blast pairs well with Muk because it can deal significant chip damage to Steel-types that Muk detests
Muk doesn't detest Steel-types. Skarm and Steelix are the only relevant ones and both risk getting 2HKO'd. Skarm doesn't threaten Muk heavily and Steelix gets outsped.
If you're using Muk with a Pursuit trapper, a set with Curse, Lovely Kiss, Double Edge / Body Slam, and Rest can work effectively because Muk can serve as a backup check for Electric-types.
That Lax is still a decent electric check and the way you phrased it makes it sound as if it's not.
Muk has access to Haze
I can't think of a single reason I would ever use Haze on Muk since it doesn't counter any setup mon even when having that move. I'd probably just remove it.
Rhydon and Golem resist Explosion, but don't want to take a Giga Drain
I'd add that Giga Drain is really uncommon (although I think it's definitely a viable option).
Tyranitar is generally an extremely safe switch-in because it doesn't mind any of Muk's attacks.
Mention that it still dislikes getting poisoned, similarly as Rhydon/Golem.
Gengar and Misdreavus are immune to Explosion and shrug off all of Muk's other attacks, and they can threaten Muk back with a variety of moves.
I would elaborate more on the matchup against Misdreavus. A Thunder, Rest, Toxic, Protect Missy would still lose to CurseMuk and even the Psychic Missy matchups isn't as clear since it can get poisoned and +1 SB does more to it than Psychic does back.
Gengar can also be chipped with Fire Blast which does about the same as Thunder does to Muk. They don't necessarily win 1v1s.
Neither of these Pokemon wants to take a Sludge Bomb or Explosion, however, so they usually don't counter Muk by switching directly into it.
"so they must be careful when trying to check Muk" is what I would write since they never "hardcounter" Muk.
Cloyster has very high Defense, so it doesn't mind Sludge Bomb too much, and it can take advantage of Muk and set up Spikes. Surf won't do too much damage but Cloyster can opt to use Explosion on Muk if it really wants, which will OHKO Muk.
That matchup seems really difficult to explain. Cloyster can switch into Muk to lay Spikes but it risks poison or getting chipped. Muk can also Curse so Explosion won't OHKO. Maybe say that in the early game, Cloyster could switch in vs Muk and lay Spikes but will take damage in exchange or give Muk the opportunity to set up while it can't do anything back without exploding.

Last edited:
Since Muk's standard coverage move is Fire Blast, it doesn't have much trouble vs Skarm. Yes, it can check it but not often.

not that relevant. As I stated above, you don't need to worry about Skarm. Tar will often switch out against Cloyster unless they either expect you to use Spikes, try to explode predicting a switch to e.g. an electric, or they have a coverage move like Thunderbolt to really hurt Cloyster, or another good justification for that decision to stay in.

When you use both pokemon on the same team, you are stacking ground weaknesses (similarly to Tar). "unusually strong synergy" sounds like an exaggeration. Misdreavus doesn't check Muk that well since it's damage output is quite low (even should it have Psychic). Exeggutor and Jynx don't check Muk well even though they threaten it. It is not necessary to use Pursuit support to remove them (but of course it's still nice to have it).

Muk doesn't detest Steel-types. Skarm and Steelix are the only relevant ones and both risk getting 2HKO'd. Skarm doesn't threaten Muk heavily and Steelix gets outsped.

That Lax is still a decent electric check and the way you phrased it makes it sound as if it's not.

I can't think of a single reason I would ever use Haze on Muk since it doesn't counter any setup mon even when having that move. I'd probably just remove it.

I'd add that Giga Drain is really uncommon (although I think it's definitely a viable option).

Mention that it still dislikes getting poisoned, similarly as Rhydon/Golem.

I would elaborate more on the matchup against Misdreavus. A Thunder, Rest, Toxic, Protect Missy would still lose to CurseMuk and even the Psychic Missy matchups isn't as clear since it can get poisoned and +1 SB does more to it than Psychic does back.
Gengar can also be chipped with Fire Blast which does about the same as Thunder does to Muk. They don't necessarily win 1v1s.

"so they must be careful when trying to check Muk" is what I would write since they never "hardcounter" Muk.

That matchup seems really difficult to explain. Cloyster can switch into Muk to lay Spikes but it risks poison or getting chipped. Muk can also Curse so Explosion won't OHKO. Maybe say that in the early game, Cloyster could switch in vs Muk and lay Spikes but will take damage in exchange or give Muk the opportunity to set up while it can't do anything back without exploding.
Implemented all suggested changes and addressed every single comment, thanks so much!

Without Curse Muk can't pressure these as much besides exploding. Curse is very crucial for Muk to pressure Lax, Zap, Raikou, Cune, Misdreavus, Vaporeon and Psychic-less Starmie.
I personally would have listed Giga Drain as other option but don't feel that strongly about it (maybe ask lots of other GSCers to come to a consensus if you haven't already). If you slash it in the main set, make sure to explain how dropping Curse will affect the way you have to play with Muk (booming a lot earlier and rarely getting more than a 1v1 trade with it).
Sidenote: imagine facing a standard Misdreavus Stall team (Cune, Raikou, Skarm, Forry). If Muk doesn't have Curse, it gets hardwalled by RestMissy and could only explode on Cune. With Curse, it is so much more dangerous and it can be difficult for the opponent to check it should it get a free setup turn.
Fire Blast can hit Skarmory on the switch with high odds to 2HKO, and it also hits Forretress for an OHKO and Steelix for decent damage
This is just minor but I feel like Skarm and Steelix could be put together under "decent odds to 2HKO". Unlike Skarmory, Steelix would threaten Muk and I think there could be a better way to describe the roll than "decent damage".
Tyranitar super effectively, although the latter takes negligible damage
Consider removing this. If you want to keep it, that's totally fine as well.
Snorlax with Fire Blast pairs well with Muk because it can help compensate for Muk's low Fire Blast PP and together they can hugely pressure Steel-types like Skarmory and Steelix.
I am not sure how I feel about this. If you run FireBlast Lax and (Curse)Muk, you run the risk of an opposing Rhydon becoming very dangerous. If you use Giga Drain Muk, it can be really tough to break Misdreavus (and Tar could potentially fail do to so).
I haven't wondered much about which Laxsets fit well with Muk, but I am not sure if FireBlast Lax stands out.
Muk can serve as a backup check for Electric-types in case Snorlax gets pressured while asleep.
Hmm... Yes, it can but if you get hit by a Thunder from Zap you are basically forced to play Explosion mindgames already. I would remove or reword this probably. Just a minor nitpick once again though.
with Roar, it can force Exeggutor into the battlefield and trap it as well
I don't think you need to mention Roar since Pursuit Trap works without it as well. I'd just combine Eggy and Jynx.
Giga Drain is very uncommon
That contradicts putting Giga Drain as slashed options on the main set. I'd either say "is not as common" or remove Giga Drain from the main set.
**Ghost-types**: Gengar and Misdreavus are immune to Explosion and shrug off all of Muk's other attacks, although Sludge Bomb can poison Misdreavus. Gengar and Misdreavus can threaten Muk with Hypnosis, Destiny Bond, and even Mean Look + Perish Song; Misdreavus will struggle versus Muk without these moves, however, because a +1 Sludge Bomb from Muk does more damage to Misdreavus than a Psychic does back to Muk. Gengar can also opt to use Explosion, which deals a ton of damage to Muk.
Better, but I am still not very satisfied with this. I'd explain how Gengar often struggles to do meaningful damage back without exploding (Thunder pressures Muk more but is of course less reliable). Overall the matchup between the two pokemon seems about even to me and can often result in a trade when Gar decides to boom. Standard Perish Missy doesn't want to get poisoned on the switch and D-Bond is not something that is an early threat if both mons are relatively healthy. If Muk poisons a Missy for example, it doesn't necessary need to attack on the last turn, making D-Bond useless.
Although Steel-types need to watch out for Fire Blast, the move has limited PP and is not super reliable overall.
Because Steel types take lots of damage though, the limited PP can be enough to beat them unless that player gets multiple predictions right.
My suggestion: "Steel-types need to watch out for Fire Blast but occasionally the limited PP and accuracy can be unreliable." or something similar.
Just a minor nitpick once again about which I also don't feel super strongly.

Without Curse Muk can't pressure these as much besides exploding. Curse is very crucial for Muk to pressure Lax, Zap, Raikou, Cune, Misdreavus, Vaporeon and Psychic-less Starmie.
I personally would have listed Giga Drain as other option but don't feel that strongly about it (maybe ask lots of other GSCers to come to a consensus if you haven't already). If you slash it in the main set, make sure to explain how dropping Curse will affect the way you have to play with Muk (booming a lot earlier and rarely getting more than a 1v1 trade with it).
Sidenote: imagine facing a standard Misdreavus Stall team (Cune, Raikou, Skarm, Forry). If Muk doesn't have Curse, it gets hardwalled by RestMissy and could only explode on Cune. With Curse, it is so much more dangerous and it can be difficult for the opponent to check it should it get a free setup turn.

This is just minor but I feel like Skarm and Steelix could be put together under "decent odds to 2HKO". Unlike Skarmory, Steelix would threaten Muk and I think there could be a better way to describe the roll than "decent damage".

Consider removing this. If you want to keep it, that's totally fine as well.

I am not sure how I feel about this. If you run FireBlast Lax and (Curse)Muk, you run the risk of an opposing Rhydon becoming very dangerous. If you use Giga Drain Muk, it can be really tough to break Misdreavus (and Tar could potentially fail do to so).
I haven't wondered much about which Laxsets fit well with Muk, but I am not sure if FireBlast Lax stands out.
Hmm... Yes, it can but if you get hit by a Thunder from Zap you are basically forced to play Explosion mindgames already. I would remove or reword this probably. Just a minor nitpick once again though.

I don't think you need to mention Roar since Pursuit Trap works without it as well. I'd just combine Eggy and Jynx.

That contradicts putting Giga Drain as slashed options on the main set. I'd either say "is not as common" or remove Giga Drain from the main set.

Better, but I am still not very satisfied with this. I'd explain how Gengar often struggles to do meaningful damage back without exploding (Thunder pressures Muk more but is of course less reliable). Overall the matchup between the two pokemon seems about even to me and can often result in a trade when Gar decides to boom. Standard Perish Missy doesn't want to get poisoned on the switch and D-Bond is not something that is an early threat if both mons are relatively healthy. If Muk poisons a Missy for example, it doesn't necessary need to attack on the last turn, making D-Bond useless.

Because Steel types take lots of damage though, the limited PP can be enough to beat them unless that player gets multiple predictions right.
My suggestion: "Steel-types need to watch out for Fire Blast but occasionally the limited PP and accuracy can be unreliable." or something similar.
Just a minor nitpick once again about which I also don't feel super strongly.
Thanks so much again, I've implemented all of this, and since I found what you said about Curse to be extremely important, I decided to go into a lot of detail about it based on what you said here.

My final nitpicks (I think):
move 4: Curse / Giga Drain
Giga Drain is not as common
either put Giga Drain in OO or don't claim it is not common (I'd slightly lean towards OO but am fine either way as long as it's consistent with the explanations)
2. trapping Muk with Missy wouldn't be as bad since it would basically just be a trade if Muk gets the poison. However, if the opponent has a good check for Perish-Trap, then you should think twice about whether or not you want to switch your Missy in - in short: change
but Misdreavus should only Perish Trap Muk as a last resort since it doesn't want to be poisoned
to something like "but Perish-Trap Misdreavus should think twice about whether or not it is worth to switch in and risk the poison" or just "but Perish-Trap Misdreavus should only check Muk as a last resort since it doesn't want to be poisoned"
3. what about slashing Zap Cannon with Thunder in the OOs (target basically only being Cloyster)? Granted, I don't think it's really good but it is probably okay-ish enough that you could mention the possibility.

My final nitpicks (I think):

either put Giga Drain in OO or don't claim it is not common (I'd slightly lean towards OO but am fine either way as long as it's consistent with the explanations)
2. trapping Muk with Missy wouldn't be as bad since it would basically just be a trade if Muk gets the poison. However, if the opponent has a good check for Perish-Trap, then you should think twice about whether or not you want to switch your Missy in - in short: change
to something like "but Perish-Trap Misdreavus should think twice about whether or not it is worth to switch in and risk the poison" or just "but Perish-Trap Misdreavus should only check Muk as a last resort since it doesn't want to be poisoned"
3. what about slashing Zap Cannon with Thunder in the OOs (target basically only being Cloyster)? Granted, I don't think it's really good but it is probably okay-ish enough that you could mention the possibility.
Implemented all changes. I removed "not as common" mention of Giga Drain (consensus at the time seemed to lean toward giga slashed on the main set.

Great work on this Excal. I have a few comments for things to be added:
Definitely add:
- Mention Muk's Toxic immunity as an advantage it has over other most Explosion users vs stall.
- RestTalk Umbreon should be added as a Pokemon that can check Muk pretty well if it's willing to risk trading itself for it.
- Psychic Starmie can go under Psychic-types.
- It should be emphasised that the existing Psychic-types listed can't switch in safely.
- Bulky Special attackers like Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune should be discussed in checks & counters. It's not uncommon to see them trade for Muk (or weaken it to the point it can be easily revenge killed), even if that is to the Muk user's advantage.

Maybe add (if you agree):
- I'd add a brief mention of the offbeat defensive Rock-types like Shuckle, Aerodactyl, and Omastar which can all beat or at worst trade for Muk.
- I'd mention Mean Look in OO as a gimmick that could catch people off guard despite being illegal with Explosion.
- Potentially Muk can be mentioned as a breaker on a more defensive team alongside Skarm + Raikou. I haven't tried this myself but I've seen it done a few times and it looked decent. The lack of Pokemon that can wall it plays to its advantage pretty nicely. It can boom on or poison checks to Firelax. (did we discuss this on Discord? I seem to have a vague recollection..?)

Great work on this Excal. I have a few comments for things to be added:
Definitely add:
- Mention Muk's Toxic immunity as an advantage it has over other most Explosion users vs stall.
- RestTalk Umbreon should be added as a Pokemon that can check Muk pretty well if it's willing to risk trading itself for it.
- Psychic Starmie can go under Psychic-types.
- It should be emphasised that the existing Psychic-types listed can't switch in safely.
- Bulky Special attackers like Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune should be discussed in checks & counters. It's not uncommon to see them trade for Muk (or weaken it to the point it can be easily revenge killed), even if that is to the Muk user's advantage.

Maybe add (if you agree):
- I'd add a brief mention of the offbeat defensive Rock-types like Shuckle, Aerodactyl, and Omastar which can all beat or at worst trade for Muk.
- I'd mention Mean Look in OO as a gimmick that could catch people off guard despite being illegal with Explosion.
- Potentially Muk can be mentioned as a breaker on a more defensive team alongside Skarm + Raikou. I haven't tried this myself but I've seen it done a few times and it looked decent. The lack of Pokemon that can wall it plays to its advantage pretty nicely. It can boom on or poison checks to Firelax. (did we discuss this on Discord? I seem to have a vague recollection..?)
Implemented all except for Mean Look in OO. I tested Mean Look quite a bit and could not find any good use for it that actually warrants using it over a very important coverage move or Curse. If the QC team disagrees with that though, then I'll add it.

Thanks for the check!!

Implemented all except for Mean Look in OO. I tested Mean Look quite a bit and could not find any good use for it that actually warrants using it over a very important coverage move or Curse. If the QC team disagrees with that though, then I'll add it.

Thanks for the check!!
I have no qualms with this and I think you have done a great job of implementing this check.

I have just a couple more things:
- Mention Muk being one of the best Pokemon at forcing at least a trade (the others imo being Steelix and Self-Destruct Snorlax). I wasn't too sure on its potential to get better than a one-for-one as you mentioned. I wish there was a way to see stats on it (how many KOs per game average for each Pokemon).
- Mention Sludge Bomb's good neutral coverage. Also, I found this kind of odd since Muk rarely gets to more than one or two Curse boosts: "which can be quite powerful with a few Curse boosts under its belt".
- "Marowak and Nidoking need to watch out for Explosion, and Muk can also inflict poison on the latter." - Should be former
- "Exeggutor can even use Stun Spore to paralyze Muk." - I think this can be removed, I can't think of many situations where you wouldn't rather just attack it with either Psychic or Explosion, and these two rarely face each other anyway since they both hit each other SE with STABs.

After that this can be QC 2/2.

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
remove additions (comments)

[OVERVIEW]

Muk is by no means a fantastic Pokemon, but it has a few unique traits that distinguish it as viable. Its large HP, Attack, and Special Defense allow it to have decent matchups versus Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune. Furthermore, its access to Curse and the fact that it outpaces Snorlax means that it has the potential to hold its ground against it in a one-on-one matchup. Since Muk can learn Explosion, it can be a decent fit on offensive teams centered around the move. The combination of Curse and Explosion solidifies Muk as one of the best Pokemon at forcing at least a trade, similarly to Curse + Explosion Steelix and Curse + Self-Destruct Snorlax.

Muk has a bad Speed tier; (remove semicolon) (add comma) and as a Poison-type, it doesn't have many useful resistances. (these two clauses are technically related & appropriate for a semicolon as they're both talking about flaws with Muk but they sound strange together without a transitional 'and' to me) Besides Machamp without Earthquake and Heracross, it doesn't check any offensive threats well. If Muk is even slightly worn down, many faster Pokemon are capable of revenge killing it. Muk can have a hard time dealing with non-Steel-type Pokemon that resist Sludge Bomb and Explosion, which doesn't bode well since Poison-type is not great offensively. Pokemon like Gengar, Nidoking, Tyranitar, Golem, and Rhydon will give Muk a difficult time.

Because of this, it can be difficult to justify Muk's place on offensive teams over other Explosion users like Exeggutor and Gengar, who offer significantly more defensive utility, (remove comma) and are more effective at luring Pokemon like Raikou, Snorlax, and Zapdos. However, Muk distinguishes itself by majorly threatening stall teams with its coverage, Toxic immunity, and its ability to boost with Curse. Overall, as an Explosion user, Muk has more the potential to get more than a one-for-one trade thanks to Curse, but its defensive utility is significantly lower than most other Explosion users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set aims to maximize Muk's potential versus top threats in the metagame like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou, while also trying to cover as much ground as possible. Sludge Bomb is Muk's best STAB move, (remove comma) which as it has strong neutral coverage(add comma) and can be quite powerful with a Curse boost or two under its belt, and can spread poison decently well. Fire Blast can hit Skarmory and Steelix on the switch with high odds to 2HKO, and it also hits Forretress for an OHKO. Explosion can be used in a pinch to remove most Pokemon from the battle. Curse gives Muk decent odds versus Snorlax in a one-on-one matchup, and can also enable Muk to threaten Vaporeon, Machamp, Suicune, Misdreavus, and Electric-types with Sludge Bomb.

Team Options
=========

Muk fits best on offensive teams centered around Explosion. Cloyster is an important teammate that lays down Spikes for Muk, making it more difficult to switch into, while forcing other Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon out, like Rhydon and Golem. Vaporeon fits well with Muk, as it appreciates Muk's decent matchup versus Electric-types and ability to use Explosion. Tyranitar can use Pursuit to trap Gengar and Misdreavus, which can be nice because both Pokemon are immune to Explosion. If you're using Muk with a Pursuit trapper, a Snorlax set with Curse, Lovely Kiss, Double Edge / Body Slam, and Rest can work effectively because Muk can serve as an emergency backup check for Electric-types in case Snorlax gets pressured while asleep. While Muk can take Thunder from Raikou and Zapdos reasonably well, it would prefer to only switch into it if necessary, as it would be forced into Explosion mind games earlier than it'd like. Muk also has some potential as a breaker on a more defensive team alongside Skarmory and Raikou, which works due to the lack of Pokemon that are able to completely wall it. Muk can support Curse Snorlax with a Fire-type move quite well, as it can often inflict poison on common checks like Rock-types and Misdreavus.

Houndoom is a niche pick, but it has decent offensive synergy with Muk because it can trap Ghost-types as well as Exeggutor and Jynx with Pursuit while resisting both of their STAB moves. In return, Houndoom appreciates Muk's Explosion to remove threats like Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, Suicune, and Vaporeon. Using Houndoom alongside Muk compounds a Ground-type weakness, however, so proceed with caution.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Giga Drain is Muk's most viable other option, which enables enabling it to hit Rhydon and Golem with for massive damage. Since Muk is faster than both of these Pokemon, it can even force them out if they're hit on the switch; it also hits Cloyster super effectively. However, without Curse, Muk will not be able to pressure Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, Suicune, Misdreavus, Vaporeon and even Psychic-less Starmie nearly as effectively. While Giga Drain alleviates pressure from the likes of Golem and Rhydon, and can even serve to bait in these Pokemon, it can make Muk significantly less dangerous overall and force it to use Explosion to go for a trade much earlier in the game.

Besides Giga Drain, Muk doesn't have many other viable options. Dynamic Punch could be used to bait Tyranitar, other Rock-types, and also deal significant damage to Snorlax. Zap Cannon and Thunder can be used to spread paralysis and hit Skarmory and Cloyster, but other Pokemon are significantly better at doing this and Fire Blast is much more consistent, especially against Forretress and Steelix. Thief can be used with no item on hand to steal a foe's item, but the loss of a coverage move or Curse is almost always not worth it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Rock- and Ground-types**: Tyranitar, Rhydon, Golem, Nidoking, and Marowak resist Sludge Bomb, shrug off Fire Blast, and can all threaten Muk with a powerful Earthquake; Rhydon, Golem(add comma) and Tyranitar additionally resist Explosion, but they would hate to get poisoned unless they carry Rest. If Tyranitar doesn't carry Earthquake, it might not be immediately threatening against Muk, which could stay in and try to inflict poison with Sludge Bomb. Rhydon and Golem resist Explosion, but they don't want to take a Giga Drain, although it's not nearly as common. Marowak and Nidoking need to watch out for Explosion, and Muk can also inflict poison on the former.

There are also a few niche defensive Rock-types that can check Muk quite well, or at worst trade with it. Shuckle, Omastar, and Aerodactyl shrug off Muk's common attacks, resist Explosion, and carry Rest to cure poison from Sludge Bomb.

**Steel-types**: Skarmory and Steelix resist Explosion and are completely immune to Sludge Bomb. Steel-types need to watch out for Fire Blast, but occasionally the limited PP and accuracy can cause the move to be unreliable. While Steel-types don't check Muk well overall, they can still be very useful due to their Poison immunity and resistance to Explosion.

**Ghost-types**: Gengar and Misdreavus are immune to Explosion and shrug off all of Muk's other attacks, although Sludge Bomb can poison Misdreavus. Gengar and Misdreavus can threaten Muk with Hypnosis and even a combination of Mean Look and Perish Song, but Perish-Trap Misdreavus should only check Muk as a last resort since it doesn't want to be poisoned. Without these moves, Misdreavus will struggle versus Muk because a +1 Sludge Bomb from Muk does more damage to Misdreavus than a Psychic does back to Muk. Gengar's Thunder does about as much damage to Muk as its Fire Blast does back, so this matchup without earlier-mentioned moves is about even until they trade when Gengar decides to use Explosion, assuming neither Pokemon switches out.

**Psychic-types**: Exeggutor and Jynx can hit Muk with an extremely strong Psychic or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder or and Lovely Kiss. Neither of these Pokemon wants to take a Sludge Bomb or Explosion, however, so they must be careful when trying to check Muk. Starmie can switch into Muk relatively well and can 2HKO it with Psychic after Spikes while not minding Poison that much thanks to Recover; however, it risks trading itself with Muk, as Muk can often be paired with sweepers that want Starmie gone, like Vaporeon. Overall, Psychic-types can offensively threaten Muk but none can switch in safely.

**Bulky Special Attackers**: Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune can use Rest to cure poison from Sludge Bomb and wear down Muk to the point at which it will either use Explosion or be easily revenge killed by another teammate. That said, this can often be to the Muk user's advantage, as it often aims to trade with these Pokemon. Only use Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune to check Muk if you don't mind trading with it or if you have no other checks on your team.

**Umbreon**: RestTalk Umbreon can reduce Muk's attack with Charm and check it quite well; however, it risks trading itself for Muk if the Muk user decides to use Explosion as Umbreon switches in.

**Cloyster**: Cloyster has very high Defense, so it can take advantage of Muk by setting up Spikes early-game; however, Muk could use Cloyster to set up Curse, potentially forcing it to use Explosion. Although Cloyster's Explosion doesn't OHKO Muk after one Curse boost, it still deals a large amount of damage.

Not much to say here. Nice job Excal. GP 1/2

contrib_gp.png

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Muk is by no means a fantastic Pokemon, but it has a few unique traits that distinguish it as viable. Its large HP, Attack, and Special Defense allow it to have decent matchups versus Zapdos, Raikou, and Suicune. Furthermore, its access to Curse and the fact that it outpaces ability to outpace Snorlax means mean that it has the potential to hold its ground against it in a one-on-one matchup. Since Muk can learn Explosion, it can be a decent fit on offensive teams centered around the move. The combination of Curse and Explosion solidifies Muk as one of the best Pokemon at forcing at least a trade, similarly to Curse + Explosion Steelix and Curse + Self-Destruct Snorlax.

However, Muk has a bad Speed tier, and as a Poison-type, it doesn't have many useful resistances. Besides Machamp without Earthquake and Heracross, it doesn't check any offensive threats well. If Muk is even slightly worn down, many faster Pokemon are capable of revenge killing it. Muk can have a hard time dealing with non-Steel-type Pokemon that resist Sludge Bomb and Explosion, which doesn't bode well, (AC) since Poison-type is not a great typing offensively. Pokemon like Gengar, Nidoking, Tyranitar, Golem, and Rhydon will give Muk a difficult time.

Because of this, it can be difficult to justify Muk's place on offensive teams over other Explosion users like Exeggutor and Gengar, who which offer significantly more defensive utility and are more effective at luring Pokemon like Raikou, Snorlax, and Zapdos. However, Muk distinguishes itself by majorly threatening stall teams with its coverage, Toxic immunity, and its ability to boost with Curse. Overall, as an Explosion user, Muk has the potential to get more than a one-for-one trade thanks to Curse, but its defensive utility is significantly lower than most other Explosion users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set aims to maximize Muk's potential versus top threats in the metagame like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou (RC) while also trying to cover as much ground as possible. Sludge Bomb is Muk's best STAB move, (AC) as it has strong neutral coverage, can be quite powerful with a Curse boost or two under its belt, and can spread poison decently well. Fire Blast can hit Skarmory and Steelix on the switch with high odds to 2HKO (RC) them and also hits Forretress for an OHKO. Explosion can be used in a pinch to remove most Pokemon from the battle. Curse gives Muk decent odds versus Snorlax in a one-on-one matchup (RC) and can also enable Muk to threaten Vaporeon, Machamp, Suicune, Misdreavus, and Electric-types with Sludge Bomb.

Team Options
=========

Muk fits best on offensive teams centered around Explosion. Cloyster is an important teammate that lays down Spikes for Muk, making it more difficult to switch into, while forcing and forces Rock- and Ground-type Pokemon out, like Rhydon and Golem. Vaporeon fits well with Muk, as it appreciates Muk's decent matchup versus Electric-types and ability to use Explosion. Tyranitar can use Pursuit to trap Gengar and Misdreavus, which can be nice because both Pokemon are immune to Explosion. If you're using Muk with a Pursuit trapper, a Snorlax set with Curse, Lovely Kiss, Double-Edge (AH) / Body Slam, and Rest can work effectively because Muk can serve as an emergency backup check for Electric-types in case Snorlax gets pressured while asleep. While Muk can take Thunder from Raikou and Zapdos reasonably well, it would prefer to only switch into it if necessary, as it would be forced into Explosion mind games earlier than it'd like. Muk also has some potential as a breaker on a more defensive team alongside Skarmory and Raikou, which works due to the lack of Pokemon that are able to completely wall it. Muk can support Curse Snorlax with a Fire-type move quite well, as it can often inflict poison on common checks like Rock-types and Misdreavus.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Giga Drain is Muk's most viable other option, enabling it to hit Rhydon and Golem for massive damage. Since Muk is faster than both of these Pokemon, it can even force them out if they're hit on the switch; it also hits Cloyster super effectively. However, without Curse, Muk will not be able to pressure Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, Suicune, Misdreavus, Vaporeon and even Psychic-less Starmie nearly as effectively. While Giga Drain alleviates pressure from the likes of Golem and Rhydon (RC) and can even serve to bait in these Pokemon, it can make Muk significantly less dangerous overall and force it to use Explosion to go for a trade much earlier in the game.

Besides Giga Drain, Muk doesn't have many other viable options. Dynamic Punch could be used to bait Tyranitar, other Rock-types, and also deal significant damage to Snorlax. Zap Cannon and Thunder can be used to spread paralysis and hit Skarmory and Cloyster, but other Pokemon are significantly better at doing this, (AC) and Fire Blast is much more consistent, especially against Forretress and Steelix. Thief can be used with no item on hand to steal a foe's item, but the loss of a coverage move or Curse is almost always not worth it.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Rock- and Ground-types**: Tyranitar, Rhydon, Golem, Nidoking, and Marowak resist Sludge Bomb, shrug off Fire Blast, and can all threaten Muk with a powerful Earthquake; Rhydon, Golem, and Tyranitar additionally resist Explosion, but they would hate to get poisoned unless they carry Rest. If Tyranitar doesn't carry Earthquake, it might not be immediately threatening against Muk, which could stay in and try to inflict poison with Sludge Bomb. Rhydon and Golem resist Explosion, but they don't want to take a Giga Drain, although it's not nearly as common. Marowak and Nidoking need to watch out for Explosion, and Muk can also inflict poison on the former.

There are also a few niche defensive Rock-types that can check Muk quite well (RC) or at worst trade with it. Shuckle, Omastar, and Aerodactyl shrug off Muk's common attacks, resist Explosion, and carry Rest to cure poison from Sludge Bomb.

**Ghost-types**: Gengar and Misdreavus are immune to Explosion and shrug off all of Muk's other attacks, although Sludge Bomb can poison Misdreavus. Gengar and Misdreavus can threaten Muk with Hypnosis and even a combination of Mean Look and Perish Song, but Perish trap (RH) Misdreavus should only check Muk as a last resort, (AC) since it doesn't want to be poisoned. Without these moves, Misdreavus will struggle versus Muk because a +1 Sludge Bomb from Muk does more damage to Misdreavus than a Psychic does back to Muk. Gengar's Thunder does about as much damage to Muk as its Fire Blast does back, so this matchup without earlier-mentioned moves is about even until they trade when Gengar decides to use Explosion, assuming neither Pokemon switches out.

**Psychic-types**: Exeggutor and Jynx can hit Muk with an extremely strong Psychic or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder and Lovely Kiss. Neither of these Pokemon wants to take a Sludge Bomb or Explosion, however, so they must be careful when trying to check Muk. Starmie can switch into Muk relatively well and can 2HKO it with Psychic after Spikes while not minding Poison that much thanks to Recover; however, it risks trading itself with Muk, as Muk can often be paired with sweepers that want Starmie gone, like Vaporeon. Overall, Psychic-types can offensively threaten Muk but none can switch in safely.

**Umbreon**: RestTalk Umbreon can reduce Muk's Attack with Charm and check it quite well; however, it risks trading itself for Muk if the Muk user decides to use Explosion as Umbreon switches in.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Excal, 456373]]
- Quality checked by: [[FriendOfMrGolem120, 424525], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Mafeking, 122460], [, ]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)