LC Munna

[OVERVIEW]
Munna's poor stats, terrible defensive typing, and inability to effectively beat Dark-types leave it unable to perform consistently as a setup sweeper. However, its access to Baton Pass can allow it to be at least remotely useful, passing its boosts to a teammate that can take advantage of them. Unfortunately, Baton Pass is a very risky, unreliable, and gimmicky strategy, which makes Munna a high-risk low-reward Pokemon.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Barrier / Calm Mind
move 3: Moonlight
move 4: Stored Power / Dazzling Gleam
item: Eviolite
ability: Synchronize
nature: Bold
evs: 68 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Munna can set up in front of several physical attackers and pass its boosts to a teammate with Baton Pass. However, Baton Pass strategies are hard to pull off, and the +2 Defense is rarely game changing enough to justify losing a team slot in order to run Munna.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[zizalith,410251]]
- Quality checked by: [[Merritt,213064], [fiend,208173]]
- Grammar checked by: [[A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157]]

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I do not think Munna is viable as a pass sweeper as of the Torchic ban since that killed fullpass pretty hard. I'd heavily recommend going to a CM/Barrier passer rather than a Stored Power end user itself.

I'd like you to either rewrite this for a Barrier/Calm Mind passing set or convince me that the set you have now is ideal and why, keeping in mind that FullPass is pretty much 100% dead and passing to a strongmon like Mudbray, Rufflet, ect is the only real viable form of Baton Pass in this meta.

Since everything in here is pretty much based around the current set, I can't check it until you either rewrite or explain why this set should stay.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
y'know, usually when I ask for a set that I call a "passer" or "passing set" I figure keeping Baton Pass as one of the moves is pretty heavily implied

goal: to make a teammate good because Munna is not. Accomplished by setting up boosts and passing them. Barrier+Moonlight combo means Munna can set up and pass in front of a hell of a lot of physical attackers as long as you're not +0 in front of the Vullaby, which is why it's slashed before CM.

Write around this set please or give a good reason why a non-BP sweeper set is ever worth using over the many better sweepers and Psychic-types in LC.

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
oh boy i sure do like it when i triple post

[OVERVIEW]
Clarify that Munna cannot effectively beat Dark-types, since it can in theory beat Vullaby if it's running Dazzling Gleam and everything goes right. The part about Spritzee outclassing Munna if it runs a different set isn't really relevant here - this isn't about Munna being outclassed (except by maybe Shelmet but that sucks too) but more about it not being useful for teams most of the time.

[SET]
yes.

[SET COMMENTS]
The first sentence is fine, but the next two are kind of sketchy. Again, you shouldn't be mentioning that Munna's other possible sets are outclassed, you should be focusing on the set at hand. Rephrasing that last bit into explaining that while extra Defense is helpful, it's rarely game changing enough to be worth losing a teamslot for Munna would be much better.

[CREDITS]
No <>. Just [zizalith, 410251].

1/2

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Good enough.

[SET]
Fine.

[SET COMMENTS]
Munna can set up in front of several physical attackers and Baton Pass its boosts to a teammate. However, Baton Pass strategies are hard to pull off, and the +2 Defense is rarely game changing [add a space] enough to justify losing a team slot [add a space again] in order to run Munna.

I'm thinking this is fine bc munna is pretty bad and straightforward, too.
QC: 2/2

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
add remove
[OVERVIEW]
Munna's poor stats, terrible defensive typing, and inability to effectively beat Dark-types leave it unable to perform consistently as a setup sweeper. However, its access to Baton Pass can allow it to be at least remotely useful, passing its boosts to a teammate that can abuse take advantage of them. Unfortunately, Baton Pass is a very risky, unreliable, and gimmicky strategy, which makes Munna a high risk low reward high-risk low-reward Pokemon.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Munna can set up in front of several physical attackers and Baton Pass pass its boosts to a teammate with Baton Pass. However, Baton Pass strategies are hard to pull off, and the +2 Defense is rarely game changing enough to justify losing a team slot in order to run Munna.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[zizalith,410251]]
- Quality checked by: [[Merritt,213064], [fiend,208173]]
- Grammar checked by: [[A Cake Wearing A Hat, 388157]]
GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)