Team MWCOP II - Team and Sets Dump Thread

Cell

Birth By Sleep
MPL Champion
This tour was boring, so I ended up only making new stuff for my series against Isza. Feel free to ask me any questions over sets or spreads.

Game 1

Game 2

Game 3

Overall I'm pretty content with the way I played this series. My only regret was not preserving Air Balloon on Heatran against the Bronzong in Game 3.

s/o Attribute Splash and even Prosaic although I had to blackmail him for testing

Last edited:
Thoughts I'd drop a few teams sets here.

:seismitoad: :manaphy: :cloyster: :rotom-wash: :Gyarados-Mega: :keldeo:
(click sprites)

This was a team that I built Week 1 and was taken inspiration from another tier I frequent in ORAS OU. Screens are very potent in the tier right now with Manaphy and Mega Gyarados being its most oppressive abusers of screens so I thought trying it out in Monotype would be a good idea. I showed this team to Attribute and Isza and they both liked it and thought it would bring some freshness to ORAS Monotype, Attribute liked the idea quite a bit and used the team twice vs Cell in a Bo3 they played in the qualifying weeks and vs Soulwind in finals tiebreak with a changs of Taunt over Earthquake on Mega Gyarados in addition to HP Grass on Keldeo and Sub-Salac Manaphy which is also a variant of a set you can use on it.

The Manaphy is bulky enuff to 1v1 mons like Thundurus-I under screens with an adequate amount of Speed for the metagame. The Toad set is as offensive as possible u keep rocks up and endeavour stuff like Skarm/Zap by keeping them low if they try and get the rocks off versus you. I like SubCM Keldeo under screens as it is one of the best mons in the tier and with screens support allows u to take hits from Thundy and Zard Y and other common threats. I liked Earthquake on Mega Gyara for mons like Rotom-W mainly. Cloyster was obviously there to win vs Flying and Dragon and overall to weaken checks (or potentially beating checks cuz Kings Rock xD) for Mega Gyarados to sweep late-game. The main goal behind Rotom-W spread was mainly just a screens + Thunder Wave + slowest possible Volt Switch into one of the aforementioned setup sweepers. I regret not using this team myself in Semi-finals honestly.

:Weavile: :Bisharp: :Tyranitar-Mega: :krookodile: :Hydreigon: :mandibuzz:
(click sprites)

This was also a team I had built for Week 1 and also Taide / Attribute decided to bring vs Quaze in Finals. The team essentially relies on always being able to beat Psychic, Flying, Ground, Steel, Dragon and Normal. If you face Rain Keldeo Water or pull Fighting which is not used right now for some reason, then tough luck but as yall saw in week 1 shit can happen. Honestly all of these mons are pretty straight forward as to what they do and what they beat. Banded Weavile just makes it so you cant lose vs Flying Dragon (in conjunction with Ice Punch DD M-tar) and SD Bisharp complements each other nicely as a wallbreaking core. Mega Tyranitar also benefits from those two weakening checks late-game. Helmet Mandibuzz deadass stops Mega Lopunny in its tracks thus the normal matchup not being too bad as Bisharp and Weavile break nicely. Scarf Krook is role compression for Stealth Rock + a Choice Scarf user for speed control.

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Earth Power
- Hydro Pump
- Grass Knot

I brought this Seismitoad set in finals as a way of tilting the Water MU towards Grounds favour (alas HP Grass Keldeo was brought) with Choice Specs Grass Knot being able to hit everything hard and Hidden Power Electric being used so that Gyarados (which will always stay in reg-form on you) cannot use you as free setup. If they decide to switch Physdef Rotom into you (and do nothing back) Hydro Pump hits that pretty hard to keep it weak for Band Sand Rush Drill in the back. In addition, I found the benefit of Seismitoad over Gastrodon being that you aren't passive and you're able to put in work vs Flying teams as not much can switch into Specs Pump. This Toad also puts in work in the mirror matchup as well giving you the upper hand there as well.

This tournaments format weeks wise with the byes and pools was a complete turn-off and should never be repeated in any tournament ever, but shoutouts to Canada for being very motivated during the qualifying weeks and making semifinals!

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I tried to relax more this season which lead to me building some fun stuff. I had a lot of cool ideas in this tour but some of them were way too crackhead. Nonetheless i had a lot of fun building. Here are the teams that i used:

https://pokepast.es/a8103eed00412868

SS balance water team i used vs finchinator. i felt like building something cool so i came up with this. It doesnt really do too well against anything in particular, so its kind of a midground. Cloyster is probably the best dragon answer atm on balance teams and also gives u a good shot at winning v grass

https://pokepast.es/e8131bce1268d954

SS balance flying team i used vs smub. I kinda just brought this since flying is the 2nd best type in the metagame as of now. Dual steel stab celesteela was for substitute kyurem but most people just run corviknight instead. I also swapped items on thundy and zapdos to try and confuse smub if he were to look closely at the previous replays of me using this 6 which had cb zapdos and scarf thundy.

:gliscor: :excadrill: :gastrodon: :mamoswine: :landorus-therian: :garchomp:
https://pokepast.es/98569cea763820cc

SM balance ground i used against toadow. U-turn gliscor is generally a really nice momentum grabber because of how fat it is and poison heal + status immunity, so i wanted to make a ground thats centered around it. Fat exca is nice as well since it can come in nicely against ice coverage mons like deoxys s and greninja + steel gives u plenty of other resistances and throw down rocks/spin. I changed it to spd over max hp and speed after the game since ice beam did way too much. SD Lando t shreds through every defensive core in existence and picks 1 against offense. last mon is scarf garchomp with fire blast to compress speed control + scizor answer into one; being faster than +1 base 100s is also very useful which it has over other mons on ground.

:celebi: :gardevoir-mega: :jirachi: :victini: :latios: :mew:
https://pokepast.es/0349b84d2e4b2556
:slowking: :pelipper: :greninja: :toxapex: :swampert-mega: :keldeo:
https://pokepast.es/a29beeb7df061dba

Natdex teams i used against maskun for our bo3. Our team was already in so i just brought fun stuff i made earlier in my own free time. I think mega gardevoir has merit in natdex mono for dark and goltres, since people run alolan muk a lot less on dark and also does what it did in oras in providing the team w a cleric and generally being annoying. The latios set is a building error that i forgot to change. The water one is what i think standard water should be; idk a lot about natdex mono but id imagine rain water is similar.

:gliscor: :aerodactyl-mega: :celesteela: :tornadus-therian: :thundurus-therian: :dragonite:
https://pokepast.es/b5d8c9e36a189d68
SM balance flying team i used vs evi for semis. It's pretty standard outside of the torn and thundy. Scarf sludge bomb torn is cool to outspeed deoxys s and punish tapu koko, since after a sludge bomb dnite takes it out with espeed and it dies to rocks. Yache thundy is for gren, mamo, etc.

:greninja: :swampert-mega: :pelipper: :keldeo: :empoleon: :tapu fini:
https://pokepast.es/e20e046b3fff48bf

Crackhead SM rain water I brought against qwily. I tried to make a rain water team with empoleon since steel typing is broken and provides a solid defensive backbone. toss in tapu finis misty terrain protecting things from status/speed control outside of rain and it seemed like a good idea on paper. Sub mega pert was for celesteela/flying in general. cb greninja takes out stuff like deoxys s, alolan raichu, and scarf latis with sneak, cb u turn is generally really good vs stuff like dark and psychic and it gave me a mlatios answer. I felt like i could drop ice coverage on it with fini covering dragon well enough, and spikes goes in the last slot since i didnt really know what else i could put there + hazards are nice for offense. I wasnt really expecting gastrodon mantine fat water coming from qwily since leru hyped it up so much in my dms so thats why this team is a bit weak to it. He ended up just bringing another variant...

https://pokepast.es/d66505013c538d47

Finals tiebreak fairy i brought against firnen. Going into the tiebreak i really hated the state of ss monotype so i didnt have many ideas. Originally this was just something i was playing around w and wasnt planning on bringing to this tour, but after messing around w it i ended up really liking it into bringing it. I had cb bulu in the og version which i used in ssnls but scarf is way better against the weather types + this meta is offensive as shit. The togekiss pretty much fucks up a bunch of teams in general including poison and steel, which is what the evs are for. The SpD means heatrans lava plume never breaks its substitute, and that leaves just enough evs for speed so that it can outspeed SpD Drapion to flinch it down before it can knock togekiss off. I like togekiss a lot, it feels like it usually puts in a lot of work against balance especially if ur not going against like ice or elec. CB azumarill slaps; its way better than BDrum and BDrum being the most commonly used set means people will play around CB differently. For example, trying to click whirlwind with hippowdon or toxic with aegislash only to get them OHKOed by liquidation or knock off. Its also strong enough to OHKO danger mons like volcarona, nidoking, and excadrill with aqua jet, which is very valuable, as well as eating psychic completely with CB knock off. Fairy is an excellent type; pls use it more and its one of the types in the meta that requires thinking due to the metagame not being in a very healthy state atm with mons like urshifu/zapdos/dracovish flinging shit around.

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Just going to dump the teams I built this tour. I don't really feel like giving explanations for the teams. You can click on all of the sprites to find the team importable; however, the Ghost team does not have one since Spectrier is now banned. Feel free to pm me on PS/Discord about w/e about these teams or NatDex Monotype!

Week 1 vs Isza (W)
:garchomp-mega::nidoking::hippowdon::gastrodon::excadrill::landorus:

Week 2 vs Skysolo (W)
:sableye-mega::mimikyu::aegislash::spectrier::corsola-galar::gengar:

Week 3 vs Haxxsel (W)
:venusaur-mega::ferrothorn::whimsicott::rillaboom::zarude::breloom:

Semifinals vs Zap (W)
:grimmsnarl::greninja::krookodile::urshifu::moltres-galar::tyranitar-mega:

Finals vs Ikioi (L)
:pelipper::urshifu::swampert-mega::gyarados::tapu-fini::greninja:

Most of the teams I brought for this tour were quite standard, but I'd like to share the psychic I built for week 3 vs Shiba. It has since become one of my favorite SS teams as it does great in most MUs and is pretty fun thanks to the use of double fairy + the gimmick WP agility Latias.

:hatterene: :tapu lele: :latias: :slowbro: :victini: :jirachi:
(click sprites)

I felt that West were likely to bring elec (and they finally ended the tour with something like 35% of elec in SS lol), and I wanted to go with something that was fine against most top types. Nailec suggested the interesting idea of Psy with 2 drag and 2 fairy, but I couldn't find something that covered most MUs with the 2 remaining slots, and with 2 drags + 1 Fairy I was always ending up with something that loses to heavy slam Ttar dark, what I really didn’t want because this has become quite common. I finally decided to give a try to Lele + Hatterene psy with the weakness policy Latias taken from this post from Decem that only suffers from the existence of Dark types. I lowered the speed to make it more bulky, as I don’t think you want to outspeed anything else than scarf Gengar/Lati@s in the current meta. The general idea is that with rocks up, Hat and Lele allow you to get rid off the enemy’s dark, what opens the way for Latias.

Slowbro is here do Slowbro’s things, Victini helps a lot against steel and fly, and Jirachi offers support with SR and Twave. Healing wish is so good here because in lots of MUs you’ve got one mon who does most of the job and is particularly good to heal.

Finally our game only mattered for GA so I don’t know what was originally planned, but Shiba brought elec, what was one of the team’s best MUs.

Last edited:
Some teams/sets I wanted to share. Not going to say this tour was the most enjoyable, but the building part was fun for me
:thundurus: :Landorus-Therian: :xatu: :staraptor: :Gyarados-Mega: :Hawlucha:

I used this team vs Cell the week we played. While I was excited I got to face an old friend/great player, I couldn't help but be a little nervous. My opponent knew me VERY well in the builder, and used teams that usually smashed the balance builds I liked to spam. Because of this, I took a hyper-offensive approach to catch him off guard. I like to take ideas from other tiers and add them to Monotype, and ended up getting the screens flying idea from CrashinBoomBang who used lots of screens variations in his ORAS SPL run. The idea is to set rocks/deny the opponent's rocks with Lando and then set screens. After this, I have a bunch of set up sweepers to pressure my opponent (and an emergency final gambit) Replays here:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-1315319077 He didn't get a chance to play honestly, but it got the job done
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-1315322880 This was a great game and I'm happy with my performance. Only thing I think I could have done differently is go xatu on Lando turn 12 to deny rocks.

:scizor mega: :heatran: :bronzong: :skarmory: :magnezone: :ferrothorn:
I'd say this is one of my best teams, this was built back in MPL 6 for Star to play Taide with. It's one of my better comfort picks and can beat mostly anything in the tier. It's kinda standard but we have some interesting sets such as scarf twave magnezone (clutch in certain scenarios) and double rocks on bronzong/heatran which helps ALOT in the flying match up. Replays here:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-1176073248 Star vs Taide MPL 6
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-1315331738 Me vs Cell Mono WCOP (Scarf twave+some luck ended up winning me the game)

:porygon-z: :porygon2: :Lopunny-Mega: :staraptor: :ditto: :chansey:
Another mpl 6 team I built for Star, Normal is standard in general but we have some techs. First off we have Focus Punch Lopunny which is fantastic in the steel match-up. You can HJK On the Skarmory switch, and then FP on the roost and you're in a huge winning position after that. Toxic is for Blowbro in the psychic match-up since the Lopunny pivot is mostly that. I have Porygon Z which used to be specs but I ended up using scarf instead which helps a ton with speed control. Chansey also had healing wish over toxic, but we needed to pressure Zapdos with rocks up. Replays here:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-1162208502
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6monotype-1318911293

Saving the rest for MPL, apologies for my annoying attitude to certain teammates at times.(As well as some friends Attribute maroon maki decem for week 1) Just expected a little more as a group, but I for sure will take accountability and say I could have went about it a better way, sorry.

Enjoy :heart:

Last edited:

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Better late than never I suppose. While I still don't believe in passing out entire Monothreat teams, I don't see much reason not to highlight some key sets or ideas I came up with for this tournament. I'd like to thank K3ppr and Moosical for putting up with my constant questions, tests, and, to put it bluntly, listening to me talk to myself.

Poison (vs Bouff)
Neurotoxking (Slowking-Galar) (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Yawn

A-Crobat-Ics (Crobat) (M)
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
Defensively speaking, Crobat + Slowking-G is a great core because aside from the Nidos, what Crobat dislikes, Nihilego, the Slows, and Toxtricity most notably, Slowking-G can take and vise versa with Crobat taking on Drapion and potentially even Scolipede. I did not see if anywhere else but I think Yawn Slowking-G is a great strat to force switches, prevent Drapion from setting up freely vs you when it comes in on the switch, and is Slowking's go-to way to prevent set up. It also acts as a soft check for Scolipede with Shuca Psychic and can OHKO the likes of Nihilego and threaten other Slowking-G with Psyshock. I am still of the opinion that Crobat has little to no great switchins so going as offensive as I could with no item to better take on Drapion was key. My team struggled against Nihi if it was used vs Crobat without Zen Headbutt and U-turn is mighty nice to gain momentum and capitalize on Weezing-G or other bulky switchins. Taunt is also a nice option but I didn't think it fit this team as well as the other moves. Unfortunately I couldn't show the Slowking off in my game but I still want to highlight the set because Slowking-G is massively unexplored. Also that pun name is too good not to use even if it spoils the set K3ppr u_u

Normal (vs Sae)
Unbearable (Bewear) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 180 HP / 68 Atk / 112 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Drain Punch
- Roar

Hybrid (Silvally) @ Normal Gem
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Explosion
- Tailwind
- Swords Dance
This was my most unfortunate game in a Tournament and while it left a bad taste in my mouth for Normal, I still want to showcase the Silvally that no one got to see. My team was focused around offensive Bewear, hence Unnerve, under Tailwind. Bewear is designed to take a Cotton Guard boosted Dubwool and Roar it out if necessary.. and I forgot it was Chople during my game :blobsweat: although I don't think it mattered too much since Sae shouldn't sack Tauros to a likely max Def Fluffy Bewear but I digress. Normal Gem SD Silvally does a chunk or outright OHKOs the entirity of the metagame if you can pull it off as Explosion is non contact so Bewear isn't going to be happy, either. All the move choices for them are fairly straightforward and I forgot what I speed crept but they seemed to do fine. (Can anyone else guess I haven't played this type since my game?)

Rock (vs Fraolain)
April (Diancie) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Encore
- Body Press
- Diamond Storm
- Rest

Lacerater (Kabutops) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Giga Drain
- Superpower
These two aren't a core per se but I like the sets enough to mention them. Diancie was essentially my Sticky Web win con in hopes I get Def boosts vs Shuckle and by the time they kill Diancie, she has done a lot of damage. She is also great at sponging hits or breaking a Chople if needed. It takes a surprising amount from Terrakion still at max HP max Def but as long as it is not boosted in any way, you should be able to take 2 CCs, iirc. And the irony that is my Kabutops. He's just a good Pokemon and it's always helpful having priority from him. I did not expect Fraolain to know about the Giga Drain tech, which is ultimately what I lost to, but it goes to show that Kabutops is a menace to take down and its support role is very much appreciated.

You guys can have my BW teams since I only made them to have fun, and they seemed to do well in the end:
Dark: https://pokepast.es/21b7855204c49cb3
Grass: https://pokepast.es/378427e980b685a1
Super duper top secret never tell Jyph type: https://pokepast.es/160212e62ce62c19

Psychic (vs ToxaNex)
- I removed the EVs from these ones since I want to keep them a secret, atleast for now, so sorry! -
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Recover

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Trick
- Spikes
I have always been intrigued by Celebi in Psychic as it is one of the few Pokemon that resists Bolt Strike from Victini so it pairs very well with Slowbro but I didn't want a super passive Leech Seed + U-turn one, either. I came up with the SD variant that has been doing well for me and it also pairs well with the Mew. I has a suspicion Canada would use a set up Mew set because both ToxaNex and Kevin used it in the past so I decided to use a Mew to check that Mew and capitalize on it. I am a big fan of Choice Trick users to limit set up potential and having another Pokemon that can heal up and that can help Celebi stall out Slowking-G is amazing to say the least. You can probably use U-Turn over Knock on Mew so you are less liable of Knocking the Pokemon you Tricked thinking about it now but Knock is still a great, spammable move that's hard to go wrong with in this type.

Water (vs TonyFlygon)
Mrs. Lillypad (Ludicolo) (F) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 12 HP / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Encore

Wartmonger (Seismitoad) (M) @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Poison Jab
- Rock Tomb
I finally used Ludicolo! Credits to TJ for the Eject Pack idea. Eject Pack is cool on Ludicolo because the main switch in is Toxapex or Gyarados and you can capitalize on the momentum with Starmie, Seis, or Rotom-W. Obviously my Seis did not have EQ because I was wary about them bringing Ludicolo but it could still be a good way to force Toxapex out and get SR up to secure your advantage. Encore is a great way to prevent set up, notice a trend yet?, and Synthesis is obviously nice for the ditto, Gyara, or Rotom-W. My Seis was unfortunately crit in the game when the max roll was 100.6% and I was at 100% but it happens. Rock Tomb was a last minute addition to prevent Gyara from freely setting up vs Seismitoad due to the lack of Atk making Rock Slide less effective, and the Rindo + max HP was intended for Adamant max +0 Power Whip. It has a great base Speed for what it needs to outpace and it doesn't hurt to use Swift Swim on him just on the off chance you run into Rain.

Overall I am happy with my builds because they are all unique creations I spent a lot of time crafting and perfecting to the best of my ability. While my performance record does not show for the effort, it was still fun to relive and compete in Monothreat again after not for I believe 2yrs prior. If anyone has further questions about my builds, thought process, or whatever feel free to shoot me a PM. Monothreat finally has usage to go off of so I'd like to thank the hosts for allowing us to alter the type selection process to make it happen.. poor Electric. I just wrote what came to mind and it is all unedited so hf if something's not completely coherent :sweat_smile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)