My 1st Team for OU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got into Comp. battling and won a few games using this team but just lately im struggling a bit. any feedback/help would be great :D

The basis of the team is setup rain will politoad for Gyrados to come in and setup and sweep in the rain. and the other attackers are for coverage.. and both defensive pokes cover each other well as well (I think): anyway here is the team with descriptions as to why i chose it!:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

Basically Latios is used for revenge killing, i normally use it to come in out outspeed and OKO most things.. or to trick if im playing against a defensive team.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 172 HP / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder

I Picked Magnazone just to deal with Ferathorn.. even in the rain a HP Fire will 2 hit kill it even with leftys.. Also i swapped out TBlot for Thunder due to rain..

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Scald
- Toxic
- Rest

Politoad is used to set up rain.. and to encore people who try to setup... also scald is nice to to scare a burn is they switch out.. and toxic is always nice to have..

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Careful Nature
- Giga Drain
- Heal Bell
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

My special defensive poke i mainly use it for PAR'ing scarfers and Heal bell to keep my team status free.. and u-turn for scouting..

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Phyically defensive donphan to setup and spin away rocks... nothing else to say?

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Bounce

The main sweeper of the team... in the rain, the plan is to usually Sub then DD to setup then a DD rain boosted waterfall if pretty lethal I've found..

To conclude, as i've said im new to this whole thing, so i might be talking rubbish? but i think i know what im doing... but yeh any feedback would be great...

Cheers guys!!

Quite a nice team for a starter! My first OU team was made by choosing pokemon i like the most and trying to make a functioning team out of it haha (well it did work).

Let me go over your team quick:
Latios
Nice moveset, but to go a little simpler i'd go for a Latios with:
- Psychic: STAB ftw and has a chance to lower SpD
- Ice Beam/Thunder Bolt: i'd primarily go for Ice Beam, since 3 of your Pokemon have a 2x weakness to Ice, but Thunder Bolt can be quite handy too
- Recovery: i feel that recovery is always a must for Latios/Latias, it can really help you out in battle
- Dragon Pulse: STAB of course
Give it a Soul Dew, keep the EV spread the same, and done!

Magnezone:
Nice moveset, good EV spread, and Thunder is definitely a good choice because of Drizzle Politoed. Good job! ;)

Politoed:
Good overall, but instead of Encore and Rest, try Perish Song and Protect, it's a nice to way to stall your foes and piss em of to having to switch whole the time (that way you can toxicate their whole team)

Celebi:
I absolutely adore Celebi, but sadly i have never used it before, but this seems like a good moveset and all to me, so keep him that way.

Donphan:
I have seen a couple of Donphan's before in CB and this seems as the best moveset for it. But instead of your current EV spread, try 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def and give it a Adamant nature, just seems to fit better for this moveset.

Gyarados:
Tsssskk i don't really know about Gyarados, he seems like a good CB'r, but it's 4x weakness to Electric really bugs me... Maybe try replacing him with Jellicent, i heard he's great in rain teams!
Here are some good choices i found for Jellicent (got em from pokemondb):
(1st Choice)
Nature: Calm, Quirky
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Moveset:
- Hex: STAB, covers ghost weaknesses
- Will-o-Wisp: Status Burn, doubles the damage of Hex
- Water Spout: STAB, more powerful at over 50% of HP
- Recover: Keeping you healthy, helps Water Spout

(2nd Choice)
Nature: Calm, Quirky
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Def
Moveset:
- Shadow Ball: STAB, covers ghost weaknesses
- Ice Beam: covers grass weaknesses/Surf: STAB, surfer
- Water Spout: STAB, more powerful at over 50% of HP
- Recover: Keeping you healthy, helps Water Spout

I hope my suggestions can help! Sorry if it's a bit long, but this way it's hopefully more clear to you than just a long boring story.

Good Luck!

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
da rulez said:
Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you are having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

This does not mean add one sentence saying "Standard x" or "all-around awesome" after each Pokemon. If you put thought into making the team, you can put thought into posting it. The standard description length required is three to four lines, if you need more insight look on the detail part, check out the RMT Archive.
Sorry, but I'm gonna lock this thread because it breaks that rule. If you want it unlocked, simply PM me descriptions that are up to standard and I'll unlock it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)