My attemp at a not-cliched OU team

If theres one thing i hate the most is seeing the same 4 pokemon(you know who you are) every OU battle. And in general I don't like being cliche in a competitive game. So I tried constructing a new OU team with mainly unseen pokemon, some BLs too. I'm here to find out how to make it better, but when you make suggestions, dont suggest Scizor or something like that, i really dont like using them

The Team at a Glance

Ambipom (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Double Hit
- Fire Punch

A great anti-lead, he beats Infernape 100%of the time(well technically 90% of the time because of double hit's accuracy). Fake out does fabulous damge to most leads, and takes a very large chunk from Azelf especially. Double hit is great STAB, taking out non-bulky Zapdos, Azelf and Infernape after a Fake out. Fire punch is for the increasingly common Jirachi leads, Skarmory and Bronzong. U-turn is to get the hell outta there and does decent damge to Tyranitar. Only doesnt do well against Aero leads
---

Shades (Yanmega) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power Ground
- Whirlwind

TintedSpecs Mega, very unexpected and can rip through unprepared teams. Most people expect a Speed Boost Mega, and switch to their-usually-steel counter, only to eat a Bug Buzz or Air SLash behind 456 SpA and Tinted lens, which pretty much ensures atleast a neutral strength hit. For some reason alot of people I face switch again after their Skarmory lost half his health, and then hurt another one of their poke's.HP Ground obviously for Heatran. Whirlwind is to phaze out the biggest threat to my team, a CM Cune. This guy is preferably early game, as theres a less chance of SR being out
---

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/40 SAtk/96 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Discharge
- Toxic

Ah, probably the best Gyarados counter in the game. Porygon2 boasts the fantastic Trace, which makes it a great Gyarados, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Heatran and Salmence counters as they use thier absorb abilites/bounce intimidate back at them. The boltbeam combo makes great coverage, and toxic wears down some walls. I'm thinking of using HP ground over Toxic though, to take out Magnezone who I can't touch.
---

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Return
- Pursuit

A pretty great scarfer. All his attacks take large chunks out of bulky waters and intimidate is always a nice ability. Close combat is a fantastic move always, and Brave Bird does ridiculous damage to non-resistant. And I really needed a choice scarf, so I chose the bird. oh and pursuit over U-turn because I commonly U-turn from Ambipom to Staraptor and Shoddy locks you into u-turn if you have a choice item
---

Empoleon (M) @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 28 HP/12 Def/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Agility
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

A fantastic late game sweeper and just underestimated in general. Water/Steel is obviously fantastic defense combination which lets me switch into Salmence, Gyarados and bulky waters. The point here is to sub down to a petaya activation and hopefully get an agility off with his resistances, and then proceed to sweep with Torrent and a SpA boost. Even some bulky waters like Vaporeon take pretty big hits from surf(obviously not Vaporeon though)
---

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 24 Atk/232 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

My only top ten pokemon on this team, made to cover my big fire and steal weakness at once. Stealth rock was sacrificed for the hit on Flygon and Slamence. I dont think i should have to go in depth on his moveset...

threats list:

Zapdos: Porygon ice beams and tries to paralysis hax, and Empoleon can usually survive a T-bolt and fire back an ice beam
Celebi: porygon takes natural cure to ignore toxic and fires ice beams, as does Empoleon. Staraptor Braves Bird for a KO, and Infernape threatens with Flamethrower.Ambipom also has uturn
Jirachi: Infenape is my best answer with CC or Flamethrower, but scarfed ones typically have psychic, which hurts.
Bronzong: Ambipom usually wins this one with fire punch, and Yanmega hits hard with Bug Buzz. Infernape needs to watch out for EQ, but takes on Zong with flamethrower
Tyranitar: Yanmega will KO with Buzz usually after an Ambipom u-turn, and Ape&Raptor KO with CC.
Scizor: Obviously Ape, and Ambipon might also work. Non-superpowered ones get set up on by Empoleon
Vaporeon: Porygon traces water absorb and fires off Discharge, and Staraptor can threaten it with BB
Suicune: A real thorn in my side if it CMs, but i can hopefully blow it away. Infernape is usually my best answer sadly, but Grass Knot gets it done and CC does about 30%
Salmence: Empoleon switches into Draco Meteor and can maybe pull of an Ice beam, Infernape can revenge kill with HP Ice.
Gyarados: Porygon cancels out his DD with Trace, and can usually get atleast a 2KO with Discharge
Cress: Another thorn-in-my-side Cmer, I usually resort to yanmega, but Ambipom can cause some hurt with U-turn and Fake out.
Breloom: Nothing here to absorb sleep, but Empoleon can usually win vs the focus sets, and porygon also has Ice Beam to threaten with
Machamp: Can get pretty annoying with confusion,but I can revenge kill Staraptor or Yanmega
Gengar: I dont have a great answer to Gengar unforuntely, the best i can do is hit with Staraptor's BB

Rate.Comment.Discuss​

I used Psychic over Whirlwind on my Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega, mostly for Gengar. Seems like Gengars usually try to sleep instead of Tbolt (if they even run it). Without any rocks of spikes, Phazing seems silly.

The best thing against CM Suicine that I've ever found is Encore. If he is a big problem for you, find a spot for it. I also run Vaporeon though, in the off chance that I mispredict with Encore and get him locked in Surf.

Is that a typo on Ampibom or is it really timid? If its not a typo you want jolly to not hinder its attack
rofl, i cant believe i havent noticed that in the week of running this so far

@Automatic, what viable encores are there in OU? My standards arent low enought o run Loppunny and Jumpluff just to counter Suicune

I run Clefable(Flame Orb), who is completely awesome at what it does. I run Encore/Trick/SToss and Cosmic Power. Clefable can run many many different sets, can switch into status(usually already being burned).

I use Trick to ruin Physical sweepers that switch into Clefable and eat it.

I feel Encore does a better job than Tricking a Scarf or something because you wouldn't believe how many people try to stay in and let Encore run out thinking that they can survive. I've always wanted to try Facade over SToss, but have just never done it. Clefable can run hella sets. It's a good encorer that's been on my team for a very long time, and will likely stay.

And boy do I love when Scizor switches into it, because 8 out of 10 times it's going to SD.

I run Clefable(Flame Orb), who is completely awesome at what it does. I run Encore/Trick/SToss and Cosmic Power. Clefable can run many many different sets, can switch into status(usually already being burned).

I use Trick to ruin Physical sweepers that switch into Clefable and eat it.

I feel Encore does a better job than Tricking a Scarf or something because you wouldn't believe how many people try to stay in and let Encore run out thinking that they can survive. I've always wanted to try Facade over SToss, but have just never done it. Clefable can run hella sets. It's a good encorer that's been on my team for a very long time, and will likely stay.

And boy do I love when Scizor switches into it, because 8 out of 10 times it's going to SD.
I know how much of a bitch Clefable is in UU, but i think putting it in would exacerbate a fighting weakness on my team

honestly, just having yanmega in a non lead position, plus a choiced staraptor means you really really want a spinner...maybe a starmie in place of your empoleon, who can do some pretty hard hitting with similar coverage, but wont be sweeping unless it's late game...

Hmm, off the bat I also noticed a rock problem because of Yanmega, but I believe your weakness to fighting is a bigger problem once Staraptor is gone and Yanmega is worn down by rocks. I would suggest a really bulky Starmie to get rid of rocks. The thing that bothers me is this could open up a hole for some Outrager like Flygon or Mence, which hopefully Porgyon could handle after a traced intimidate. Hope that was of some help. ._.

I admire your attempt of trying to be different; I also get bored of the same stallish or standard heavy OU teams simply to reach top in a ladder ranking.

On Porygon2, I much prefer Thunder Wave over Toxic. It's much more annoying to the sweepers, and it can potentially turn the opposing team's most fearsome sweeper into setup fodder. It might be worth substituting Discharge for Thunderbolt in that case. 148 SpA EVs garuntees the OHKO on 4 HP Gyara, if you're interested.

Hmm, off the bat I also noticed a rock problem because of Yanmega, but I believe your weakness to fighting is a bigger problem once Staraptor is gone and Yanmega is worn down by rocks. I would suggest a really bulky Starmie to get rid of rocks. The thing that bothers me is this could open up a hole for some Outrager like Flygon or Mence, which hopefully Porgyon could handle after a traced intimidate. Hope that was of some help. ._.
i was also thinking of Starmie at one point for a water type team slot. Empoleon has some resistances I really like, and replacing him takes some needed power. I am willing to compromise Staraptor or maybe Porygon for a spinner though, but Starmie woulkd give me a nasty electtric weakness. I had Donphan at one point on this team, but it really left me pretty weak (although infernape hadnt been on the team at the time)
On Porygon2, I much prefer Thunder Wave over Toxic. It's much more annoying to the sweepers, and it can potentially turn the opposing team's most fearsome sweeper into setup fodder. It might be worth substituting Discharge for Thunderbolt in that case. 148 SpA EVs garuntees the OHKO on 4 HP Gyara, if you're interested.
Discharge's paralysis rate is pretty decent (especially if i happend to trace a serene grace somewhere) and it would be pretty redundant to add T-wave. Toxic is really helpful to wear down bulky waters, and discharge already usually does enough to take down a worn out Gyara(although they usually switch on the intimidate)

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Whirlwind on a Choiced Yanmega is a bad idea, because yanmega doesn't have the defenses to phaze. I would replace it with Psychic or U-turn (U-turn is mainly to get the jump on the blissey switch in). Lucario can come in on a lot of your team and if it gets a Swords Dance your team will be severely damaged. You also lack a safe switch-in to the Rotom Forms.

To remedy this you could replace Infernape with a Scarfed Heatran. Infernape is very frail so it cannot be relied on to take too many fire and steel moves.

Heatran is immune to fire and 4x resists steel. Heatran will help you take on a lot of common threats such as Lucario, Rotom Forms, infernape and many more. With its considerable bulk and resistances it will be able to come in easily time and time again.

I know heatran adds another fighting weakness, but the good thing is it can revenge kill nearly all fighters and can come in on a non-stab move and scare most of them away.

I would run the following moveset on Heatran:

Naive / Hasty (would you prefer to take surfs or outrages?) @ Choice Scarf

Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Earth Power
Explosion
Stealth Rock / Hidden Power Ice or Grass.

On Empoleon I would suggest using Grass Knot over Ice Beam as Grass Knot will help you against most of Empoleons counters (bulky waters in general). The things that you would be using Ice Beam on are hit hard by a boosted Surf, salamence takes around 75% just to give you an idea.

Heatran causes a lot of switches so Stealth Rock is an good choice on Heatran and it will really help your team.

Yanmega is a good pokemon but only as a lead. If you replace Infernape with Heatran you are more vulnerable to Blissey. To remedy this, while still keeping the fighting resist you could add a tentacruel. Toxic spikes support is great because it helps to beat the few things that can beat empoleon (such as vaporeon and blissey). Yanmega will usually only get one or two chances to attack with Sandstorm and Stealth Rocks. Tentacruel would also give you an infernape counter which is very helpful.

You mentioned that Calm Mind cune is a problem. You could use Haze on tentacruel to remove its boosts. I would suggest the following moveset on tentacruel

Toxic Spikes
Surf
Haze / Rapid Spin / Sludge Bomb
Haze / Rapid Spin / Sludge Bomb

This allows you to haze scizors Swords Dances and Suicune Calm Minds.

Phew that was a lot of writing. Hope I helped and good luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)