SV OU My first attempt at making an OU team. Looking for improvement or suggestion

Here’s the team
https://pokepast.es/c26ebb8c8d42d7ab

I’ve been meaning to create an OU team without the use of any paradox pokemon or the four beast of ruin since those pokemon are banned when I played link battles with friends and on SV ranked battles. So this team is created under the assumption that those pokemons would be off limit. This is my first attempt at creating one so feel free to criticise or give suggestion :p
Explanation for the team

:grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Spirit Break

I had the inspiration for this team when I encountered a grimmsnarl and skeledirge combo on ranked single battle. Prankster pretty much guarantees at least one screen to be set up. However, with grimmsnarl bulk it could set up both screens pretty easily most of the time. Taunt is there to prevent opponents lead from setting up. I chose spirit break over parting shot as I feel with both screens up any pokemon can safely switch in afterwards and having a damaging move on grimmsnarl is nice to deal heavy damage to unsuspecting dragon pokemon. Tera type could be whatever since you are most likely not gonna tera with this mon as its main duty is just to set up screens. The ev spread maximise special defense as most steel and poison type move that is popular in the current meta are special attack (e.g flash cannon hydreigon, make it rain, amoongus sludge bomb, etc.)

:skeledirge:
Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Slack Off

The main physical wall on the team. With both screens up, it can safely cripple one of the opponents physical attacker with will-o-wisp. Torch song is there to get a nice boost on sp attack when opponents switch in. Shadow ball is there to hit gholdengo and dragapult (2 of the most popular mons in this gen) for heavy damage. Slack off is just there for recovery, making this mons pretty difficult to take down. The main bread and butter of the set is the tera fire, removing its weaknesses to ghost and dark leaving only water, rock and ground as its weaknesses. Rock attack is not that popular in this meta barring garchomp rock slide or tyranitar. However, skeledirge can pretty safely tank those move especially with reflect up and cripple them with will o wisp in return. Unaware makes it easy for him to switch safely to a boosted garchomp and cripple him in return

:clodsire:
Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Recover

The main special wall on this team and also its hazard setter. It covers skeledirge weaknesses to water move especially with the threat of hero form palafin. Yawn is there to force switch out and give them rocks damage while earthquake is there for damage dealing stab move. Ground tera type remove its weaknesses to earthquake if needed. Although I tend to struggle when palafin carried ice punch which deals heavy damage to him.

:dragonite:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch

The main physical sweeper of this team. Ive loved this pokemon ever since I used him in gen 5. With the advent of gen 9 came tera normal dragonite with extreme speed which boosted his power even more. The ev spread is focused on his bulk to ensure an almost guaranteed dragon dance especially combined with multiscale. Lum berry allows dragonite to get a free outrage to deal heavy damage to pokemon resistant or immune to normal type and to OHKO opposing dragonite after a dragon dance. Fire punch is there to deal with steel type that resist both extreme speed and outrage particularly since steel type with levitate or air balloon such as gholdengo is pretty popular nowadays. After one dragon dance, dragonite pretty much outspeed almost every pokemon and those that he didnt outsped can be dealt with a boosted extreme speed.

:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

The special sweeper for this team. With the popularity of amoongus in the current meta, I have to get a pokemon that can switch in to amoongus safely. Good as gold is an amazing ability to allows gholdengo as a switch in to pokemon relying on status move or taunt. Substitute allows gholdengo to safely deal damage to incoming switch in before he switches out again if the opposing switch in are faster. If the opponent pokemon are slower, a sub allows gholdengo to nasty plot and deals heavy damage to opposing pokemon. Tera steel is there to boost the power of MIR while removing its weakness to ghost type. Air balloon is a neat item on gholdengo as it grants him immunity on earthquake when hes being switched in for a yawn clodsire.

:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird

The last defensive pivot for this team. He acts as a defogger since stealth rock prevents dragonite from utilizing multiscale properly. It also covers both weaknesses of skeledirge and clodsire to ground move. Roost is there to allow corviknight to stay on the field longer while brave bird is its main stab damaging move. The tera is flying to remove its weaknesses to fire and provide a damage boost to brave bird.

There you go, if you guys found any weaknesses or holes in the team feel free to point it out as I wanted to perfect this tem :). Thanks

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I can't say for certain how good this team will be in the Ruin-less, Paradox-less meta, (I'm sure it'll be fine) but as for OU, it looks decently solid enough. My main concern is that it seems very very weak to Dondozo teams, with nothing that can really break specially defensive sets, which are quite common since Curse sets are such effective win conditions.

I would consider switching Gholdengo to a choice set with Trick to cripple Dondozo.

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Nasty Plot / Focus Blast

You could also go specs if you prefer more immediate power. Otherwise, it maintains a lot of the same utility that NP sets have, in terms of coming in on Amoonguss and such, while giving you a way to stop an annoying foe. Plus, Dnite loves when the opponent's Don is crippled. Further, in the case you are playing a paradox-less meta, I feel like Balloon isn't as useful if you don't have to worry about Great Tusk / Iron Treads.

Hope this helps!

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Oh man, its always cool to see some guy´s first teams, because when you look baack, youll see your growth, besides, who doesnt love building teams to beat your friends with
now, im not very experienced when it comes to rating, building and doing this kind of stuff, but i want to try

the first thing is skele, the set need a bit of fixing

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Torch Song
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off

Hex takes better advantage with WoW, and fairy is gonna remove its Dark Weakness, it also does get a neutrality to water and fire, 2 common type of attacks, the Ives are basically for overall bulk and safety

another one i see that could use some work is Dragonite, now, idk if your friends are gonna bring stealth rock, but should consider heavy duty boots and/or Roost, so that you can preserve multiscale, multiscale is gonna save you from a big one

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

this is an example of a bulky DDDnite, 96 speed lets you outrun the base 100, and the rest are dedicated power and sustentability, Roost and tera normal also lets you brawl with garganacl if you happen to found one, still, if you think that Stealth Rock is not gonna be an issue, you can just go with Lum berry and fire punch, i actually like the idea

Lasty, for Clodsire, change tera into dark, because Clod Dark transforms your usual streghs into weaknesses, and vice versa, meaning things like surprise psyichics and ground moves are gonna deal less, one thing to consider is Leftovers vs Black Sludge, leftovers is better for when you tera so that you can keep self healing, but black sludge lets you lure pokemon with trick, and now they are taking damage. (And what im about to suggest is more of a cool trick to catch people off guard) is to pack Haze on the clod, since your water absorb, haze lets you remove the boost, like Unawere

and thats probably it, i hope this helps on your crusade to beat everyone, have a good one

The fairy skeledirge suggestion is brilliant! I dont have to rely on clodsire when palafin come out and risk getting ice punched and can just cripple palafin straight up. Yea actually garganacl gave me serious issue before when I played rank using that ddnite set, I think earthquake might be better for that. Thanks for the suggestion :). Ideally I wanted to put heavy duty boots on both skele and ddnite however, ranked single battle in SV battle stadium have same item clause hence, I chose to put boots on skele instead. The rule is not present in link battles so I think Ill put boots on both of them. Thanks

I can't say for certain how good this team will be in the Ruin-less, Paradox-less meta, (I'm sure it'll be fine) but as for OU, it looks decently solid enough. My main concern is that it seems very very weak to Dondozo teams, with nothing that can really break specially defensive sets, which are quite common since Curse sets are such effective win conditions.

I would consider switching Gholdengo to a choice set with Trick to cripple Dondozo.

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Nasty Plot / Focus Blast

You could also go specs if you prefer more immediate power. Otherwise, it maintains a lot of the same utility that NP sets have, in terms of coming in on Amoonguss and such, while giving you a way to stop an annoying foe. Plus, Dnite loves when the opponent's Don is crippled. Further, in the case you are playing a paradox-less meta, I feel like Balloon isn't as useful if you don't have to worry about Great Tusk / Iron Treads.

Hope this helps!
Oh true I forgot about donzo. Trick choice set would actually be good since I can cripple switch in immediately. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)