Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Calm
EVS: 252Hp, 4SpA, 252SpD
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Surf
- Toxic
Gastrodon plays a vital role within my team, thanks to a suggestion by Steeli. It absorbs rain boosted water attacks that would rip through Pokémon and in return powering up its Special Attack. Gastrodon also neutralizes electric moves that can harm my team, being that I have a pretty big electric weakness. Recover prolongs the life of Gastrodon and Toxic is to hurt Pokémon that Surf and Ice Beam can't touch.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Nature: Adamant
EVS: 252Hp, 252Atk, 4Spe
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Superpower
- Waterfall
Anyone order up a migraine? This set was also suggested to me by Steeli. With max attack invested and under the effects of Huge Power and a Choice Band equals overwhelming force. His attack goes from a wimpy 218 to an incredible 654. Aqua Jet in the rain equates to 80BP, giving Azumarill the ability to stop a sweeper dead in its tracks. Waterfall is for an alternate powerful STAB move, while Superpower was chosen to deal with pesky steel and grass/bug types, notably Forretress, Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Escavalier. Ice Punch is for dealing with Dragon types as well as Flying and Grass types whom may want to switch in to stop Azumarill cold.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Nature: Bold
EVS: 252Hp, 252Def, 4SpD
- Protect
- Rest
- Scald
- Toxic
Politoed is my natural compliment to my sweep-stopping Azumarill. It gives Azumarill the rain support it needs to wreck Waterly havoc on the opposing team, as well as insure 100% accuracy for Latias and Thundurus move Thunder. As for the HP Scald's purpose, is to provoke potential burns on enemy physical sweepers to severly hamper their ability to sweep. Toxic is to eat away at foes and protect and rest is to prolong Toxic's effectiveness.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Bold
EVS: 252Hp, 252Def, 4SpD
- Pain Split
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
Full support Forretress. Sets up spikes and stealth rock for good switch-in damage, enabling me to pick off weakened foes with Azumarill's Aqua Jet mid to late-game. Pain Split is to prolong Forretress longevity as well as Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards that will ensure my team is nice and healthy on the switch in. With Sturdy and Forretress at full hp, he can easily endure a hit, and Pain Split over half the opponent's HP away [if left at 1HP.] making Forretress a dangerous force.

Latios @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVS: 4Hp, 252SpA, 252Spe
- Dragon Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Thunder
Latios, like Thundurus, can hit many types for 2x Damage. Whatever it cannot hit for Super Effective Damage will be hit for normal damage. Dragon Meteor was chosen for Latios main STAB move, and only resisted by Steel types. Ice beam is for dealing with Gliscor or Landorus, as well as hitting Grass types hard. Thunder's accuracy in rain becomes 100%, meaning there is a significantly small miss to hit ratio, and is chosen for massive damage. And lastly, Surf is chosen for a 190BP Hard-hitting move in the Rain, which hits practically anything for massive damage except Rain Dish / Water Absorb Pokémon.

Thundurus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Modest
EVS: 4Hp, 252SpA, 252Spe
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder
Basically this Pokémon explains itself. An omnipotent being, able to hit 11 out of 17 types for at least 2x Damage. Practically with those numbers, he can hit anything for normal damage, making Thundurus a viable late-game sweeper. Add this dude into an equation where your opponent's team is crippled, and you get catastrophe.

=================================================================================

Overall, I have tweaked this team a lot so far; meaning common weaknesses that I have encountered have been removed by consolidating my team. I need your help now 5th Gen community, as for since my "newbie status" to B/W, I am only able to do so much to spot things on my team. Please help me! ~Justine

=================================================================================

That Basculin is, well, terrible. Hidden Power fire, in the rain, is practically useless. For a powerful aqua jet, go for Azumarill.
On Forretress, you would be better with a more defensive spread. Also Explosion should probably be switched to Gyro ball or toxic spikes
Fake out + choice band on mienshao isnt a good idea.
You have 4 cchoiced pokemon. That will Cause problems. I would put a life orb on Mienshao.

That Basculin is, well, terrible. Hidden Power fire, in the rain, is practically useless. For a powerful aqua jet, go for Azumarill.
On Forretress, you would be better with a more defensive spread. Also Explosion should probably be switched to Gyro ball or toxic spikes
Fake out + choice band on mienshao isnt a good idea.
You have 4 cchoiced pokemon. That will Cause problems. I would put a life orb on Mienshao.
I will change Mienshao's item to Life Orb, as he needs to be able to switch attacks to be more effective.
Forretress, I will try out defensive EVS instead of attack evs.
Basculin, I will experiment with different hidden powers to see which one works best.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there,

As FlashDriveDS already said, Azumarrill is a better than Basculin. First of all, its attack stat is huge, it reaches the 400ish with an Adamant nature, while Basculin doesn't even have base 100 attack, which is rather pathetic considering you're using a Choice Banded version. Adaptibility is nice and all, but Azumarrill's power is greater. Not only that, but the fact it gets Superpower lets it OHKO Ferrothorn, which is a big bonus, considering the fact HP Fire from Basculin will barely scratch it. It is also a LOT bulkier. Here's the set you should use :

Azumarrill @ Choice Band / Adamant / Huge Power (Don't use Thick Fat!) / 252 HP - 252 Atk - 4 Spe
Aqua Jet - Waterfall - Superpower - Ice Punch/Return

Another thing you should be aware of is that your team can't switch on Rotom-W. This isn't really an ideal situation considering you're using a Rain team. You have no Thunder resist, and Hydro Pump's idiotically high base power will tear apart anything on your team. If the opponent doesn't play like an idiot, facing one means you lose. The change I would make is Gastrodon for Deoxys-D, Forretress for Ferrothorn or Mienshao for Lati@s. Since the lead position is pretty dead in gen 5, I would go for Gastrodon. You already have an entry hazard setter in Forretress, and Deoxys-D is only good for setting them up (at least in OU). Gastrodon is also able to beat Thundurus, a threat you have to revenge kill with your current team. Here's the set you should use :

Gastrodon @ Leftovers / Calm / Storm Drain / 252 HP - 4 SpA - 252 SpD
Surf - Toxic - Ice Beam - Recover

And a minor change : Dark Pulse is pointless on Thundurus. A super effective Dark Pulse is weaker than a neutral Thunder, and a NVE Thunder is more powerful than a neutral Dark Pulse. The only thing you will end up hitting harder than Thunder with Dark Pulse is Exeggutor, which is already covered by HP Ice. Change Dark Pulse for Grass Knot, which will end up being useless most of the time, but at least it lets you kill random Swamperts. It is also your best bet against Gastrodon and Quagsire.

Wall of generously typed text.
Good advice, I think Basculin would be way more viable on an RU RainDance team, where I can smack people all day with this set [except HP Fire]. I'll give your Azumarill set a test as well as Gastrodon over DeoxysD. I have never tried Lati@s before and I'll give her a shot.. I figured that Dark Pulse sucked, because I hit more with Thunder on Rotom-H than Dark Pulse in a few previous matches. Changing Dark Pulse to Grass Knot as well.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overall cool rain team with a couple of things though.
If you aren't using Nasty Plot, then Tornadus is almost always better than Thunderus in Rain. I say this because of Hurricane, which has overall superior spammability as compared to Thunder. Specs Hurricane can tear through so much that you will rarely need the extra type coverage. For example, Latias can be 2HKO'd with Hurricane, but not Thunder. Hurricane even hits harder than HP Ice in this case. Gliscor can switch in on Thunder and set up some stuff, but is wrecked by Hurricane. Ferrothorn is always 2HKO'd by Hurricane; you wouldn't want to Focus Blast because it is not the best move to get locked into. Therefore, change Specs Thunderus to specs Tornadus. Thunder to Hurricane, with HP Ice, FB/Hammer Arm, filler is a good move set.

To sum it up, use Hurricane to ease prediction.

If you aren't using Nasty Plot, then Tornadus is almost always better than Thunderus in Rain. I say this because of Hurricane, which has overall superior spammability as compared to Thunder. Specs Hurricane can tear through so much that you will rarely need the extra type coverage. For example, Latias can be 2HKO'd with Hurricane, but not Thunder. Hurricane even hits harder than HP Ice in this case. Gliscor can switch in on Thunder and set up some stuff, but is wrecked by Hurricane. Ferrothorn is always 2HKO'd by Hurricane; you wouldn't want to Focus Blast because it is not the best move to get locked into. Therefore, change Thunderus to Tornadus. Just change Thunder to Hurricane; the rest of the moves can remain.

To sum it up, use Hurricane to ease prediction.
I'll look into Tornadus right now, but you may want to look again at this team, as I have just made adjustments and remove Pokés.

Here is the 5th gen OU offensive threat list. I recommend you look through it, and check your team's weaknesses. The bolded names are ones you might have trouble with right now.
Aerodactyl -
Archeops -
Azelf -
Bisharp -
Breloom - Without Thundurus or Deoxys-D the SubPunch set with Seed Bomb will do heavy damage to your team, and with Stone Edge it can take out Thundurus, assuming it is asleep. Breloom resists Aqua Jet as well, and can essentially take out a Pokemon with Spore.
Chandelure -
Cobalion -
Conkeldurr - Your only way of stopping Bulk Up Conkeldurr is Thundurus, and that's assuming Thunder OHKOs (I haven't ran calcs).
Darmanitan -
Deoxys-S -
Dragonite - Multiscale Dragonite is a big problem for your current team. Explosion doesn't OHKO Dragonite, and neither does your Basculin's Ice Beam. Mienshao's Stone Edge does significant damage, but after a DD, Dragonite can outspeed and OHKO Mienshao. A simple DD set can run through your team: the only Pokemon on your team that walls it is Forretress, and Forretress doesn't have reliable recovery.
Druddigon -
Eelektross -
Electivire -
Emboar -
Empoleon -
Espeon -
Escavalier -
Excadrill -
Genesect -
Gengar -
Golurk -
Gyarados -
Haxorus -
Heatran -
Heracross -
Hydreigon - A possible threat to your team. Hydreigon has amazing coverage, and the LO set can do major damage. Even in the rain, Fire Blast should do very good damage to Forretress. It outspeeds and OHKOs your Modest Thundurus with STAB Draco Meteor, destroys Basculin and Politoed, and 2HKOs Deoxys-D with STAB Dark Pulse. Your only way to beat it is Mienshao, but Scarfed Hydreigons outspeed and OHKO Mienshao.
Infernape -
Jirachi - Specially Defensive Jirachi won't hurt your team, but it will spread paralysis, and be really really annoying. You don't have any hard hitting Ground attacks, so the only thing that will be able to take it down is Basculin or Thundurus, and if they get paralyzed, you'll be in big trouble.
Jolteon -
Keldeo -
Kingdra - You bring the Drizzle, they bring the Kingdra, eh? Swift Swim Kingdra (yes it's legal if it's on the opponents team) can do serious damage to you. You don't have anything that resists Kingdra's STABs, so any Kingdra set will seriously hurt your team. It x4 resists Aqua Jet, and outspeeds your whole team.
Krookodile -
Kyurem -
Landorus -
Latios - A huge threat to your team. The Specs set will rip through your team, and you can't outspeed it. It resists Aqua Jet (though I suspect it will still do good damage), and OHKOs everything but Deoxys-D and Forretress with STAB Draco Meteor. Deoxys-D and Forretress, however, are susceptible to Trick.
Lilligant -
Lucario -
Machamp -
Magnezone -
Mamoswine -
Meloetta-S -
Meloetta-V -
Metagross -
Mienshao -
Reuniclus - Another threat. With one or two CMs up, nothing on your team can OHKO it without a crit, and it will proceed to take out quite a few members of your team, if not completely sweeping.
Roserade -
Salamence -
Sawsbuck -
Scizor - SD Scizor might be a bit annoying to take down, so if you see Scizor, keep Basculin alive.
Scrafty - Scrafty can be a threat to your team. With 1 DD, I'm fairly certain it outspeeds everything on your team, and will do some hefty damage. The only things you have to stop it are Thundurus and Mienshao, but that will probably require foddering something, and giving Scrafty +1 attack due to Moxie.
Seismitoad -
Serperior -
Shaymin -
Sigilyph -
Smeargle -
Starmie - It hits everything on your team at least neutrally with its LO set. It also outspeeds everything. Deoxys-D is the bulkiest member of your team, but even it will be 2HKOd by Starmie's rain-boosted LO Hydro Pump after some residual damage.
Terakion - Would be a problem if Basculin is gone.
Thundurus - A huge problem. A LO boosted Thunder OHKOs or 2HKOs everything on your team, and with a Nasty Plot, it's GG.
Togekiss -
Tornadus - Could be a huge problem. Without Thundurus, Tornadobro will easily sweep your team with Hurricane.
Tyranitar -
Venusaur -
Victini -
Virizion -
Volcarona -
Weavile -
Zoroark -

Unless you really want a spinner, it might be a good idea to exchange Forretress for Ferrothorn. Right now, your team has a big weakness to Rotom-W. Ferrothorn provides crucial Water and Electric resists, and is a great counter for Rotom-W, as long as you watch out for Trick. Another thing I recommend is switching Basculin out for CB Huge Power Azumarill. It has more attack than Basculin, also has Aqua Jet, is much bulkier (100/80/80 defenses are nothing to laugh at), and has Superpower to deal with Ferrothorn. Also you should consider Rotom-W for your team. It resists Hurricane, which is crucial, and also has STAB Thunder for opposing water-types. Also, definitely change Thundurus's nature to Timid so that it outspeeds notable threats such as Haxorus, Hydreigon, Flygon, NP Celebi, Landorus, Infernape, Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion, Latios, and Gengar, and ties with Thundurus and Tornadus. You might want to make your Thundurus a Nasty Plot set instead of Specs, so that it is more of an offensive threat. Also, I would recommend changing Drain Punch on Mienshao to Hi Jump Kick. It is much more powerful (130 BP vs. 75 BP), and Mienshao is too frail to use Drain Punch anyway.

Here is the 5th gen OU defensive threat list. Same drill as the offensive.

Alomomola - aLOLmomola
Blissey - A big problem. Definitely not blissful to face. Mienshao is your best chance at beating it. With Azumarill instead of Basculin, Azumarill can OHKO with Superpower.
Bronzong - Really annoying to take down. In the rain, you just have to wear it down. It doesn't have reliable recovery, so just wittle it down with Mienshao and Thundurus.
Celebi -
Chansey - Same deal as Blissey.
Deoxys-D - This will be really, really annoying, if you don't have Thundurus to Thunder it. Mienshao's U-Turns won't be coming anywhere close to a OHKO.
Cofagrigus -
Crustle -
Dusclops -
Ferrothorn - This is why you need Azumarill, or HJK on Mienshao. Drain Punch won't KO it, and none of your other pokes can take it down if you don't add Azumarill to your team.
Forretress - Annoying, but it doesn't have reliable recovery, and it has low Special Defense. Just wear it down.
Garbodor -
Gigalith -
Gliscor -
Hippowdon -
Jellicent -
Latias - Same deal as Latios (see above), but less of an offensive threat. CM Latias can sweep your whole team though, if you don't kill it quick enough. See: KG vs. Locopoke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lcdkBpFBQ.
Mandibuzz -
Murkrow -
Ninetales -
Politoed -
Porygon2 -
Rotom-H -
Rotom-W - Huge threat. You definitely need Ferrothorn to deal with this guy. Volt Switch/Thunderbolt will heavily damage your team. Hydro Pump is absurdly powerful in the rain.
Scolipede -
Skarmory -
Snorlax -
Suicune -
Swampert -
Tentacruel -

Alright, tell me if I missed anything =). Good luck, and nice first team! By the way, I excluded the last three Pokemon of the defensive threats, because I went over the picture limit.
EDIT: I see you've already corrected some stuff.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK read through your updates. (yay for no generic defense cores :D)
The main thing that sticks out now is Latias. She is usually a bulky CM user, and functions better that way. If you end up not using Tornadus, Specs Latios should replace Latias, because he has so much more raw power. The best coverage is in Draco Meteor, Surf, Thunder, Trick/Ice Beam/whatever.

Also, I thing Spikes is a better option than Explosion on Forry. Extra hazards are always beneficial. Another option would be to use Ferrothorn, as Steeli suggested. Your team can do without Rapid Spinning for the most part, and Ferrothorn offers a slightly better offensive presence.

Take off HP Elec from Politoed and give it Scald. The only reason you would give it HP Elec is for Gyarados'. In which you have Latias with Thunder and a Choice Scarf Thundurus. Doesn't make sense to give it HP Electric. And move those SpAtk EVs from it to Defense, as you don't need SpAtk. You're mostly stalling with it with the Protect + Toxic set. Being more defensive would help, especially with keeping Rain against Tyranitars that can easily Crunch on your switch in.

Explosion got nerfed this generation. So an Explosion from Forretress is extremely weak. Doesn't even come close to OHKO'ing something like a Latios. In place of Explosion, I suggest trying Spikes or Pain Split. Both are much more viable moves. Pain Split can assure you 100% of the time being able to stop Ferrothorns while being able to recover HP (which Forretress lacks by any other means).

Replace HP Ground from Latias for Surf, The only reason for HP Ground on Latias would probably be for Heatran. Whereas, most Heatran already carry Air Balloon and HP Ground wouldn't be of much use. While having Surf is much bigger benefit with Rain up. The rain boosts water type moves. A Surf with rain up could easily land you a KO on opposing Heatrans.

If you want to use Choice Specs, I would go for Latios over Latias due to the power difference (20 extra points in base SpA can be a big deal). Latias is better at getting easy switch-ins due to its natural special bulk and setting up a Calm Mind or two. Regardless of which one you use, you should probably change its nature to Timid, since that will allow you to outspeed base 108's such as Terrakion and Infernape, as well as Jolly Mienshao. If those aren't a huge problem for you, go ahead and keep Modest; it's really up to preference.

NOTICE! I have re-edited my team as of 1:00 PM PST! If you were writing a response to this RMT, I advise you re-look at the team, as something you may have pointed out may have been changed already. I am active and always ready for input, because I need all the help I can get in this scary generation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)