My First Competitive Team

Hi Guys,

This is my first competitive Pokemon team. Need some help finishing it up. I mainly used Choice scarf Hera and Porygon2 in the battle subway. So I just tried to build a team around them.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Recover

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roar

Blastoise is the rapid spinner/Bulky Water type. Rapid spin was pretty much essential since most of my team is susceptible to all three types of entry hazards.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split
- Substitute

Spin blocker/Powerful special attacker. Also counters many of bulky ghost types which counter Heracross.

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Hazard setter of the team. Also makes an excellent team-mate to Blastoise and Chandelure.

I am unsure of the sixth member of the team. Was thinking of Cobalion for stealth rock support/Pivot.

Give me your suggestions please.

Thanks a lot.

If i were you i'd run Rest on roserade, instead of Synthesis, because you already get a decent amount of healing from Giga Drain, and the amount Synthesis gives isn't that much more than an unresisted Giga Drain. I use the exact same Roserade but with Rest on two teams, and it's very good. Rest is an amazing "oh shit" button, and can be great when roserade is low on health and you prdict a counter coming in; just rest and switch in something that can take it.

Nice job on the team. It's pretty good for a first attempt.
My first suggestion is an unorthodox one and probably the most debatable of those that I will make. Throughout my many experiences with Heracross, I have noticed that a more useful move over Earthquake is Night Slash/Shadow Claw/Pursuit. The UU tier is filled with a plethora of Ghost types. Carrying a move of this sort will give you, what is in my opinion the most valuable thing in the game, surprise factor. The coverage offered by EQ is redundant when taking Close Combat and Stone Edge into account, hitting nothing notable bar the Nidoking and queen.
My next suggestion would be to use Claydol as your 6th Pokemon. It will give you a nice defensive pivot for when Porygon2 is weak and against fighting types. It can also set up SRs as well as rapid spin. This makes Blastoise virtually useless.
This brings me to my next suggestion: Omastar/Empoleon. Both complement your team perfectly, filling the role of a special sweeper. Both bring a lot of surprise factor to the game and will give you a boost in momentum. Although Omastar's Shell Smash is pedictable, what isn't is the rest of its moveset. Omastar is not used very often in the UU tier. It's almost neglected. Empoleon, although common, is rarely used as a sweeper. Most use it as a wall. Here are the sets:

Claydol@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Moves:
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Earth Power
Ice Beam

You may want to consider switching around the EVs a little if you'd rather it be more specially defensive. In this case, just switch the Def and SpD EVs, make its nature Sassy, and give it Earthquake instead of Earth Power.

Omastar@White Herb/Life Orb
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 4 Def, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Moves:
Shell Smash
Hydro Pump/Surf
Ice Beam
Hidden Power [Grass]

The item choice and the suitable nature for that item are put on the same side of the slash. Hydro Pump vs Surf is a basic power vs accuracy conflict that has been going on for a long time now and is completely dependent upon your opinion.

Empoleon@Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Nature:Modest
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Moves:
Agility
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Grass Knot

This set is a slightly more reliable version of the basic SubPetaya set that has become Empoleon's trademark. If you'd like you could use that one. In my opinion, though, this is much safer, especially for someone who seems to lack experience.

Lastly, once you update your team with these changes, be sure to make your descriptions longer than they are and in some cases actually add descriptions. If you don't your thread will be locked. I feel that the only reason it isn't is that it was very recently posted. Read the rules before posting next time.

Anyways, good luck with the team.

P.S. I agree with using Rest over Synthesis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)