My First OU Team: Ludicolo Rain Dance.

Greetings Smogon Users,

Here is my first Rain Dance team. I intend to keep Ludicolo in the team regardless of consistency, as it is my favourite Poke'mon. I've tested this team, and as the team has progressed, my win ratio has gone up. Rate and post way!

Reuben (Ludicolo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

The Special Sweeper/Revenge Killer - This is the focus of my team, because I love Ludicolo. I use Choice Specs because this set is more of a 'hit and run' set; otherwise Ludicolo is getting taken out by anything like Talonflame with prio Brave Bird. But it doesn't change the fact that Ludicolo is boss. I know Hydro Pump has been deemed better than Surf, but I'm all about consistency when it comes to sweeping, and it does the job perfectly.

Samson (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Toxic

The Bulky Weather Support - Politoed is merely support for Ludicolo that can poison opposing Pokes with Toxic, and stall out that Toxic with Protect. I did use a Choice Specs set on it, but it made Politoed very frail, leaving me with little to no Weather Support. I use Hydro Pump and Ice Beam for coverage, otherwise it's very linear, and Politoed can actually be a somewhat efficient Special Attacker, even with the emphasis on bulk.

Cuddles (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

The Physical Wall/Switch-In - This thing I love. It's amazing when you can read a physical hit that's incoming, and deal a nice 30-40% damage. I changed Spikes for Thunder Wave due to sheer popularity of Defog/Rapid Spin users. I also love reading a switch out to a Magic Bounce user, and simply going for the Power Whip.

Chewy (Goodra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Toxic
- Rest

The Special Wall - Goodra is bulky as fudge. It eats up any special damage, and when I think it's near danger, I can simply Rest up, and awake with Hydration to start blasting Pokes with rain supported Thunder. It covers many of the teams weaknesses, and can really drain the opponents resources trying to remove it.

Jingaling (Klefki) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

The Weather Support/Disruption - This is probably my second favourite Poke on the team. It's my lead Poke of choice, and I just enjoy Parafusioning everything that comes out. Plus, I love punishing Swords Dance users with a Foul Play, which is also a nice out to Taunt. It also gives me a prio Rain Dance when it's near KO. I can't imagine not using this Poke.

Vulcan (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 100 HP / 156 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Payback
- Dragon Dance

The Physical Sweeper/Mega - Gyarados was literally the perfect choice to finalise this team. It is unstoppable after a single Dragon Dance, and with it's typing alteration upon Mega Evolving, I can choose what type it is whilst I Dragon Dance to give myself coverage over anything that isn't Electric-Type of course. Earthquake being on this Gyarados with Mold Breaker means I also now have a counter to many problematic Pokemon like Rotom-W and Aegislash. Payback is for a STAB hit on any Ghost-Types like Gengar, Aegislash or Trevenant.

Thoughts please peoples?

Here's the code:

Reuben (Ludicolo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

Samson (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Toxic

Cuddles (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Chewy (Goodra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Dragon Pulse
- Toxic
- Rest

Jingaling (Klefki) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Vulcan (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Payback
- Dragon Dance

Last edited:
Firstly and most importantly, you are using swift swim on ludicolo. Do you realise that without rain that ability is useless, and that you have no rain in your team? If you really want to make a team around ludicolo, I'd highly recommend you have at least one way of getting rain. For example:

Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Protect

With the weather nerf politoed is getting less usage, but for a dedicated weather team it's still basically a must. But like I said, when you put up some descriptions, I'll come back for a full rate. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've changed the OP after I revised and tested a team. This team works pretty damn nicely for me as a new player, and I look forward to seeing it develop. I'm hoping I can get some tips and reviews for my team. Cheers!

After battling for some time playing with the Politoed-Ludicolo rain core, some things I can point out are:

- Special attacking Politoed seems really redundant when you are already running a special sweeper with Ludicolo. Not being bulky limits the amount of times Politoed can come in and set rain, which you will have to do a quite few times during the battle and take some hits in the process. Also mention that not having damp rock on him makes plays really predictable with only 5 turns of rain, since you just have to switch into a swift swim sweeper immediatelly or lose out on the rain. Finally physically defensive Politoed helps wall Talonflame, which nails Ludicolo with the priority brave bird.

- Ludicolo I feel prefers Timid over Modest nature since he gets revenge killed much easier, don't have any actual calcs but in pretty sure timid manages to outspeed Scarfchomp and +1 DD Gyarados. Surf seems pretty weak compared to hydro pump, 80% accuracy sucks but with surf you will miss many 1 Hit KOs on a lot of stuff that it hits for neutral damage.

Edit: also give hydration Goodra with rest, dragon pulse, thunder and toxic or sleep talk a try.

Last edited:
Thanks f
After battling for some time playing with the Politoed-Ludicolo rain core, some things I can point out are:

- Special attacking Politoed seems really redundant when you are already running a special sweeper with Ludicolo. Not being bulky limits the amount of times Politoed can come in and set rain, which you will have to do a quite few times during the battle and take some hits in the process. Also mention that not having damp rock on him makes plays really predictable with only 5 turns of rain, since you just have to switch into a swift swim sweeper immediatelly or lose out on the rain. Finally physically defensive Politoed helps wall Talonflame, which nails Ludicolo with the priority brave bird.

- Ludicolo I feel prefers Timid over Modest nature since he gets revenge killed much easier, don't have any actual calcs but in pretty sure timid manages to outspeed Scarfchomp and +1 DD Gyarados. Surf seems pretty weak compared to hydro pump, 80% accuracy sucks but with surf you will miss many 1 Hit KOs on a lot of stuff that it hits for neutral damage.

Edit: also give hydration Goodra with rest, dragon pulse, thunder and toxic or sleep talk a try.
Thanks for taking the time to give me some tips for my team. I will be sure to try these out.

I did try Bold Politoed but when I checked the recommended set for Politoed, it says that in this meta you should run choice specs Toed, and I can see why if I'm honest, but seeing as you've tested way more than I have, I'll be sure to try it.

The reason Damp Rock is on Klefki and not Toed is because Toed acts as an aggressive lead, and I use Klefki as the main weather support/disruption. Could you recommend a moveset for Politoed? And if it runs Protect, explain why?

Can you also help me with getting a decent Klefki for this team, if Politoed is to hold the Damp Rock?Or perhaps something that could replace Klefki?

I want to emphasise my love for Sap Sipper Goodra. I can't stand Smeargle, Amoogus or Ferrothorn getting off a spore/leech seed. This gives me and out to people trying to stun me, or try and dispose of my Politoed. But like I said, if you're positive I should run Hydration, I'll try it.

Do you have a team I could use as a reference? I'd love to see a Ludicolo team of someone who knows how to use it.

Last edited:
I do like klefki's set as prio rain dance, so props to that. Defensive toad if defiantly better then specs, and that set the guy above recommended is good. Protect is for toxic stall and lefties recovery. Scizzor wants bug bites over thief defiantly.and t wave over spikes on ferro

As someone who reached a pretty high level abusing the hell out of rain teams last generation, I would suggest 2 rain team mainstays that are missing from your roster; Kingdra (a more efficient swift swim user) and dragonite (which can run a ferocious hurricane/thunder set to abuse the hell out of rain). I really can't stress enough how good Kingdra is in the rain, launching ultra fast Draco meteors from a bulky pokemon with only 2 weaknesses is extremely satisfying :D Kabutops is also considered a rain team all star, although I had mixed results with him personally. Hope you give some of these rain stars a shot!

Thanks f

Thanks for taking the time to give me some tips for my team. I will be sure to try these out.

I did try Bold Politoed but when I checked the recommended set for Politoed, it says that in this meta you should run choice specs Toed, and I can see why if I'm honest, but seeing as you've tested way more than I have, I'll be sure to try it.

The reason Damp Rock is on Klefki and not Toed is because Toed acts as an aggressive lead, and I use Klefki as the main weather support/disruption. Could you recommend a moveset for Politoed? And if it runs Protect, explain why?

Can you also help me with getting a decent Klefki for this team, if Politoed is to hold the Damp Rock?Or perhaps something that could replace Klefki?

I want to emphasise my love for Sap Sipper Goodra. I can't stand Smeargle, Amoogus or Ferrothorn getting off a spore/leech seed. This gives me and out to people trying to stun me, or try and dispose of my Politoed. But like I said, if you're positive I should run Hydration, I'll try it.

Do you have a team I could use as a reference? I'd love to see a Ludicolo team of someone who knows how to use it.
Politoed @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald > stab + rain makes it deal good damage and the 30% burn is really strong.
- Toxic > strong against walls.
- Perish song / Encore > crucial to avoid being setup bait forcing switches.
- Protect > works wonders in combination with toxic and perish song, used to be even better when leftovers was an option.

- I've never had a Klefky in a team, but Prankster with Swagger, T-Wave, Foul play and Rain dance seems pretty good and annoying.

- I understand your hate on spore/leech seed, reason I wasn't concerned about it is I have been using Forretress as SR/Spinner support. Overcoat deals with spore and if I get Leech seeded I can always Volt switch out.

- Not going to post a full team but what I've been using in general lines is: Politoed - Ludicolo - Physical Rain abuser in Azumarill/Crawdaunt - Forretress - Goodra and a Mega that somewhat benefits from rain.

- Oranos - Dragonite as you say is also an all-star in rain teams, but Kingdra I feel got hit hard with the introduction of fairy types and the fact that the omnipresent Azumarill walls him to no end.

Last edited:
From just glancing at your team, I have noticed a few things that could be improved. (BTW, I reached 1800 with a rain team that used Kingdra. So... i'm not completely full of shit. Also, if you disagree with any of my suggestions. Tell me why.)

1.) Defog > Thief on Scizor: It may not seem like it but spikes, rocks, and sticky web can hurt your team. Spikes, rocks, and sticky web give ur opponent free advantages, and I personally believe all teams should have a spinner/defogger.

2.) Politoed@Leftovers > Politoed@Damp Rock and Ludicolo@Choice Specs > Ludicolo@Life Orb:

First - Politoed is the main rain inducer of your team, and having rain for 8 turns greatly benefits your rain sweeper Ludicolo. Also, you should change Politoed's moves and EVs so that he is more bulky. This is because keeping him alive is really important. In addition to this, bulky water types are really good in this Meta #CroCune.

Secondly - Ludicolo should run choice specs because if he doesn't have a set-up move like calm mind, he is really just a revenge killer. Therefore, you should give him more of a "hit and run" set. However, I do realize that he is fully capable of sweeping. Its just, if you aren't hitting as hard as you can, you are kind of wasting the speed swift swim provides (also, you can catch people off guard by doing this).

3.) Klefki - Toxic should probably be swapped with Swagger, this is because PRZ + Confused on any special attacker gives you an opportunity to do a dirty play.

After reading your awesome comments and suggestions, I'll try my best to answer all the posts I've seen, based on somewhat naive perspective, hehe.

I will try and move items around so that Politoed has the Leftovers, Ludicolo has the Life Orb, and Goodra who formerly had the Leftovers, can now have an Assault Vest. Also after reading the actual ability "Hydration" (which helps, hehe) I'm going to use that over Sap Sipper, as Hydration deals with one of Grass Types annoying features that is Spore. I also love that I can consistenly Rest this thing and keep walling shit. Plus Goodra can crush the Grass users, and I also have Ludicolo and Ferrothorn to reduce damage.

I will also switch Toxic on my Klefki for the Swagger as I recognize the synergy with Foul Play.

Don't worry, I know that Kingdra is pretty much the better Special Sweeper for Rain Dance teams, but as I said in the OP, I want to make my favourite Poke work, and if that means running a somewhat inferior Special Sweep, so be it.

I had Thief on my Scizor because it was an out to problem Pokes like Aegislash, Gengar and Mega Alakazam. Plus as far as know, Bug Bite is unavailable until bank comes out, and I believe it's the same for Defog?

I'll also look into a Timid Ludicolo, which I've never seen used before which is peculiar. But I'm guessing it's because you want that focus on its special attack, and the speed in the rain of a Modest Ludicolo is sufficient?

I believe that Leftovers on Politoed is being suggested over Damp Rock, because the Damp Rock is on Klefki as main Weather Support.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, given the common use of Defog this gen, I've had better luck running thunder wave instead of spikes on Ferrothorn. Even though you get some impressive speed going on the swift swim sweeper, all your pokes will probably appreciate paralysis, and it only takes one turn. Plus once the rain is on you'll be racing against the clock, you won't have time to reapply spikes once they get removed

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, given the common use of Defog this gen, I've had better luck running thunder wave instead of spikes on Ferrothorn. Even though you get some impressive speed going on the swift swim sweeper, all your pokes will probably appreciate paralysis, and it only takes one turn. Plus once the rain is on you'll be racing against the clock, you won't have time to reapply spikes once they get removed
I like Paralysis on both my Klefki and Ferrothorn. It just adds that level of certainty that I'll get the first hit with Ludicolo. Plus, it makes sure that slower Pokes have that higher chance of getting a first hit off.

On another note, depending on how well Scizor works, I may be tempted to try Kabutops as my Physical attacker. Would this be wise, considering it's synergy with Rain Dance. The only concern I have is that it removes the variety in typing and bulk.

Thanks f

Was that a gen 5 set with the politoed? Let me explain. In gen 5 drizzle lasted until someone used sunny day or hail, or a pokemon with a weather inducing ability came it. But in gen 6, it was really nerfed (which is awesome) and now it only lasts 5 turns (like using a weather move always did). BUT if youhold a damp rock it lasts for 8. This is really important as it means you can have other pokemon in your team that need rain support get it for longer without having to switch politoed in again. However, you WILL have to switch politoed in again throughout the match, as most games don't end in 8-10 turns lol, so bulky politoed allows him to take hits when he switches in to get the rain started again.

Oranos' last suggerstion is a very solid one. Spikes have always been a bitch to set up, and now they can be removed really easily (by flying types of all things, which are immune to spikes anyway) so t-wave is a great suggestion. If you feel like you've got more than enough status already (which you don't really, but your call), you could try substitute, tho under rain subs is just wasting turns. Keep rocks for sure.

And the above suggestion of rest talk hydration goodra is a very good one, I thought you were doing that already lol. In rain hydration is bordering on OP (and if we had the old drizzle rules goodra would likely be banned this gen). Otherwise yeah your team looks really quite solid. Klefki especially is an interesting choice over the traditional thunderus, but a good one imo.

Also I think the guy might've been doing an arrow with the > sign, as in to say change it to damp rock, otherwise it makes no sence. Politoed, if not running specs, should be running damp rock imo.

Was that a gen 5 set with the politoed? Let me explain. In gen 5 drizzle lasted until someone used sunny day or hail, or a pokemon with a weather inducing ability came it. But in gen 6, it was really nerfed (which is awesome) and now it only lasts 5 turns (like using a weather move always did). BUT if youhold a damp rock it lasts for 8. This is really important as it means you can have other pokemon in your team that need rain support get it for longer without having to switch politoed in again. However, you WILL have to switch politoed in again throughout the match, as most games don't end in 8-10 turns lol, so bulky politoed allows him to take hits when he switches in to get the rain started again.

Oranos' last suggerstion is a very solid one. Spikes have always been a bitch to set up, and now they can be removed really easily (by flying types of all things, which are immune to spikes anyway) so t-wave is a great suggestion. If you feel like you've got more than enough status already (which you don't really, but your call), you could try substitute, tho under rain subs is just wasting turns. Keep rocks for sure.

And the above suggestion of rest talk hydration goodra is a very good one, I thought you were doing that already lol. In rain hydration is bordering on OP (and if we had the old drizzle rules goodra would likely be banned this gen). Otherwise yeah your team looks really quite solid. Klefki especially is an interesting choice over the traditional thunderus, but a good one imo.

Also I think the guy might've been doing an arrow with the > sign, as in to say change it to damp rock, otherwise it makes no sence. Politoed, if not running specs, should be running damp rock imo.
If I were to move the Damp Rock to Politoed, what can Klefki hold? Same thing goes for Goodra? Shall that just maintain the Leftovers, considering Politoed would hold the leftovers? As Assault Vests shits over Rest Talk sets.

Could I also get people's opinion on Kabutops over Scizor? I may try that as the Physical Attacker.

Thanks for all your information guys!! Can't wait to try this out!

If I were to move the Damp Rock to Politoed, what can Klefki hold? Same thing goes for Goodra? Shall that just maintain the Leftovers, considering Politoed would hold the leftovers? As Assault Vests shits over Rest Talk sets.

Could I also get people's opinion on Kabutops over Scizor? I may try that as the Physical Attacker.

Thanks for all your information guys!! Can't wait to try this out!
Uh there's no item clause on showdown. So they can both hold a damp rock. Unless this is an ingame team... But if you play at all on showdown you should use damp rock on both imo.Kabutops over scizor means you have no mega, which is kinda bad. That being said, kabutops can be a real force in the rain, much like kingdra. Idk what you would then replace to keep your mega though. Not having a mega in your team isn't unheard of but it's a disadvantage for sure.

Uh there's no item clause on showdown. So they can both hold a damp rock. Unless this is an ingame team... But if you play at all on showdown you should use damp rock on both imo.Kabutops over scizor means you have no mega, which is kinda bad. That being said, kabutops can be a real force in the rain, much like kingdra. Idk what you would then replace to keep your mega though. Not having a mega in your team isn't unheard of but it's a disadvantage for sure.
Ok cool. I do see that removing my mega would be counter-productive, but Kabutops was made out to be highly important in the rain, plus my Scizor cannot learn the ideal moves it needs yet due to the lack of Pokebank.

Another thing I want to ask is, instead of Damp Rock, can my Politoed run Leftovers? Giving the Protect more utility?

A mega I wanted to use was Mega Ampharos (another favourite). Unfortunately it's slow as hell, plus it's not a physical attacker. I did want to try physical Mega Lucario, but that requires Ice Punch. I also tried Conkeldurr, but I don't think it works in anything that isn't Trick Room. So if anything, the last slot in my team is up for discussion. :)

I've been testing the team, and I feel like a need an out to Steel Type Pokes. Any suggestions for something useful in a rain dance team? Maybe Choice band Crawdaunt with Superpower?

Last edited:
Ok cool. I do see that removing my mega would be counter-productive, but Kabutops was made out to be highly important in the rain, plus my Scizor cannot learn the ideal moves it needs yet due to the lack of Pokebank.

Another thing I want to ask is, instead of Damp Rock, can my Politoed run Leftovers? Giving the Protect more utility?

A mega I wanted to use was Mega Ampharos (another favourite). Unfortunately it's slow as hell, plus it's not a physical attacker. I did want to try physical Mega Lucario, but that requires Ice Punch. I also tried Conkeldurr, but I don't think it works in anything that isn't Trick Room. So if anything, the last slot in my team is up for discussion. :)

I've been testing the team, and I feel like a need an out to Steel Type Pokes. Any suggestions for something useful in a rain dance team? Maybe Choice band Crawdaunt with Superpower?
Ok even if he's not the best for your team I gotta correct that totally untrue statement about conk. That thing is beastly in just about any team as it has really nice bulk. It is an unbelievably good abuser of the new item the assault vest, like seriously that thing was made for it. Though if you want a set-up sweeper the bulk up set is also deadly. The assault vest set is gonna be something like this:

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
evs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 SpD
nature: Adamant
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

To demonstrate the sheer bulk of this set, let's take common powerful pokes both special and physical and see how much he can do to this guy:

252 SpA Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 64-76 (18.2 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Conkeldurr: 294-346 (83.7 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO And Conk easily OHKOs with drain punch

With knock off buffed this gen he has almost no problem with ghosts:

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trevenant: 308-364 (82.3 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - With the bonus of knocking off the sitrus berry :)

And god forbid you actually risk burning one (or you dare the obvious will-o-wisp with this guy alive and kicking)

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery - Not even rotom-w can switch in and take another hit (not that hydro pump is doing more than 30% anyway lol)

All that being said, I see no reason to really put this monster in your team because its a rain team, not because it's not a trick room team. When you already have goodra in your team, it's not worth it imo. Crawdaunt is fucking scary this gen (and last gen lol) and no one seems to realise it except for RU and UU players lol. There are 2 cool sets: DD and choice band. Choice band set is basically crabhammer crunch superpower aqua jet adamant nature. Dragon Dance set is those first 3 moves but with DD obviously lol and with jolly nature. Aqua jet is an option on the DD set too, but not as compulsary as the CB set.

Otherwise, Gyarados is another scary DD sweeper in the rain, both as a mega and normal. I'd say if u were to give 3 things a go: crawdaunt, mega gyara and normal gyara. Try them out and see what you like. :)

Ok even if he's not the best for your team I gotta correct that totally untrue statement about conk. That thing is beastly in just about any team as it has really nice bulk. It is an unbelievably good abuser of the new item the assault vest, like seriously that thing was made for it. Though if you want a set-up sweeper the bulk up set is also deadly. The assault vest set is gonna be something like this:

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
evs: 252 Atk / 8 Def / 248 SpD
nature: Adamant
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

To demonstrate the sheer bulk of this set, let's take common powerful pokes both special and physical and see how much he can do to this guy:

252 SpA Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 64-76 (18.2 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Conkeldurr: 294-346 (83.7 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO And Conk easily OHKOs with drain punch

With knock off buffed this gen he has almost no problem with ghosts:

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trevenant: 308-364 (82.3 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - With the bonus of knocking off the sitrus berry :)

And god forbid you actually risk burning one (or you dare the obvious will-o-wisp with this guy alive and kicking)

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery - Not even rotom-w can switch in and take another hit (not that hydro pump is doing more than 30% anyway lol)

All that being said, I see no reason to really put this monster in your team because its a rain team, not because it's not a trick room team. When you already have goodra in your team, it's not worth it imo. Crawdaunt is fucking scary this gen (and last gen lol) and no one seems to realise it except for RU and UU players lol. There are 2 cool sets: DD and choice band. Choice band set is basically crabhammer crunch superpower aqua jet adamant nature. Dragon Dance set is those first 3 moves but with DD obviously lol and with jolly nature. Aqua jet is an option on the DD set too, but not as compulsary as the CB set.

Otherwise, Gyarados is another scary DD sweeper in the rain, both as a mega and normal. I'd say if u were to give 3 things a go: crawdaunt, mega gyara and normal gyara. Try them out and see what you like. :)
I've probably not tested Conkeldurr enough to be fair. But like you said, this is a rain dance team, so I'm probably going to go for Choice Band Crawdaunt; but instead of using Crunch, what about Knock Off? I thought it would amazing to remove items (except megas) with an adaptability boost. Could you say Kabutops is also worth trying out?

If crawdaunt get's knock off yeah that sounds really good. I'd recommend a booster tho because with scizor gone you don't have one. Something like DD gyara or DD crawdaunt

If crawdaunt get's knock off yeah that sounds really good. I'd recommend a booster tho because with scizor gone you don't have one. Something like DD gyara or DD crawdaunt
I might try DD Gyrados seeing as Gyra's Intimidate is rather sweet, and it cripples Physical Attackers. Plus I could use it as a Mega needs be.

I don't DD is suitable on a choice band Crawdaunt, I think Adaptability makes up for the lacklustre 65 base power of Knock Off, when compared to Crunch that is.

Knock off was buffed majorly this gen. When actually knocking off an item it get's multiplied by 1.5. So it's 97.5 power. That's why it's getting so much use at the moment, it's really good.

I kinda think you need something of a set up sweeper, idk it's pretty important. CB crawdaunt is more a revenge killer (with aqua jet) or a wallbreaker.

Knock off was buffed majorly this gen. When actually knocking off an item it get's multiplied by 1.5. So it's 97.5 power. That's why it's getting so much use at the moment, it's really good.

I kinda think you need something of a set up sweeper, idk it's pretty important. CB crawdaunt is more a revenge killer (with aqua jet) or a wallbreaker.
If that's the case, I'll go Gyarados. DD Gyarados has access to Earthquake, which is great seeing as it gives me outs to any potential Steel Type Walls.

Looking at the template movesets for Gyarados; I believe this will be set I'll be using.

Mega Gyarados (Offensive Dragon Dance)
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie (Mold Breaker)
IVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake / Stone Edge / Substitute / Payback / Bounce
- Earthquake / Stone Edge / Substitute / Payback / Bounce

Out of the multiple choice moves if say EQ and Payback would be the best choices. Gengar is still a thing, along side Aegislash using prio Shadow Sneak. Although Stone Edge is rather beast... Haha.

Woo! 2nd page!

Edit: I just tested DD Gyarados. Holy Crap, it's amazing. I just swept an entire team with Megyarados. I was even able to DD three times before Mega Evolving and sweeping. It's such a good counter to Talonflame and Aegislash. It'll definitely be my 6th. I just want to make sure my Ludicolo is ideal. I think Modest is sufficient, with the 2 T-Wave users as well, and should I use Hydro Pump or Surf?

Last edited:
Well I'm glad I could help man, mega gyara underwhelms some but once it gets a couple of DDs off it's really powerful. Do be wary of users of mach punch, as it picked up an annoying type change to dark and the fighting weakness hurts. Also, remember that gyarados is an amazing rotom-w counter once it has mega evolved as it can fire off mold break earth quakes, a big bonus imo.

Well I'm glad I could help man, mega gyara underwhelms some but once it gets a couple of DDs off it's really powerful. Do be wary of users of mach punch, as it picked up an annoying type change to dark and the fighting weakness hurts. Also, remember that gyarados is an amazing rotom-w counter once it has mega evolved as it can fire off mold break earth quakes, a big bonus imo.
The great thing about Mega Gyarados is that with it's typing change, I can choose what typing it has when I DD. It was honestly the choice for the Physical Attacker. I've swept so many teams alternating between Earthquake and Waterfall that it's silly.

I've changed the Goodras set a little, originally if had flamethrower, but then I realised its awful in the rain. I've given it Toxic now anyways because it can be the first thing it uses before resting and then blasting stuff with Thunder.

I'm pretty sure my team is done now, so I'll change the OP for one final critique before breeding it on X and Y.

I would absolutely go with sludge bomb for fairys, you already have 2 thunder wavers on your team and a toxic user in toad, I would imagine you'll get more use out of sludge. Plus you don't really want to be stalling the rain since it's only 8 turns, probably best to focus on offense

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)