Gen 2 My first RMT! Critiques welcomed!

Hey all! This is my first RMT about a team I thought about using in GSC ssnl R1. As you’d expect, this team means a lot to me, and holds, a special place in my heart. I, thought of this team at a very important and uncertain point in my life* and I wanted to share it with everyone so they could have as wonderful an experience as I did without using it!

Here is the pokepasta of my newest creative brilliance of a team! I’m sure this will shake up the meta!

https://pokepast.es/4fd2c8af9a2d02d5

The Team name: Thundering BAIT

The general team strategy:
This bulky offense balance spikes team aims to use the strongest mons in the tier clicking the big damage moves while having the bulk to survive the opposing onslaught. The most important Pokemon in the the team is Snorlax, ZapDos and cloyster in that order. Snorlax is essential as my breaker against stall. Click enough normal moves with this min and any team crumples, and then you sometimes click the other moves to let you click even more normal moves. I chose leftovers as the item for this Pokemon to help maximize the bulk so I can launch a prolonged offensive assault against stall! Zadpos is the next most important monn because it is super powerful. It this team is super good at winning games when thunder crits twice against lax. ZapDos is also our primary spikes abuser. Next up is cloyster which is our Snorlax check and ZapDos lure. Oh also it sets the layers of spikes for ZapDos to abuse. Remember this Gen you can't spike 3 times!!!!! This is very important to consider when you are playing games on ladder.

Let's now introduce the team!!!!

Oh and Thank you so much for reading my first RMT!!! I put soooooooooooo much work into it.
1708018524679.png

Yellow Herring (ZapDos): is a kinda fast Mon but feels slow in play because of raikou. Raikou is a nuisance to ZapDos, but here is a tip against roar kou: if you force it in with ZapDos making it take spikes and thunder on the switch in, or doubling to lax as it comes in you can force it to rest. Then if you double to lax when you comes in to check zap you can force it out as it gets repeatedly chipped by spikes so it can't burn sleep turns. This allows cloyster to break through kou for zap. Our Zappy boi is ev'd to survive 3 body slams from Snorlax, the highest attack normal type in the tier. I thought about hp fighting for the ground types but decided on hp ice because I wanted the strong neutral hit on Jolteon.

1708021628651.png

Goin Koukou (Rakeyou): Kou ev'd so that it under speeds Gengar so if it ice punch freezes you, you can unthaw in the same turn and rest off the frz so that the next turn the Gangar can't frz you when it moves first!
We do this also by lowering dvs so that we have the correct hidden power dark for Genger. Genngar V Raikou is why rikou is ranked so highly in the VR so it is best if we maximize our odds in this matchup.
1708018581311.png

Average Lax Goalie(Snorlax): the best mon in the tier at hitting rock types. Because Snorlax has this role I didn't want double edges because it would take too much recoil from slamming into rocks. I also didn't want body slams because thunder wave can't paralyzed ground types. Make sure to set happiness to the max for the best results for frustration!

1708021867690.png

Goal mark n12442 (golemnnn): We aren't running stall so a spinner is mandatory. I picked golem because since our kou is so good at removing Grengar, golem should be able to spin easily! While golem may make the team weak to hp water drill peck WW apDos, this is actually a good thing because it helps us pivot qloyster into the hp water! Golem is on this team also because we needed a rock resist to switch into tyranitar because cloyster can't do that all the time because sometimes tyranitar runs tbolt. As thus golem is our tbolt tar answer. This golem also helps us against mean look pass because it is a phaser. This strategy is so powerful it got banned so I wanted to make sure I had one of the tools that countered it as any tool that counters a banned strat is broken!
1708021723907.png

Secret Pearl (Kloyster)... Remember it is the most important job of cloy to toxic zap on this team so that it can slowly regret its life choices! Cloyster is a super fast pokemon so it can also offensively check many opposing threats into the late game. Many stall teams also do not have a water resistance so cloyster can be a secondary breaker against stall. We are an offensive team so the stall lords should fear us

Lead cloy: The cloy is the lead for one simple purpose. As your best tank of hidden powers from the legendary electrics (run away from jolteon because it may st bp into a sweeper like sd meganium or even worse sd bslam hp rock sleep powder mega-venu) cloy can spike for free versus the common sleeper leads and chip away at the odd leads like Lax, houndoom, Explosion Jynx and Nitro-Glycerin with surf! It's all about winning those damage trades. Always attack with cloy when facing a stall team to fish for freezes, but don’t neglect the power of spikes versus BP squads lacking marowak. Lastly cloy is our primary switch in to executor because to absorb the thief eggy always runs. Psychic may slam cloy but that's why we have our own psychic move on Gengrar!
Ice punch, thunder, hypnosis explosion
1708021670659.png

Ginger (Geingar): this team has a Machamp weakness so I put a psychic type move on Gingar to help deal with it. Explosion lets you 3 hit Ko tar (see important calcs no 1), and has the bonus of denying tar’s turn so it can’t pursuit you for double damage on the stay in. This is why Gengor is often underrated in this new HO metagame defined by shuckle as the primary webs setter. Gengar isn't as good into ariados as the other web mon because it gets trapped and eaten alive, but this is no longer relivent as ariados was nerfed by the ban hammer. This gengar is also special because it can hit nidoking well as it carries a psychic type move which is crucial as our team is also super weak to nidoking.

*as of writing this, yesterday a few days ago. After all the present is always a time of uncertainty!

Important Calcs!
  1. Gengar Explosion vs. Tyranitar: 128-151 (31.7 - 37.4%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  2. Uwu
Some relevant Calcs!

252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jolteon: 91-108 (33.5 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Salt Cure
+1 244+ Atk burned Snorlax Breakneck Blitz (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 51-60 (14.4 - 16.9%) -- 1.2% chance to 3HKO after Salt Cure
+6 Snorlax Ice Beam vs. Snorlax through Light Screen: 137-161 (26.1 - 30.7%) -- 15.6% chance to 3HKO after poison damage
Raikou Hidden Power Dragon vs. Kingdra: 115-136 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Draco Plate Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Tyranitar in Sand on a critical hit: 466-549 (115.6 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Draco Plate Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 172 SpD Tyranitar in Sand on a critical hit: 466-549 (115.6 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 140 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Zapdos: 136-162 (35.5 - 42.2%) -- 90.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. Lvl 5 0 HP / 0 SpD Abra: 35646-41936 (187610.5 - 220715.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ SpA Kyogre Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. Lvl 1 36 HP / 0- SpD Numel in Rain: 288-65132 (2400 - 542766.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-675040
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-746714
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-746720?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-746733?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-638043
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9paldeadexdraft-666556
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9paldeadexdraft-665834
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9paldeadexdraft-666192?p2

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9natdexdraft-2044185676
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vgc2024regf-2017355677?p2

This team has gone undefeated on ladder as it has not been played once on ladder.

Special thanks to
-my mom for Grammer checking this**
-Rezzo and Melanch0ly for getting duped and providing excellent feedback
-the United States Economy
-and viewers like you!

**She never saw this. I don't want her death on my hands after seeing the use of commas in the first paragraph alone!

THE RMT ENDS HERE

This post follows the rules:

1. Don't post incomplete teams - this means having all 6 members with EV spreads and moves.
-This is a complete team of 6 pokemon and EVs (yes not having different evs on the kou is intentional. It should be max speed and it has the correct dvs on the paste)
  1. Each member of the team requires a description that includes your reason for choosing that Pokémon, the Pokémon's role on that team, and a short description of its set. This is to help raters get an idea of what each member of the team does and will help them when trying to suggest changes to improve the team. We expect at least 3 lines of descriptions on desktop for each member. The better the descriptions, the easier it is for raters to understand your team and its members.
-I think I have met this
  1. Make sure your team is competitive and viable for that tier. Before other users can help you with your team, you need to do your part and make sure that you have tested and used the team before in order to hammer out the biggest flaws. We are here to help improve teams, not build new ones. If you're inexperienced, then you can learn the metagame and lurk more before posting a team.
This team is viable. I would consider running this in tour.... tho not against a nidoking spammer
  1. You are only allowed to post one new RMT every 7 days.
-my first ever

1. You are allowed 1 bump, which means you are allowed to make 1 post if your thread has not had any activity for a while to push it to the top of unread threads.
    -bump has not been used

Attachments

Last edited:

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Jolteon: 91-108 (33.5 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Salt Cure
+1 244+ Atk burned Snorlax Breakneck Blitz (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 51-60 (14.4 - 16.9%) -- 1.2% chance to 3HKO after Salt Cure
+6 Snorlax Ice Beam vs. Snorlax through Light Screen: 137-161 (26.1 - 30.7%) -- 15.6% chance to 3HKO after poison damage
Raikou Hidden Power Dragon vs. Kingdra: 115-136 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
-1 140 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 100+ Def Zapdos: 136-162 (35.5 - 42.2%) -- 90.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. Lvl 5 0 HP / 0 SpD Abra: 35646-41936 (187610.5 - 220715.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ SpA Kyogre Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. Lvl 1 36 HP / 0- SpD Numel in Rain: 288-65132 (2400 - 542766.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I'm sorry but why are there pokemon from Gen 7 in your calcs when its a gen 2 team?

Thank you for posting.
Your post has given my own Double Elec offense team some hints for improvement.

Also, I feel like the movesets are different between the pokepaste and the text.
For example, your Zap has HP Water in the pokepaste, but in the text it looks like it has decided to use HP Ice.

Thank you for posting.
Your post has given my own Double Elec offense team some hints for improvement.

Also, I feel like the movesets are different between the pokepaste and the text.
For example, your Zap has HP Water in the pokepaste, but in the text it looks like it has decided to use HP Ice.
thank you for noting that difference! I have reviewed the pokepaste and found that is the only error. I have now fixed that.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This post is clearly a bit of some sort but I can't parse what that bit is supposed to be.

In any case I don't really care, I just wanna talk about the team in the paste. It's good! A subtle yet aggressive twist on a standard formula, carrying 4 Explosions, most notably with one on Snorlax.

I'd say Return is weird on Lax but it makes some kind of sense. It fails to 3HKO other Lax while still hitting most other things hard, so it might be good for lulling Lax in to take a big Boom, which is what this team craves. I might still prefer Double-Edge as a way to try and muscle through the occasional Miltank / Umbreon / Suicune, which otherwise can tank Returns all day. But maybe you can force them to reckon with Golem.

As for Raikou, Crunch is weird but I also see the rationale! If Lax isn't long-lived, you might need Raikou to be able to threaten other Raikou, if only *eventually*, and that's what Crunch accomplishes. HP Ice might still be better for Nidoking, though. YMMV.

Nice team. Weird post.

they had us in the first half not gonna lie
Thank you! I'm glad it came out well like that. I put a lot of work into making it look like I was a new player with some horrendously misguided ideas. It went well with the default pachurisu profile pic. This is purely meant to be a good laugh for those who know gsc at least a little.

This post is clearly a bit of some sort but I can't parse what that bit is supposed to be.

In any case I don't really care, I just wanna talk about the team in the paste. It's good! A subtle yet aggressive twist on a standard formula, carrying 4 Explosions, most notably with one on Snorlax.

I'd say Return is weird on Lax but it makes some kind of sense. It fails to 3HKO other Lax while still hitting most other things hard, so it might be good for lulling Lax in to take a big Boom, which is what this team craves. I might still prefer Double-Edge as a way to try and muscle through the occasional Miltank / Umbreon / Suicune, which otherwise can tank Returns all day. But maybe you can force them to reckon with Golem.

As for Raikou, Crunch is weird but I also see the rationale! If Lax isn't long-lived, you might need Raikou to be able to threaten other Raikou, if only *eventually*, and that's what Crunch accomplishes. HP Ice might still be better for Nidoking, though. YMMV.

Nice team. Weird post.
So return snorlax was mainly for the joke. I do prefer double edge most of the time or body slam on this set but I have tried return and it isnt too bad. If someone were to use this team for real, it should probably be fire blast over thunder on the lax, and gengar can do something like hp grass over thunder. Tbolt is fine there too. Kou should be hp ice though. This team really wants kou to be able to hit grounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)