SV OU My First SV Team

I'm somewhat inexperienced with competitive and I wanted to try and teambuild. My goals for this team was to wear down the opposing Pokemon with Toxic and hazards, and use the new Shed Tail move to set up a sweeper. The team consists of a dedicated lead of Glimmora, a defensive core of Clodsire and Corviknight, and an offensive core of Dondozo and Gholdengo with Cyclizar providing Substitute. I'm not quite sure how teambuilding works and this is my first team for SV, so I'd love to hear ways to improve it.

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Mortal Spin
- Hyper Beam

Glimmora is my dedicated lead. It's meant to set up as many hazards as possible. At the very least, it's able to get Stealth Rock up and use Hyper Beam to deal damage or Mortal Spin to clear hazards on my side. I chose Hyper Beam over Explosion because of Glimmora's poor attack stat. Toxic Debris is there just in case. If it's possible, I try to set up a layer of Spikes, but Glimmora lacks the longevity to do so. I gave it a speed boosting nature to make sure it outspeeds slower Pokemon. I don't know if any other leads would be better.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Flying
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-Turn

Corviknight is my physical wall that resists Clodsire's weakness to Ground and Psychic. Leftovers reduces Brave Bird's recoil and helps it stay alive longer. Body Press is for coverage and Brave Bird gives STAB. I chose U-Turn over Defog to keep my hazards up. It's a very basic Pokemon with a very basic moveset, but it's one that complements Clodsire, I think. Flying Tera gives it 2x power on Brave Bird, but I don't use it often.

Clodsire @ Black Sludge
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Clodsire is the other half of my team's defensive core. It's Electric resistance covers Corviknight's weakness. Its Spikes are another hazard option, and Toxic handles many threats the rest of the team can't. Recover is there for obvious reasons and Earthquake handles Electric types, which my team has difficulty with. Its main goal is to wear down the opposing team with Toxic and Spikes and switch in to take Water and Electric moves. I find that Water Absorb works better than Unaware, especially because Dondozo already has it.

Cyclizar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shed Tail
- Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Draco Meteor

Choice Scarf Cyclizar outspeeds Choice Specs Dragapult, and a Draco Meteor OHKOs it. Because Cyclizar switches out often, Draco Meteor was chosen over Dragon Claw. Knock Off and Power Whip are coverage, hitting Ghost, Psychic, Water, Rock and Ground Pokemon. Shed Tail provides a reliable switch in for Gholdengo. Fairy covers its Dragon and Fighting weaknesses.

Gholdengo @ Life Orb
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Gholdengo's moveset is pretty straightforward. Boosted Thunder handles Flying types such as Corviknight, as well as Water types. I chose it over Make it Rain for coverage. Shadow Ball handles Ghost and Psychic types, and it's very strong after Tera. Life Orb further increases its offensive potential. Sending it in after using Shed Tail guarantees that it can use Nasty Plot and be safe while doing so. It outspeeds a lot of other Pokemon and blocks Rapid/Mortal Spin and Defog. It's a strong special sweeper, and it, alongside Dondozo, are my main offensive Pokemon.

Dondozo @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Liquidation

Dondozo is an Unaware wall that sets up with Curse. Resttalk is its recovery. Steel Tera makes it resist Grass moves like Energy Ball and makes it neutral to Electric. I wasn't entirely sure about what item it should have, so I gave it Leftovers. Unlike Gholdengo, Dondozo doesn't need Shed Tail and is able to switch into several threats on its own. I use it late game after hazards have been set and the opponent's down a good few Pokemon, or when they're setting up their own sweepers. This is the Pokemon that I Tera the most because Steel resists all of Water's weaknesses.

Please let me know if there's any issues with the team or any advice/suggestions you have.

Last edited:
Okay so i suggest using this moveset on cyclizar:
Cyclizar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shed Tail
- Taunt
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
and remove hyper beam replace it with earth power
and put unaware on Clodsire
thunderbolt instead of thunder on gholdengo,
so thats it!. great team

Okay so i suggest using this moveset on cyclizar:
Cyclizar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shed Tail
- Taunt
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
and remove hyper beam replace it with earth power
and put unaware on Clodsire
thunderbolt instead of thunder on gholdengo,
so thats it!. great team
Thank you for your feedback!
I understand Thunderbolt over Thunder, and Earth Power over Hyper Beam, and I will definitely do that. However, why is that Cyclizar moveset preferred over this one? Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a wonderful day.

I think Clodsire can provide your spikes. Glimmora is more for SR and the ability's Toxic ones. Maybe try sludge wave for fairies, there is no steel coverage here so you should have a way to hit them SE imo.

Thank you for your feedback!
I understand Thunderbolt over Thunder, and Earth Power over Hyper Beam, and I will definitely do that. However, why is that Cyclizar moveset preferred over this one? Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a wonderful day.
Aww thanks, really wholesome words i needed today, the cyclizar taunt is to prevent other non-scarf cyclos to shed tail and to invalidate shed tail orthworm, Rapid spin is self explanatory and knock off just to stop other pokemon that really rely on their item to be good,

I think Clodsire can provide your spikes. Glimmora is more for SR and the ability's Toxic ones. Maybe try sludge wave for fairies, there is no steel coverage here so you should have a way to hit them SE imo.
Thank you for the feedback! I definitely think Glimmora is good at Stealth Rock and Clodsire fills the Spikes role well. I also agree that Sludge Wave is a good move for Glimmora. Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Ah, not usually crazy about bulky sash. The glimmora again. It might work, but not so much If you're a lead, meaning no hazards breaking it. Go full SpA imo(still timid.) I did run a bulky sash Mon before(bulky EVs, not the Mon,) but that has a very small use.

Ah, not usually crazy about bulky sash. The glimmora again. It might work, but not so much If you're a lead, meaning no hazards breaking it. Go full SpA imo(still timid.) I did run a bulky sash Mon before(bulky EVs, not the Mon,) but that has a very small use.
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I definitely see your point about bulky sash not being the best idea for the Glimmora. Thank you again for your help, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello,

I'm going to give a short rate:

Threats: Breloom does a pretty good job of breaking down this team (Specifically this set):
:breloom:
Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore / Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Bulldoze / Close Combat

Spore could take any of your Pokémons out the game and then Loom could just start breaking down the team depending on what set it's running. Yes most Breloom sets run Spore 99% of the time and Air-Balloon Gholdengo usually walls it, but if it's running any set that's running Bulldoze it could be problematic. If running any Swords Dance Close Combat set then Corviknight would have a problem, so it's ideal you scout out Looms set to see.

Glimmora and Gholdengo are a supreme duo with setting up entry hazard and for the inability by the opponant to Defog / Rapid Spin on Dengo.

I would go with Tera Type Grass on Glimmora for defensive Tera purposing. For coverage I would go with Earth Power > Hyper Beam since a lot of Steel types might switch-in countering any poison move or even Mortal Spin. Hyper Beam forces you to recharge (cannot move following turn) which can be detrimental in competitive Pokémon because it will force your opponent to set up.

With Corviknight I would say the set looks good I would change the EV spread to: EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 80 SpD / 12 Speed to outspeed other Corviknights and other Pokémon looking to outspeed Corviknight such as (Kingambit). When using a defensive Pokémon, for Tera Type always go for Defensive Tera tactics, because Pokémon will look to KO Corviknight with (Fire or Electric moves) so go with Ground Tera Type for Corviknight.

I see that you prefer Water Absorb for Clodsire and if that's the case I do think from a typing perspective Gastrodon would be the better choice, because Clodsire is used to be an Unaware Pokemon and that's where it excels. You can modify the EVs to allow it to become more of a special defensive wall. I don't think having Toxic on Clodsire is the reason to keep it because the purpose of Glimmora is to activate Toxic Debris / Mortal Spin.
:gastrodon:
Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

For Cyclizar, I do think that the Choice Scarf set can work but I look at as kind of niche I would stick to the Standard set (Below) since I think are much better Choice Scarf users to pick from if you want speed control rather than to trick one Pokémon like (Dragapult) (Cyclizar is known to have mediocre attacking stats 85/95 respectfully):
:cyclizar:
Cyclizar @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shed Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Since now you need speed control and Gholdengo is an excellent user for Choice Scarf because of it's trick capabilities and Make it Rain attack drop, I would say go with a Scarf Gholdengo set. This will also helps check your Breloom issue because now you'll outspeed.
:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Nasty Plot / Thunderbolt

Dondozo should run this EV spread so you can utilize it's special defense: EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Att (Careful nature)

Hope my suggestions are helpful.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm going to give a short rate:

Threats: Breloom does a pretty good job of breaking down this team (Specifically this set):
:breloom:
Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore / Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Bulldoze / Close Combat

Spore could take any of your Pokémons out the game and then Loom could just start breaking down the team depending on what set it's running. Yes most Breloom sets run Spore 99% of the time and Air-Balloon Gholdengo usually walls it, but if it's running any set that's running Bulldoze it could be problematic. If running any Swords Dance Close Combat set then Corviknight would have a problem, so it's ideal you scout out Looms set to see.

Glimmora and Gholdengo are a supreme duo with setting up entry hazard and for the inability by the opponant to Defog / Rapid Spin on Dengo.

I would go with Tera Type Grass on Glimmora for defensive Tera purposing. For coverage I would go with Earth Power > Hyper Beam since a lot of Steel types might switch-in countering any poison move or even Mortal Spin. Hyper Beam forces you to recharge (cannot move following turn) which can be detrimental in competitive Pokémon because it will force your opponent to set up.

With Corviknight I would say the set looks good I would change the EV spread to: EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 80 SpD / 12 Speed to outspeed other Corviknights and other Pokémon looking to outspeed Corviknight such as (Kingambit). When using a defensive Pokémon, for Tera Type always go for Defensive Tera tactics, because Pokémon will look to KO Corviknight with (Fire or Electric moves) so go with Ground Tera Type for Corviknight.

I see that you prefer Water Absorb for Clodsire and if that's the case I do think from a typing perspective Gastrodon would be the better choice, because Clodsire is used to be an Unaware Pokemon and that's where it excels. You can modify the EVs to allow it to become more of a special defensive wall. I don't think having Toxic on Clodsire is the reason to keep it because the purpose of Glimmora is to activate Toxic Debris / Mortal Spin.
:gastrodon:
Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

For Cyclizar, I do think that the Choice Scarf set can work but I look at as kind of niche I would stick to the Standard set (Below) since I think are much better Choice Scarf users to pick from if you want speed control rather than to trick one Pokémon like (Dragapult) (Cyclizar is known to have mediocre attacking stats 85/95 respectfully):
:cyclizar:
Cyclizar @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shed Tail
- Rapid Spin
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Since now you need speed control and Gholdengo is an excellent user for Choice Scarf because of it's trick capabilities and Make it Rain attack drop, I would say go with a Scarf Gholdengo set. This will also helps check your Breloom issue because now you'll outspeed.
:gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Nasty Plot / Thunderbolt

Dondozo should run this EV spread so you can utilize it's special defense: EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Att (Careful nature)

Hope my suggestions are helpful.
Thanks for your suggestions! I didn't know Breloom was that much of a threat to my team. I've tried out Gastrodon, and it works very nice! I like being able to hit Flying types with Ice Beam. I've also found that, while Cyclizar is able to outspeed and OHKO many Dragons (and non-scarf Cyclizars) with Draco Meteor, the default set works lovely as well. Thank you for fixing Corviknight and Dodonzo's EVs, too. I really like Scarf Gholdengo, too.
Thank you for all of your suggestions, and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)