SS OU my first team (rain urshifu) pls help

Hey, so I haven't been playing for any solid amount of time (like one week) and I decided to create my own team. I'm pretty sure it sucks, so any help would be extremely appreciated! The core is meant to be urshifu + pelipper, using rain so that I'm not forced into choice band/specs.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Protective Pads
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 4 Def
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet

I wanted to go with Urshifu because I like the 'mon, but I didn't want to use Choice band/specs because I don't like being locked into one move. I decided to go with rain because because it boosts surging strikes damage, and protective pads because ferrothorn. Other than that, I think the evs and moves are pretty normal, with aqua jet for cleaning up, u-turn for switching out if need be, surging strikes as a main damage move, and close combat for ferrothorn

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Roost

I needed a rain setter, and Pelipper is the man for the job. Other than that, I believe this one is completely normal, using damp rock to extend rain, scald as a STAB move, knock off to well, knock off opponents items, roost for longevity, and u-turn for a quick exit. It has hp and defense so it doesn't immediately get one shot by anything. This 'mon probably did its job the best of all of this team.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Defog
- Roost
- Iron Defense

I figured I needed something for defense and entry hazards, and corviknight looked pretty cool 4 that. I also added iron defense and body press because I thought it would work out well to combo the two, but after 3 test matches, I don't think it does. Defog is for toxic spikes + spikes + stealth rock, roost is for longevity, and body press and iron defense is an ill-fated combo of lotsa defense = lotsa attack.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Superpower

I already had a physical sweeper in Urshifu, so I thought adding a special sweeper in Tornadus-therian would be good. Other than that, the moves + evs are also pretty standard for this as well. Hurricane + weather ball are really powerful damage moves that are even better in rain, nasty plot is if pelipper dies / even more attack, and superpower is for killing ferrothorn.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Protect

Here's where we get to the pokemon where I had no idea what to put. I decided for clefable because good defense never hurt a man, and put aromatherapy in case multiple of my pokemon get paralyzed / poisoned. Moonblast is for cleaning up pokemon, and soft-boiled + protect are for not dying. The evs are for hp, and I'm pretty sure special defense is normal for clefable.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Earthquake

I really did have no idea which pokemon to put here, so for no reason whatsoever, I put tangrowth. The goal with this 1 is more defense plus if anything is weak to grass / ground, but it did not work at all. Sleep powder is for shutting down a dangerous sweeper, sludge bomb is for fairy types, giga drain is for recovery plus volcarona/heatran, and earthquake is for anything with a ground weakness. I meant for Tangrowth to be sum1 who could tank physical hits while healing by giga drain and putting a major threat to sleep.

Last edited:
I think that you should have 31 defence IVs on Urshifu. Is there a purpose for putting 4?

Also, on a defensive pokemon, don't use lax nature, as it decreases special defence. Since you have both physical and special moves, I would recommend a Relaxed Nature.

You're right, body press + iron defense doesn't really work on corviknight. It wants to remove hazards and pivot out, so you'll want u-turn on corviknight so it can pivot and grab momentum.

On Pelipper, you'll want a bold nature to not decrease the power of scald.

Hey, so I haven't been playing for any solid amount of time (like one week) and I decided to create my own team. I'm pretty sure it sucks, so any help would be extremely appreciated! The core is meant to be urshifu + pelipper, using rain so that I'm not forced into choice band/specs.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Protective Pads
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 4 Def
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet

I wanted to go with Urshifu because I like the 'mon, but I didn't want to use Choice band/specs because I don't like being locked into one move. I decided to go with rain because because it boosts surging strikes damage, and protective pads because ferrothorn. Other than that, I think the evs and moves are pretty normal, with aqua jet for cleaning up, u-turn for switching out if need be, surging strikes as a main damage move, and close combat for ferrothorn

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Roost

I needed a rain setter, and Pelipper is the man for the job. Other than that, I believe this one is completely normal, using damp rock to extend rain, scald as a STAB move, knock off to well, knock off opponents items, roost for longevity, and u-turn for a quick exit. It has hp and defense so it doesn't immediately get one shot by anything. This 'mon probably did its job the best of all of this team.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Body Press
- Defog
- Roost
- Iron Defense

I figured I needed something for defense and entry hazards, and corviknight looked pretty cool 4 that. I also added iron defense and body press because I thought it would work out well to combo the two, but after 3 test matches, I don't think it does. Defog is for toxic spikes + spikes + stealth rock, roost is for longevity, and body press and iron defense is an ill-fated combo of lotsa defense = lotsa attack.

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Weather Ball
- Superpower

I already had a physical sweeper in Urshifu, so I thought adding a special sweeper in Tornadus-therian would be good. Other than that, the moves + evs are also pretty standard for this as well. Hurricane + weather ball are really powerful damage moves that are even better in rain, nasty plot is if pelipper dies / even more attack, and superpower is for killing ferrothorn.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Protect

Here's where we get to the pokemon where I had no idea what to put. I decided for clefable because good defense never hurt a man, and put aromatherapy in case multiple of my pokemon get paralyzed / poisoned. Moonblast is for cleaning up pokemon, and soft-boiled + protect are for not dying. The evs are for hp, and I'm pretty sure special defense is normal for clefable.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Earthquake

I really did have no idea which pokemon to put here, so for no reason whatsoever, I put tangrowth. The goal with this 1 is more defense plus if anything is weak to grass / ground, but it did not work at all. Sleep powder is for shutting down a dangerous sweeper, sludge bomb is for fairy types, giga drain is for recovery plus volcarona/heatran, and earthquake is for anything with a ground weakness. I meant for Tangrowth to be sum1 who could tank physical hits while healing by giga drain and putting a major threat to sleep.

Pelliper needs no attack evs. Optimally, you'd opt for it in spatk or spdef.
Also Defog > Knock Off on Pelliper since your team lacks hazard removal

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam / Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Corviknight's ev spread is wonky and can't help it against strong attackers like kartana

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Head / Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
This ev spread will allow you to tank in physical much easier while still not getting 2HKO'ed by specs tapu lele and specs dragapult.

Focus Blast > Superpower on tornadus. Superpower doesn't even do up to 50% to ferrothorn.
Heavy duty boots could be opted over Life Orb since your team doesn't have a "proper" defogger.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Weather Ball

Honestly, Clefable and its set doesn't fit here. I'd advise you to use a ground type instead like a Landorus or Garchomp with Stealth Rocks
You could even go with a seismitoad for a rain abusing stealth rocker

Ferrothorn > Tangrowth since basically every rain team needs spdef ferrothorn to tank in tapu lele's hits and provide utility

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)