My Genesect Rain OU Team

I would like some help with my team. I am still quite new to competitive pokemon battling and I would like as much critique as possible. Anything will help.

186f.gif

Politoed @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

So this pokemon is my summoner and packs quite a powerful punch. Choice Specs to hit like a truck. All moves are pretty much self explanatory, Focus Blast to nail Ferrothorn, Hydro for stab, Ice Beam and HP Grass for coverage.

641-therian.gif

Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Superpower
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

This form of tornados destroys some common picks like heatran etc and is very strong in a rain team as is. A missed hurricane does hurt a lot, but it is worth it at the same time I think. U-turn to keep the offensive momentum up and HP Ice is for dragons.

598.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Careful Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Spikes

This is my defensive walla and I've used skarmory quite a bit in the past, but I feel like ferrothorn is better. Leech seed of the much needed recovery, protect to stall out and for scouting. Spikes for entry hazards.

051.gif

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Reversal

If they use heatran or forretress on my ferrothorn and I can predict Dugtrio can at least 2HKO them. SR for hazards, reversal hurts the pink blobs very hard and stone edge for coverage which nails flying mons.

121.gif

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Starmie is good for getting rid of entry hazards and can provide me with some extra coverage as well. Surf for the stab, thunderbolt so I can hit in whatever weather, Ice Beam for dragons and grass type mons.

649-shock.gif

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Genesect is ridiculously strong with U-turn and has great coverage as well. One thing I am not certain about is where to put bug buzz as I find all of the above moves really important.

Pretty solid team over all, with some things I would change. Personally I would make you Ferrothorn solidly defensive and give him you stealth rocks. That way you can make sure that you're getting all you hazards up, and he can still pack a punch with power whip without the attack EVs. That way you can use Dugtrio to his full ability as a frail sweeper. Your team is pretty weak to common Sub Jirachi sets or a speedy Alakazam. Always have an alternative in mind, because while your team has coverage for the main powerhouses in OU, it could easily be caught off guard by some lesser used or even lower teir pokes. Anyways, pretty solid team.

As this is a rain team, Flamethrower is going to be pretty weak on Genesect. If you need somewhere to put Bug Buzz, that's what I would replace.

Input: Make your RMT more specific. Make it more visually appealing.

Politoed: Yes we know it's your summoner and of course STAB Rain Boosted Choice Specs Hydro Pump will be doing a lot of damage. But why this set? Why those moves? What do they cover for your team?

Tornadus-Therian: He is powerful in rain yes we all know. In fact he almost needs rain due to his STAB Hurricane. But why Tornadus? Why not some other ridiculously strong Rain abuser such as Keldeo? Does Tornadus-T cover something or accomplish something that other rainabusers can't?

Ferrothorn: He is your Physical wall; thank God it isn't your sweeper of choice...What was wrong with Skarm? What can Ferrothorn do better than Skarm, that it seems to fit your team better? Yet again, explain why Ferrothorn instead of other physical walls

Dugtrio: It is very common for Heatrans to switch in. Please elaborate on the other functions of this 'Mon. Is it only meant to do that and set up SR? or does it have other functions? Also explain why would you send in Dugtrio on Forretress when you can send in Genesect, Politoed, Starmie, or Tornadus-T? Is there a reason? otherwise the listed pokemon are better choices IMO.

Starmie: It does spin for you so that's good. But why that set? Did Bulky Spin not work out for you? Or does it not fit your teamstyle? It throws in coverage? What does it exactly cover that other 'Mons can't and seem to threaten your team?

Genesect: You are using a classic CS set so everything is self-explanatory. However, why him? What does Genesect do for the team?

Gandy, I know you are new so this was my way of shaping you up :)
Follow my questions and answer them in your RMT; I assure you that the quality will become better attracting more people.
Please read the rules and observe some very popular RMTs before posting.
Have fun and welcome to Smogon

As this is a rain team, Flamethrower is going to be pretty weak on Genesect. If you need somewhere to put Bug Buzz, that's what I would replace.

Flamethrower is essential to Genesect. Without it you can't deal damage with steel types and more importantly other Genesect. That alone is reason enough to carry it.

Back