SS OU My OU Team

SiceXV

Banned deucer.
Yeoooo, I haven't really been active since gen 6 when I ran a mega sabyleye team and have just recently started playing showdown again. This is my attempt at an OU team I've been running recently and I'm honestly just looking for suggestions to improve it as I'm currently in the 1400 range on the ladder.

The Team
rotom.png

We HAWT @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Will-O-Wisp
- Reflect
- Volt Switch

Rotom-Heat is usually my lead when using this team as you can see, its primary job is to set up screens. I thought it'd be interesting to build a very bulky support Rotom that usually catches people off guard thinking it has overheat/nastyplot. Will-O can make scary physical threats to this team useless and unless the opponent runs Aromatherapy which I don't see too often. Volt Switch is obviously there just to keep momentum in my favor.​

Toxapex_SM.gif

Lizzo @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald
- Toxic/Baneful Bunker

Toxapex might be the most annoying pokemon to deal with in OU right now. Even if my screens aren't up, this absolute unit tanks a lot of mons as it takes a lot to kill as its main role is to slowly wither pokemon down with toxic and scald. Its easy access to healing (recover, black sludge, and regenerator) helps in keeping this thing alive, and to scout for banded or specs mons. Haze keeps my team safe from setup pokemon and usually forces switches. Keeping Toxapex alive is essential to this team as it's the main wall and key in winning a stall battle.​
corviknight gif.gif

Walmart Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 200 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt

Corvi is another wall this team has thanks to it's typing and it's immunity to spikes and poison (Rip Skarmoy). Being a reliable defogger, it clears the hazards that can potentially hurt the other members of the squad. The 200 Speed EV spread allows it to be faster than 252 Spe Clefable and 2 Hit KO it with Iron head as Clefable is a huge threat to this team. Taunt is there to deal with annoying corsolas, topas, and ferros since it out speeds and Corvi's ability pressure helps with stalling my opponents out faster. It's another mon that essential to be kept alive because if it goes down my team's weakness to fairies becomes more exposed.​

syl.gif

shawty @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Substiute

Another SpD wall, Sylveon is both a wall and a sweeper. Pixilate on top of Calm Mind is a deadly combo, alongside that screens that are usually set up makes it pretty hard to kill. This is one of the two main offensive weapons on the team as it can check Hydreigon and Dragapult with ease. Wish can keep Sylveon alive or I can wish pass into another mon. However, from my experience, this would be one of the mons I'd sacrifice if put in a saccing situation.​

umbreon.gif

Kurapika @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Yawn
- Protect
- Wish

Umbreon serves as another SpD wall but also has good enough defensive to withstand physical attackers, unlike Sylveon. Mostly used a wish passer to heal the members of the team that can't heal themselves or to ensure a safe switch in. Synchronize is great against T-Wave users as I switch into this if my Rotom isn't alive. Yawn is used to force switches and I opted to use Foul Play instead of snarl to do modest damage to most physical sweepers that usually come in when my opponent sees Umbreon is on the field.​

Dragapult_SS.gif

SLATT @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Finally, Dragapult is the revenge killer of this squad. It's diverse move set and its speed is the main reason why I use it as nothing can outspeed unless they're running a scarfed mon. With specs this Draga can OSKO all the dragons, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Excuadrill, and 2 shot Tox. Infiltrator is also great just in case my opponent runs screens or has a sub up as well. I switch into Draga sparely when I can predict what mon my opponent is going to switch into because if it goes down, my team can crumble pretty fast as Draga serves as the primary offensive weapon.​

Potential Threats- Conkledoor, Clefable, Dugtrio, Excudrill

Hey SiceXV, this is an interesting build. For the most part it mirrors most of the common defensive cores in the tier type wise, however a lot of your spreads and sets aren't really optimized to allow you to break common cores or to play around common offensive threats. My rate will be focused on remedying these issues while also trying to address the threatlist you added at the bottom of your post.

First, your Rotom-H set. While screens are pretty potent in this meta, your team doesn't really take advantage of them. Your only booster is Calm Mind Sylveon which is mono-attacking Fairy. Screens alone aren't going to help it break considering on every team that isn't hyper offense you will be encountering either Corviknight, Ferrothorn, Toxapex, Excadrill, Aegislash, or Rotom-H which you aren't realistically muscling through. Barring your Dragapult and Rotom itself, everything on your team has access to recovery, which mitigates whatever usefulness or necessity for screens there could be. Plus with Dragapult being your only mon with any form of offensive pressure, so it shouldn't be tossed in recklessly even with screens up since without it your team can't really touch Ferrothorn or opposing Toxapex. With that being said you should run Nasty Plot Rotom-H > Screens Rotom-H. This gives you something with offensive presence outside of Dragapult, adds more speed to your team since Nasty Plot variants run max speed Timid, and forms a nice offensive core with Dragapult since common switch-ins to Dragapult like Clefable, Mandibuzz, and SpDef Corviknight all fare poorly against Rotom-H.

The next issue I see with your team is your lack of a Stealth Rock setter. Hazards since their inception in Gen 2 have been virtually mandatory on every team, especially Stealth Rock from Gen 4 forward. Being able to put up hazards prevents your opponent from aggressively double switching risk free, and it helps you whittle down your opponents team passively, making them easier to break, which helps you outplay otherwise bad matchups. With your team being so heavily defensive, you need a form of passive damage outside of just Toxic on Toxapex and Will-O-Wisp on Rotom-H since, as previously stated, your team isn't very offensively inclined. With that being said there are two ways you can go about fitting a Stealth Rock setter on your team;

The more defensive route is running defensive Kommo-o > Umbreon. Umbreon + Sylveon is very redundant, considering the only thing you're really checking with Umbreon that you aren't with is Specs Aegislash. Even with Umbreon gone you can always pivot into your Toxapex on Aegislash to scout for its set. Physical sets are checked well enough by Toxapex, and if you pivot Toxapex into Choice Specs Shadow Ball then you can hard switch into Kommo-o to ignore the hit due to Bulletproof. Toxapex takes every hit from Specs Aegislash well (Steel Beam, Flash Cannon) outside of Shadow Ball itself which it can utilize Regenerator to mitigate the damage from. Kommo-o also takes on physical attackers like Excadrill, Bisharp, and Crawdaunt very well to alleviate pressure from your Toxapex. The other change from there would be to run a spread of 252 HP / 120 Def / 124 SpD / 12 Spe on your Sylveon to still be able to stomach a +2 Life Orb Flash Cannon from Hydreigon after Stealth Rock damage while also being able to comfortable beat Focus Sash Dugtrio 1v1 without netting much damage. It also helps you take a +1 Life Orb Phantom Force from Dragapult if worse comes to worse, and outspeeds uninvested Tyranitar and Clefable. A set of Wish / Hyper Voice / Mystical Fire / Protect on Sylveon is preferred over Calm Mind since you have Nasty Plot Rotom-H to break far more reliably. Mystical Fire helps manage opposing Special Attackers well by dropping their SpA to eat their hits easier, as well as catch stuff like Gengar and Specs Aegislash on the switch and make them easier to pivot into. Alternatively you can run Quick Attack over Mystical Fire on Sylveon so you can kill Choice Band Excadrill after a Hyper Voice before it gets a chance to 2HKO you, but Mystical Fire is usually for more consistent and practical. A more offensive route would be to run Stealth Rock Clefable > Sylveon and Life Orb Nasty Plot Hydreigon > Umbreon. Hydreigon helps you break through shared checks with Dragapult like SpD Mandibuzz, Tyranitar, and Clefable by nuking them with +2 Draco Meteor and Flash Cannon respectively which makes it far easier for you to clean with Shadow Ball late game. Clefable also fills the same role as Sylveon, and while it doesn't have as much special bulk or power, it makes up for that by having an immunity to hazards and Toxic + Burn damage.

With both variants you're better off running physically defensive Corviknight with Brave Bird improve your matchup against Conkeldurr. Iron Head isn't really necessary on Corviknight considering your Fairy type in either variant very easily avoids a 2HKO from Life Orb Clefable, as does Rotom-H which can also set up on it. On the more
offensive variant you should run Body Press > Taunt on Corviknight to help cover your weakness to Bisharp, Excadrill, and Obstagoon, whereas on the more defensive variant you should run U-Turn > Taunt to from a VoltTurn core with Rotom-H to help the team gain more momentum to exert pressure, as well as give you more opportunities to get your Dragapult in.

:ss/Rotom-Heat: :ss/Hydreigon: :ss/Clefable: :ss/Toxapex: :ss/Corviknight: :ss/Dragapult:
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Roost
:ss/Rotom-Heat: :ss/Kommo-o: :ss/Sylveon: :ss/Toxapex: :ss/Corviknight: :ss/Dragapult:
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 124 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire / Quick Attack
- Protect

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Corviknight @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

Hope I was able to help!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)