My Very First LC Team - Advice Appreciated

Introduction
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
my Name is Alex, 23 Yrs old and also known as x.XSp3ct3RX.x23 on Showdown.
First of all, I would like to say that English is not my native language.
However, I hope that you know what I'm talkin about.

I'm still a total Beginner when it comes to Competitive Battling.
About 4 weeks ago, I decided to start with it and was instantly in love with LC.
And now, without losing any further Time...

Let's Get Started!

At a Glance

@
||
@
||
@
||
@
||
||
@

Teambuilding Process

Scraggy/Munchlax
For my first team I decided to take Scraggy and Munchlax, simply because I've discovered that Scraggy is quite a monster, and Munchlax has good special bulk. And just out of sympathy ;)

Scraggy/Munchlax/Shieldon
Since I lacked the physical defense, I thought Shieldon would make a good job. It is also good to set up Entry Hazards.

Scraggy/Munchlax/Shieldon/Squirtle
Scraggy strikes well on the physical side, now I need a mon which is able to cause special damage. I chose Squirtle.

Scraggy/Munchlax/Shieldon/Squirtle/Woobat
It is easy to see, that I have no resistance to the Ground-Type. Shieldon even has a serious weakness against this type. Scraggy has a great weakness against the new Fairy-Type, and beyond a Fighting-Type weakness. With this knowledge, I decided to add Woobat in the team, because Scraggy and Woobat cover their respective weaknesses. And now I have a Ground Immunity, which helps Shieldon to stay alive.

Scraggy/Munchlax/Shieldon/Squirtle/Woobat/Magby
Since three Pokémon are quite slow, I wanted more speed. And also for the type diversity.
So here comes Magby, which is also weak to ground, but for that I have Woobat.

I realized that Magby is fast but fragile in the physical defensive. I decided to compensate for this. Chimchar seemed like a good alternative. And it also has access to some attacks, which I find very important. What I mean by that, you can see below.

In Depth
(M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Moxie
Nature: Jolly
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 60 SDef / 212 Spd

- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab

Overview
As already said, Scraggy is quite a Monster. It does pretty good damage, and by its ability it strikes even harder. After a Dragon Dance, its speed is increased to 22, so it is very fast. STAB Drain Punch to stay alive and Poison Jab against Fairies. Eviolite for more Bulk.
(M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SDef

- Return
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch

Overview

Munchlax is my special Wall. With it's Ability i can easily switch it into Fire and Ice Moves. STAB Return.
Ice Punch to hit Dragons hard. Thunder Punch was first on Chimchar, but I realized it's better to give this Move Munchlax. It's kind of an allrounder. Eviolite make it even harder to beat down.
(M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 196 HP / 20 Atk / 52 Def / 20 SAtk / 212 SDef

- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Overview

My physical Wall. Before, it had Eviolite. I've then changed it for Berry-Juice, because of it's Ability. Shieldons HP will be regenerated and the Ability is active again. I'm able to set up Stealth Rocks. Roar against Stat-Boost-Abusers and do some Damage by Stealth Rocks. Sometimes used as Lead.
(M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 76 Def / 200 SAtk / 4 SDef / 224 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk

- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Overview

Squirtle is my Special-Sweeper and Spinner. STAB Scald over Surf because of the Chance to Burn. Ice Beam against Dragon-, Grass- and Ground -Types such as Phantump, Lileep and Golett. Rapid Spin to get rid of Entry Hazards. Eviolite make it more defensive.
(F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Simple
Nature: Timid
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SAtk / 12 SDef / 180 Spd

- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Calm Mind

Overview

My second Special Attacker. Often my Answer to Mienfoo and Croagunk. Taunt to stop Boosting- and/or Entry Hazard Moves. Woobats Ability + Calm Mind is not to be underestimated. Once used, Woobat is able to sweep through a whole Team. As I said before, my Ground Immunity.

(M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 84 Def / 20 SDef / 188 Spd

- Fire Punch
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Brick Break

Overview

Oh Chimchar, lil' Monkey. Chimchar is often my Lead. With Fake Out and U-Turn it make good amount of Damage on the first Round. I had my doubts if it works, but yeah, it works surprisingly well. I'm glad to have a Mon with U-turn, it makes my Team more flexible. STAB Fire Punch and Chimchars Ability is very Powerful. As already mentioned As already mentioned, it had Thunder Punch but I decided to give Chimmy Brick Break instead.

(M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 156 Atk / 116 SAtk / 172 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP

- Flamethrower
- ThunderPunch
- Mach Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Overview

Well, what can I say about you, fiery Duck? You're fast, no Question. But it seems like, that you're very frail in the physical defense. Nope, I think it was the wrong EV-Spread. I want Magby as my Lead, but it has no Access to Fake Out or U-turn. Hidden Power Grass was meant for Magbys Weaknesses. And that was the Point. Magby hadn't done enough damage. So it got easily taken out by STAB EQ or Aqua Jet.
As i already said, I think it was the wrong EV-Spread.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-118939874

Sraggy Saved The Day! :p

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-118697642

A Woobat Sweep?!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-118974423

This Match was close!

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-118986700

Scraggy saved the day again!

Here are some Threats I figured out.

Elekid is strong and fast. With the Attack Brick Break and Thunder Punch, it is a big Threat.

Same Problem with Magnemite. Even harder because of It's Bulkiness.

Golett is kind of an Issue. With It's ability and the Moves Ice Punch, Thunder Punch and STAB Earthquake it's hard to take it down.

Phantump is just annoying. The Ability Harvest, an Oran or Sitrus Berry, the Move Substitude it is soo annoying. It can set uo Subs all Day long. Between that..watch your Hair!.. Will-O-Wisp. UGH!!

Closing Statement and Importable

Urkel (Scraggy) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 Atk / 60 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab

Burp (Munchlax) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch

Roger (Shieldon) (M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 196 HP / 20 Atk / 52 Def / 20 SAtk / 212 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Shelly (Squirtle) @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 76 Def / 200 SAtk / 4 SDef / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Wooble (Woobat) @ Eviolite
Ability: Simple
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SAtk / 12 SDef / 180 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Calm Mind

Chimmy (Chimchar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Atk / 84 Def / 20 SDef / 188 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Brick Break

So yeah, that´s basically it.
All Advices are accepted and will be considered.

Thank You Guys For Your Time, To Rate My Team I Really Appreciate It.

Last edited:
I would have thought that fighting types would give you more trouble than any of the threats you listed. You only really have woobat to take them on and it isnt exactly a full on stop if the fighting type in question has a dark or rock type attack (which most do have). I havent kept up with lc recently, but I would assume mienfoo is a pain in the ass if it hasnt been banned.

I would also like to recommend dark pulse on squirtle over toxic. It may not seem like a big deal, but it will discourage spin blocking and toxic isnt really all that useful against most offensive spin blockers like ghastly.

I would also recommend using a more offensive spread for shieldon or switch to a more offensive sturdy juice abuser that still has rocks such as aron (I think there are better ones out there, so look into it). The point of sturdy juice is to take three hits no matter what. With defensive investment on shieldon, it can be beaten in two hits rather easily against a smart opponent. Adding to its offensive prowess allows for a more threatening pokemon that still takes a similar number of hits if not more in some cases!!

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In your threat list, you've listed some very uncommon threats, but there are some much more common things your team struggles with. For some reason, you have no Knock Off user on this team. Knock Off is one of the most useful moves in LC, because more than half of pokemon you'll encounter carry Eviolite, and getting rid of it makes an opponent less bulky, so run Knock Off > Crunch on Scraggy. I'd probably put it on at least another Pokemon too.

If Chimchar is your lead, the I'd consider Stealth Rock > Brick Break. U-turn isn't amazing either on a lead, so maybe consider changing it to Thunder Punch or Mach Punch

Any moderately powerful Fighting-type could probably sweep you with little trouble, so having a bulky answer to most of them is pretty vital. Koffing, Trubbish and Larvesta all can do this.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help, but team building / rating isn't my strong suit.

Thank You Guys for your Suggestions.

I'll think about it, and do some changes later on.
I would also like to recommend dark pulse on squirtle over toxic. It may not seem like a big deal, but it will discourage spin blocking and toxic isnt really all that useful against most offensive spin blockers like ghastly.
Dark Pulse on Squirtle is illegal :/

Hi Alex! I must say, I love your format. However, I'm not really a fan of your team here.

A lot of the Pokemon in this team are largely unviable (shieldon, woobat, chimchar) or otherwise offer little utility (munchlax, squirtle) in this metagame. I would highly suggest you take a look at the LC Viability Rankings thread in the LC Competitive forum. Unfortunately, I'm on my phone and can't provide more help at the present moment, but I highly suggest that you start again from Scraggy and form a team with that thread as a guide. When I am able to, I'll edit my post with a proper rate to help you get going!

Edit: So I still stand by what I said before. Teams that are full of Pokemon that can't really stand up to the meta are very difficult to rate without having to change the team almost completely (which isn't what a rate should do). Take a look at the thread I mentioned before, and try to work on your team from there.

Last edited:
Thank You Guys for your Suggestions.

I'll think about it, and do some changes later on.

Dark Pulse on Squirtle is illegal :/
Really? Well thats too bad. I honestly thought it was a move that squirtle could abtain now. I guess it is only blastoise by tm. Then ignore what I said. Toxic is fine.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yo x.XSp3ct3RX.x

I'm here to rate your team!

first off, your team uses some Pokemon that don't have much use in the LC metagame, I'd start off by checking out the Viablity Rankings thread in the LC subforum as boo suggested.

Anyway, Scraggy is a good starting point for a team like yours and I guess Shieldon /can/ work as a flynig type counter to help it out. Munchlax is your special Wall, but it has problems with the most threatening special sweeper in the tier, misdreavus. Porygon could work over it with a set of:

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 36 Spe / 236 HP / 116 Def / 76 SDef
Careful Nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Recover

Porygon is better than Munchlax due to it being specially based so it won't mind will-o-wisp misdreavus as much.
I've added Psychic here, which is an unusual move for Porygon. However with Psychic it can help weaken Fighting-types so Scraggy can sweep easier. The 36 Speed EVs makes it outspeed Timburr so it can usually 2HKO with Psychic if you predict it to switch in.

Talking of Fighting-types, you have no switch-ins to them. Woobat can't, unfortunately, because most of them carry Knock Off which will damage Woobat a lot. To help this I suggest using Fletchling>Woobat. Without an item, fletchling can deal serious damage with acrobatics, and takes less damage from knock off
Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 196 Atk / 180 Spd / 92 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Roost

fletchling can switch into fighting-types that threaten scraggy and set up on them, whilst scraggy can switch into rock and steel type that threaten fletchling and set up on them, creating good defensive and offensive synergy between them.

Next, your team is weak to some more stuff such as Pawniard and it still wouldn't midn another switch-in to fighting types. I'd recommend Ponyta. Ponyta can annoy Fighting-types with Flame Body and makes a good wall to Pawniard.
Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 236 Def / 76 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun

This set is a special attacking ponyta. it can avoid the 2hko from pawniard and keep on using morning sun until flame body burns it. With Solar Beam and Sunny Day it also beats Chinchou 1v1 all the time: this helps fletchling sweep. It can also lure out tirtouga and other rock-types for fletchling.

finally squirtle seems like a good choice for your team being a spinner, but it is almost compeltely outclassed by staryu who can run a similar set, but a lot faster and with recovery

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

this does almost the same thing as squirtle but with better stats, including a fast 19 speed.

tl;dr
munchlax->porygon
woobat->fletchling
chimchar->ponyta
squirtle->staryu

although this seems like a lot of changes, the team is still very similar since i've only replaced things with similar things which just do a slightly better job. you still have to watch out for sturdy Tirtouga and other shell smashers, but porygon should be able to check them, if you keep it healthy, and ponyta can sometimes lure them with solarbeam. I hope I helped! If you have any questions regarding LC, feel free to catch me on irc or in the PS LC room, or just shoot me a message on my profile. I really think with these changes you can improve your record a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)