Monotype My Water-type Monothreat team

Hey all, using this for the first time. I have a water-type team for a mono-water V NatDex OU mono-water tourney, so I'm asking to view this as a mono water monothreat. A few things beforehand though: Pex was banned, Vish was banned, and non-Torrent Greninja was banned. Now, on with the explanations!

:sm/politoed:

argargargarg (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Electric]

My rain setter. Its main goal is simply to set the rain, but it can also Perish Trap the opponent if needed. I like to keep this 'mon alive, but there's not a real way to switch it out without losing momentum. I normally just sack it, but if I know the opponent is going for a Shell Smash or something similar, I switch in to one of my Swift Swimmers and try and kill them.

:ss/ludicolo:

racist jokes (Ludicolo) @ Throat Spray
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Hyper Voice
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed

This Ludicolo is the sweeper of the team. With both the Swift Swim speed boost and the reasonably high bulk and Special Attack, this 'mon decimates the majority of the monothreat teams I've seen so far. Leech Seed can be used to pressure a Pokemon to switch out or just for the chip damage, Hyper voice is for chip and also Throat Spray activation. It struggles against Pelliper and Araquanid to an extent, but I like to think those are dealt with through other parts of my team

:sm/clawitzer:

PISTOL NUKE (Clawitzer) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This is my backup sweeper. Although it has been outclassed by Ludicolo in my battles so far due to Swift Swim, if the 'colo goes down, this things can come in and deal some SERIOUS damage. Specs combined with Mega Launcher is so powerful it hurts: Clawitzer can OHKO fully-invested Starmie and Slowbro with Dark Pulse. However, setup sweepers can deal a lot of damage to it if it doesn't have momentum.

:sm/manaphy:

tf is this thang (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball

This is mostly just here to outlast the opponent and deal serious damage in return. The Rest-Hydration combo is extremely hard to deal with, and Energy Ball and HP Electric is just really good special coverage against Water. I haven't seen it struggle against a lot of things, but other setup sweepers can shut it down if not dealt with immediately. Fellow Manaphy with Heart Swap could also be a threat, but I haven't seen it happen.

:ss/keldeo-resolute:

yoink (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Secret Sword

This is probably the most off-meta set I've thought of. Psych Up is to stop powerful setup sweepers in their tracks, while Taunt can be used to prevent the opponent Roaring me out or setting up even more. Air Slash and Secret Sword are slapped on there because they counter Ludicolo and a few Water-Rock/Ice types. You can substitute Taunt for Roar for the opponent to lose their boosts and be yoinked away, as the name implies.

:sm/swampert-mega:

weird flex but ok (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Power-Up Punch
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

My late-game cleaner, here to put things away easily with only one weakness (albeit the weakness being possibly the most common coverage type in the tourney) and doubled speed with Swift Swim. If boosting is preferred or you can take a hit, then Power-Up Punch on the opponent and proceed to sweep with the other moves. The only real problem is Swift Swim Ludicolo, because with the same investment it can outspeed, use a STAB 4x SE move, and most likely OHKO, while possibly gaining back HP as well.

That's it for my team, I'd love some feedback.

Last edited:

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Hello OofTheQuagsire o/

It looks like your intention was to build a SS (Swift Swim) Water Monothreat knowing Toxapex, Dracovish, and Ash-Gren/Protean Gren are banned so I will keep this rate going on a similar path. Without furtherado,

Major changes:
:ss/pelipper: > :ss/politoed:
Pelipper has a lot more going for it in comparison to Politoed especially when you eliminate Toxapex who would be Politoed's main target with the combination of Whirlpool and Perish Song. Pelipper acts as a form of hazard control, has access to reliable recovery, a strong 100% accurate STAB move in Hurricane, and can pivot out with U-turn. Pelipper has additional weaknesses with its Flying dual-typing but Mega Swampert covers both Electric and Rock coverage so it's not as detrimental. I would suggest a bulky set so you can take advantage of it longer than you would get out of an offensive variant. Damp Rock is fine but other options include Eject Button, Leftovers, and Heavy Duty Boots.
Pelipper @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

:ss/tapu-fini: > :ss/clawitzer:
Clawitzer is very underwhelming because it is slow and doesn't have great coverage against opposing Water types. Choice Specs hits hard but if everything beats you before you can move, it won't get to hit much. Your team is also extremely weak to Mega Gyarados, Keldeo, and Kingdra so adding Tapu Fini to combat all three major threats is worth the investment. The example set is tanky enough to take hits from all three mentioned, hit back with Super Effective damage and act as a set-up sweeper if needed. It was mainly intended to set up vs Toxapex but it is still good enough to on others.
Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Def / 52 SpA / 228 Spe
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Moonblast

Minor-er changes:
Ludicolo works great on SS and should be a dominant threat w/o Toxapex. Your set is creative but not optimal because you have two Grass moves that do a similar purpose, Hyper Voice + Throat Spray is a fancier way of just using Choice Specs, and Leech Seed won't help much without Protect or a bulkier set. I suggest you use a Choice Specs set with max Speed using Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Knock Off, and Toxic. Giga Drain and Focus Blast are standard for STAB and to beat Empoleon whereas Knock Off and Toxic are less obvious utility additions so that you can ware down other threats such as Sap Sipper Azu.
Ludicolo @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Toxic

:ss/manaphy:
Manaphy should act as a sweeper, like you have, but also to prevent sweeps. Pokemon such as opposing CM Fini or Salac Berry Manaphy are imposing so having a check vs them is appreciated. This means, Manaphy needs to use a slot for Heart Swap even with Tail Glow on its set. Obviously you don't want to pass the boosts willy-nilly but like I said, it's to prevent others from setting up. The set below is one I like to use because it can take boosts and blast holes with Grass and Psychic coverage. Rindo Berry is on the set so it can take +3 Energy Balls from a Salac Berry boosted Manaphy and you can take the sweeps to potential sweep back.
Manaphy @ Rindo Berry
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Heart Swap

:ss/keldeo: :ss/swampert-mega:
I am pairing them together because they require less explanation and edits. Keldeo uses a CM Taunt set to act as another set up sweeper who's main check is Toxapex but as that is banned, Keldeo should do massive work. Fighting and Electric coverage, with HP Electric, is nearly perfect coverage and with its high base Speed, it is hard to check. Swampert only requires a few moves. He needs Earthquake to take advantage of its STAB, sets up Stealth Rock, and can use a surprise Mirror Coat. The last is up to you between Low Kick or Rock Slide.
Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Mirror Coat

That should be all. Here is a final paste so you can copy it easier.
Pelipper @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog

Tapu Fini @ Mago Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 4 Def / 52 SpA / 228 Spe
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Moonblast

Ludicolo @ Choice Specs
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Manaphy @ Rindo Berry
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Heart Swap

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Mirror Coat

Hello OofTheQuagsire o/

Ludicolo works great on SS and should be a dominant threat w/o Toxapex. Your set is creative but not optimal because you have two Grass moves that do a similar purpose, Hyper Voice + Throat Spray is a fancier way of just using Choice Specs, and Leech Seed won't help much without Protect or a bulkier set. I suggest you use a Choice Specs set with max Speed using Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Knock Off, and Toxic. Giga Drain and Focus Blast are standard for STAB and to beat Empoleon whereas Knock Off and Toxic are less obvious utility additions so that you can ware down other threats such as Sap Sipper Azu.
Ludicolo @ Choice Specs
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- Toxic
I didn't want to limit my movepool here, but it's a nice suggestion I'll consider using calcs. I will definitely get rid of Energy Ball, though.

As for the rest, thank you very much!

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey all, using this for the first time. I have a water-type team for a mono-water V NatDex OU mono-water tourney, so I'm asking to view this as a mono water monothreat. A few things beforehand though: Pex was banned, Vish was banned, and non-Torrent Greninja was banned. Now, on with the explanations!

:sm/politoed:

argargargarg (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Hyper Voice

My rain setter. Its main goal is simply to set the rain, but it can also Perish Trap the opponent if needed. I like to keep this 'mon alive, but there's not a real way to switch it out without losing momentum. I normally just sack it, but if I know the opponent is going for a Shell Smash or something similar, I switch in to one of my Swift Swimmers and try and kill them.

racist jokes (Ludicolo) @ Throat Spray
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Hyper Voice
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed

This Ludicolo is the sweeper of the team. With both the Swift Swim speed boost and the reasonably high bulk and Special Attack, this 'mon decimates the majority of the monothreat teams I've seen so far. Leech Seed can be used to pressure a Pokemon to switch out or just for the chip damage, Hyper voice is for chip and also Throat Spray activation. It struggles against Pelliper and Araquanid to an extent, but I like to think those are dealt with through other parts of my team

:sm/clawitzer:

PISTOL NUKE (Clawitzer) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This is my backup sweeper. Although it has been outclassed by Ludicolo in my battles so far due to Swift Swim, if the 'colo goes down, this things can come in and deal some SERIOUS damage. Specs combined with Mega Launcher is so powerful it hurts: Clawitzer can OHKO fully-invested Starmie and Slowbro with Dark Pulse. However, setup sweepers can deal a lot of damage to it if it doesn't have momentum.

:sm/manaphy:

tf is this thang (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball

This is mostly just here to outlast the opponent and deal serious damage in return. The Rest-Hydration combo is extremely hard to deal with, and Energy Ball and HP Electric is just really good special coverage against Water. I haven't seen it struggle against a lot of things, but other setup sweepers can shut it down if not dealt with immediately. Fellow Manaphy with Heart Swap could also be a threat, but I haven't seen it happen.

:ss/keldeo-resolute:

yoink (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Secret Sword

This is probably the most off-meta set I've thought of. Psych Up is to stop powerful setup sweepers in their tracks, while Taunt can be used to prevent the opponent Roaring me out or setting up even more. Air Slash and Secret Sword are slapped on there because they counter Ludicolo and a few Water-Rock/Ice types. You can substitute Taunt for Roar for the opponent to lose their boosts and be yoinked away, as the name implies.

:sm/swampert-mega:

weird flex but ok (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Power-Up Punch
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

My late-game cleaner, here to put things away easily with only one weakness (albeit the weakness being possibly the most common coverage type in the tourney) and doubled speed with Swift Swim. If boosting is preferred or you can take a hit, then Power-Up Punch on the opponent and proceed to sweep with the other moves. The only real problem is Swift Swim Ludicolo, because with the same investment it can outspeed, use a STAB 4x SE move, and most likely OHKO, while possibly gaining back HP as well.

That's it for my team, I'd love some feedback.
Nicee! Im glad you made a rmt, i told him abt you :3 tick tick

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Any suggestions for my team other than Tickens'? Not that he didn't have basically everything I need, I'd just like a little more feedback.
like I said before Mega Gyarados is probably a threat but Roar on Mega Swampert should be fine. Ticken is the Monothreat GOAT, you could ask him for a test run when he comes on! I'd be willing to battle whenever I am free aswell~Monothreat is just prepping for the same type your using

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)