ORAS OU Mystery meat SANDwich

The goal of this team is obviously to abuse sand but also abuse entry hazards aggressively and throw off opponents predictions with uncommon sets. The only major weaknesses I've noticed so far are lucario, rotom w, and faster Sun teams. I haven't encountered it yet but I can see sticky web being an issue as well

Skarmory @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Sandstorm
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is here because I needed a lead with spikes and a backup sandsetter and I didn't want hippowdon so took my skarmory and used sandstorm where I normally run toxic and used smooth rock instead off lefties. I basically spam spikes for three turns if I can then sstorm or sstorm first if the lead has magic bounce or rapid spin, then spam roost and whirlwind until it dies or switch to Garchomp to set stealth rock. If it lives beyond leading I use it to pivot into earthquakes unless gliscor can handle the situation better

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
I choose this set for suprise and it works great with skarmory since it eats most fire types for lunch and skarmory walls most faries and dragons he can't take. I usually set stealth rock first but sometimes ill poison bulkier pokemon that garchomp walls but can't threaten, then Dragon tail as much as I can. Life's a lot easier for excadrill and ttar when theres spikes stealth rock and toxic everywhere on the opposing team. I can use earthquake to fake a choice set or take out weakened pokemon who think they'll get a free first move on dragon tail or eat a toxic

Gliscor @ Sitrus Berry/Flying gem(when it comes out?)
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 ATK / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock off
- U-turn
- Ice Fang
- Acrobatics
This set is also a surprise to most because no one really uses gliscor offensively anymore. I choose sitrus berry to power up acrobatics after he eats its and be able to switch in to neutral hits better although I'm considering lum berry but I will use flying gem when it becomes possible. I use him to pivot, remove items when necessary, and take out fighting types not named lucario, which I've noticed is a huge problem for my team if excadrill isnt already on the field. Ice fang is for Dragons and opposing gliscor

Aurorus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
suprise is a key element of this team, and my Aurorus takes the cake in that department. In the sand with assault vest it's special bulk is massive, and it can take and aura sphere from a neutral natured lucario at full health and sometimes ko back with psychic and some prior damage, which is its main purpose. I really just wanted another pokemon to abuse the SpD boost from sandstorm and to surprise people who probably never prepare for this pokemon in OU. Freeze dry can OHKO Rotom w in sand with stealth rock or spikes which is another common problem for my team

Excadrill @ Air Ballon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
This is where the surprises end. The same excadrill most people run with swords dance to annihilate teams since I don't fear entry hazards other than sticky web and don't see toxic spikes much at all. Considering focus sash here for a free swords dance and probably a couple OHKOs in sand

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Crunch
Mega ttar is the engine I built this vehicle around. Hes my most reliable sand setter and sweeper in one. he causes so many switches I almost always get a free Dragon dance and he only needs one to wreck most teams after the entry hazards I usually lay. Stone edge is for STAB and raw power Crunch for reliability and fire punch wastes ferrothorn, scizor, forretress,and skarmory

Any help would be appreciated I've played about twenty battles online and haven't lost with this team yet so I haven't seen most of my weaknesses yet

Last edited:

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hello Donovan23 . Pretty solid team there. Of course, it does have its flaws. But without further ado, let's get into the rate:

I don't think Skarmory should set up Sandstorm, it just doesn't fit it. So here I would just advise Hippowdon > Skarmory. This Pokemon can easily set up sandstorm via its ability. Of course, you'd now have to change Garchomp to something else or a different moveset entirely. I will provide the moveset below.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge / Toxic / Whirlwind

The Skarmory change would greatly effect Garchomp overall; adding another ice weakness and another stealth rocker. So here I would advise that you take off Tyranitar's mega stone and have Garchomp hold the Garchompite. Mega Garchomp is a beast in the sand, and it doesn't run the stealth rocks. It is pretty much a perfect fit!
-->

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

This team is pretty physical overall and has a huge weakness to Weavile. One of the best Pokemon (if not the best) to check Weavile is Keldeo. Do you see where I'm going with this? Yes, I would definitely advise Keldeo > Gliscor. Not only will this provide another special attacker, but it will provide a good check to one of the biggest threats to your team.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power Bug / Hidden Power Electric / Taunt

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind / Hidden Power Electric

Okay, this is certainly interesting. I would definitely run Choice Specs > Assault Vest though. The added power is great, and you really shouldn't keep an Aurorus in against a Lucario (because most are physical in this metagame). The set is alright, but I would run 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA for EVs. 248 for the least amount when switching in on stealth rocks.

Excadrill fits great on the team overall, as it is able to abuse sand. Nothing is really wrong here but I feel you should run Life Orb > Air Balloon. With that, I'd say Jolly Nature > Adamant. It'll already be a powerhouse regardless of the nature. Without the sand, it hits a decent 303 speed. In case you run out of sand, you may want this boost.

As I stated before, it was preferred that Garchomp holds the mega stone over this. Why? Its main niche on your team is to set up the sand, correct? In that case, try out this. It will hold the Smooth Rock to allow more turns of sand.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Crunch

Potential Additions & Threatlist - Green Text = Addition | Red Text = Threat
- Over Aurorus. Your team has a huge fighting weakness and this deals with them. It's fast and can revenge kill [by using the Focus Sash set]. I will provide a moveset right here in case you consider it.
- Even with Keldeo added, this is a massive threat. Low Kick can beat Tyranitar and its Ice STABs can easily trump the likes of Garchomp and Hippowdon. I would advise you bring in Excadrill while sand is up and keep Keldeo alive.
- Also over Aurorus. This will provide Defog in case you need it while still carrying an offensive presence. Of course, you can always run Rapid Spin over Swords Dance on Excadrill if needed! The moveset is located here .
- Easily shuts down your primary sweepers with priority Will-O-Wisp. You best keep your Keldeo alive to threaten it out.
- Over Hippowdon. This can easily beat Sableye by either Moonblasting or using Heal Bell to heal statuses. It can also use Stealth Rock if needed. Here is a set.

That is all I have for your team! It is looking solid, I will say. Good team and good luck!

I thought about hippowdon at first when making the team and I'm considering making the change you suggested, could you elaborate more on that? I understand hippowdon is a better sandsetter, but I feel his typing doesn't work well with my team. Keldeo is a good suggestion but as a man I can't put the pretty pony on my team plus I don't want anything sand hurts on the team. Thank you for your input

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I thought about hippowdon at first when making the team and I'm considering making the change you suggested, could you elaborate more on that? I understand hippowdon is a better sandsetter, but I feel his typing doesn't work well with my team. Keldeo is a good suggestion but as a man I can't put the pretty pony on my team plus I don't want anything sand hurts on the team. Thank you for your input
Hippowdon doesn't need to waste a moveslot just to setup sand is what I meant. Well the type doesn't matter too much tbh.

And it is okay to have a Pokemon that works well outside of sand. It's like anti trick room users; it is very beneficial to have a mon or two to work outside of it.

Yeah you have a good point there I'd like a way to avoid the damage If they have to come in with it up though. Also do you think changing stealth rock to protect or substitute on garchomp would be a good alternative to making it my mega because I really like my ttar and the extra hazard damge and phasing (that isn't blocked by magic bounce) on my garchomp

Perennial

amol selseila
your team has a glaring weakness to many of the water types in OU, such as Manaphy, Mega Gyarados, Starmie, Rotom-W and Azumarill. this weakness is natural since you have four pokémon weak to water. addressing the issue would be wise to avoid ending on the wrong side of a sweep from those threats and one suggestion I have to tackle the problem is using Ferrothorn over Skarmory. with this change you now have a pokémon capable of keeping a good majority of water types in check. like Skarmory, Ferrothorn also learns Spikes, retaining your entry hazards. furthermore, Ferrothorn is unaffected by sand, keeping the theme of your build intact.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect / Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

give Ferrothorn 0 speed IVs if you decide to use Gyro Ball to strengthen the move.
although Ferrothorn helps with the water issue, she won't solve the problem alone. her vulnerability to Scald burns and the fact that she is the only water switch-in on your team places too much pressure on her to fend away offensive waters for the entire match. Keldeo is also still a big problem even with Ferrothorn. one change you can consider to further help with the issue is Clefable over Aurorus. in all honesty, even though Aurorus is cool and all, her low speed, mediocre stats and abundance of weaknesses render her ineffective in OU. with a mixed EV spread and Thunder Wave, Clefable can soft check many of the water types threatening your team while providing a much needed resistance to fighting, helping you deal with another big weakness: mega Lopunny. she is immune to sand, is an awesome standalone win condition capable of bypassing many of her common answers and serves many of your needs.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
my final suggestion is to change Gliscor's set to a bulky Swords Dance + Toxic Orb variant with Roost. since your team has a worrying weakness to fighting, a bulkier Gliscor carrying recovery options will reduce the weakness significantly. Gliscor is your main answer to strong Earthquake users like Landorus-T/Excadrill and you also say Lucario is one of your main problems. all of these problems are fixed by giving Gliscor more bulk and a method to keep herself healthy enough to consistently handle those guys. with Swords Dance you maintain the offensive presence that you value while Toxic Orb gives you an additional status absorber alongside Clefable. consider using something along the lines of this:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

the EVs make you faster than Adamant Lucario while retaining plenty of physical bulk to handle Excadrill and other typical threats Gliscor is known to deal with. this aside, my final suggestion is to contemplate Fire Blast over Toxic on Garchomp. you minimize the opportunities hazard setters like Skarmory and Ferrothorn have to lay down Spikes and gain a way to better handle Mega Scizor, a major issue for your team between SD and Roost.
nice team, gave you a like!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)