ORAS UU Mystic Johto

I started to battle on Showdown a couple of weeks ago, and while I'm not stranger to Pokémon battles, I would like to tweak my teams where necessary. Just up front, I'm a big fan of theme teams (which is why I usually play Monotype), and this team is no exception. I decided to make a UU team using only Johto Pokémon (allowing for evolutions of said Johto Pokémon being the only exception). The team itself hasn't done too badly, but I wouldn't mind some advice. So, let's get started.

Mystic Johto

Tatl (Espeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun

Tatl here is the Special sweeper of the group, as well as a deterrent for status inflictors. If Donphan or Foretress wish to set up rocks, she bounces them right back and then gets a Calm Mind up while they try to correct the mistake. Tatl is all about surprising her opponents, with Psyshock tearing through special walls while Dazzling Gleam keeps the Dark types at bay. With Morning Sun and Leftovers at her disposal, she can stay in longer than most special sweepers, though I've found that physical attackers might be troubling for her.

Tael (Umbreon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Besides the duality of Johto Eeveelutions on display, Tatl's brother here makes for a rather effective cleric. He can take quite a beating from foes while he sets up wishes to pass to wounded comrades or rings his Heal Bell to cure status ailments. And if you try to set up for a physical sweep, he won't have any of that. His Foul Play turns the opponent's strength into a major weakness. Plus, there's the dreaded Wish/Protect stall tactic that turns battles into a war of attrition.

Janice (Feraligatr) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Crunch

Janice is a surly alligator from accounting who just does not give a flying Foongus what you try to do to her. Once she gets her Dragon Dances up, she tears through teams with moves that cover a large spectrum of opponents (though Crawdaunt does resist all of her attacks). While it's true that most Feraligatrs prefer Ice Punch to Ice Fang, I haven't seen much difference. The Sheer Force and Life Orb boost still allows her to take down her foes with her powerful jaws.

Iago (Crobat) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Taunt
- Roost

Iago here has one major job, and that's to annoy the enemy. Fighting types that might pose a threat to the rest of the team don't hit him nearly as hard, and he can prevent stealth rockers from doing their job with a quick taunt. If rocks do somehow make it to the field, a quick defog blows them away. But if taunters like Wimsicott try to get the drop on him, he's not stuck without options. He simply opts to Brave Bird everything and deal significant damage against his foes.

Of course, such a valuable annoyer needs to keep healthy, which is why he has some Black Sludge and roosting capabilities.

Duckface (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Duckface acts as a defensive wall. Even more so than Umbreon, its job is to stall out the opponent. Tri Attack and Ice Beam prevent it from being shut down by Taunt, and a healthy dose of venomous Toxic can chip away at an opponent while they set up or try to take this fellow down. Trace has been especially effective against Arcanine, either weakening their attack with Intimidate, or absorbing Flare Blitz with Flash Fire.

Raja (Steelix-Mega) (M) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

I'll be the first to admit that this last choice is rather controversial. Raja here is the physical wall of the group, setting up Stealth Rocks while phasing opponents trying to set up and hitting other hard with his dual STAB moves. He usually comes in to block Electric-types from ruining Iago or Janice's day, and while he takes a hit, he'll set up his rocks. But once that's done, barring the opponent's stupidity, he's left with not much else to do. This is the one I'm most likely to change out.

Like I said, this team has had some good victories (including several sweeps with Janice), but any feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you, and I'm here to learn.

I couldn't think of a better way to sign off.

Hello Metool B! Nice theme team, but it think if you changed some pokemon it could be better. :)

Reuniclus > Espeon: Using Calm Mind requires some bulk to pull off. If you want a Calm Mind setter Reuniclus gets the job done, however Espeon is quite frail and it might have trouble Calm Minding when there is a plethora of threats in UU. In addition to it's bulkiness, Reuniclus has the ability Magic Guard meaning that moves such as Toxic/Will-O-Wisp cannot damage it. The set here is recommended:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Sylveon >Umbreon: Sylveon helps Reuniclus by resist Bug and Dark type attacks, it also softens the Fighting Weakness you had before. Sylveon hits harder than Umbreon even with the WishPass set and it can run Defense and switch into neutral/resist special attacks. It just does Umbreon's supportive role better. The set here is the WishPass set:
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Snorlax > Porygon2: Snorlax provides the team with a Entei switch in and a strong band user. It can also switch into a plethora of special attackers. It does Porygon2's job much better while breaking down walls for Reuniclus/Feraligatr to sweep. The set here is recommended:
Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fathttp://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/mystic-johto.3583084/
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Cobalion > Mega Steelix: I chose Cobalion over Mega Steelix because it can revenge kill pokemon like Krookodile and Mamoswine. It's also faster than Celebi (please note that because the set here will be unique). It utilizes Volt Switch meaning that it won't stay in on Bulky Waters and it can pivot into Snorlax/Reuniclus/Feraligatr to break walls more comfortably. The set here is what I recommend:

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head/X-Scissor

Minor Changes:

U-turn > Taunt on Crobat: With U-turn it can form a nice VoltTurn core with Cobalion and your teams aren't rocks weak. I highly recommend this move over Taunt.

Ice Punch > Ice Fang on Feraligatr: Ice Punch hits more harder than Ice Fang so I don't really see why you're using it.

Well, the thing is it's not much of a Johto theme team if not all of the members are from Johto. I guess most Johto fellows aren't that viable in UU.

I'll certainly give this team a try, though the storyteller in me is having Cobalion accost Janice and Iago for a special mission. Don't ask, I have a very active imagination. And thank you for the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)