Monotype Mystic Saidi (Psychic): 300th Post

Bka Onon

I see Fire.
is a Pre-Contributor

:sv/espathra: :sv/scream-tail: :sv/armarouge: :sv/indeedee: :sv/hatterene: :sv/gallade:
(Click Sprites For Import)

[Me :3]

Hi people of Monotype and Smogon, this is me ASKid, or more commonly Bka Onon. I play Monotype, National Dex Monotype, and to a lesser extent SV Ubers, National Dex OU and ADV OU. Today I’ve come here with an RMT Thread to celebrate 300 posts on Smogon. I’m gonna show the Psychic build that you may or may not have already seen by now. But I’ll properly explain everything today. So here goes nothing:

[Team Building Process]

Prologue - The Rehearsal
So, this team was made for Monotype Spring Seasonal Round 4 when I played vs Aqua Jet, so yes Aqua Jet, you were the first victim of this team, congrats. But I decided to choose to build Psychic because I thought it was unexplored and could be quite dangerous.

Phase 1 :Espathra: - Getting Ready for the Dance
Now this all started when I finally realized that Espathra was legal in monotype, now we all know what Espathra does, and that is boost and go crazy :)

Phase 2 :Espathra::Scream-Tail: - Stay Calm, Stay Supportive
I wanted to provide Espathra with support so it could easily set up to its job, that being destruction. Scream Tail was the perfect fit, it’s fast, can set up dual screens, can set up Rocks, and can even pass Wishes.

Phase 3 :Espathra::Scream-Tail::Armarouge: - It’s a Duet
Next up, I thought of this Armarouge set. What if I could have another stored power user that aso beats steals and possibly darks? That's when I came up with this Double Dance Armarouge that if you’re not expecting can easily rob games.

Phase 4 :Espathra::Scream-Tail::Armarouge::Indeedee: - At Your Own Pace
Indeedee was added here for three main reasons: Terrain, Normal Type and Healing Wish. First up terrain, self explanatory, prevents a lot of deadly priority from stuff like Chien and Gambit; Normal typing meant it was a safe switch into Ghosts and Healing Wish let me give my sweepers a second chance even if they got low.

Phase 5 :Espathra::Scream-Tail::Armarouge::Indeedee::Hatterene: - Dance without Distractions
This is when I realized that this team’s biggest weakness was probably Toxic Spikes, and since Psychic has no proper Hazard Removal, Hatterene was an obvious inclusion to prevent hazards altogether. It also came with the added benefit of beating Dark-types like Greninja and Meowscarada.

Phase 6 :Espathra::Scream-Tail::Armarouge::Indeedee::Hatterene::Gallade: - A Saidi from the Heavens
The final piece of the puzzle was Gallade, a strong offensive threat that would take care of even the bulkiest of Darks and Steels, namely, the bane of this team’s existence, Kingambit, which falls to Gallade. With this, the team was complete, and I didn’t know what I created would reach the heights it did.

[In Depth Analyses]

:sv/espathra:
Espathra @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Speed Boost
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

The Star of the Show, the incarnation of Cleopatra herself, Espathra uses a set that aims to maximize its bulk as even when uninvested, Stored Power is strong enough to take down threats on its own. So I just made sure that Espathra outsped Dragapult at +1, which is achieved by 44 Speed EVs and A Timid Nature, letting it threaten the entire metagame.

:sv/scream-tail:
Scream Tail @ Light Clay
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

Next up, Scream Tail, we have Dual Screens, Stealth Rock and Wish, an all utility set that aims to get as much value as possible out of Scream Tail. With Max HP it is also quite bulky letting it easily pass wishes and keep itself healthy to set screens multiple times over a game. Its Speed Tier of 353 also conveniently outspeeds the base 110s like Hisuian Zoroark making it a very fast Screens Setter.

:sv/armarouge:
Armarouge @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Aura Sphere / Flamethrower

This set is deadly. Iron Defense lets it boost its Defense lost by Weak Armor, while Calm Mind further boosts its Special Attack alongside Weakness Policy and also its Special Defense. All of this coupled with Weak Armor’s boost to Speed makes Stored Power reach astronomical levels. Adjacent to these traits is also Armarouge’s access to STAB Flamethrower to nuke Steels or Aura Sphere to hit Darks. 16 Speed EVs lets it outspeed Non Choice Scarf Meowscarada and Greninja at +2. The Given Defense investment also lets it live a Knock Off from Meowscarada and also Headlong Rush from Great Tusk. With Iron Defense it can even beat Kingambit 1v1.

:sv/indeedee:
Indeedee (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Healing Wish

Indeedee-M gained Healing Wish in Gen 9 relegating any use for Indeedee-F, hence we’re using it. It’s the scarfer of the team, for revenge killing purposes, and also being able to switch into Ghost moves. Shadow Ball is put here to counter these ghosts such as Gholdengo and Dragapult. While Dazzling Gleam lets it hit Dark-types like Roaring Moon and Lokix. The terrain it provides is also highly valuable in protecting the team from the various priorities lurking over the tier.

:sv/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Kebia Berry / Kasib Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock

Hatterene as mentioned, is the hazard prevention. It is crucial for the team that Toxic Spikes stay off, hence its item is Kebia Berry letting it beat Toxic Spikers such as Toxapex, Glimmora and Iron Moth. However Kasib Berry lets it deal with Dragapult, another big threat to the team. Giga Drain is the coverage of choice as it hits Quagsire and Dondozo which can be quite annoying for the team and Psyshock and Draining Kiss are good STAB options.

:sv/gallade:
Gallade (M) @ Roseli Berry / Weakness Policy
Ability: Sharpness
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut
- Leaf Blade / Knock Off

Lastly we have Gallade, it uses an Agility Set to become very threatening. With its newfound Sharpness Ability, which makes its STAB reach levels of power it never saw, it can easily beat any Dark team if supported well enough, which this team provides a lot of. Roseli Berry even lets it live Specs Flutter Mane Moonblast even without screens and lets Gallade kill it with Psycho Cut. Leaf Blade lets it beat Quagsire while Knock Off lets it beat Gholdengo. Both valuable targets.

[Threat List]

The following are hard checks/counters:

:Glimmora::Skuntank::Toxapex: - Toxic Spikes
This team is very weak to Toxic Spikes, so under any circumstances, do NOT let them go up. The main reason is of course that we have no proper removal due to dexit, however I am hoping Braviary-H will fix this in the future.

:Dragapult:
Dragapult can be very threatening, it naturally outpaces the entire metagame and it’s no different with Psychic. However playing around it is not the hardest thing, boosted Hatterene handles Specs and Scarf and Indeedee is a good switch in. Dragon Dance Variants are also much easier to deal with since Espathra boosts faster than Phantom Force can hit. But all of this requires a lot of positioning and Dragapult makes it very hard.

:sableye::ting-lu:
This is undoubtedly the hardest core for this team to fight against. On their own, both of these are not too restricting, but together, they put a full stop to this team. Gallade, which can handle Ting Lu, is crippled by Sableye’s burn. Espathra is whirlwinded out by Ting Lu and Taunted by Sabeleye. Armarouge completely cannot hit Sableye if it doesn’t have Flamethrower, but cannot do meaningful damage to Ting Lu if it doesn’t have Aura Sphere. Ting Lu can also insanely cripple the team by setting up Stealth Rocks and/or Spikes, which Hatterene cannot reliably stop as Ting Lu runs Heavy Slam, hence it needs Reflect support to stop Hazards from going up. Breaking down this core is extremely hard, especially considering the fact that you have to also take in count the remainder of the opponent’s team and not sacrifice too many resources.

The following are semi checks/counters:

:Kingambit:
Kingambit is an insane pokemon that has the potential to sweep this team.Luckily, Armarouge can easily take care of any unsuspecting Kingambit, and Psychic Terrain shields the entire team from its Sucker Punch.

:chien-pao:
Same as Kingambit, it’s fast but it’s much more frail, and hence is relatively easier to deal with, especially so if its not running Heavy Duty Boots which makes it susceptible to Stealth Rocks. But if given the chance, Chien Pao can easily turn the tables versus the team.

:dondozo:
Specially Defensive Dondozo, while not completely game ending, is quite annoying for the team. Espathra and Armarouge can easily break through if their Stored Power is at a high enough Base Power, but that requires racking up a lot of boosts, which isn’t the easiest thing in the world and gives Dondozo the opportunity to set up Curses.

:Gholdengo:
Mr. Joe G Dengo can prove to be quite a check with its typing and access to utilities like Thunder Wave and Recover. Indeedee can put a stop to it especially with Shadow Ball, but it can stop other Pokemon, especially Gallade and Hatterene. Espathra and Armarouge also need a few boosts or Indeedee’s terrain to break through it.

[Replays]

(Aqua Jet) Vs Psychic
(ikiarihS) Vs Ghost
(Elyoss) Vs Ground

[Shoutouts / Thanks]
Thank you Neko and Ashbala for bringing up Monotype in PLD and encouraging me to explore it :3.
An extra thanks to Neko for helping me learn NatDex Monotype by rating teams and stuff
Thank you Foots, Redgoop115 and Ida for playing with me even before I got involved with smogon and helping me retain interest.
Thank you Petele for existing, and still having contact :3
Thank you Sunnyboi0 for honestly being one of the best friends and players I found and for always helping me with everything.
Thank you style.css for being incredibly helpful and friendly towards me. I used to look up to you and becoming good friends with you (at least I hope I am) really means a lot.
Thank you CrossHeart for talking to me about Pokemon and for helping me discover more of Smogon.
Thank you ken, Azick, Starfox., TTK, maroon, kenn, Mateeus, Plunder, diegoblu, jeza.p, Tico, Enha Sunoo, rumia MurderousMantyke and mushamu for talking to me, playing with me, and being very nice.
Thank you Monai for being a great teammate in BKCPL and helping me learn and play Ubers, cheers bud.
Extra thanks to mushamu for being a good Math Learner (man you suck at math tho)
Another thanks to Starfox. and style.css for sharing music and introducing me to songs I now really love (Seriously Rib’s cover of Roki and Sugaan Essena are so good)
Thank you Tri for being annoyingly friendly
Thank you LuckyPiper and crashy for managing Rockruffs and being very good. I really hope to play with you guys in more team tours and thank you for pushing me harder. My performance may have not been the best but I’ve got to learn a lot from you guys.
Thank you ArkenCiel, Silveruby, Roxanner, Trouser Snakes, Hurtadoo, Uta The Clown, pas_touchao and QuinnXD for being great teammates, I let you guys down in a few weeks but we’re gonna do great further.
Thank you KrisKiwii for uh idk, being a good apprentice (?) and listening to my rants and vents (Sorry lol)
Thank you AA, even though I’ve only talked to you for a week-ish, you’ve been extremely nice, and very fun to play with.
And of course, once again huge thanks to Aqua Jet for being the first ever victim of this team and hence the inspiration.

I’m really sorry if I missed anyone, remind me if I did please ;-;

[Footnote]

So that brings us to the end. I'm really sorry if the tags annoyed anyone but I just wanted to (in)formally say thanks to everyone who has helped me get where I am. I hope that all of you enjoy the team and more.

Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening, Good Night
See you soon.

rumia

everlasting red
is a Pre-Contributor

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
Goodness, the monotype memoriams are arriving in a show of force!

With that out of the way, this is an insanely good team. I've loaded Fire, Ghost, and Dark into this on ladder and still lost. The only way I've beaten this team is through at least some hax, if not one years' supply.

th-_6_ (1).jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)