Monotype [MYUU] A Monotype Ghost Team for Myuu

So this is a team for the online discord bot Myuu. I'm trying to make an all Ghost gym, and would love your feedback!

Restrictions: Gen 5 and below Pokemon are all that's available at the moment. There are no Megas or G-Max currently.

Also, I'll do my best to do a write up for each Pokemon, but I've never played competitive before. Thank you!

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 SPA / 4 SPD / 252 SPE
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Icy Wind
- Destiny Bond

Why: Ideally, this is my mon that stops the opponent from either setting up, or setting hazards, while also doubling as my own hazard setter. Icy Wind allows me to keep the opponent slow even when they KO, for an easier revenge kill. Destiny Bond with high speed makes for a great combo as well, as setting a hazard and then trading one-for-one seems ideal.

Golurk @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Why: So I chose Golurk as a physical attacker, so we aren't totally stopped by a special wall. No Guard allows us to use much less accurate moves, and rocks as another hazard. Earthquake and Stone Edge are the pure-damage moves, with Dynamic Punch not only serving as coverage, but also to status the opponent. Life Orb allows it to hit just a little harder, hopefully making it a bit more viable.

Chandelure @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball

Why: So, Chandelure. The idea behind this set is to setup a substitute, and then Calm Minds to sweep. Shadow Ball and Flamethrower together provide decent type coverage, with also getting STAB. Flash Fire chosen to allow for better switch ins from Froslass, as getting hit by a fire move will strongly boost this Pokemon's ability to sweep. Colbur Berry to hopefully allow it to setup.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SPD
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Why: So we have our special attacker, and here we have our wall. While the typing isn't exactly excellent, Cursed Body and Recover/Toxic give a solid stall plan. Hex is the Ghost-Type damage move of choice, especially with a Toxic set. Scald is to provide type coverage, and give it the ability to also hit Normal types. Leftovers plays pretty well into this stall set, giving a little extra HP each turn for the opponent to beat through.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

Why: Ah Gengar. A Personal favourite of mine, and a Jack-Of-All-Attacks on this team, giving great coverage against basically whatever it faces. Additionally, with Cursed Body, it helps the survivability of other team members, by not allowing them to get KO'd quite so quickly. Black Sludge as an additional Leftovers, to hopefully give this glass cannon a bit of survivability.

Spiritomb @ Black Glasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 ATK / 4 SPD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak

Why: Spiritomb is there to burn your Pokemon, and then smack them on the switch out with Pursuit, and then finally when they go for the KO Sucker Punch them for even more damage. Shadow Sneak provides a physical Ghost move, and Black Glasses are chosen to boost half this set. EVs in Hp for survivability, and attack for damage. Since all moves are priority (save for Will-O-Wisp), no EVs to speed.

This is my first foray into even a semi-competitive scene, and I super appreciate any and all help, thank you!

Other considered Mons:

Unburden Driftblim

Nasty Plot Mismagius​

Hi, I'm not sure to understand in what meta you want to play your team. Your gengar has Cursed Body so i guess it's not gen 5 but Spiritomb does not exist in gen 8 so it can't be gen 8 either. Is it something like national dex with only gen 5 and below mons ?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure to understand in what meta you want to play your team. Your gengar has Cursed Body so i guess it's not gen 5 but Spiritomb does not exist in gen 8 so it can't be gen 8 either. Is it something like national dex with only gen 5 and below mons ?
Yes, I play myuu its like you are limited to gen 5 mons but you have moves from gen 6, 7, and 8.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Pre-Contributor
the

I think that for the gengar you could replace focus blast with skull bash if you want and if you did that then you could replace the black sludge with a power herb
Gengar has 65 base attack. Try running it with a Choice Scarf with Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Sludge Bomb.

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
the

I think that for the gengar you could replace focus blast with skull bash if you want and if you did that then you could replace the black sludge with a power herb

Is there any reasoning for this? Focus Blast provides Gengar coverage against Dark-Types while Skull Bash doesn't provide any coverage whatsoever being a Normal-Type move, you have to use a Power Herb instead of Black Sludge which provides recovery over turns for Gengar since it lacks recovery moves and Gengar's physical attack stat is significantly lower than special attack. Skull Bash is a physical move.

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Here are some changes I think will make the team more successful:

:Jellicent:

Jellicent would work better with the ability Water Absorb in this team, it would give Chandelure and Golurk something to switch into against Water-Types. Since this is a physically defensive build I would use Will-O-Wisp over Toxic so you can make physical attackers struggle against Jellicent, this means that Scald can be dropped for Night Shade for more consistent damage against a foe that resists Hex, and I would use Strength Sap over Recover because lowering a physical Pokemon's attack makes breaking Jellicent incredibly hard.

:Gengar:

Gengar using four moves would be more viable using Choice Specs over Black Sludge, this makes it hit extremely hard and still have good coverage. If you decide you still want to use Black Sludge, you can swap Thunderbolt and Sludge Wave out for Nasty Plot and Substitute. Setting up behind Substitute becomes very dangerous if nothing can break the Substitute without getting hit hard by Gengar or there isn't a Pokemon with Haze on their team.

:Chandelure:

I think the Chandelure set looks great although there is an alternative that personally hits harder and if setup it can wall some special attackers while being a sweeping threat. Instead of Substitute I would give it Energy Ball so it doesn't get walled by Tyranitar, Rotom-Wash, and Vaporeon. I would also change your held item from Colbur Berry to Life Orb so it can increase it's damage output.

:Golurk:

Golurk is one of the only viable physical Ghost-Type attackers so It's a great choice, it also provides an Electric-Type immunity for Jellicent. I would only change a few things for this set to make it extremely powerful. Instead of Life Orb I recommend running Choice Band, you really don't need to set Stealth Rock when Frosslass has Spikes. I would keep the moves you have but instead of Stealth Rock use Poltergeist which does a lot of damage with STAB and reveals your foe's held item.

:Spiritomb:

This is probably your best bet for Dark-Types since base Sableye doesn't have defensive stats as good as Spiritomb and being a Dark-Type you give Gengar a switch in against Psychic-Types. Looking at your team you really have no answers to special attackers so I would genuinely change the entire set to a more defensive build rather than the semi-offensive set you chose. For the held item I chose Leftovers since Spiritomb's only recovery move is Pain Split which is really situational, for the moves I would change them to Toxic for outstalling Pokemon, Pain Split to get recovery against healthier Pokemon facing Spiritomb, Foul Play is for physical attackers that threaten Jellicent since it does decent damage, and Pursuit lets Spiritomb trap lower health Pokemon and potentially kill them on their switch out.

These are the changes I believe can make this team a little bit better against the common Ghost-Type counters and against good teams in general. It's pretty cool to be using lower generation monotype teams for gyms, pretty unfortunate you can't use some of the more modern Ghost-Types but still looks fun to play with!

IMPORT:
:Jellicent: :Gengar: :Chandelure: :Froslass: :Golurk: :Spiritomb:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)