National Dex [NatDex UU] Dracozolt Sand Rush + Grassy Terrain Support

So I got to the top 9 in the ladder of NatDex UU, and then completely tanked my rating after about a week of constant losses to low tier players. The drop was so bad, that I found myself back in the 1100s (Yikes!). Nevertheless, I'm still determined to get back to my rank (albeit undeserved, take a look at my GXE compared to everyone else), and become one of the best players in the tier. To complete this mission, I've created this team. Using it has gotten me back to my average rank of 1380 but it's expected to rise.

1656611463899.png
(Click on the picture for the team)

General Composition
:Hippowdon:
I want a sand and hazard that can also bulk a lot a hits and has good longevity. I also want it to disrupt teams by spreading status and chipping down enemies.
:Hippowdon::Dracozolt:
I need a sand abuser to go with the sand setter who can also provide good synergy with it as well as dealing immediate damage to a wide array of Pokémon.
:Hippowdon::Dracozolt::Tapu Bulu:
Dracozolt is good, but I need someway of supporting it so that it's not walled by ground types. I also need a way to negate Life Orb damage somewhat.
:Hippowdon::Dracozolt::Tapu Bulu::Keldeo-Resolute:
I'd like something to make sure that Bulu isn't beat by steel and fire types and I'd also like some form of speed control against sweepers.
:Hippowdon::Dracozolt::Tapu Bulu::Keldeo-Resolute::Bisharp:
I want a Pokémon that helps make sure sweepers don't get the best of me, while also paring well with Bulu and Keldeo.
:Hippowdon::Dracozolt::Tapu Bulu::Keldeo-Resolute::Bisharp::Rotom-Heat:
I need a form of hazard control that's relatively bulky and provides decent utility. It also needs to pair well with the most of the team.

The Team
The goal of this team is a simple one: sweep with Dracozolt. The rest of the team is to support Dracozolt and Hippowdon so that they remain unchallenged. This means that any and all ground types, walls, priority users, and Maltaria must be eliminated at all costs.

1656616728485.png
(Sleepy Boi)
Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- High Horsepower
- Slack Off

Dedicated Stealth Rock lead and Yawn abuser. Once rocks are down, Yawn spam can just force so much chip damage that it's not even funny. Eventually when your opponent finally decides to stay in, you have yourself a free switch opportunity at no cost. High Horsepower was chosen over EQ as to not interfere with Tapu Bulu's Grassy Terrain.

1656616788929.png
(Two Words: Bolt Beak)
Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bolt Beak
- High Horsepower
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

It's a Sweeper, and a good one at that. Bolt Beak tears up a ton of threats and the rest is just coverage moves so I'm not completely bogged down. High Horsepower is so can deal with Zeraora and Nidoking somewhat and Outrage is a STAB move that does a lot of damage to offensive threats (although I'm strongly considering switching to Fire Blast for extra coverage). I chose Iron Tail over the standard Fire Blast so I could hit Maltaria.

1656616797943.png
(Free leftovers!!!)
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- High Horsepower
- Megahorn

An decent revenge killer in the meta and it doesn't need a lot of help to stay in the game. Typical SD sweep set IMO. Only difference is that instead of Close Combat (which doesn't do much for me in this meta) I have Megahorn so I can check Deo-D and Tangrowth. Bulu also walls Urshifu without Ice Punch, which is a big plus. Grassy Terrain also helps other teammates (except Rotom) and provides Dracozolt with healing to suppress life orb damage.

1656616804607.png
(MLP fanfic GONE WRONG)
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Flip Turn

Keldeo acts as speed control against a lot of threats. The most dangerous threats include: Scarf Urshifu, Scarf Nihilego, MB Nihilego, DD Salamence, Zeraora, and Moltres. Flip Turn is incase I need to predict a switch and pivot out. Hydro Pump was chosen over Scald's utility and Surf's accuracy because of the power it gives out in return. It's helped break down bulky threats like Scizor and Celesteela. HP was chosen over Icy Wind to OHKO Salamence but I'll occasionally run Icy Wind so slow down sweepers.

1656616813726.png
(This is just a guy in armor)
Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp is basically a setup sweeper who works incredibly well with Yawn support. Swords Dance + Knock Off breaks almost any wall and Sucker Punch eliminates almost threats. Defiant is an incredible ability as well. There have been games where Bisharp just sweeps whole teams with little resistance. I consistently use it as a check to Maltaria since physical sets don't OHKO it so I can hit them with Iron Head.

1656616824759.png
(Cooked)
Rotom-Heat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Rotom is, for all purposes, a Defogger. He also runs the classic Overheat and Volt Switch for utility and to defeat certain threats such as Celesteela and Amoongus. The EV spread is to just have a decent speed tier while still resembling some sort of bulk. I think I'm going to optimize it so I can outspeed certain threats like Scizor and Maltaria and have some spare EVs in defense.

Weaknesses
Maltaria

Maltaria is a big threat to this team. DD sets are incredibly challenging to stop and Special sets are even tougher since its normal check (Bisharp is killed immediately)

Amoongus
Annoying wall with Spore and Sludge Bomb, Rotom and Bisharp try their hardest to stop it but usually someone has to get hit with spore first. Hippowdon can counterplay with Yawn but it's shaky.

Nidoking
Solid 'mon and very threatening with its move versatility. It's bulk is good enough to survive High Horsepower from Dracozolt so you need to predict a move with near perfect accuracy or you die.
Replays
Battle against Nuggets (SDB), All around decent player.
I consider them to be a rival on the ladder due to how similar are skill levels are and the fact that I fight them a lot. The battle showcases mainly how yawn can be used to chip down Pokémon (from Rocks) and carve out openings for wallbreakers and setup sweepers.

Battle against MudkipBeans, NDUU Council Member and High Tier Player
I don't give myself too much credit for this one but it does a great job at showcasing the team as a whole. Winning against him was more or less cathartic since I fought him
a couple of times before and lost (the matches were pretty fun though). Just trying to be neck and neck against him is difficult. I'm sure he'd wipe me in the next match if given the chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)