Project National Dex How To Lure (Week 42: Pelipper)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is a bit of a wacky answer, but hear me out: Poison Heal Gliscor with Life Orb
:ss/Gliscor:
If you know your opponent has a mon with Toxic, and you bait out the Toxic onto your Gliscor, you would end up with not only the Life Orb's damage boost, but with the passive recovery of Poison Heal, which will actually overheal the recoil of the Life Orb.
While there isn't any specific EV spread I can think of that works, pretty much every offensive Poison Heal set will work, just swap out Toxic Orb with Life Orb.
As I said, this is more of a wacky lure, but if you can pull it off, you'll have both power and healing in one fell swoop.

Nowno

la frappe du quartier est approuvé ✅
Now this is a bit of a wacky answer, but hear me out: Poison Heal Gliscor with Life Orb
If you know your opponent has a mon with Toxic, and you bait out the Toxic onto your Gliscor, you would end up with not only the Life Orb's damage boost, but with the passive recovery of Poison Heal, which will actually overheal the recoil of the Life Orb.
While there isn't any specific EV spread I can think of that works, pretty much every offensive Poison Heal set will work, just swap out Toxic Orb with Life Orb.
As I said, this is more of a wacky lure, but if you can pull it off, you'll have both power and healing in one fell swoop.
you need to learn how to read

also voting heatran firium

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
???????

Appears we have a tie between Icium Z Blissey by agc x dababy and Firium Z Heatran by Agentkeval !. First vote in the next 24 hours will be used to determine the winner of this tie! Congratulations to Agentkeval for winning this week!

How To Lure Week 4: Heatran

:ss/heatran:

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

The fourth week finishes Friday the 2nd at 11:59 PM GTM+8. Good Luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Byleth

Retirement
:ss/mawile-mega:
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch

Heatran being a generally decent temporary Mega-Mawile switchin comes into Mawile only to see:
"Mawile is tightening it's focus!" And then the damage is done.
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Focus Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 588-692 (182 - 214.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mawile has opened the door for Serperior, Clef, Volc, etc.
(kills any heatran from full over brick break do as you see fit ig)

Last edited:

Zeno420

Banned deucer.
AV Mirror Coat Magnezone

:magnezone:

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 140 HP / 108 SpA / 148 SpD / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Mirror Coat

This spread allows u to live modest max spattack heatran earth power and you ohko back with mirror coat. Once this thing traps :heatran: heatran your opponent wont have anyway to play around it. Pairing it with volcarona is by far the best bet. Not only does it bait in tran but using it with u-turners such as corviknight that lures this demon in guarantees heatran to be gone. Enjoy!​

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:bw/clefable:
PERFECT PLACES (Clefable) @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast / Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Now normally Heatran sees CM Clef as a free entry point, especially Firium Z variants that only need to fear Thunder Wave or Thunder. However, All-Out Pummeling sends Heatran packing in an unexpected twist, OHKOing the lava frog at +1 with no chip at all. Ice Beam is also an option here, maintaining the heavy hit on Hydreigon and Garchomp while hitting Gliscor and Landorus-T, but it does force you to find other methods of dealing with Mega Medicham.

Last edited:

peap

asleep
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Waterium Z Pex

:sm/Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Waterium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 80 SpA / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover​

This is a fun little lure set that consistently beats Heatran. Toxapex is often seen as an opportunistic trade for Magma Storm Heatran, but you can turn this 1v1 on its head:
  1. The given nature, HP and SpD investment allow Pex to comfortably tank a round of Magma Storm + EP
  2. The minimal SpA investment always guarantees a 2HKO onto Tran with Z. 52 is the minimum to beat Heatran, but with 80 SpA you can 2HKO 188 SpD Gliscor as well
  3. Bonuses: earns large chip on attackers looking to set up on Pex, reduces damage from Weavile Knock Off and breaks Pressure 16 SpD Weavile Substitute
I've found genuine use for this Toxapex on fat Corv/Chans/Clef/Pex semi-stalls that otherwise struggle with Heatran. I recommend bringing a second Ash-Greninja check and special wall to make up for the lack of Black Sludge recovery.

Happy luring!

Last edited:
:ss/Scizor-Mega: @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

Scizor usually invites in Z heatran as scizor cannot touch it but this scizor outspeeds and OHKO's heatran after rocks which is not hard to achieve. Scizor never runs enough speed for heatran so this should never be scouted for

252 Atk Scizor-Mega Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 276-326 (85.4 - 100.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
HP Ground Serperior

:ss/Serperior:

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute

Normally, Heatran is one of the best answers to Serperior out there, not only taking negligible damage from even boosted Leaf Storms thanks to its 4x resistance, but also being able to completely ignore HP Fire. The best chance Serp usually has at winning the matchup is through stalling out its Fire STAB with Sub or having its team mates chip Tran into range of Leaf Storm, but that is a tall order. However, this set completely flips the matchup on its head, turning what would otherwise be an impossible matchup for Serp into an almost guaranteed win, with HP Ground either 2HKOing Tran from full or flat out OHKOing it after a single Leaf Storm. It works near perfectly as a lure as well because no matter what Heatran switches into, it either loses (Leaf Storm into HP Ground OHKOing, hard HP Ground 2HKOing, Substitute giving it a chance to do Leaf Storm> HP Ground) or getting permanently crippled (Glare). That being said, this set practically requires Magnezone support to take care of the Steels that now wall this set like Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Corviknight, and is generally best paired with stuff that really appreciates its ability to lure in and eliminate it, like Volcarona, Mega Scizor, and Mega Mawile

200 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 164-196 (50.7 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 200 SpA Serperior Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 328-388 (101.5 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
I feel there aren't many uses for a ... certain move that is unused because it sucks, but I feel like there's a niche for it in like one case, that of...

Apicot Berry Natural Gift Jirachi.

Jirachi @ Apicot Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Natural Gift
- Iron Head
- U-turn

apicot activates at 1/4 health and gives a spD boost, but when thrown with natural gift, it basically becomes the equivalent of earthquake for a 1 time use that bypasses grassy terrain.

252 Atk Apicot Berry Jirachi Natural Gift (Ground) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 348-412 (107.7 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

... just don't get knocked by ferro, pex, clef, tangrowth, fini, rilla, or gliscor thinking you're a good switch-in to a resisted move.

also literally destroys magnezone, which it easily baits in as well

Last edited:
I'm bringing back the AV Amoongus.
:ss/Amoonguss:
Yuhn Amoonguss
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The game plan is simple, you click a poison move and then click stomping trantrum
:amoonguss: 0 Atk Amoonguss Stomping Tantrum vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 360-424 (111.4 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also you live one, because of av
:heatran: 252 SpA Heatran Inferno Overdrive (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 204+ SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 342-404 (79.3 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Guess who's back, once again.
PS Edit: You can always go
:ss/Amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
for modest tran
252+ SpA Heatran Inferno Overdrive (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Assault Vest Amoonguss: 362-428 (83.9 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
proof: they did magma storm and not inferno but https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1367704148

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)