Project National Dex OU Next Best Thing: Cycle 34 - Medicham-Mega (Voting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibleachyourskin

formerly ibeat
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Last Resort
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch

This maiden with no hair will win games. Play right and KAPOW

Last edited:
SD Taunt(Stall murderer)

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch

IMPORTANT NOTE: this should only be used if you've got offense mostly covered up, since you are losing quite a lot of coverage and some bulk

You want to really destroy any stall that doesn't have quagsire? use this! Outspeeds the standard skarmory, so you SD on the switch, taunt and just click moves. However i would recommend scouting for helmet mons and knocking them of via teammates like weavile to lure skarm/other potential other users if skarm is not in ideal condition to face it. You will be losing some power and bulk but it will be worth it for thrashing stall as if it was nothing. And even then quagsire isn't even a safe switch, since it still gets 2HKOed by play rough most of the times(whereas adamant is guranteed, stealth rocks will seal the deal.

Vs Skarmory :skarmory: :rocky helmet:(likely knocked off)
SD on the switch, taunt as it tries to iron defense
+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 164+ Def Skarmory: 340-400 (102.1 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vs Quagsire :quagsire: :leftovers:
One play rough prediction on the switch away from getting koed

+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 204-240 (51.7 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Clefable :clefable: :leftovers:
Flamethower doesn't KO back :)

+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 222-262 (56.3 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 68 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 130-154 (50.3 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs fat waters :toxapex: :black sludge: OR :rocky helmet: / :alomomola: :leftovers: OR :rocky helmet:

+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 300-354 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 40 HP / 216+ Def Alomomola: 484-570 (100.6 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Vs Chansey :chansey: :eviolite:
Don't worry you still have enough power to threaten chansey, at least 11/16 of the times anyways(stealth rocks gurantees kills) :)
+2 252 Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 670-789 (95.3 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Also yes i know jolly mega maw sounds like a joke but cmon you beat something that usually you need to predict absolutely correctly to do so otherwise.

Last edited:
:sm/mawile-mega:

Mawile-Mega
Adamant Nature
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Brick Break/Ice Punch/Knock Off/Filler
- Rock Tomb

Rock Tomb may look wacky on Mega Mawile (Idk who came up with this tech first, but I remember peap mentioning it in the metagame discussion thread), but it has some benefits, such as the ability to hit stuff like Bulkarona (one of Maw's biggest annoyances), Zapdos, and Moltres super effectively without triggering their contact-move based abilities. It also possesses the ability for Maw to turn other matchups against common checks in its favor:

For example, Pokemon like Heatran, Gliscor, and Defensive Lando often switch into Maw due to their ability to handle its coverage and then outspeed it on the next turn to KO it or at least force it out. However, Rock Tomb's 100% chance of lowering Speed by 1 stage allows Mawile to hit them on the switch and then outspeed them instead to KO them with the respective coverage on the next turn (Brick Break for Tran, though Tomb into TPunch KOes offensive variants after minimal chip as well, and Ice Punch for Glisc and Lando), which can make it more difficult for your opponent to handle Mawile if they rely on these mons to check it.

peap

asleep
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion

Mawile-Mega
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Brick Break/Ice Punch/Knock Off/Filler
- Rock Tomb

Rock Tomb may look wacky on Mega Mawile (Idk who came up with this tech first, but I remember peap mentioning it in the metagame discussion thread), but it has some benefits, such as the ability to hit stuff like Bulkarona (one of Maw's biggest annoyances), Zapdos, and Moltres super effectively without triggering their contact-move based abilities. It also possesses the ability for Maw to turn other matchups against common checks in its favor:

For example, Pokemon like Heatran, Gliscor, and Defensive Lando often switch into Maw due to their ability to handle its coverage and then outspeed it on the next turn to KO it or at least force it out. However, Rock Tomb's 100% chance of lowering Speed by 1 stage allows Mawile to hit them on the switch and then outspeed them instead to KO them with the respective coverage on the next turn (Brick Break for Tran, though Tomb into TPunch KOes offensive variants after minimal chip as well, and Ice Punch for Glisc and Lando), which can make it more difficult for your opponent to handle Mawile if they rely on these mons to check it.
I first saw Byleth with the Rock Tomb Mawile

All of these sets mentioned above are good. I think Mega Mawile can run any of its (10 choose 4) combinations of viable movesets and still put in work. One set that I do like right now is late-game cleaner Mawile.

Mawile-Mega
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch

Oftentimes Landorus-Therian pivots into Mawile hoping to get an Intimidate drop, Rocky Helmet Chip, believing that it can take at least one Play Rough. Ice Punch stops this (and Gliscor) in their tracks, removing a pivot for physical teammates or Mawile itself to break through, and easing the Sucker Punch mind games. This set fits on Bulky Offense, especially with teammates like Tapu Lele that take care of Toxapex and wear down Corviknight. Healing Wish Clefable or Blissey pair well with this Mawile set, handling a myriad number of threats in one slot while giving Mawile more than one chance to punch its weight.

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
Voting for rock tomb.
things
Hi, sure
You mentionned Shedinja, but there also are Volcarona and fast Skarmory that are able to check it - which are two Pokemon i would not consider uncommon on full stall (assuming you are thinking about M-Sableye structures). If you dig into nicher options, Wisp-O-Wisp Mew, Magnezone and Melmetal should be able to do the trick, and if you are not afraid of losing your sanity, Flame Body Heatran and Groundium Probopass works against that set too. I used all of these so i'm not inventing things, and i can attest they provide in practice the utility i expected them to fill on stall, though i wouldn't say that Heatran and Probopass do enough to actually have a niche on M-Sableye structures.

Have a nice day UwU

Hi, sure
You mentionned Shedinja, but there also are Volcarona and fast Skarmory that are able to check it - which are two Pokemon i would not consider uncommon on full stall (assuming you are thinking about M-Sableye structures). If you dig into nicher options, Wisp-O-Wisp Mew, Magnezone and Melmetal should be able to do the trick, and if you are not afraid of losing your sanity, Flame Body Heatran and Groundium Probopass works against that set too. I used all of these so i'm not inventing things, and i can attest they provide in practice the utility i expected them to fill on stall, though i wouldn't say that Heatran and Probopass do enough to actually have a niche on M-Sableye structures.

Have a nice day UwU
Thank you for the response, i was actually not expecting it and it was stated more as a joke rather than a genuine question. But still, i really appreciate it and this advice will probably help me to build for other stallbreaker sets as well. But no offense i don't really hate stall i just feel like they have the potential to work

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Congrats WM2N for your win this cycle!

De wallbreaker a wallbreaker y tiro porque me lleva la corriente (Spanish joke ignore it).

:ss/medicham-mega:
Medicham is a huge threat to a great part of the metagame thanks to its great STAB coverage as well as other options such as Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Fake Out and Bullet Punch covering those specific victims its STAB can't deal with. Its movepool isn't short at all, and here's where you surprise me with great sets to try on ladder.

Deadline: Sunday 24th
Banned Sets

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch / Ice Punch

ibleachyourskin

formerly ibeat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Recover
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Sub Toxic

Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Toxic

Fat psychics and pivoting are the usual ways of warding off mega medicham defensively, so what do we do? why we just use sub toxic and opponent is gonna have a real nightmare. The only counters that's not really affected by this change are reuniclus and mega sableye, both having their own huge flaws here. Mega sableye is hardly or even never seen outside of stall teams, which is a bad teamstyle currently and reuniclus being an uncommon choice as well, + with a little chip damage on reuniclus and it will fold to zen headbutt flinch + 2 high jump kicks, which can be achieved by substituting on the switch. Oh and clefable which you have unfavorable odds to 2HKO? Well it only really comes in on prediction high jump kicks, and medicham usually won't gamble for the flinch less it takes heavy damage or dies, but sub negates the predicting part, and gives a more favorable way to get a flinch. Oh and substitute also kinda shores up it's mediocre speed, as offensive teams need to actually break the sub in order to let way for revenge killing instead of just playing sack wars.

Vs reuniclus with a z crystal :reuniclus: :fightinium-z: / :electrium-z:
252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Reuniclus: 98-116 (23.1 - 27.3%) -- 62.3% chance to 4HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Reuniclus: 159-188 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

98 + 159 + 159 = 416, and reun max hp is 424, unlikely to get 3 of the lowest rolls in a row, and even if you do 8 HP is not hard chip to get :)

Vs Clefable with leftovers :clefable: :leftovers:

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Most people know this anyways, it's just here as a reference on how deadly this thing it when it gets da flinch against clef.

More situations will be added :)
7 May(my timezone): i think i will try to stop making promises on projects i'm sorry but who even notices this when voting is about to end

Last edited:
Manolo (Medicham-Mega) (M) @ Medichamite
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt

MCham becomes into a great Revenge Killer, Adamant Double Priority hurts a lot, more especifically, after Fake Out-BP combo everyting faster lose 50% (or more) in a row
Adamant could be a problem cause lose the Match up aganist things like Zard Y, Hydreigon, Lele, but still faster than fini SO it's fine

Funny fact is Adamant guaranted a 3HKO on slowbro and 2HKO on clef
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 210-247 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This still loses to sableye and aegislash but every Champ does so I hope someone propose foresigth

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Manolo (Medicham-Mega) (M) @ Medichamite
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt

MCham becomes into a great Revenge Killer, Adamant Double Priority hurts a lot, more especifically, after Fake Out-BP combo everyting faster lose 50% (or more) in a row
Adamant could be a problem cause lose the Match up aganist things like Zard Y, Hydreigon, Lele, but still faster than fini SO it's fine

Funny fact is Adamant guaranted a 3HKO on slowbro and 2HKO on clef
252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 210-247 (53.2 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

This still loses to sableye and aegislash but every Champ does so I hope someone propose foresigth
changing the nature isn't enough to make it a different submission, make a new one pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)