Monotype [NDM] Slicing Stone (Mono Rock HO)

Is Terrakion being taken to the retirement home

• Have fun in the retirement home, Terrakion!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • It can chill with its grandkid, Iron Boulder.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • "I didn't hear no bell" -Terrakion, December 2023

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yo, it's Rex again back with another National Dex Monotype RMT. This time I have a mono rock HO team with an offensive core of terrakion + iron boulder, which is not very often used. Imo, there is no reason why the king of mono rock should step down when a good, new mon complements it well, even if there's a little role overlap.

The Team

:Shuckle: is the suicide lead of the team. Final gambit allows shuckle to fulfill its sole purpose of setting webs and dying. Toxic makes shuckle semi-hard to switch into, as not a lot of mons that can switch into final gambit can also switch into toxic. Rocks provide good chip. Sticky webs is what this whole team is built around. It is legit the best hazard, imo, and would dominate a lot more metagames if it was distributed more widely. -1 speed every time a mon switches in drastically changes the game. Sturdy near guarantees you getting webs up. Mental herb stops taunt, encore, attract, and disable (the last 2 are a lot less relevant but still). Spread is a standard physdef spread.

:Ogerpon_Cornerstone: is the first physical wallbreaker of the team. Horn Leech gives the cute lil ogre a good grass stab move, which provides a lil bit of recovery and helps against ground and water types. Ivy cudgel is literally stone edge but no rng induced ptsd (yay). Knock off provides item removal, which is key on a sticky webs team. If ivy cudgel hits hard, swords dance takes that and sticks 7 inch knives all over it. Sturdy basically guarantees you get +2 attack, and it synergizes well with horn leech, as you sometimes get 2 sturdies (how the hell do I phrase it without it sounding weird?). Spread is a standard max speed spread.

:Diancie_Mega: is the special wallbreaker of the team. Diamond storm gives it good rock stab that allows you to beat blissey. Moonblast gives you diancie's best fairy stab, which beats dragon, the best type in the game (at least for NDM). Earth Power gives diancie edgequake coverage, allowing it to beat steel types that would be scary if it didn't. Mystical fire allows it to beat ground immune steel types and grass types, which threaten rock types. Magic bounce is good against stall, as it allows diancie to bounce status back (also it bounces back hazards). Spread is a pretty standard timid diancie.

:Terrakion: is the second physical wallbreaker and Z abuser of the team. Now we're getting into the spice of the team. Stone edge is the best rock stab. Close combat is the best fighting stab, period (also it is one of the most spammable moves in the game). Earthquake gives it edgequake coverage, dealing with most steel types. Swords dance gives terrakion a massive attack boost. Justified allows terrakion to counter dark types and absorb knock off for boulder. Fightium z is haha funny nuke button. Spread is a pretty standard jolly terrakion.

:Iron_Boulder: is the scarfer, revenge killer, and main wincon of the team. Mighty cleave is boulder's best rock stab, as it breaks through protect. Zen headbutt is the best psychic stab, dealing with fighting types for the team and terrakion. Close combat covers dark types for boulder. Earthquake gives it edgequake coverage. Scarf allows boulder to clean up late game and revenge kill mons. Now, scarf may not be completely necessary on a sticky webs team, but I have it to outspeed threats like sneasler and deal with them (scarf boulder outspeeds -1, unburden boosted sneasler) Spread is yet another standard jolly spread.

:Coalossal: is the scizor check, hazard removal, and spikes setter of the team. Flamethrower gives it fire stab and a way to ohko both scizor and mega-scizor. Rapid spin removes hazards from your side of the field, which isn't necessary bc of diancie, but is still a nice backup in case you misplay and allow them to set hazards up. Spikes provides extra chip damage. Will-o is for damage reduction and chip damage. Flame body deters u-turn and some priority moves. Boots is pretty standard. Spread is a standard coalossal spread.

Rough Matchups:
Just a little warning, these are rough gameplans, meaning they don't cover all the tiny little intricacies about a gameplan, they're more so something you can base a gameplan off of.

Fighting: For fighting, set up webs to slow sneasler down, break with diancie, and clean with boulder. For breloom, just hit it with something to get rid of sash, then use diancie to kill it.
Grass: For grass, I honestly have no clue. Sorry. Just know that ogerpon and coalossal are key and diancie will be helpful.
Ground: For ground, ogerpon's back will be tired from carrying the whole type. Hopefully, you can set up webs, and outspeed and kill everything with a +2 ogerpon. You can beat Gliscor at +4 (yeesh). Ogerpon has a 68% chance at ohkoing scarf lando-t. Ogerpon lives a band mamoswine ice shard and ohkos back at +2 or has a guranteed ohko at neutral if you have rocks up. You always do have the option of hitting hard with terrakion and diancie though.
Steel: For Steel, you probably wanna break with diancie (be careful with diancie) and terrakion, then clean up with boulder. You can deal with skarm and corv with diancie and coalossal.
Water: P much the same as ground, Just bonk everything with webs and +2 ogerpon. Oh right I have to adress barraskweda. Soooo, boulder outspeeds -1 barraskewda, even with the swift swim boost. However, it is just shy of picking up the ohko, although with rocks up it is an 81.3% chance to ohko. Still, if you can get ANY chip on skewda, it will help a lot.

Edit: Forgot the paste (seems to be a trend with me). Here are all the teams: :coalossal:, :terrakion:, :nihilego:

Last edited:

boomp

Never Give Up
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Yo, it's Rex again back with another National Dex Monotype RMT. This time I have a mono rock HO team with an offensive core of terrakion + iron boulder, which is not very often used. Imo, there is no reason why the king of mono rock should step down when a good, new mon complements it well, even if there's a little role overlap.

The Team

:Shuckle: is the suicide lead of the team. Final gambit allows shuckle to fulfill its sole purpose of setting webs and dying. Toxic makes shuckle semi-hard to switch into, as not a lot of mons that can switch into final gambit can also switch into toxic. Rocks provide good chip. Sticky webs is what this whole team is built around. It is legit the best hazard, imo, and would dominate a lot more metagames if it was distributed more widely. -1 speed every time a mon switches in drastically changes the game. Sturdy near guarantees you getting webs up. Mental herb stops taunt, encore, attract, and disable (the last 2 are a lot less relevant but still). Spread is a standard physdef spread.

:Ogerpon_Cornerstone: is the first physical wallbreaker of the team. Horn Leech gives the cute lil ogre a good grass stab move, which provides a lil bit of recovery and helps against ground and water types. Ivy cudgel is literally stone edge but no rng induced ptsd (yay). Knock off provides item removal, which is key on a sticky webs team. If ivy cudgel hits hard, swords dance takes that and sticks 7 inch knives all over it. Sturdy basically guarantees you get +2 attack, and it synergizes well with horn leech, as you sometimes get 2 sturdies (how the hell do I phrase it without it sounding weird?). Spread is a standard max speed spread.

:Diancie_Mega: is the special wallbreaker of the team. Diamond storm gives it good rock stab that allows you to beat blissey. Moonblast gives you diancie's best fairy stab, which beats dragon, the best type in the game (at least for NDM). Earth Power gives diancie edgequake coverage, allowing it to beat steel types that would be scary if it didn't. Mystical fire allows it to beat ground immune steel types and grass types, which threaten rock types. Magic bounce is good against stall, as it allows diancie to bounce status back (also it bounces back hazards). Spread is a pretty standard timid diancie.

:Terrakion: is the second physical wallbreaker and Z abuser of the team. Now we're getting into the spice of the team. Stone edge is the best rock stab. Close combat is the best fighting stab, period (also it is one of the most spammable moves in the game). Earthquake gives it edgequake coverage, dealing with most steel types. Swords dance gives terrakion a massive attack boost. Justified allows terrakion to counter dark types and absorb knock off for boulder. Fightium z is haha funny nuke button. Spread is a pretty standard jolly terrakion.

:Iron_Boulder: is the scarfer, revenge killer, and main wincon of the team. Mighty cleave is boulder's best rock stab, as it breaks through protect. Zen headbutt is the best psychic stab, dealing with fighting types for the team and terrakion. Close combat covers dark types for boulder. Earthquake gives it edgequake coverage. Scarf allows boulder to clean up late game and revenge kill mons. Now, scarf may not be completely necessary on a sticky webs team, but I have it to outspeed threats like sneasler and deal with them (scarf boulder outspeeds -1, unburden boosted sneasler) Spread is yet another standard jolly spread.

:Coalossal: is the scizor check, hazard removal, and spikes setter of the team. Flamethrower gives it fire stab and a way to ohko both scizor and mega-scizor. Rapid spin removes hazards from your side of the field, which isn't necessary bc of diancie, but is still a nice backup in case you misplay and allow them to set hazards up. Spikes provides extra chip damage. Will-o is for damage reduction and chip damage. Flame body deters u-turn and some priority moves. Boots is pretty standard. Spread is a standard coalossal spread.

Rough Matchups:
Just a little warning, these are rough gameplans, meaning they don't cover all the tiny little intricacies about a gameplan, they're more so something you can base a gameplan off of.

Fighting: For fighting, set up webs to slow sneasler down, break with diancie, and clean with boulder. For breloom, just hit it with something to get rid of sash, then use diancie to kill it.
Grass: For grass, I honestly have no clue. Sorry. Just know that ogerpon and coalossal are key and diancie will be helpful.
Ground: For ground, ogerpon's back will be tired from carrying the whole type. Hopefully, you can set up webs, and outspeed and kill everything with a +2 ogerpon. You can beat Gliscor at +4 (yeesh). Ogerpon has a 68% chance at ohkoing scarf lando-t. Ogerpon lives a band mamoswine ice shard and ohkos back at +2 or has a guranteed ohko at neutral if you have rocks up. You always do have the option of hitting hard with terrakion and diancie though.
Steel: For Steel, you probably wanna break with diancie (be careful with diancie) and terrakion, then clean up with boulder. You can deal with skarm and corv with diancie and coalossal.
Water: P much the same as ground, Just bonk everything with webs and +2 ogerpon. Oh right I have to adress barraskweda. Soooo, boulder outspeeds -1 barraskewda, even with the swift swim boost. However, it is just shy of picking up the ohko, although with rocks up it is an 81.3% chance to ohko. Still, if you can get ANY chip on skewda, it will help a lot.
Im not going to lie, this team is very good when seeing it. few inputs i would consider doing since this is a HO Rock team.
- :nihilego: over :terrakion: Now I understand the reasoning behind terrakion and i respect it, but relying m diancie as your only special wallbreaker would be dire for the team, nihilego act as a second sweeper + with beast boost allowing some ease with its colorful moveset in tbolt, hp ice and grass knot. Also it helps in the grass and fairy matchup as well so thats a plus.
- :arcanine-hisui: over :coalossal: as much as im a huge advocate for coalossal, i think overall the team would just benefit from hisuian arcanine in that slot. Band or even fighting or fire z can be use to help very atrocious matches like steel and blowing up clod. Yes Scizor is a problem but the team wants to utilize as much abusers of sticky web. If anything you just lead in the bug matchup with Hisuian Arcanine and just click head smash to victory.
Overall I love the team and the process behind the Terrakion hyper offense i give this team an 9/10! #RockNation

Im not going to lie, this team is very good when seeing it. few inputs i would consider doing since this is a HO Rock team.
- :nihilego: over :terrakion: Now I understand the reasoning behind terrakion and i respect it, but relying m diancie as your only special wallbreaker would be dire for the team, nihilego act as a second sweeper + with beast boost allowing some ease with its colorful moveset in tbolt, hp ice and grass knot. Also it helps in the grass and fairy matchup as well so thats a plus.
- :arcanine-hisui: over :coalossal: as much as im a huge advocate for coalossal, i think overall the team would just benefit from hisuian arcanine in that slot. Band or even fighting or fire z can be use to help very atrocious matches like steel and blowing up clod. Yes Scizor is a problem but the team wants to utilize as much abusers of sticky web. If anything you just lead in the bug matchup with Hisuian Arcanine and just click head smash to victory.
Overall I love the team and the process behind the Terrakion hyper offense i give this team an 9/10! #RockNation
Ngl, I completely forgot rocky boi existed, will definitely use it ove coalossap, as I found it often just didn't do much.
Originally I had nihilego over coalossal, but decided I needed an answer against scizor. Honestly, might be time to bring the jellyfish back tho. Honestly, might just have 2 versions of the team, one with terrakion and one with nihilego. Tyvm boomp! #RockNation

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)