SM OU Need help with my competitive team

So I'm new to competitive pokemon and I wanted to know anyway I could improve my team, and any tips that anyone could have would be greatly appreciated!

For the Items I went with items that were recommended to me by someone I know, as well as looking through Smogon to determine what was the best item to take for that particular pokemon

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough

I picked Mimiky as my main sweeper, as he is able to switch in on any one free hit or to be used as a lead to set up with swords dance, I use Swords Dance to set up, as I have the possibility for one free turn with it, I have Shadow Claw because it can crit easily and is a good STAB move, I have Shadow Sneak as another Ghost type move simply to hit a super effective attack on a pokemon that might be faster then Mimikyu, and I have Play Rough as more of a cover STAB move to help deal with pesky Dragon types that may harm my team, as Mimikyu is immune to both Dragon and Fighting

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Zen Headbutt

I picked Mega Medicham because he helps deliver a good amount of coverage moves with the different punches, as Ice Punch is super effective against both Flying and Ground types, and Fire Punch is simply there to help deal with Bugs and Grass types, although I may switch this to Thunder Punch to deal with Water types instead. Power-Up Punch I use as a boosting STAB move as it gives more damage for Medicham's other moves. Zen Head is the last move and is used for another coverage option that also has a STAB

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

I picked Garchomp because he is a bulky sweeper that has some good coverage. I picked Dragon Claw, for the STAB bonus and for some good damage. I picked Earthquake for the same reasons as Dragon Claw, and picked Crunch to give him some coverage choice. I picked Fire Fang to help deal with any potential Ice types that may come and try to disrupt him.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- U-turn

I picked Volcarona to deal with the Grass pokemon issue that my team may have to face, as it has two good types against them, as well as ice types. I picked Quiver Dance to help boost up and make him have the possibility to setup and sweep. I picked Bug Buzz as a good STAB option against Grass, Psychic and Dark types. I picked Fiery Dance for a good Fire type STAB, with the chance to help Volcarona gain some extra Special Attack. Last I picked U-Turn as more of a safety option in case I need to get a surprise switch out, but thinking of changing this move to possibly help with coverage.

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Scald
- Poison Jab

I picked Toxapex for it's bulk, mainly to use as a lead in option to set up toxic spikes against the enemy team and for possible switch in if a move needs to be tanked. I picked Toxic Spikes to help spread poison to the enemy team as mentioned earlier. I picked Recover to help gain back HP and stall if needed. I picked Scald because it is a good STAB move for Toxapex and can cause burns in case of a pokemon not being able to be poisoned. Finally I picked Poison Jab for the STAB and the extra chance of poisoning the other lead pokemon.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

I picked Magnezone to help deal with any Fairy types and any Flying types, as I realised I didn't have much of an answer for either. I picked Flash Cannon as a STAB move to deal with Fairy pokemon. I picked Thunderbolt for a STAB move to deal with both Flying and Water types. I picked Hidden Power Fire to help deal with another Magnezone or Steel type that might switch in and trap my Magnezone. I picked Toxic simply to put out more poisoned status effects, but willing to look into another option here.

Hey not bad but I do have two suggestions that may improve your team. First, I would take out power-up punch for high jump kick. It does more damage than any other attack in medichams arsenal. Medicham is pretty fragile as well so its very risky to try and increase atk through power-up punch. Also, its very low in power. Even to a offensive Tyranitar which has a x4 weakness would need to be 2HKO'd with power-up punch.

Second, I would take roost over u turn with Volcarona as it can help you stack quiver dance against offensive sp.atk pokemon.

1. Your Medicham set is off. Fighting STAB negates the key need for Fire coverage in steel types, and PUP is too weak to consider STAB. High Jump Kick is basically essential. If you want to use PUP, use Lopunny for the extra speed.
2. Your Garchomp is easy to wall. Again Ground STAB means that Fire coverage is useful only for Ferro and Celesteela, both of whom can't stay in due to Magnezone. I'd replace Fire Fang with Swords Dance.
3. U-turn doesn't do anything on Volcarona. If you can't find a coverage option you like, stick to Roost. I also much prefer bulky Volc sets but that's more a matter of opinion.
4. Poison Jab doesn't count as a STAB attack, because it doesn't do any damage. If you want to hit Bulu, replace Scald with Haze. Without Haze, Toxapex is just setup fodder. But I'd definitely advise using Scald over Poison Jab.
5. Bulky Magnezone wants to switch in on pokemon like Bulu and Celesteela, so a Balloon just gets popped. I'd use Leftovers or something non-restrictive like a Magnet. Or an Assault Vest and Volt Switch in place of Toxic. Sub/Leftovers can work quite well.

Team composition seems solid, although I don't think you do well against most variants of HO. Hawlucha forces you to save Mimikyu and takes a kill either way, and Rain takes a kill every turn Swampert is in. You also suffer from a lack of more general speed control, meaning Greninja and slower scarves / DD users can sweep you quite easily. Scarfchomp could solve this, or replacing Chomp with another scarfer or priority user.

1. Your Medicham set is off. Fighting STAB negates the key need for Fire coverage in steel types, and PUP is too weak to consider STAB. High Jump Kick is basically essential. If you want to use PUP, use Lopunny for the extra speed.
2. Your Garchomp is easy to wall. Again Ground STAB means that Fire coverage is useful only for Ferro and Celesteela, both of whom can't stay in due to Magnezone. I'd replace Fire Fang with Swords Dance.
3. U-turn doesn't do anything on Volcarona. If you can't find a coverage option you like, stick to Roost. I also much prefer bulky Volc sets but that's more a matter of opinion.
4. Poison Jab doesn't count as a STAB attack, because it doesn't do any damage. If you want to hit Bulu, replace Scald with Haze. Without Haze, Toxapex is just setup fodder. But I'd definitely advise using Scald over Poison Jab.
5. Bulky Magnezone wants to switch in on pokemon like Bulu and Celesteela, so a Balloon just gets popped. I'd use Leftovers or something non-restrictive like a Magnet. Or an Assault Vest and Volt Switch in place of Toxic. Sub/Leftovers can work quite well.

Team composition seems solid, although I don't think you do well against most variants of HO. Hawlucha forces you to save Mimikyu and takes a kill either way, and Rain takes a kill every turn Swampert is in. You also suffer from a lack of more general speed control, meaning Greninja and slower scarves / DD users can sweep you quite easily. Scarfchomp could solve this, or replacing Chomp with another scarfer or priority user.
To add on, the team also lacks hazard removal, which becomes problematic when your team gets worn out early on. I would suggest replacing mimikyu for a defogger with offensive presence, such as Koko, Torn-T, Lando. Mimikyu can't do much outside of a SD, and even when it does, it doesn't have the speed to justify its place on the team, especially when the team lacks speed control.

To add on, the team also lacks hazard removal, which becomes problematic when your team gets worn out early on. I would suggest replacing mimikyu for a defogger with offensive presence, such as Koko, Torn-T, Lando. Mimikyu can't do much outside of a SD, and even when it does, it doesn't have the speed to justify its place on the team, especially when the team lacks speed control.
I cant quite agree with this. The team is pretty solidly built to win with mimikyu. Volc is the mon to replace in this case as its the one with real hazard weakness.

Thank you for your suggestions! I'll look into trying them out and figuring out what will work best for my team! I can try to update you after I test out your suggestions for a bit!

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey TheShadow2250 ! Firstly, I have to say I have a few disagreements with the above changes (or the lack thereof). I feel there are still several things that need patching up to make this a solid competitive team.

Overview

1523042114549.png
1523042203913.png
1523042123355.png
1523042155690.png
1523042179864.png
1523042164348.png

Some movesets certainly need tweaking. For example, defensive Magnezone isn't viable, and Merciless is a very bad ability on Toxapex. You need a solid Ground-immunity, let alone a resist. Ground-types, because of this, become especially threatening. Strong special attackers will threaten you heavily due to Toxapex's EV spread, and the lack of hazard removal can also cause problems to your Volcarona among another Pokemon.

Major Changes

1523044167437.png
>
1523042123355.png

Landorus-Therian > Garchomp

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

I'd like to suggest a defensive Scarf Landorus. With the EVs, you outspeed Mega Alakazam and below. The rest goes into bulk. You avoid a 2HKO from a Zygarde after a Dragon Dance, and 87.5% of the time, you're avoiding an OHKO from a Z-Outrage after a Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock. You can get off Defogs reliably thanks to the high speed and additional bulk. You now have a Ground-immunity, so Landorus should solidly check offensive Ground-types like Excadrill or opposing Lando.

>
1523042164348.png

Heatran > Magnezone

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is a far better defensive Steel-type than Magnezone. It can run Stealth Rock, as Landorus-Therian is using Defog. Magma Storm and Taunt helps breaking past Pokemon like Mew and Clefable for Medicham. Heatran can also trap Toxapex for Volcarona. A Bulky Magnezone such as that is not viable at all

Minor Changes

1523042203913.png

Fake Out > Fire Punch | High Jump Kick > Power-Up Punch

Fake Out allows Medicham to deal solid chip—generally about 30%— to a Pokemon before slamming it with a coverage or STAB move. High Jump Kick is Medicham's primary and most spammable STAB move. It 2HKOs even some resists. Power-Up Punch is highly unnecessary considering that Medicham is already strong enough, and Fire Punch is nearly redundant coverage.

1523042155690.png

Fire Blast > Fiery Dance | Hidden Power Ground > U-turn

Hidden Power Ground targets Heatran specifically. You have ways of beating Heatran in Medicham and Landorus, but it'll generally switch out before it can be hit hard by HJK or Earthquake.

1523042179864.png

Regenerator > Merciless | Black Sludge > Leftovers | Haze > Poison Jab | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD Calm Nature

Regenerator is miles better than Merciless, and I don't understand how no one brought up Merciless being bad. Regenerator increases Toxapex's defensive utility by a ton; it allows Pex to regain 33% of its max HP when it switches. This can slightly mitigate the effect of hazards against Toxapex, which inherently improves its abilities as a wall. Your goal as Toxapex isn't to do big damage with critical hits. Black Sludge is exclusive to Poison-types, and it can punish Trick / Switcheroo users. Haze removes set up, and Poison Jab is just useless. You'll want to run a specially defensive set to help against Greninja, Volcarona, or set up Magearna.

Importable

1523042114549.png1523042203913.png1523044167437.png1523042155690.png1523042179864.png1523047439687.png
1523042203913.png1523044167437.png1523042155690.png1523042179864.png1523047439687.png (bulu variant to help against rain)*

Tapu Koko is threatening, but you can catch it off guard with the defensive Scarf Landorus. You could opt for a specially defensive Heatran to help against Tapu Lele, but the Magma Storm stallbreaking abilities are slightly more worth it for the team offensively.
*There's even potential for AV Bulu > Mimikyu to combat rain and Mega Swampert. Tapu Bulu + Heatran is a solid core defensively and offensively.
I hope my rate helped! :psyglad:

Attachments

Hey TheShadow2250 ! Firstly, I have to say I have a few disagreements with the above changes (or the lack thereof). I feel there are still several things that need patching up to make this a solid competitive team.

Overview

View attachment 109575View attachment 109580View attachment 109576View attachment 109577View attachment 109579View attachment 109578

Some movesets certainly need tweaking. For example, defensive Magnezone isn't viable, and Merciless is a very bad ability on Toxapex. You need a solid Ground-immunity, let alone a resist. Ground-types, because of this, become especially threatening. Strong special attackers will threaten you heavily due to Toxapex's EV spread, and the lack of hazard removal can also cause problems to your Volcarona among another Pokemon.

Major Changes

View attachment 109582>View attachment 109576
Landorus-Therian > Garchomp

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

I'd like to suggest a defensive Scarf Landorus. With the EVs, you outspeed Mega Alakazam and below. The rest goes into bulk. You avoid a 2HKO from a Zygarde after a Dragon Dance, and 87.5% of the time, you're avoiding an OHKO from a Z-Outrage after a Dragon Dance and Stealth Rock. You can get off Defogs reliably thanks to the high speed and additional bulk. You now have a Ground-immunity, so Landorus should solidly check offensive Ground-types like Excadrill or opposing Lando.

>View attachment 109578
Heatran > Magnezone

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is a far better defensive Steel-type than Magnezone. It can run Stealth Rock, as Landorus-Therian is using Defog. Magma Storm and Taunt helps breaking past Pokemon like Mew and Clefable for Medicham. Heatran can also trap Toxapex for Volcarona. A Bulky Magnezone such as that is not viable at all

Minor Changes

View attachment 109580
Fake Out > Fire Punch | High Jump Kick > Power-Up Punch

Fake Out allows Medicham to deal solid chip—generally about 30%— to a Pokemon before slamming it with a coverage or STAB move. High Jump Kick is Medicham's primary and most spammable STAB move. It 2HKOs even some resists. Power-Up Punch is highly unnecessary considering that Medicham is already strong enough, and Fire Punch is nearly redundant coverage.

View attachment 109577
Fire Blast > Fiery Dance | Hidden Power Ground > U-turn

Hidden Power Ground targets Heatran specifically. You have ways of beating Heatran in Medicham and Landorus, but it'll generally switch out before it can be hit hard by HJK or Earthquake.

View attachment 109579
Regenerator > Merciless | Black Sludge > Leftovers | Haze > Poison Jab | 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD Calm Nature

Regenerator is miles better than Merciless, and I don't understand how no one brought up Merciless being bad. Regenerator increases Toxapex's defensive utility by a ton; it allows Pex to regain 33% of its max HP when it switches. This can slightly mitigate the effect of hazards against Toxapex, which inherently improves its abilities as a wall. Your goal as Toxapex isn't to do big damage with critical hits. Black Sludge is exclusive to Poison-types, and it can punish Trick / Switcheroo users. Haze removes set up, and Poison Jab is just useless. You'll want to run a specially defensive set to help against Greninja, Volcarona, or set up Magearna.

Importable

View attachment 109575View attachment 109580View attachment 109582View attachment 109577View attachment 109579View attachment 109586
View attachment 109580View attachment 109582View attachment 109577View attachment 109579View attachment 109586 (bulu variant to help against rain)*

Tapu Koko is threatening, but you can catch it off guard with the defensive Scarf Landorus. You could opt for a specially defensive Heatran to help against Tapu Lele, but the Magma Storm stallbreaking abilities are slightly more worth it for the team offensively.
*There's even potential for AV Bulu > Mimikyu to combat rain and Mega Swampert. Tapu Bulu + Heatran is a solid core defensively and offensively.
I hope my rate helped! :psyglad:

hey thanks for all the suggestions! I have switched most of the moves more towards some of the suggestions, but I hadn't thought of fake out for Medicham! I dont know about the Magnezone Switch to Heatran, just because of the issue my team faces against water and flying types, although I can try this switch up and let you know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)